First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A
Posted 4/30/12
Given the slow pace the original Saki manga is going at, the content of Side-A, and tournament setup, I'm starting to think that the next continuation of Saki (anime or manga) could very well be another "side story" like Achiga.

There are four initial brackets for the Inter-high Tournament... the 1st and 2nd place schools each of the group groups carry on a semi-finals of 8 schools. Achiga is in the 1st group, Shiraitodai (Teru's school) is in the 2nd, Kiyosumi is in the 3rd, the 4th group still isn't completed, but school with the most focus on it is Rinkai Girl's High School. The top 2 schools from each group compete against each other in one of the two semi-final brackets (Group 1 vs. Group 2, Group 3 vs. Group 4). Finally the top two schools from each bracket will play against each other in the finals. This means that both Achiga and Teru's school, Shiraitodai, can make it into the finals...by following Achiga, we get a sort of first-hand knowledge of at least 2 of the competitors Kiyosumi could face in the finals (Achiga and Shiraitodai seem like the most logical assumptions from the 1st bracket). Frankly, it also could make a potential loss by Kiyosumi in the finals a lot more sympathetic, since their rivals are also being shown as protagonists of their own stories and not just the antagonists of Saki's.

Okay, that's a lot of info about the tournament process ^^ Anyway. It seems with the slow pace of the Saki manga, plus the way the stories get interwoven, it might be logial and necessary to have another side-story to keep the interest of the anime audience before the anime adaptation of Saki can be wrapped up. Achiga is giving a view of at least one potential competitor for Kiyosumi in the finals, most likely two with the inclusion of Shiraitodai. I personally wouldn't be surprised if the next step would be to follow one of the schools Kiyosumi will face in the semi-finals, most likely a school that makes it to the semi-finals and potentially finals from Group 4, because it will allow viewers to get a first-hand look at almost every school in the semi-finals and definitely all of the finalists. I actually think it would be more strange to go into the finals with only one school being unknown, two already having their own stories with another school extensively shown as the rival of both. Who would care about the 4th school in that case? I have a suspicion that we could have our next anime "views" (and probably spin-off manga) show Kiyosumi as the competitors and rivals of a school like Rinkai... all leading up to a final group of Achiga-Shiraitodai-Kiyosumi-Rinkai at Nationals (finally going back to Saki and Kiyosumi's POV for the end). For that matter, I could also see Achiga and Kiyosumi both potentially going into the finals as only 2nd places finishers in their groups and/or semi-final brackets so the rivalry between each school and the ones they have already lost to can be played up in the finals. (I really can't see Achiga beating Shiraitodai in the semi-finals without it majorly undermining the plot of Saki and Saki's rivalry and relationship with Teru).

/finger pain
104083 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/30/12
CAPS LOCK; ON

OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFG

THE CG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caps lock; off

I don't hate it I don't like it, I'm just watching it ~ AnimeKami
2040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/1/12

windsagio wrote:

I haven't read the manga at all, but since you have, has it revealed how Teru plays? I know from the anime that she's overwhelming to the 'shut teams out in the first round' level, but whats her gimmick?




[ quote]Kicchu wrote:

From what I've gathered from the manga so far, only the sisters seem to have any known powers. I think the other three are just good players. But who knows? Maybe they have something that we haven't been shown yet since even the manga zips through the matches.
I think the same. Especialy Shizunos ability was never shown. She seems too weak for me. We just saw her power, when Nodoka was still there and know that Koromo beat her terribly. I think we always see her winning the last round with a moderate Ron. My guess is, that she actually have a transcentend ability, but hides it or cant use it, if not in a really big pinch. Hiding would be not so far fetched, since all the teams analyze the others. But even that counted, I still think that she cant beat Saki.

Lets think a minute about the teams fighting each other (ignoring the fact, that there are two other teams)

51983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 5/1/12 , edited 5/1/12
Something else that struck me, it's a bit of a plot hole maybe.

We know from the start of the first series, that Saki learned to play for +/-0 by playing her family, and apparently it worked. It's also emphasized over and over how exceptionally difficult that is (Nodoka can't do it playing by herself with all 4 hands visible).

