First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
17 y.o. Black Teen Shot By White Man For Looking Suspicious
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/17/12 , edited 3/17/12


ORLANDO, Florida (Reuters) - The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.

Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said.

"He was a good kid," Crump said in an interview, adding that the family would issue a call for the Watch captain's arrest at a news conference on Thursday. "On his way home, a Neighborhood Watch loose cannon shot and killed him."

Trayvon, who lived in Miami with his mother, had been visiting his father and stepmother in a gated townhome community called The Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, 20 miles north of Orlando.

As Trayvon returned to the townhome, Sanford police received a 911 call reporting a suspicious person.

Although names are blacked out on the police report, Crump and media reports at the time of the shooting identified the caller as George Zimmerman who is listed in the community's newsletter as the Neighborhood Watch captain.


Without waiting for police to arrive, Crump said, Zimmerman confronted Trayvon, who was on the sidewalk near his home. By the time police got there, Trayvon was dead of a single gunshot to the chest.

"What do the police find in his pocket? Skittles," Crump said. "A can of Arizona ice tea in his jacket pocket and Skittles in his front pocket for his brother Chad."


Zimmerman could not be reached for comment on Wednesday evening at a phone number listed for him on the community's newsletter.

Crump said the family was concerned that police might decide to consider the shooting as self defense, and that police have ignored the family's request for a copy of the original 911 call, which they think will shed light on the incidents.

"If the 911 protocol across the country held to form here, they told him not to get involved. He disobeyed that order," said Ryan Julison, a spokesman for the family.

"He (Zimmerman) didn't have to get out of his car," said Crump, who has prepared a public records lawsuit to file on Thursday if the family doesn't get the 911 tape. "If he never gets out of his car, there is no reason for self-defense. Trayvon only has skittles. He has the gun."

Since Trayvon, a high school junior who wanted to be a pilot, was black and Zimmerman is white, Crump said race is "the 600 pound elephant in the room."


"Why is this kid suspicious in the first place? I think a stereotype must have been placed on the kid," Crump said.

Source.




________________________

Fucking stereotypes.
This was a racially motivated crime.
He needs to be put in jail.

Edit:

SELF DEFENSE MY ASS!
The boy was yelling for help for God's sake!

SIGN THIS PETITION
Prosecute the killer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin

38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/17/12 , edited 3/17/12


<<THIS FUCKING PISSES ME OFF BIG TIME>>

Let this"self-righteous," racist murderer rot in prison for the rest of his life. I rarely wish misfortune upon someone, but I really want this guy to drop the soap in the prison showers
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
Wait, so what happened to the murderer?
54331 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

CarboKill wrote:

Wait, so what happened to the murderer?


Free as a bird.



35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

chrome_mist wrote:

Free as a bird.




Well that's fucking stupid. Makes me dislike America even more.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/17/12 , edited 3/17/12

CarboKill wrote:


chrome_mist wrote:

Free as a bird.




Well that's fucking stupid. Makes me dislike America even more.


we have a fucked up justice system really. We're far too liberal now.

Edit: We need someone to go all "Law Abiding Citizen" (the movie) on the justice system in America.
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Mangasurf wrote:

Edit: We need someone to go all "Law Abiding Citizen" (the movie) on the justice system in America.


That's actually one of my favourite movies of all time. That guy is badass.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

CarboKill wrote:


Mangasurf wrote:

Edit: We need someone to go all "Law Abiding Citizen" (the movie) on the justice system in America.


That's actually one of my favourite movies of all time. That guy is badass.


Same here. For a fictional film it sure does strike straight to the core in showing real issues concerning the justice system here...

You live in England? how's it there?
35796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Stoke, England
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Mangasurf wrote:

Same here. For a fictional film it sure does strike straight to the core in showing real issues concerning the justice system here...

You live in England? how's it there?


Not perfect, but in my opinion it's better than the USA's. I mean, not a single person gets away with crazy things like this dickhead did. It does have a bit of a problem with police brutality though.
38859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Southern Californ...
Offline
Posted 3/17/12


Police brutality eh? We have that here as well, but it isn't as prominent I guess. What pisses me off most is our leniency with all gang members and how little time they serve if they aren't convicted for 1st or 2nd degree murder. Its catching fish but being too much of a pussy to keep and eat them, so you let them go.

My stance is: anybody affiliated with a notorious gang who is arrested should serve the sentence based on what the gang has done as a whole.

Our leniency with criminals will be our undoing.
58039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California, USA.
Offline
Posted 3/17/12
The only racial thing of note so far is that the kid was black. Why do people always jump to the conclusion that it was a racist crime? I think that is very ignorant. Can't ever grow up as a nation with people thinking like that. If there were more evidence to prove it I would agree, but I don't jump the gun like most seem to do.

