First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
The Best Time to be an Animé Fan Was 2002-2007
72656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12

Muledragon wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


Muledragon wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

There will always be that one guy that likes that one anime that everyone hates.

haruhi is a mediocre anime for people who think otherwise, good concept bad execution.


And there will always be that one guy who hates what everyone else loves, in this case you.

I like how your first statement seems to imply that everyone is entitled to their opinion, while your second statement claims that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.


Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have his or her opinion, but it doesn't mean they are necessary right.

There is a difference between respecting someones opinion and the values of an opinion.


It's the same thing, man. You're still saying that your opinion is the "right" one.


what?

let me reiterate

I respect a person for having the option of having an opinion and wanting an opinion.

However I do not necessarily respect the value(s) pertaining to that opinion.

There is a difference, unless you don't see it?

Yes, I think my opinion is right, but I am not saying that having an opinion is wrong but the values of that opinion is wrong.
17293 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Crapsack World
Offline
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12
IMO, the best time to be an anime fan was 80-90's where they put a big emphasis on plot quality and profit less on ecchi, Gainaxing and moeblobs. Many old anime fans considered the 80-90's as the golden age of anime were much of the content is original and revolutionary.

I grew up from the 90's anime so as I grew older and seen more anime, I tend to be less bias and more accepting to newcoming anime.

28126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12

pistolsaf wrote:
The best time to be an anime fan is now, possibly followed by tomorrow(in the general sense of the word). A fan can watch a good varitety of series hours after they air in Japan, something they really couldn't do in 2007 unless they downloaded or torrented fansubs but really fansubs depended on their deadlines and their egos and their interest so some titles that could have gained a following didn't reach through. Today, anime fans are getting a wide variety of anime that even the fansubbers probably wouldn't have carried back in 2007. Plus, people can actually support the anime industry AND get their shows within a decent time frame. Yeah, Crunchyroll certainly makes the best time for an anime fan to be now.

As far as Haibane , if you actually did some research, you would have found out that Funimation was having a very difficult time of getting Geneon Universal titles and they are just now getting those materials. Projected sales had nothing to do with it, so that's one strawman argument that's done with.

And anybody who spouts sweeping generalizations about fans of a particular genre and says "weeaboo scum" automatically loses the argument. And yes, I have seen Dance in the Vampire Bund and it sucked(pun intended). But I don't have any particular issues with the changing tastes of Japanese otaku(you know, the people who keep the anime industry in business), and thus we fundimentally disagree in that regard. Also, I get annoyed when people who haven't seen K-On bash it because they have a preconceived notion of the series(which I may add has many female fans in Japan in addition to otaku)


First of all, I didn't bash K-ON!. I wrote a blip about moéblobs specifically to go out of my way to not bash it. That type of show simply doesn't appeal to me, and I have no problem with its fans.

Second, the Japanese otaku who watch and enjoy shows like Seikon no Qwaser and Queen's Blade are gross people. Yes, they keep the industry running, but, yes, they are scum. The animé industry is an industry powered by the pulsating phalluses of lonely, disgusting people. I can acknowledge their necessity and still consider them scum.

Finally, I was unaware that they were only just getting materials from the Geneon rescues. I only saw that it was licensed back in 2010, and nothing had been done with it since, and was very disappointed. I thank you kindly for correcting me in that regard, and anxiously await a new DVD release that won't cost me $150. (Seriously, look at the prices for Haibane. Out of print is so cruel...)


AZFox wrote:
But to be quite honest, while I have seen some of the anime on that list, they don't strike me as any more impressive than earlier or later released shows. But that's my personal opinion.


Perhaps I should rephrase the title of the thread. I wasn't intending to state that those series' are all subjectively better than what came before or after, merely pointing out that the specific span of six years which I mentioned seemed to contain the highest concentration of quality titles compared to any other period of similar length.

Animé from the 80's and 90's, and a number of newer series' and movies (off the top of my head: Summer Wars, Madoka, Gunslinger Girl, Mirai Nikki, Steins;Gate, AnoHana, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Wandering Son) all live up to and often exceed the bars set by the shows that I listed.


observantzani wrote:

If you became an anime fan around 2002-2007, your tastes in anime will be more refined in the sense that you know what works for you or not. You end up becoming pickier each year or probably every season. When watching it's not hard to come up with comparisons to the gemstones of the past. So that's probably why one would think old animes are good. There will always be hits and misses every year. Either way, what you like will really be based on subjective terms.


