Remove this ad
Created by michana
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Fans DECIDE: Nyarko-san vs. Nyaruko-san
31187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
Normally I'd be inclined to go with 'Nyarko', but listening to the shorts they've got up indicates that the 'u' isn't being dropped at all, so I'll have to go with 'Nyaruko'. It's not as egregious as calling ぽぷら 'Poplar', but it's enough to change my mind.
Artfan 
33309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Indiana, USA
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
Well, I voted for Nyarko-san. At first, I was leaning toward Nyaruko-san, just because it looked better, not to mention easier to say. After reading others' comments, however, fidelity to the original name won out.
66922 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UofL; Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
Nyaruko-san sounds better that is all.
32485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
For reasons similar to others above me, I chose Nyarko as my choice. I look at "Nyarko" as a nickname for the Crawling Chaos, and it comes closer to Lovecraft's name of Nyarlathotep than the more Japanese "Nyaruko". Although it doesn't make a significant difference to me one way or another which one is ultimately used for the character.

Definitely looking forward to the Xebec series in April, and very glad that I can watch this on Crunchyroll.
37775 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Across from Cafe...
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
Voted Nyaruko because that is what the official site for the TV series is using.
38688 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
After listening to some of videos, and just recently episode 8, I'll have to go with Nyaruko
Moderator XIV
63313 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / somewhere that is...
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
I would stick to lovecraft's naming as much as possible unless you want the greater evil to eat you.
36034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / F
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
I voted for 'Nyarko', since I find that easier to say (2 syllables versus 3).

But I don't really care what they call her, so long as they call her when it's time to feast on the souls of the damned
51208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Marietta Ga.
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
I wanted to mention that in days gone by when I played the table-top RPG Call of Cthulu, we pronounced Nyarlathotep as Nee-ar-lat-ho-tep. I seem to remember -hotep being an Egyptian suffix, so it would not be Nyarla-tho-tep.

Given the practically identical phonetic value of the engilish R and L in the Japanese language I would say the r in Nyarlathotep would sound like a double Ra consonant. I would think it would be pronounced and written ニャッラトーホテップ (nyarrato-hoteppu.)

Given this logic, Nyarko-san sounds better. Also the San vs Chan debate....san as in san(ity) points works for me.

BTW if anyone can prounouce Cthulu...let me know...lol!
38323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 3/16/12 , edited 3/16/12

BioTube wrote:

It's not as egregious as calling ぽぷら 'Poplar', but it's enough to change my mind.

I don't see the problem with this considering she was named after the Poplar tree...


Cyberzerker wrote:

BTW if anyone can prounouce Cthulu...let me know...lol!

I always thought it was ca-too-loo...
40204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California
Offline
Posted 3/16/12
It doesn't have to be either.

In the Mythos, Nyarlathotep could and would change anything about himself in order to interfere with mortal affairs. He was one of the only Great Old Ones who took an interest in humans beyond turning them to cosmic space dust with a random half thought that they probably had twenty years before human and god actually met.

However they want to pronounce it in the anime is fine by me. Asking Japanese voice actors to say Nyarlathotep regularly would be almost bad as throwing them into a show where the main character was named Parallelogram. I'm just happy to know there's people out there who like Lovecraft as much as I do =).

With Lovecraft I just always go with whatever is easiest to say and never challenge anyone's respective pronunciation. You can't say any of the names right unless your mouth is full of tentacles anyway.

Now enough of this trifling banter! I must get back to my non Euclidean Geometry homework!

31187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

sdelacruz wrote:


BioTube wrote:

It's not as egregious as calling ぽぷら 'Poplar', but it's enough to change my mind.

I don't see the problem with this considering she was named after the Poplar tree...
Read my post again. They aren't saying "Poplar". They aren't even trying to say "Poplar". They're flat-out saying "Popura", with no indication anything else was ever intended. Those are the same reasons I voted for "Nyaruko" - it's what they're saying and what they're intending to say, not some approximation. Etymology is irrelevant.
15278 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / St. Louis
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
It should not matter how the Japanese romanize "Nyarlathotep", shortened, it would be "Nyar", add a "ko" and it becomes "Nyarko" - Just because Japanese is incapable of representing hard stops in written language (Thus the populace tends to be poor at pronouncing them as well.) does not mean hard stops in written word in a language that CAN do them should be ignored or changed.

Nyaruko is, again, completely unacceptable. The only way it would be acceptable is if the original name for The Crawling Chaos was "Nyarulathotep" - it's not, so we shouldn't represent it in the roman alphabet as such!
30536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 3/17/12 , edited 3/17/12

BioTube wrote:


sdelacruz wrote:


BioTube wrote:

It's not as egregious as calling ぽぷら 'Poplar', but it's enough to change my mind.

I don't see the problem with this considering she was named after the Poplar tree...
Read my post again. They aren't saying "Poplar". They aren't even trying to say "Poplar". They're flat-out saying "Popura", with no indication anything else was ever intended. Those are the same reasons I voted for "Nyaruko" - it's what they're saying and what they're intending to say, not some approximation. Etymology is irrelevant.


In an early chapter it's mentioned specifically that "Poplar" is the English name of the tree she was named for (by her parents, in hopes that she would be tall and slender), making that a situation like the "Greg/Guregu" example mentioned earlier. (Theoretically, Poplar would have at least taken time to learn to pronounce her own name with proper English phonemes, but that's not the same as her seiyuu doing so, for a potentially one-off character.)
Perhaps a better example there would be the phonetic "Gu-re" pronunciation being translated as "Grey" in Fairy Tail. Looking at other anime, we see Asuka Langley, Belldandy, Chocolove (who actually made a running gag out of this situation, thanks to the lack of a V in Japanese), Charlotte Dunois, Laura Bodewig, and others that have names that cannot be replicated correctly in kanji, and are pronounced in the same way that the approximate kanji are written.

In a more real-life situation, when I was a kid on Okinawa, my dad (Michael) had a very close Okinawan friend that was only able to correctly pronounce his name consistently after a couple of years. Worth noting is that when dad had to use kanji (writing his name for Japanese classes or for acquaintances who had trouble with the roman alphabet, for example) his name wound up being "Maikeru", and I often heard it pronounced as such. My own name (Loren) at least got the correct full stop at the end, but neither the L nor the R got pronounced as they would in English proper.

Overcoming your native phonemes takes a phenomenal amount of work, and is not happening for the sake of an anime character or casual acquaintance, which makes your argument a bit pointless.

There is no reason that the limitations of kanji should stop the translation back to the language that the name was borrowed from, or to any language that phonetically supports the original pronunciation, from being corrected to the native form of the name.
62432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
Nyarko, because it is easier to say in a deep, scary, Boris Karloff kind of voice.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.