So you're left with the realize that in the past Saki effectively dominated Teru even if she never won. Why is she so scared of her?



*I get weirdly obsessed with this show's world for some reason, it really grabs ya.
Kicchu 
49283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Online
Posted 5/1/12
@MMXKarl: Oh, you're right! She does end a lot of her rounds with a 'Ron', doesn't she? I didn't realize at first. O__O It could be that Shizu just hasn't realized herself, or the manga may be saving the details for a more important match with her. I certainly hope they expand on them more in the future. But I agree that I think she can't beat Saki... I feel that Saki will completely obliterate her in the end(since Shizu couldn't even beat Koromo at half power).


@windsagio:

I thought of that once before, too! Saki said herself that she kept wining and that her family would get mad at her, so that's why she started to play +/-O. That means she had to be winning all the time/most of the time against Teru, too! I also wondered if this is the reason why Teru is mad at Saki. Teru may think that Saki doesn't appreciate her skill and is upset that Saki quit playing against her seriously. But we haven't see all of the back story yet. Were missing all the vital information.
51983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 5/1/12
It's even more confusing because when Saki first plays Koromo (or maybe Fujita, I don't remember 100%) she acts all intimidated and says something like 'this is how it felt when I played my sister!'
2040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/2/12

windsagio wrote:

Something else that struck me, it's a bit of a plot hole maybe.

We know from the start of the first series, that Saki learned to play for +/-0 by playing her family, and apparently it worked. It's also emphasized over and over how exceptionally difficult that is (Nodoka can't do it playing by herself with all 4 hands visible).

So you're left with the realize that in the past Saki effectively dominated Teru even if she never won. Why is she so scared of her?

Good point. Never though of this, but there are a few things. Maybe Teru is the same as Saki and plays +/-0. Its familiy business and have nothing to do with winning. Even if Teru is a Mahjong Monster, she cant casually wibe the ground with her familymembers. Family games and meetings are usually for joy and not for winning. (and she can lie and showing a nice face, as you can see in the interviews with her)
Or maybe she just dont play there or dont attend family game nights and nobody mind, because nobody want to lose (she is a famous known mahjong player after all).

Since she taught Saki Rinshan Kaihou, she played maybe just with her. (and after the possible character shift at full power)




Kicchu wrote:

@MMXKarl: Oh, you're right! She does end a lot of her rounds with a 'Ron', doesn't she? I didn't realize at first. O__O It could be that Shizu just hasn't realized herself, or the manga may be saving the details for a more important match with her. I certainly hope they expand on them more in the future. But I agree that I think she can't beat Saki... I feel that Saki will completely obliterate her in the end(since Shizu couldn't even beat Koromo at half power).

After I rewatched episode 3 again, I have to think about the scene where Shizu shows literally her burning will. It is played for laughs, but maybe that is her battel spirit? In the matches we saw until now, she not only ends with a Ron, she is also shown serious and concentrated, much different to the usual Shizu. Maybe she plays logical when she serious and concentrate like that and goes in a transcendent mode when she is really fired up.

But I certainly hope on a enemy like Mihoko. Anyone who can cancel the flow to defeat those luckgamers with pure logic.
51983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 5/12/12
I'm apparently super fixated on this show;

So in thinking about the episode coming up tomorrow and the series in general, I also realized that almost nothing can be resolved in the team tournament anyways.

Saki won't play Teru (First vs last), and Nodoka's friends who want to meet her play against either Saki or Teru, neither against Nodoka.
Kicchu 
49283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Online
Posted 5/13/12
^Yeah, I've thought about that, too. xD Arata will be the one to play against Nodoka and even in the main Saki series, Saki won't be playing against Teru in the team battle(poor Yuuki has to take on the monster! ). It really does seem like nothing can be accomplished in the team tournament... No matter which series you're watching. xD


.....but on a side note... Yuu is so cuuute~! =^o^=
Dronak 
38997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/14/12

Des85 wrote:
I liked ep 1, looks like I`ll be able to forgive them for not making a sequel to the original series instead, since the original characthers(at least main) will appear in it.