I'm just under 20 years old, myself. I didn't start getting into animé until my freshman year of high-school (around 2006), and I believe I already mentioned that the me from that time was the type of person who thought Naruto on YouTube was as good as it gets.

I'm not some older fan sitting here preaching about "the good old days" to the uneducated masses; it's only recently that I've myself been taking the time to go back and watch multitudes of the titles that I feel I've missed out on.

What I'm trying to do with this thread is get younger and newer fans of animé to take a look back at some of the series' that have fallen into obscurity.


H3ctor87 wrote:
Not to bash your opinion for I respect it, but there's something wrong with your post. First off, the following words ARE opinions, NOT facts (substance is a slight exception. It has definitions in which some can be used as facts and others are opinions): quality, disgusting, scum, deep, meaningful and real are 100% biased. Ask anyone in your local college who has taken English comprehension courses like myself and they'll tell you no different. Even your second paragraph is an opinion, not a fact. You CANNOT--I repeat--CANNOT turn your opinions into facts. That's what manipulators, politicians, and ppl with a high school mentality (not lumping you with any of the 3). No one will take your opinion seriously if you haven't thought things through. I'll have you know that I once made an ass of myself on YouTube for trying to turn my opinions into facts thinking thanks to my former overly biased way of thinking back then. I learned my lesson the hard way.

And now for the 2nd paragraph:

-I can understand ecchi isn't your cup of tea, but I've watched some of the male fanservice romps you listed without any problems (my tastes are dictated by the characters and not the stupid things like "quality" or genres--that goes for female fanservice romps, too) and they have characters with difficulties, personal problems, and tragic/dark moments. In Queen's Blade, one of the characters dies by her best friend's hands (not spoiling away names). And in Sekirei, lots of fighters male and female "die" for lack of a better word in battle, making their friends really teary on the eyes or seek out revenge. So guess what, even they can have surprisingly meaningful moments as much as some of the shounens you disliked. No, I'm not convincing you to watch something you don't like, but judging the book by the cover based on genre only isn't helpful either (that's an error I've regrettably made on my experience).

-I see Chobits (which is an ecchi), Elfen Lied, and Gantz on your lists, yet I don't see you complaining about the fanservice they have regardless of how much. I also find it odd that you withstood the nudity in Elfen Lied and Gantz. Fullmetal Panic Fumoffu even had an ECCHI hot springs episode. So if you're ok with those that you praised, have you thought hard before looking down on the so-called scum that liked the anime you didn't enjoy? You can bash any anime anytime you want--no problem with that. But bashing on the faithful fans is another story-- it still counts being an asshole no matter what excuse you make.

-You can claim not being an "elitist asshole" but the way you word out your opinion doesn't defend it at all. Not thinking twice before dissing on others without a reason is also another way of being an asshole. And you don't have to have a superiority complex to being an elitist. There is another way--by looking down on others like calling them "scum" and "disgusting". Just because there are ppl that like something you don't doesn't give you any right to piss on them. That's very immature. The same goes for anyone that gives BL fans a hard time for that (and I sympathize with them).

Here's a fact that everyone can universally agree: Your personal taste is a matter of your opinion alone.


Only once in my previous posts did I attempt to force a personal opinion of mine into factuality. That was in regards to people who enjoy fanservice romps. My point is defending not solely through my own beliefs, but also by the very definition of common decency. Society as a whole will never take animé seriously, because they always lump the entire artistic medium into one category under ecchi shows.

In regards to the actual shows themselves, I respect that you appreciate Sekirei and Queen's Blade for their emotional plot-lines, but put forth in rebuttal that any series' which markets itself through titillation accomplishes nothing save to undermine the story behind it. If those titles really wanted you to take their plot seriously, they would try to stand on their own merits, rather than utilizing the age-old "sex sells" scheme. As such, I cannot personally hold any respect for them, as it is clear to me that profits are superior to artistic value in the eyes of their creators.

I would, however, like to state that the only reason I included Chobits on my list was because I know it to be extremely popular, and I thoroughly enjoyed the manga series. Also, anything Clamp makes is a godsend. I've never actually been able to sit through the anime, though. It was just one more title to include. Gantz... I'm not really sure how that got there.

Elfen Lied, on the other hand, is another story all together. I have no problem with nudity; I'm not some prude. My problem is with heavily sexualized nudity. Elfen Lied uses artistic nudity, like classical sculptures. Artistic nudity is a beautiful thing. Also, considering the gory premise behind Elfen Lied, I would have to question the mental stability of anyone who viewed it sexually.

