First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Are we getting true 1080p on Crunchyroll?
44857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/18/12 , edited 3/18/12
I'm asking this because I haven't really seen the big difference between 720p and 1080p on Crunchyroll whereas I can see it in general the jump from a HD DVD to Blu-Ray quality, so do guys think that they're just simply upscaling it from 720p to 1080p? or that we're getting real 1080p content

Both with video smoothing
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
Both HD DVD and Blu-ray are capable of storing 1080p resolution. In fact, it appears as though they both support the same formats. There doesn't appear to be any difference at all between HD DVD quality and Blu-ray quality, at least from what I read.

As for whether Crunchyroll is upscaling 720p to 1080p just so that they can claim to stream 1080p content, I rather doubt it. Admittedly, I have no basis for this argument except that it just doesn't seem to me like something Crunchyroll would do.
29419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Towson, Maryland
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
Nope. Japanese TV signals max out at 720p, so this is just upscaled 720p (and sometimes upscaled 480p, for stuff like Naruto and Fairy Tail).
104111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 3/18/12 , edited 3/18/12
most 1080p is unscaled, to my eyes a year or so back it seemed as the 1080p was 1080i which is crap

I also like to ask the anal people on the resolution front *you know who you are*

can you honestly tell the difference between 1080p and 720p when you're sitting 5 feet away from the monitor???

20621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alpha Qudrant Sec...
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either. Does monitor size have an effect on this?
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

RyanSaotome wrote:

Nope. Japanese TV signals max out at 720p, so this is just upscaled 720p (and sometimes upscaled 480p, for stuff like Naruto and Fairy Tail).

Japan uses the ISDB-T standard for HDTV which supports 1080i broadcasts, just as ATSC does.

As a matter of fact, the information I was able to turn up indicates that 1080i is by far the favorite broadcast format in Japan.
44857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

visoredavenger wrote:

I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either. Does monitor size have an effect on this?


The size doesn't matter as long as you have an LCD or an LED monitor that's capable of displaying 1080p resolution then you can see it and if your graphics card can display it.
DrakeT 
38074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Unitated States
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
Yes it can, is for people, like me, who watch the site on a led TV Full HD, if you want to check out, connect your pc with and hdmi to tv or a nice high res monitor,in your normal monitor you will not see the difference
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

Tashfinz wrote:


visoredavenger wrote:

I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either. Does monitor size have an effect on this?


The size doesn't matter as long as you have an LCD or an LED monitor that's capable of displaying 1080p resolution then you can see it and if your graphics card can display it.


My phone is capable of displaying 720p, but because of the screen size I can hardly tell the difference between that and 240p. Smaller screens have smaller pixels so it's harder to see artifacts.
DrakeT 
38074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Unitated States
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

staphen wrote:


Tashfinz wrote:


visoredavenger wrote:

I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either. Does monitor size have an effect on this?


The size doesn't matter as long as you have an LCD or an LED monitor that's capable of displaying 1080p resolution then you can see it and if your graphics card can display it.


My phone is capable of displaying 720p, but because of the screen size I can hardly tell the difference between that and 240p. Smaller screens have smaller pixels so it's harder to see artifacts.


"My phone is capable of displaying 720p"

"My phone is capable of displaying 720p"

If only supports 720, you will not see the difference because it will not load as a 1080... because well.. you only support 720
53286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12 , edited 3/18/12

DrakeT wrote:


staphen wrote:


Tashfinz wrote:


visoredavenger wrote:

I can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 either. Does monitor size have an effect on this?


The size doesn't matter as long as you have an LCD or an LED monitor that's capable of displaying 1080p resolution then you can see it and if your graphics card can display it.


My phone is capable of displaying 720p, but because of the screen size I can hardly tell the difference between that and 240p. Smaller screens have smaller pixels so it's harder to see artifacts.


"My phone is capable of displaying 720p"

"My phone is capable of displaying 720p"

If only supports 720, you will not see the difference because it will not load as a 1080... because well.. you only support 720


Errrr.....I think you totally didn't read the post you just quoted.

He said that on his tiny phone screen, there is not a visible difference between 240p and 720p. Because the screen is small. In response to someone asking if screen size makes a difference. Which it does. You can only pack pixels so tightly before your eye stops being able to tell the difference. We aren't looking at the world through microscopes.

In response to the OP, Crunchyroll can only work with the source material they're given. If they aren't given something in 1080p then they have to upscale it. I find it unlikely that much of anything actually airs in 1080p
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
I have a hard time believing that the quality of the show on broadcast television in Japan has any bearing over the "true quality" of the videos here on Crunchyroll, unless it means that the producers may not have produced anything higher than 720p. On the other hand, their initial production might very well be in 1080p in anticipation of a Blu-ray release. Does anyone know if it's significantly more difficult for production companies to produce 1080p videos than it is for them to produce 720p?
37034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

Tashfinz wrote:

I'm asking this because I haven't really seen the big difference between 720p and 1080p on Crunchyroll whereas I can see it in general the jump from a HD DVD to Blu-Ray quality, so do guys think that they're just simply upscaling it from 720p to 1080p? or that we're getting real 1080p content


The videos may be upscales but if you disable video smoothing when you watch the difference becomes rather obvious.

720P

1080P
215323 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
I typically watching 720p rather than 1080p
The Wise Wizard
100945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

altairian wrote:
In response to the OP, Crunchyroll can only work with the source material they're given. If they aren't given something in 1080p then they have to upscale it. I find it unlikely that much of anything actually airs in 1080p

Crunchyroll has already stated they don't upscale, but that doesn't mean the licensor isn't upscaling the source material they provide.

Given that little actual anime series production work is currently done at 1080 vertical resolution, even most of what you see on BD is upscaled to some extent.

There is, however, a significant quality difference between a inexpensive real time upscaler (like those in HDTV displays, Blu-ray players, and upscaling DVD players), and a studio-quality upscaler that doesn't have the restriction of having to finish each frame in 1/30 or 1/60 of a second or processing frames in sequential order.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.