First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Chipping in money - experiences?
Posted 3/29/12
From my previous experience there are good and bad things that come from combining a particular amount of money from each person and then using that whole sum to pay for the gift for someone else.

But even though there is undeniably the good benefit of being able to buy a more bigger amount of presents and also more money to spend... I have noticed the negative things as well.

Just a month ago, when I didn't pay directly to the organiser, but paid for the "second-organiser", the person took it that I didn't pay. She had seem me give the money to the other person. And not only did that she not keep the fact that I haven't handed the money to her, she went around telling the person who was going to receive the gift- and instead of saying "She didn't hand the money to me but she handed it to the other person." She said "I'm so pissed off at her. She hasn't paid for your birthday."
... She forgot that gifts are usually meant to be surprises. And that amount of money put together for it, should be kept somewhat hidden from the person on the receiving end.

Next thing occurred last week, when I payed late because I didn't bring my wallet with me.
The person said I didn't want to pay, that I looked reluctant to pay and that I used an excuse to say I didn't have my wallet with me. It was true that I didn't bring my wallet.. No surprise. I don't even carry my travel pass with me or my library card.. Or even my ipod or phone. And I did want to pay, which is why I even say yes in the first place.
And when I gave her the money the next day, after her session of ignoring me and giving me dark looks, she didn't apologize, she just gave me the wide eyed look, when you prove them wrong. And they don't like being proved wrong.

Please share your experiences if you have any... :)

And no worries.. I'll live...
It's only 18 months before I leave these people behind..
I'll delete them off my facebook account once I graduate.
Posted 3/29/12
Remarkable, people chip in. That's so nice. Even if they're not your nicest friends that's still kinda moving.

Posted 3/29/12
I only chip in to buy large gifts for friends between friends its a cool idea.
44767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 3/29/12
I only do this at work, and we only have four people in our office, so I fortunately don't run into stuff like this. Sounds like bad times. The person talking crap about you when you forgot your wallet was pretty silly. Of course you were hesitant to pay because you didn't have a means to pay. Proclaiming I forgot my wallet right off the bat would make me more dubious of the person than someone hesitating and being uncomfortable before saying it.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 3/29/12
I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

Hairbelly wrote:

I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.


Excuse me being random, but I like your name
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

Baka-God wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.


Excuse me being random, but I like your name


Thank you.
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

Baka-God wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.


Excuse me being random, but I like your name


you're alive???

topic:

why not use the money you are going to chip in to buy something with the amount of money you have??

imo being materialistic is a sign of a bad person, the idea of give is important not the material unless it is like the "new" i pad
Posted 3/29/12
I chipped in with 2 of my friends to buy a
dress that my other friend always wanted <3 And I chipped in with other friends to host a party. I chipped in other situations as well. It's a win-win situation for all.
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

AnimeKami wrote:


Baka-God wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.


Excuse me being random, but I like your name


you're alive???

topic:

why not use the money you are going to chip in to buy something with the amount of money you have??

imo being materialistic is a sign of a bad person, the idea of give is important not the material unless it is like the "new" i pad


Haha yeah.

I've been alive for a while, but seems I still can't leave this site properly enough to say I died
What about you? o:
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

Baka-God wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


Baka-God wrote:


Hairbelly wrote:

I'll chip in to buy friends group gifts and what not. Haven't had many problems.


Excuse me being random, but I like your name


you're alive???

topic:

why not use the money you are going to chip in to buy something with the amount of money you have??

imo being materialistic is a sign of a bad person, the idea of give is important not the material unless it is like the "new" i pad


Haha yeah.

I've been alive for a while, but seems I still can't leave this site properly enough to say I died
What about you? o:


Pretty much the same, and indirectly pushing the limits of how i can offend the mods
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

AnimeKami wrote:



Pretty much the same, and indirectly pushing the limits of how i can offend the mods


Mehs, the Mods nowadays are quite lenient as far I've seen, and aren't many Mini Mods around anymore that report 24/7, so gg.
Go conquer the CR site and be CrKami, LOL.

104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

Baka-God wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:



Pretty much the same, and indirectly pushing the limits of how i can offend the mods


Mehs, the Mods nowadays are quite lenient as far I've seen, and aren't many Mini Mods around anymore that report 24/7, so gg.
Go conquer the CR site and be CrKami, LOL.



I don't want to told that by you given your name lol jk.

anyways I still feel there are those mods that ban because they can.
13136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Europe
Offline
Posted 3/29/12

AnimeKami wrote:


Baka-God wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:



Pretty much the same, and indirectly pushing the limits of how i can offend the mods


Mehs, the Mods nowadays are quite lenient as far I've seen, and aren't many Mini Mods around anymore that report 24/7, so gg.
Go conquer the CR site and be CrKami, LOL.



I don't want to told that by you given your name lol jk.

anyways I still feel there are those mods that ban because they can.


Says the one that calls himself AnimeKami, lol.

Well yeah when an idiot is like yelling; BAN ME BAN ME. Don't you think a Mod wouldn't kindly respond to that? ( Not that you're one of them )
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Online
Posted 3/29/12

CandyPopShop wrote:

From my previous experience there are good and bad things that come from combining a particular amount of money from each person and then using that whole sum to pay for the gift for someone else.

But even though there is undeniably the good benefit of being able to buy a more bigger amount of presents and also more money to spend... I have noticed the negative things as well.

Just a month ago, when I didn't pay directly to the organiser, but paid for the "second-organiser", the person took it that I didn't pay. She had seem me give the money to the other person. And not only did that she not keep the fact that I haven't handed the money to her, she went around telling the person who was going to receive the gift- and instead of saying "She didn't hand the money to me but she handed it to the other person." She said "I'm so pissed off at her. She hasn't paid for your birthday."
... She forgot that gifts are usually meant to be surprises. And that amount of money put together for it, should be kept somewhat hidden from the person on the receiving end.

Next thing occurred last week, when I payed late because I didn't bring my wallet with me.
The person said I didn't want to pay, that I looked reluctant to pay and that I used an excuse to say I didn't have my wallet with me. It was true that I didn't bring my wallet.. No surprise. I don't even carry my travel pass with me or my library card.. Or even my ipod or phone. And I did want to pay, which is why I even say yes in the first place.
And when I gave her the money the next day, after her session of ignoring me and giving me dark looks, she didn't apologize, she just gave me the wide eyed look, when you prove them wrong. And they don't like being proved wrong.

Please share your experiences if you have any... :)

And no worries.. I'll live...
It's only 18 months before I leave these people behind..
I'll delete them off my facebook account once I graduate.


i feel that you didn't get the apology because they felt that they guilted you into paying.
why bother chipping in if your not doing it with a group of close friends or for good friends.
i'd say ust get your own gift.

me, my issue is that it gets competitive. cuz i always chip in 30-50 bucks and people feel like they gatta add more so that they can have an equal share of the gift.
i also don't like how my friends decide to choose a gift before figuring out how much money we have to spend. had to put in 100 bucks extra once cuz of really good friend that i felt like i owed alot and that they felt the same way but they were broke.

i do this with my close friends. we vote for whoever buys the gift and we give them money.

my biggest problem is that its not spontaneous anymore, now we gatta prank the hell outta each other before they get there gift. made a friend open 200 boxes before getting her gift. and because she didn't want to damage the "delicate" gift that we lied to her about, she had to open each tighly wrapped layers of boxes upon boxes.

another issue i see, is that one person gets a gift worth 500 bucks while another gets 300. they may feel less important. and then conflict may arise.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.