I may actually be an elitist, but I would stress that I act as such only in relatively few cases. (Also, in regards to BL fans getting a hard time, I'm a straight male and I've personally watched Gravition, Loveless, Gakuen Heaven, and Junjou Romantica, and wholeheartedly enjoyed all of them. I have no tolerance for the homophobic.)


dblade0 wrote:
I'm gonna stop ya there, since I'm sure this point has already been beat to death. Not every anime or manga can have "plot" as you call it. If it's entertaining, people will watch it.

Yes, I watched K-On. I probably watched about 15 other series at the same time.

I could care less about popular anime. However, I've been watching Bleach and Naruto since their premier. I agree that they are not the best things ever. However, when I was in high school, ya know what the big thing at the time was? DBZ. DBZ is awesome. Again, not one of the best, but it was pretty damn good.

Fanservice .... yes, you are still an elitist prick saying it like that. Out of the hundreds of series I've watched, I could probably count on two hands how many were fanservice. If you mean full nudity, probably less. Elfen Leid had nudity, if I remember right? Awesome anime. Gonna completely discount it cause of nudity? Idiotic prude.

Like what you like, don't like what you don't like. Get off your high horse.

And my all time favorite anime didn't even make your list.


I'm not going to argue that every show should have a plot, as I don't personally believe it. I simply don't like the "moéblob" type of show, where it exists for the sole purpose of being "cute". If you look, I have Aria the Animation and Aria the Natural both on my list of quality shows, and Aria has, for lack of a better description, no plot. Rather than trying to be "cute", though, it exists as one of the ultimate examples of peace, serenity, and paradise. It's a very touching series.

I'm not even going to say that K-ON! is bad, and I haven't done so yet. It's just not my cup of tea.

I also never stated that the popular shounen animé titles are "bad". Just that there are multitudes of more obscure series that are significantly better. The only judgment I offered to fans of those types of shows is that they are naíve. We all were once.

Elfen Lied is one my favourite shows of all time. It's artistically brilliant. Nudity does not count as fanservice simply because it's nudity. My description of a fanservice show is a series which overexploits the female body (or male in some cases) as a selling factor, to the point where it begins to overshadow the rest of the show. I listed a number of specific series which fall into this category.

Also, I would love to know what your all time favourite series is. I did explicitly ask in the start of the thread to help me out if I missed anything valuable.
The Wise Wizard
73238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 4/4/12

rveniss wrote:
When it comes to people who watch fanservice romps--people who actually watch Queen's Blade, Qwaser of Stigmata, ToLoveRu, Dance in the Vampire Bund, and the like--they really are scum. They're disgusting. This isn't me being an elitist asshole. This is a fact. At that point, you might as well just go watch porn or legitimate hentai. It's just as intellectually stimulating as that garbage, without hiding under the guise of being not-quite-porn.

One of these things is not like the others. Anyone going into Dance in the Vampire Bund and expecting any substantial amount of ecchi or fanservice is going to come out the other side disappointed.


As to your opinion (--they really are scum. They're disgusting) that you claim is fact, I disagree with it.

It would be a fact if you said they are disgusting to you, and you consider them scum.
28126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/4/12

TheAncientOne wrote:
One of these things is not like the others. Anyone going into Dance in the Vampire Bund and expecting any substantial amount of ecchi or fanservice is going to come out the other side disappointed.


As to your opinion (--they really are scum. They're disgusting) that you claim is fact, I disagree with it.

It would be a fact if you said they are disgusting to you, and you consider them scum.


First, I just put up another really long post, that you seem to have JUST missed, :D

DitVB isn't a "massive boobs" fanservice show like the others listed, but it is a pedophile-centric fanservice show. Which is almost as bad. And this is coming from someone who ENJOYED both Strike Witches and Astarotte no Omocha. I consider it substantially worse than either of those.

No, it's not technically a fact in the truest sense of the word. It is, however, a very accurate general consensus. Which is close enough when it comes to stuff like this.

Very recent example: (SankakuComplex, NSFW NSFW NSFW)

NSFW NSFW NSFW

People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.
72656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12

rveniss wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:
One of these things is not like the others. Anyone going into Dance in the Vampire Bund and expecting any substantial amount of ecchi or fanservice is going to come out the other side disappointed.


As to your opinion (--they really are scum. They're disgusting) that you claim is fact, I disagree with it.

