Can no longer turn off subtitles?
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/25/12
Hi there, I'm a paid member of Crunchyroll, and one of the reasons I joined was for the ability to turn subtitles on and off. However since some recent updates have taken place, I can no longer turn off subtitles. In fact sometimes there are double subs, and clicking to turn them off only makes one of the layers disappear. I have tried this on multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, and Firefox) and on multiple computers running different operating systems (Windows 7 and Windows 8 preview) with no difference...
Bjaker 
52773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 3/27/12

delenir wrote:

Hi there, I'm a paid member of Crunchyroll, and one of the reasons I joined was for the ability to turn subtitles on and off. However since some recent updates have taken place, I can no longer turn off subtitles. In fact sometimes there are double subs, and clicking to turn them off only makes one of the layers disappear. I have tried this on multiple browsers (Chrome, IE, and Firefox) and on multiple computers running different operating systems (Windows 7 and Windows 8 preview) with no difference...


We pushed a fix to double subtitles late last week. Are you still encountering them?
Also, are you viewing the site in Japanese or English?
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/27/12
Yes the double subs thing seems to have fixed itself in the last few days. Usually I had the site in Japanese, until it came up in English one day on another computer. I just set it back to Japanese and now it seems fine. I'm guessing that has something to do with it? Makes sense really! Thank you Crunchyroll for being an immersion-friendly service
Bjaker 
52773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 3/27/12

delenir wrote:

Yes the double subs thing seems to have fixed itself in the last few days. Usually I had the site in Japanese, until it came up in English one day on another computer. I just set it back to Japanese and now it seems fine. I'm guessing that has something to do with it? Makes sense really! Thank you Crunchyroll for being an immersion-friendly service :)


Thank -you- for letting me know everything is working again!
5192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/27/12
I wish I knew Japanese like you, how did you learn? or are you a native speaker?
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/29/12
Hmm it was working now it's not again... specifically for the show モーレツ宇宙海賊. If I click on turn off subs, nothing happens. If I try to turn them "back on," it gives me double subs. This is on Windows 7, Chrome, Japanese interface.
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/29/12
Still learning really, by following self-immersion techniques popularized by sites like ajatt.com and japaneselevelup.com. I also have my own blog about the topic, at mojimaki.blogspot.com.
63 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 3/29/12
I just set it back to Japanese and now it seems fine.
20071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/4/12
Recorder and Randsell still has hard subs when the layout is set to Japanese.
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/20/12
I cannot seem to get a straight answer for this question. Since being able to turn off subs is one of the reasons I'm paying, if it can't get resolved then I don't see any point in paying anymore...
81273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Sandy Springs, GA
Offline
Posted 4/20/12 , edited 4/20/12

JPN-01 wrote:

Recorder and Randsell still has hard subs when the layout is set to Japanese.




delenir wrote:

I cannot seem to get a straight answer for this question. Since being able to turn off subs is one of the reasons I'm paying, if it can't get resolved then I don't see any point in paying anymore...


Recorder and Randsell does have the option to turn off subtitles. Same with モーレツ宇宙海賊. I am able to turn the subtitles off, and they stay off.

This may be tied into the flash issues, where when you're in fullscreen, you lose all the rightclick options (including subtitle options). The best workaround that I have found currently is to turn on subtitle smoothing. Do this while you're in windowed mode. Then once you're in fullscreen, you should have all the options, including turning off subtitles.

Also, Delenir, it sounds like you're having some interesting problems. Do you have an external program/plugin that is taking over the subtitling on your setup (or, even stranger, perhaps two instances of flash running)? The double subtitles sounds like a problem on your system. This is not something that I have run into in the years that I've used Crunchyroll, and should not be normal activity for the site.
20071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/20/12
I just tried Recorder and Randsell again with the site layout set to Japanese and it still has hard and soft subs. I do not use full screen and I use Google Chrome as my browser if that matters.
Also why does the Queue think all the short shows never get watched all the way through?
43034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bridgewater, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/21/12
I have tried turning off subs on various browsers including IE using Adobe Flash and Chrome which has its own flash engine. I have also tried it on two different computers with Windows 7 and Windows 8 preview respectively. And I have also tried it with both the English and Japanese layouts. I understand about the full screen thing. It's not a matter of the option not being there, it's a matter of it having no effect. The double subs no longer seems to be an issue however they still won't turn off.
Bjaker 
52773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 4/23/12
Can you try going into video preferences and changing your Subtitles setting to something other than 'English (US)' and then back to see if this corrects the issue?
20071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/12
That solved it. Thanks Bjaker!
You must be logged in to post.