First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
Why do people actually hate anime?
5349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/12

lord0bacon wrote:


MarshallDTeach wrote:


lord0bacon wrote:

I'm fairly obsessed with anime. It's all I do, and it's all I really care about. .


Sorry to single you out, but this right here, is why a lot of people have problems with anime. It's not so much anime itself but when a person who isn't really familiar with anime gets into a conversation with an otaku, anime is the only thing they are interested in talking about.

There is nothing wrong with liking anime, but no single thing should be the ONLY thing you have going on in your life. If it is, you seriously need to branch out into some other things, because focusing on one thing is only going to hurt you in the long run


I'd beg to disagree. In terms of hobbies/likes/ect., how many of them does a person need? I do other stuff as well, but at the end of the day, do I care about it? Nope, not really. I have friends who aren't that big into anime, yet we still can have long conversations about different topics. I don't think I said in that post that it's all I talk about. I have other interests, but I don't love them like I do anime. I'm quite the sociable person, but when it comes down to it, I don't really care about much other stuff.

Note: I'm not getting defensive, but I believe there's a pretty firm difference in what were talking about.


Well as for hobbies, it really depends on what you would consider a hobby, I suppose. On one hand, anime, comics, collecting, are considered a past time, but enjoying sports and rock climbing are also considered hobbies.

Either way, it's always better to have more than one interest, because the more aware you are, the more interesting of a person you become. When you have the outlook that you don't care about much else other than anime, how can you expect people to find common ground with you? For example, if your only interest is anime, then logically speaking, you'd have no interest in say, politics, so there's no way you could carry an intelligent conversation with someone who is politically aware. If all you read is manga, you won't make for good conversation with someone who reads novels.

But it's not an accusation. I'm not saying you know anime and you're an idiot everywhere else. It's about an advanced knowledge of something, or a passion, to put it better.

And there is a difference between having a general awareness of something and having a passion for it. That's why I think everybody should at least try to find several passions in life, even if it involves you to force yourself to leave your comfort zone. If your brain is only stimulated by one passion, it will eventually begin to make real-life decisions based on that passion. And since anime is about the most unrealistic thing I can think of, in terms of human behavior, that can end up turning you into a real weirdo. And not a loveable one either.
4829 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
USA
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
Some people don't appreciate it because they think it's childish. Others think that it's Chinese and want nothing to do with it. Everyone has their idiotic reasons.
15 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / in your heart
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
To mit doesent matter if ppl dislike because i like yaoi and yuri i have a good group of friends that like anime and some that dont but those that hate are missing out on some good intertaining stuff ^.^
Posted 5/30/12
people can hate anime as much as i hate carrots. it's just a matter of preference.
34796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / United States
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
From the words of my mother, "Their eyes are creepy and too big!"
I guess it's the art style
Oddly enough, she never found any of the Sonic games or Shugo Chara off. Idk...i just dk...
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
Well, I'm not really a huge anime fan. There's only a few I've watched that I've ever liked.

Cowboy Bebop will forever be the best anime series for me.

I think most people hate anime is because it's too cutesy. Other reasons might be that the plots are kind of ridiculous and convoluted if you think about it. Also, maybe it's because of differences between Japanese and English, but the translations can feel pretty awkward. Bad dialogue ruins it for some people, because it can otherwise make a suspenseful scene turn into comic relief. Also, some anime plots seem a bit recycled or overused.

16616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Tampa, Florida
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
I ask myself the same question. But after being teased for 4 years in highschool I learned to just ignore them.

There really is no reason to "hate" anime. People just don't like it because they're unfamiliar with it. We need to spread anime all around the world!

Begin Project: ANIME DOMINATION!!!
16616 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Tampa, Florida
Offline
Posted 5/30/12

janwarie15th wrote:

people can hate anime as much as i hate carrots. it's just a matter of preference.





That's probably the best way to describe the situation I've ever heard. This will be my answer the next tie someone asks why I like anime.
Posted 5/30/12

Phsyco_1 wrote:


janwarie15th wrote:

people can hate anime as much as i hate carrots. it's just a matter of preference.





That's probably the best way to describe the situation I've ever heard. This will be my answer the next tie someone asks why I like anime.


i do really hate carrots. and people are always surprised i liked anime. i find the act of surprise as strange.

7 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
Disliking anime would be like disliking novels or games. It's a medium, and there's a huge variety in it. I think a lot of people either associate it with 4kids (or the like) dubbed shounen works or hentai.

To one of the above posters: disliking anime isn't like disliking carrots, but like disliking vegetables. Or, for a more common example, disliking meat ( + poultry + seafood). Some people do do so, but it isn't too trivial of a preference. There tends to be a good amount of reason behind it. Few people are just born with an instant aversion to eating any animals.

At the same time, being obsessed with anime would be as broad as being obsessed with "sports" or "books". If you're watching multiple sports, play some, talk to people about them, etc, it wouldn't seem unnatural. That would naturally take up a lot of time.

To another person above who gave "rock climbing" as another potential hobby, I think that's, again, too specific of a comparison. Between hiking, camping, learning about nature and such, somebody could easily spend almost all of their free time.

I'm repeating myself, so I'll stop now.
49 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / North New Jersey
Offline
Posted 5/30/12 , edited 5/30/12
Some people are haters just because they can't understand or comprehend anime.
139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
A lot of people don't like it because they haven't seen it
3489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Dreamscape
Offline
Posted 5/30/12 , edited 5/30/12

Dabordi wrote:

Disliking anime would be like disliking novels or games. It's a medium, and there's a huge variety in it. I think a lot of people either associate it with 4kids (or the like) dubbed shounen works or hentai.

To one of the above posters: disliking anime isn't like disliking carrots, but like disliking vegetables. Or, for a more common example, disliking meat ( + poultry + seafood). Some people do do so, but it isn't too trivial of a preference. There tends to be a good amount of reason behind it. Few people are just born with an instant aversion to eating any animals.

At the same time, being obsessed with anime would be as broad as being obsessed with "sports" or "books". If you're watching multiple sports, play some, talk to people about them, etc, it wouldn't seem unnatural. That would naturally take up a lot of time.

To another person above who gave "rock climbing" as another potential hobby, I think that's, again, too specific of a comparison. Between hiking, camping, learning about nature and such, somebody could easily spend almost all of their free time.

I'm repeating myself, so I'll stop now.


No, i believe that saying that disliking anime is like hating carrots, or apples, or tuna is a reasonable statement and gets the point across just fine. I understand what you're saying how you can't just pinpoint something like carrots and then compare that small category of a single item to a broad genre such as anime. However as long as something is being named as a thing someone can dislike then it can be compared to another thing that someone can dislike.


Winterfells wrote:

Well, I'm not really a huge anime fan. There's only a few I've watched that I've ever liked.

Cowboy Bebop will forever be the best anime series for me.

I think most people hate anime is because it's too cutesy. Other reasons might be that the plots are kind of ridiculous and convoluted if you think about it. Also, maybe it's because of differences between Japanese and English, but the translations can feel pretty awkward. Bad dialogue ruins it for some people, because it can otherwise make a suspenseful scene turn into comic relief. Also, some anime plots seem a bit recycled or overused.



Some of the dialog changes have to do with the fact that the anime is being set to broadcast on child oriented networks, like cartoon network. That excuse only works for a limited amount of series though. As for the overused themes and plots, the same can be said for any genre.
2076 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 5/30/12
Because it's weird.
Posted 6/1/12
because too gay for men
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.