It would be a fact if you said they are disgusting to you, and you consider them scum.


First, I just put up another really long post, that you seem to have JUST missed, :D

DitVB isn't a "massive boobs" fanservice show like the others listed, but it is a pedophile-centric fanservice show. Which is almost as bad. And this is coming from someone who ENJOYED both Strike Witches and Astarotte no Omocha. I consider it substantially worse than either of those.

No, it's not technically a fact in the truest sense of the word. It is, however, a very accurate general consensus. Which is close enough when it comes to stuff like this.

Very recent example: (SankakuComplex, NSFW NSFW NSFW)

NSFW NSFW NSFW

People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.


ALL opinion is quite subjective INCLUDING this one.

What I say and think is right, may not be right to you.

Difference in opinions are the beginnings of war, drives humanity to better itself be it by better than someone, or better as a whole.
^^Also subjective opinion. ^^

Also using sankaku complex as a reference is shit in ones argument, sankaku (referencing from somewhere) just put out a top 25 list of the best anime from 2000-2012.

code geass, wasn't even on that list, nor was anything else that was actually good, or a majorities favorite gintama
28126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12

AnimeKami wrote:
ALL opinion is quite subjective INCLUDING this one.

What I say and think is right, may not be right to you.

Difference in opinions are the beginnings of war, drives humanity to better itself be it by better than someone, or better as a whole.
^^Also subjective opinion. ^^

Also using sankaku complex as a reference is shit in ones argument, sankaku (referencing from somewhere) just put out a top 25 list of the best anime from 2000-2012.

code geass, wasn't even on that list, nor was anything else that was actually good, or a majorities favorite gintama


Opinion is indeed subjective. However, when referring to trivial matters such as whether or not enjoying fanservice animé makes someone a bad person, the general consensus can typically be accepted as near factuality. Obviously this does not apply when it comes to bigger, more important things, such as science and politics.

And SanCom is a terrible reference for anything regarding top-ranking lists. I saw that list too; it was shit. I was just linking an article about boobs.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get back to watching Earth Maiden Arjuna, because it's awesome. And that's an opinion.
57670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Georgia
Offline
Posted 4/4/12

AnimeKami wrote:


Muledragon wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:


Muledragon wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

There will always be that one guy that likes that one anime that everyone hates.

haruhi is a mediocre anime for people who think otherwise, good concept bad execution.


And there will always be that one guy who hates what everyone else loves, in this case you.

I like how your first statement seems to imply that everyone is entitled to their opinion, while your second statement claims that everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.


Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have his or her opinion, but it doesn't mean they are necessary right.

There is a difference between respecting someones opinion and the values of an opinion.


It's the same thing, man. You're still saying that your opinion is the "right" one.


what?

let me reiterate

I respect a person for having the option of having an opinion and wanting an opinion.

However I do not necessarily respect the value(s) pertaining to that opinion.

There is a difference, unless you don't see it?

Yes, I think my opinion is right, but I am not saying that having an opinion is wrong but the values of that opinion is wrong.


Okay, I think I see what you're saying, but I'm not really sure it completely applies to the present context. It's difficult to say that there's a "right" or "wrong" with regards to being a fan of something. For example: I'm in same position you are with respect to the LOST phenomenon. A lot of people thought that LOST was great, and I thought it was terrible. Does that mean that most people are wrong for thinking it was a great show, or that I'm wrong for thinking it wasn't? I wouldn't say so. Obviously they found something to like about it that I just didn't. This isn't a question of morality or absolute truth. Whether or not a show is good is purely a matter of opinion, there isn't really a right or wrong. As we've already established, there will always be people who like what everyone else hates, and people who hate what everyone else likes. In the end, I think we all fall into both those categories at some time.

Now that I think about it, this whole forum topic is a bit pretentious. The original author basically states his favorite shows (half of which I haven't even heard of), while openly acknowledging ignoring certain shows that have massive followings, just because he personally doesn't like them. This is just going to end up devolving into a pointless debate over which shows are good or not.
Posted 4/4/12 , edited 4/4/12

rveniss wrote:People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.


Rather than attack the people, wouldn't it be safer to say that the anime industry itself is giving itself a bad name because it's producing those titles?

Can't help what people watch. They're not the ones releasing the shows.

And the anime industry caters to more than just you. You keep judging people based on your own taste and value..
24237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guam
Offline
Posted 4/4/12

AZFox wrote:


rveniss wrote:People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.


