First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Are we getting true 1080p on Crunchyroll?
104019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

Alondite wrote:


Tashfinz wrote:

I'm asking this because I haven't really seen the big difference between 720p and 1080p on Crunchyroll whereas I can see it in general the jump from a HD DVD to Blu-Ray quality, so do guys think that they're just simply upscaling it from 720p to 1080p? or that we're getting real 1080p content


The videos may be upscales but if you disable video smoothing when you watch the difference becomes rather obvious.

720P

1080P


The 720p is crap like literal crap for a 720p *does have to do with your screen resolution

btw i'm just quoting you so i have the pictures not you in general

19188 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
I see absolutely no difference. Nice job on wasting your money :D
20198 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / My own, made-up w...
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
I just watch in 720p its less laggy and is identical in quality to 1080p.
29419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Towson, Maryland
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

staphen wrote:

I have a hard time believing that the quality of the show on broadcast television in Japan has any bearing over the "true quality" of the videos here on Crunchyroll, unless it means that the producers may not have produced anything higher than 720p. On the other hand, their initial production might very well be in 1080p in anticipation of a Blu-ray release. Does anyone know if it's significantly more difficult for production companies to produce 1080p videos than it is for them to produce 720p?


There is no reason they would give foreigners a better video feed than their own country... especially since it promotes piracy in Japan since the Japanese would be better off just downloading Crunchy rips instead of watching on TV if the quality is better.

We're dealing with the exact same feeds that air on TV, which never air above 720p. Very few are above 720p even on BD, outside of the highest budget stuff like Fate/Zero.
60157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12

RyanSaotome wrote:


staphen wrote:

I have a hard time believing that the quality of the show on broadcast television in Japan has any bearing over the "true quality" of the videos here on Crunchyroll, unless it means that the producers may not have produced anything higher than 720p. On the other hand, their initial production might very well be in 1080p in anticipation of a Blu-ray release. Does anyone know if it's significantly more difficult for production companies to produce 1080p videos than it is for them to produce 720p?


There is no reason they would give foreigners a better video feed than their own country... especially since it promotes piracy in Japan since the Japanese would be better off just downloading Crunchy rips instead of watching on TV if the quality is better.

We're dealing with the exact same feeds that air on TV, which never air above 720p. Very few are above 720p even on BD, outside of the highest budget stuff like Fate/Zero.


Your claim about Japanese television airing at a maximum of 720p has already been refuted. Additionally, if the initially produced videos have a higher resolution than those that air on broadcast television, then there's no reason not to offer a higher resolution for online streams.

As for your claim that it would promote piracy, you're jumping to conclusions. Pirates use excuses like that to justify what they're doing. They do not, however, pirate just because the resolution is better. For that matter, to claim that Crunchyroll is streaming in 1080p (even if it were just upscaled, because we don't know) would still promote piracy, by your argument.
104019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
omg good sir are we having an good old forum bashing?

are you watching this mods

make your points and leave it at that no one actually cares over the internet, let alone argue about something over the internet... that is just silly
60157 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/18/12
Sorry, I guess I was too direct toward RyanSaotome. I didn't mean for it to sound like a forum bashing. Bad habit of mine or something.
The Wise Wizard
99905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 3/18/12 , edited 3/18/12

RyanSaotome wrote:
There is no reason they would give foreigners a better video feed than their own country... especially since it promotes piracy in Japan since the Japanese would be better off just downloading Crunchy rips instead of watching on TV if the quality is better..

I would think most Japanese would prefer to watch a higher bandwidth 1080i broadcast immediately on their HDTV than a bandwidth constrained 1080p source later on their computer.

Even with CR, you have people opting to watch the 480p streams on a Roku so they can watch on their TV in favor of the 720p and 1080p streams they could watch if they used their computer.

If a Japanese pirate were looking for better quality, they would wait for the higher-bandwidth rips of the Blu-ray discs after they came out.

180320 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Somewhere in arizona
Offline
Posted 3/18/12 , edited 3/18/12
I dont know i dont like 1080p i like 480p XD
43857 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / England
Offline
Posted 3/19/12 , edited 3/19/12

greatace wrote:

I dont know i dont like 1080p i like 480p XD

104019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/19/12

Tashfinz wrote:


greatace wrote:

I dont know i dont like 1080p i like 480p XD



got trolled or trolling?
68 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/12
720p load faster r?
75652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 3/20/12 , edited 3/20/12

theandroidsoldier000 wrote:
720p load faster r?

Lower bandwidth, so less risk of buffering and less risk of the computer etc. dropping frames. You need both the effective bandwidth between your home and the CDN, and the proper gear, to get full benefit from 1080p.


RyanSaotome wrote: We're dealing with the exact same feeds that air on TV, which never air above 720p. Very few are above 720p even on BD, outside of the highest budget stuff like Fate/Zero.

The "feeds" are digitizations of digital video tape, which are 1440x1080i anamorphic in any event, even if a station elects to broadcast at a lower resolution in order to have more side by side channels on the same digital TV broadcast frequency. That's straight from Sam Pinansky, someone in the industry who has worked in the process of digitization from the original digital television video tape, which settles the question.

This confusion regarding "the resolution that they air" may come from the question of the resolution at which the materials are produced, which is something that is evolving as we speak, so its easy for someone to have learned "the right answer" in 2009, only to be completely behind the times in 2012.

If an anime is mastered at 960x540 then no matter how resolution the materials are, the best that the original video source can be is 960x540, and the 1440x1080i anamorphic feed to the broadcast station is an upscale from that. A few years back, much material that was mastered above DVD resolution seemed to be mastered at about 960x540.

Similarly if it is mastered at 1280x720 or 1440x810 ... the mastering resolution is the highest effective resolution of materials.

Back when the 1080p was introduced, this was all hashed out, someone looked at the effective resolution of materials by downscaling and upscaling back, and looking at the lowest resolution that retains all effective detail. The result was that most of the anime that have a 1080p stream had some content detected with a greater effective resolution than 720p ~ often 1440x810.

Of course, just because the mastering resolution may be 1440x810 does not mean that all of the materials used are 1440x810: you could well mix line animation at 540p with backgrounds at 810 if you wanted a lush look, or line animation at 810p with backgrounds at 540p if you wanted line animation that works seamlessly with foreground 2D CGI. Like always, you take shortcuts where the money saved lets you invest more where the director & animation studio feel will have more eye candy impact.

None of the material looked like it was produced at 1920x1080 (1080p) and downscaled onto 1080i anamorphic ... but many of the series obviously targeting the BD market seemed to be mastered at a 1440x810 resolution, which is a sweet spot as far as upscaling to 1080i anamorphic, since it only requires upscaling in one dimension, and for BD it only requires a 33% upscale, versus a 50% upscale from 1280x720 to 1920x1080, while a DVD is a 40% downscale vertical, 55% downscale horizontal, so the visual quality upgrade of the BD is more obvious.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.