Anyways from what I've seen it sounded like the cop was in the wrong. The kid seemed to be screaming for help, nearly crying. Very sad but I haven't heard the other side of the story. People always are against the police on these sort of things even though they risk their lives for every call they get. The least you can do is hear them out.
45769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / pLaNeT eArTh???
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

GrimCooler wrote:

The only racial thing of note so far is that the kid was black. Why do people always jump to the conclusion that it was a racist crime? I think that is very ignorant. Can't ever grow up as a nation with people thinking like that. If there were more evidence to prove it I would agree, but I don't jump the gun like most seem to do.

Anyways from what I've seen it sounded like the cop was in the wrong. The kid seemed to be screaming for help, nearly crying. Very sad but I haven't heard the other side of the story. People always are against the police on these sort of things even though they risk their lives for every call they get. The least you can do is hear them out.


I tend to agree with you there. It's a 50/50 chance it was a race crime, because for all we know the man may have even shot a white/Spanish/Asian boy that walked down the street. The news is handling it good I think by only implying it's a possibility and not very likely because he was black. Think of it this way: If they didn't even mention it as a possibility there would be outrage from people declaring it's a coverup or something,

All in all though...no matter what happened and the motives behind it, it all seems strange. What was really strange was the cries for help. I mean, they were loud and obvious. And how could that be justified self-defense? I am sure there is much more the police already found out but not releasing. Did the shooter have some sort of mental disorder? I mean there's so many things that could explain it, but still this story is all kinds of messed up.
58039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California, USA.
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Maiden_aya wrote:


GrimCooler wrote:

The only racial thing of note so far is that the kid was black. Why do people always jump to the conclusion that it was a racist crime? I think that is very ignorant. Can't ever grow up as a nation with people thinking like that. If there were more evidence to prove it I would agree, but I don't jump the gun like most seem to do.

Anyways from what I've seen it sounded like the cop was in the wrong. The kid seemed to be screaming for help, nearly crying. Very sad but I haven't heard the other side of the story. People always are against the police on these sort of things even though they risk their lives for every call they get. The least you can do is hear them out.


I tend to agree with you there. It's a 50/50 chance it was a race crime, because for all we know the man may have even shot a white/Spanish/Asian boy that walked down the street. The news is handling it good I think by only implying it's a possibility and not very likely because he was black. Think of it this way: If they didn't even mention it as a possibility there would be outrage from people declaring it's a coverup or something,

All in all though...no matter what happened and the motives behind it, it all seems strange. What was really strange was the cries for help. I mean, they were loud and obvious. And how could that be justified self-defense? I am sure there is much more the police already found out but not releasing. Did the shooter have some sort of mental disorder? I mean there's so many things that could explain it, but still this story is all kinds of messed up.


I agree it sounds like the kid was crying for help and seems like he is completely in the right. What I don't understand is why he is screaming for help because if a police officer is holding a gun up at you why do you need to scream for help like you are being beaten to death? The killing blow was 1 gunshot, I don't even know if there was any physical contact, why scream so badly?

From the evidence the police officer seems in the wrong, but that same evidence is not sufficient enough for me to decide truly who was right/wrong. Sure him only having candy and a drink means that he would have had no trouble without a gun, but some kids these days DO have guns. It's dangerous and you can't know anything for sure.
45769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / pLaNeT eArTh???
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

GrimCooler wrote:


I agree it sounds like the kid was crying for help and seems like he is completely in the right. What I don't understand is why he is screaming for help because if a police officer is holding a gun up at you why do you need to scream for help like you are being beaten to death? The killing blow was 1 gunshot, I don't even know if there was any physical contact, why scream so badly?

From the evidence the police officer seems in the wrong, but that same evidence is not sufficient enough for me to decide truly who was right/wrong. Sure him only having candy and a drink means that he would have had no trouble without a gun, but some kids these days DO have guns. It's dangerous and you can't know anything for sure.


No what makes this even stranger is that this wasn't a cop, just someone from neighborhood watch. With cops I know they have to "brush over" some details. But this was just a regular guy who shot him. That's why I'm mystified that they aren't pursuing it more. I'd understand if it was a cop the need for hush hush, but it wasn't.
58039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / California, USA.
Offline
Posted 3/17/12

Maiden_aya wrote:


GrimCooler wrote:


I agree it sounds like the kid was crying for help and seems like he is completely in the right. What I don't understand is why he is screaming for help because if a police officer is holding a gun up at you why do you need to scream for help like you are being beaten to death? The killing blow was 1 gunshot, I don't even know if there was any physical contact, why scream so badly?

From the evidence the police officer seems in the wrong, but that same evidence is not sufficient enough for me to decide truly who was right/wrong. Sure him only having candy and a drink means that he would have had no trouble without a gun, but some kids these days DO have guns. It's dangerous and you can't know anything for sure.


No what makes this even stranger is that this wasn't a cop, just someone from neighborhood watch. With cops I know they have to "brush over" some details. But this was just a regular guy who shot him. That's why I'm mystified that they aren't pursuing it more. I'd understand if it was a cop the need for hush hush, but it wasn't.


That's true, it does feel like he went out of his way to do this. I don't know what happened and I do think they should pursue it.

Where I live almost every person walking down the street looks suspicious. So many little gangster kids these days we just ignore it and drive on.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.