Rather than attack the people, wouldn't it be safer to say that the anime industry itself is giving itself a bad name because it's producing those titles?

Can't help what people watch. They're not the ones releasing the shows.

And the anime industry caters to more than just you. You keep judging based on your own taste and value..


if he believes he can run the anime industry better then how it is being run now then by all mean I vote to give him a chance. Would be nice to see "change" in the fact anime comes out with "a lot" of ecchi shows. Not that I'm complaining about it, ecchi gives the anime a nice edge though it can be overdone and butchered by studios.
28126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/12

AZFox wrote:


rveniss wrote:People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.


Rather than attack the people, wouldn't it be safer to say that the anime industry itself is giving itself a bad name because it's producing those titles?

Can't help what people watch. They're not the ones releasing the shows.

And the anime industry caters to more than just you. You keep judging people based on your own taste and value..


The industry is producing those titles because it has to. Because that's what their bottom line wants to watch. Shows like that are guaranteed to turn a profit, if only because they offer more boobs.

I'm not mad at the studios for producing them, unless that's ALL they produce. A number of studios simply use those kinds of shows to fund more ambitious, artistic projects.


rayrae2008 wrote:
if he believes he can run the anime industry better then how it is being run now then by all mean I vote to give him a chance. Would be nice to see "change" in the fact anime comes out with "a lot" of ecchi shows. Not that I'm complaining about it, ecchi gives the anime a nice edge though it can be overdone and butchered by studios.


I don't believe that I could run the industry better. Even discounting that I have no formal business training, the existence of ecchi shows is necessary. It's just a painful necessity is all.
Posted 4/5/12

rveniss wrote:

The industry is producing those titles because it has to. Because that's what their bottom line wants to watch. Shows like that are guaranteed to turn a profit, if only because they offer more boobs.

I'm not mad at the studios for producing them, unless that's ALL they produce. A number of studios simply use those kinds of shows to fund more ambitious, artistic projects.


Has to or wants to? It's entirely possible the industry could limit their scope and cater to a select few, but the industry wants it's money. It does not care what comes out as long as it makes them money.

Now if you refer to individual studios, then I might be able to agree with you to an extent.

24237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Guam
Offline
Posted 4/5/12 , edited 4/5/12

rveniss wrote:


AZFox wrote:


rveniss wrote:People who watch that are giving a bad name to the entire animé industry, both here and in Japan. If that's not sufficient reason to consider them scum, I don't know what is.


Rather than attack the people, wouldn't it be safer to say that the anime industry itself is giving itself a bad name because it's producing those titles?

Can't help what people watch. They're not the ones releasing the shows.

And the anime industry caters to more than just you. You keep judging people based on your own taste and value..


The industry is producing those titles because it has to. Because that's what their bottom line wants to watch. Shows like that are guaranteed to turn a profit, if only because they offer more boobs.

I'm not mad at the studios for producing them, unless that's ALL they produce. A number of studios simply use those kinds of shows to fund more ambitious, artistic projects.


rayrae2008 wrote:
if he believes he can run the anime industry better then how it is being run now then by all mean I vote to give him a chance. Would be nice to see "change" in the fact anime comes out with "a lot" of ecchi shows. Not that I'm complaining about it, ecchi gives the anime a nice edge though it can be overdone and butchered by studios.


I don't believe that I could run the industry better. Even discounting that I have no formal business training, the existence of ecchi shows is necessary. It's just a painful necessity is all.


Just because a show offers "more boobs" doesn't mean it'll sell like crazy. I mean there are ecchi anime have failed to sell. Point example itsutenten(Itsuka tenma no kuro usagi) show was ecchi but it never sold like crazy. Show was full blown ecchi but a lot the viewers wanted to see more the faithful adaptation of the LNs to the series. I believe this proves that otaku and anime fans have more taste then just ecchi. SINCE you seem to bash ecchi for "ruining" the industry. There are many other things that draw in sellers besides the fact that it has ecchi. There's of course the plot, animation quality, character designs, music(might be a bit out there), and seiyuus. I'm sure there are some anime fans that watch anime because it has their favorite seiyuu. I mean do you SEE ECCHI anime on TOP of the charts of DVD/BD sales all the time?

28126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/5/12

AZFox wrote:
Now if you refer to individual studios, then I might be able to agree with you to an extent.