I like the series so far, too, but I would have preferred a direct sequel. The way the original series ended, as I recall, they were just starting a new story line, then bam! -- series over. I was kind of disappointed in that ending, because it felt like they didn't finish what they started. And because of the way it ended, I expected a sequel. Then we got one, but it's this ten-years-later sequel. Not really what I wanted to see. I'm still watching it and enjoying it, but I'm also still kind of hoping that they're going to finish up the original series one of these days.
Kicchu 
49283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Online
Posted 5/14/12

Dronak wrote:


Des85 wrote:
I liked ep 1, looks like I`ll be able to forgive them for not making a sequel to the original series instead, since the original characthers(at least main) will appear in it.


I like the series so far, too, but I would have preferred a direct sequel. The way the original series ended, as I recall, they were just starting a new story line, then bam! -- series over. I was kind of disappointed in that ending, because it felt like they didn't finish what they started. And because of the way it ended, I expected a sequel. Then we got one, but it's this ten-years-later sequel. Not really what I wanted to see. I'm still watching it and enjoying it, but I'm also still kind of hoping that they're going to finish up the original series one of these days.


It's not really a ten-years-later sequel. The first bit of the series was a prequel that led into the current timeline in the original Saki series. The reason why they haven't finished the original Saki is because the anime pretty much caught up to the manga, which is being produced slowly. Currently there's not really enough material for even a 12 episode season. Though there is a possibility that Saki and Episode of Side A could merge(assuming Achiga makes it to the finals to play against Kiyosumi). Maybe that's why they animated Side A. So that when they have enough material for season two of Saki, we'll also have the back story of Achiga. :3 I really do believe they're going to make a season two, but currently they just can't do it without creating a lot of anime only scenes.

Dronak 
38997 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 5/14/12 , edited 5/14/12

Kicchu wrote:
It's not really a ten-years-later sequel. The first bit of the series was a prequel that led into the current timeline in the original Saki series. The reason why they haven't finished the original Saki is because the anime pretty much caught up to the manga, which is being produced slowly.


Oh, thanks for the info. I don't know the manga, so I've just been going by the anime. The first Saki went up to a certain point, stopped suddenly, then they picked up here with Side A 10 years on from the original. It seemed kind of weird to jump around in the timeline like that, especially given the sort of abrupt ending of the first season, but I guess they have good reason for it. It's definitely hard to animate something that hasn't been written yet. Still, I'd like to see them conclude the original series, because they really seemed to leave things hanging.
3324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 5/14/12
Ahhhh... This page has huge paragraph in every post, too lazy to read
51983 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / Oakland, CA
Offline
Posted 5/14/12

Dronak wrote:

Oh, thanks for the info. I don't know the manga, so I've just been going by the anime. The first Saki went up to a certain point, stopped suddenly, then they picked up here with Side A 10 years on from the original. It seemed kind of weird to jump around in the timeline like that, especially given the sort of abrupt ending of the first season, but I guess they have good reason for it. It's definitely hard to animate something that hasn't been written yet. Still, I'd like to see them conclude the original series, because they really seemed to leave things hanging.


It's not actually 10 years later though, the first half of the first episode happens 3 years before Saki.
2040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/15/12

windsagio wrote:

I'm apparently super fixated on this show;

So in thinking about the episode coming up tomorrow and the series in general, I also realized that almost nothing can be resolved in the team tournament anyways.

Saki won't play Teru (First vs last), and Nodoka's friends who want to meet her play against either Saki or Teru, neither against Nodoka.

Aye, I thought about that too. Well, since Mahjong is a teamgame (at least in this tournament), the fight indirectly and I might think that they truly fight against each other in the national individuals. Its like the case with Hisa and Mihoko. They didnt meet in the team tournament, because Mihoko was the Vanguard, but clashed in the individuals.

Also: whats happening after that? Saki is still first year. Do we see two more years were she slays through the tournaments or do we get a timeskip of two years and the pro league after that? I want to see the pros play. We just saw Fujita-pro so far and she seemed strong, but not one of the strongest pros. I want to know what monsters creep in the top lines of the pro league in japan.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.