First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Philosophy: The Existence of God
Posted 3/31/12 , edited 3/31/12
God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived
It is greater to exist and be conceived than to merely be conceived
Therefore God exist

In other words, nothing is greater than God whether you believe in him or not. It is greater to exist in fact than to exist merely in thought. It is greater to actually have 10 dollars in my pocket than to only think that I have 10 dollars when I don't. If God is the greatest and it's greater to exist in real life, it follows that God exist.

Skewed logic, try to refute it.

Another thing, if it's not clear already I'm regarding this topic strictly using logic and philosophy
You can use other argument too, but those have probably been already said and done
Posted 3/31/12
Dinosaurs.
Posted 3/31/12
Zombies.
37750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Grande Prairie, A...
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
Well being Catholic I believe in the existence of God. I have to say that most people do give a sideways glance when you tell them this. When you look at things that happen in the world or how complex some things are like humans you sort of have to believe that there is some higher power at work here. It is hard to believe that the way humans work physically and psychologically is just pure coincidence and was going to happen anyways. Now thats not to say that I don't believe in concepts such as evolution. The opposite is true, I am not a fanatical zealot that opposes the existence of dinosaurs such as some Christians do. I believe that God exists and I also believe in the physical theories and concepts from regular old human beings.
32743 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
I don't follow the logic. It starts off implying that God is real, so why is the rest of the syllogism needed? I also don't see God as the tangible 10 dollar bill, since he can not be touched or seen. He seems more like a ten dollar bill you hope is there at check out.
Posted 3/31/12 , edited 3/31/12

kyletkd wrote:

Well being Catholic I believe in the existence of God. I have to say that most people do give a sideways glance when you tell them this.


I usually do that because most of you are oblivious of the fact that your religion used to burn intelligent women in the past.
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
As he was wrought with terrible pain on the cross, Jesus sighed, as the pain was more bearable than the indifference of men.

Heard that from the pope and started thinking some of the stuff religion bases itself on is pretty epic.
235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
People always wonder why we are here. To that I say, who cares? Do I believe in God? Not really. Do I believe in evolution? Not really. What do I believe in? Nothing. It happened. There's no way to prove one way or another. God, evolution ... both theories. Logic? Non-existent. Life? Meaningless. Death? Inevitable.
2185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / Behind you
Offline
Posted 3/31/12

dblade0 wrote:

People always wonder why we are here. To that I say, who cares? Do I believe in God? Not really. Do I believe in evolution? Not really. What do I believe in? Nothing. It happened. There's no way to prove one way or another. God, evolution ... both theories. Logic? Non-existent. Life? Meaningless. Death? Inevitable.


Who cares? I think everyone does at some point or another, if in the proper capacity. Everyone that has or will be will and does question life.
17276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Shuri Castle
Offline
Posted 3/31/12

shinigami2513 wrote:

I don't follow the logic. It starts off implying that God is real, so why is the rest of the syllogism needed? I also don't see God as the tangible 10 dollar bill, since he can not be touched or seen. He seems more like a ten dollar bill you hope is there at check out.


+ 1

The OP, TL;DR - "God exists and is awesome. Refute it."
235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/31/12

netdisorder

Who cares? I think everyone does at some point or another, if in the proper capacity. Everyone that has or will be will and does question life.


While I don't doubt that, I say who cares in the point that there is no answer to it.
Posted 3/31/12
There are so many philosophies, I prefer eating.
53225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/31/12 , edited 3/31/12
So, here's the structure of the syllogism (and my attempts at trying to understand your arguments):

A: God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived (God is such that nothing greater can be conceived.)
B: It is greater to exist and be conceived than to merely be conceived (To exist and be conceived is greater than to only be conceived.)
C: Therefore God exist (Therefore, God exists.)

A & B --> C (Notation used for lack of any other symbols for conjunctions and implications)

Logically, there is nothing wrong with the argument. The issue is with whether or not the assumptions (A and B ) are true, and I would like to start on that point by requesting clarification of A and B. Specifically, what do you mean by "conceived"? Also, in what sense are you using "greater" in both A and B, because if it is being used in two different senses, then the argument cannot hold.
Posted 3/31/12

entropiCCycles wrote:

So, here's the structure of the syllogism (and my attempts at trying to understand your arguments):

A: God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived (God is such that nothing greater can be conceived.)
B: It is greater to exist and be conceived than to merely be conceived (To exist and be conceived is greater than to only be conceived.)
C: Therefore God exist (Therefore, God exists.)

A & B --> C (Notation used for lack of any other symbols for conjunctions and implications)

Logically, there is nothing wrong with the argument. The issue is with whether or not the assumptions (A and B ) are true, and I would like to start on that point by requesting clarification of A and B. Specifically, what do you mean by "conceived"? Also, in what sense are you using "greater" in both A and B, because if it is being used in two different senses, then the argument cannot hold.
Interpret it anyway you want to disprove the conclusion of the argument. I can't tell you exactly what it means because it comes from an old ontological argument, they are not my words

I personally think 'conceived' means to "think of", so basically: God is that than which nothing greater can be thought of.
2243 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Indiana
Offline
Posted 3/31/12
I've gotten to a point in my life (even though I'm still 13) where I just can't believe in an all superior being watching over me and loving me. Science as helped cancel out the other few things I wasn't sure of. My instinct tells me there is no greater being than man, besides possible aliens but that's a different story. I was Catholic and I attend a Catholic school. And with something I don't believe in getting shoved down my throat each day has also slightly turned me away from religion. I"m still a good person and I do agree that people should put others before themselves even though it's hard, and that we shouldn't idolize materials items or famous people. But I think that we should help to be good people and not help to necessarily help to get to "heaven". And idolize material items and famous people is just a waste of time.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.