Alright, let's look at a couple studios. I'm only looking at the production aspect here, not publishing or distrubuting.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY FOLLOWING CRITIQUES OF SHOWS ARE ENTIRELY MY OWN OPINION

GENCO


-----

Media Factory


So, yes, a lot of times it does feel like the "Oh look, another animé about boobs!" and "Yay, another show about scantily clad 12-year-olds!" crap is overpowering a lot of the good stuff. But it's also being used to fund the good stuff, and to help the companies turn a profit. So I can put up with its existence because it allows for more shows to be made overall. It just so happens that over half of them aren't worth watching.
34841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / pLaNeT eArTh???
Offline
Posted 4/5/12

rveniss wrote:



When it comes to people who watch fanservice romps--people who actually watch Queen's Blade, Qwaser of Stigmata, ToLoveRu, Dance in the Vampire Bund, and the like--they really are scum. They're disgusting. This isn't me being an elitist asshole. This is a fact. At that point, you might as well just go watch porn or legitimate hentai. It's just as intellectually stimulating as that garbage, without hiding under the guise of being not-quite-porn.


Well maybe they're a semi-pervert and don't want to watch full out porn

rveniss wrote:

Lastly, shounen romps. Shows like Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Fairy Tail. You know what I'm talking about. They're obscenely popular. I believe that anyone who says that those types of shows are the "greatest things ever" haven't really experienced the rest of what animé has to offer. When I was a freshman in high-school, I thought that watching Naruto on YouTube was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I simply hadn't gone out and watched quality, deep, meaningful shows. I was naíve. They are too. Yes, these high-schoolers who flip out over Gintama are weeaboos, but we were all weeaboos in high school. So I don't judge them much. I just try to introduce them to real shows.


"Real" shows. You know I'm taking you seriously, seeing some of your points and reasons, but this just made me go: whaaaat? Uh...its called commercialism, capitalism, and branding. The shows are created with the intent to have mass market appeal and get as many fans as possible. Sailor Moon, DBZ, Fullmetal Alchemist, One Piece, etc are "brands"

And just because these shows are meant to be commercial success doesn't take away their quality. The reason these shows get fans isn't by accident, because they aren't ALL obscenely popular by the way. The ones that are popular actually just may have good plots, story, characterization, etc. I know shocking right?! Just because they don't have deep physchological complex's behind it doesn't make them less "real".

And who says that everyone who doesn't read/watch deep meaningful need are naive? You know when you open your mind to new things, you're not supposed to close the other door behind you -_-

And you can't assume they haven't seen what else is out there past shonen rumps. Everyone has different tastes. And if someone wants to be 30-40 and thinking shows like Naruto are the best thing than sliced bread, that doesn't make them weeabos or whatever. It's called being an individual with personal preference.


rveniss wrote:
The problem I have with them, though, is their habits when it comes to actually consuming animé. They all watch the same shows, and it's all online. None of them spend a dime on actually supporting the industry; they're killing the DVD market for real collectors. Example: FUNimation licensed Haibane Renmei back in 2010, saving it from when Geneon collapsed. It's one of the greatest emotional, artistic masterpieces ever produced--to the point where it puts even Clannad to shame. They have yet to actually release it on DVD and it's been two years, because they know it won't sell, because no one wants to buy quality shows from the past on DVD when they can watch new shows online. It bothers me immensely.


Hmm..you see this last paragraph kinda doesn't support what you're saying. I mean I get where you're coming from. But you just said the ones who watch moe/shonen/fan service aren't contributing to the anime community...And then you mentioned that shows like Haibane Renmei aren't selling because they know people won't buy. Well, those former listed shows are selling DVDs, including memorbilia and collector pieces. So it looks like someone is buying it.

And the reason why some of the old shonen/fan service animes still are released and sold..is because most haven't ended yet . And when they do end, they still make video games, sell plushies, the whole nine yards. Companies are willing to release those older series because they can almost make an accurate assumption on how well it will sell.


And interesting enough I agree with your first post. I really did enjoy the anime from your first post. I watched anime almost religiously during those years and don't watch it much anymore since 2008/09 (Still an avid manga reader tho)

I also personally feel that yes anime is not the same as it used to be. You know why? It's the same thing our parents said to us, and their parents to them, and on and on upwards up the family tree. Ten years from now we're going to be telling the next generation how our media was superior. Your points and arguments are nothing new. Although wow, shows like Madlax, Darker Than Black are phenomenal. So is Chobits, even being one of the many disappointing manga to anime adaptations. I agreed with the majority of your lists though. Those really were the anime days
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.