First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Needs input on a novel idea I have
Posted 4/15/12 , edited 4/15/12
Ya know, all too often in any form of story-telling, the fathers are either evil, lovable and die early/supporting characters, meaningless background characters or the mentor, so I present to you a concept for a book series I plan to write;
A father has all these amazing powers and tries to save his kidnapped son from a person too evil describe, as a result of not being strong or fast enough despite honest efforts, he develops an inferiority complex to the point of borderline masochism and saying, "I was so strong yet unable to save my child, I AM a defective..."

Is this a new one by today's standards?
4536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Missouri
Offline
Posted 4/15/12
Well, the mentioned forms of story telling are there because its easier for plot production, and exposition of the story. They call them tropes. Its how we categorize events/phases and recognizable patterns in writing, animation and works of art.

It doesn't sound, new but it does sound refreshing. Though what happens? He gives up and continues down his downward spiral?

1653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18
Offline
Posted 4/15/12
Needs to be locked for personal help.

P.S. About everything has been done.
Posted 4/15/12
You need more boobs then it'll sell just fine.
36322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Where am I?
Offline
Posted 4/15/12
This should probably go into the creative forums. Anyhow, it isn't all that new, but it's a phase. Just like vampires are still kinda big.
Posted 4/15/12

ChaseTheCase wrote:

Well, the mentioned forms of story telling are there because its easier for plot production, and exposition of the story. They call them tropes. Its how we categorize events/phases and recognizable patterns in writing, animation and works of art.

It doesn't sound, new but it does sound refreshing. Though what happens? He gives up and continues down his downward spiral?






underlock wrote:

You need more boobs then it'll sell just fine.


The character does not stay miserable forever and does overcome grief/self-expectation.

@underlock, breast jokes are to me, boring and exceedingly predictable.
Posted 4/15/12
I'm guessing you have 0 marketing skills.
Posted 4/15/12
Nope, being 20, how can I?
Posted 4/15/12
I'm sorry, didn't realize you were a 20 year old baby.
Posted 4/15/12
Not funny.
Posted 4/15/12
How about we use a knife to make a cute smile on your face?

The Joker approves.
Posted 4/15/12
*yawn
Posted 4/15/12
Now I'm bored too.
Posted 4/24/12

SonicGenesisKing wrote:

Ya know, all too often in any form of story-telling, the fathers are either evil, lovable and die early/supporting characters, meaningless background characters or the mentor, so I present to you a concept for a book series I plan to write;
A father has all these amazing powers and tries to save his kidnapped son from a person too evil describe, as a result of not being strong or fast enough despite honest efforts, he develops an inferiority complex to the point of borderline masochism and saying, "I was so strong yet unable to save my child, I AM a defective..."

Is this a new one by today's standards?


So what I hear you saying is you have been influenced by stories such as father figures pretty much displaying what a man is towards his son and faced by his weakness, the father has some self-confidence issues. Having characters that have strengths and weaknesses build a more interesting story rather than characters who are completely invincible.

Do I get to read more of how the story is played out?
Posted 4/24/12

pinkrusse wrote:


SonicGenesisKing wrote:

Ya know, all too often in any form of story-telling, the fathers are either evil, lovable and die early/supporting characters, meaningless background characters or the mentor, so I present to you a concept for a book series I plan to write;
A father has all these amazing powers and tries to save his kidnapped son from a person too evil describe, as a result of not being strong or fast enough despite honest efforts, he develops an inferiority complex to the point of borderline masochism and saying, "I was so strong yet unable to save my child, I AM a defective..."

Is this a new one by today's standards?


So what I hear you saying is you have been influenced by stories such as father figures pretty much displaying what a man is towards his son and faced by his weakness, the father has some self-confidence issues. Having characters that have strengths and weaknesses build a more interesting story rather than characters who are completely invincible.

Do I get to read more of how the story is played out?


Yeah pretty much, when a very specific anime character triggers your paternal aspect (at the age of 14) and you had a seemingly permanent inferiority complex in school, I thought, "how can I tie them together, but with a few changes from my own history?" It won't be ALL serious doom & gloom, as there may be a fourth wall breaking and sardonic puns (if I can find a publisher).

I don't want to reveal too much (you never know when people are spying), but another theme (also based on my teen years) is being born into a scenario where the expectations are always high, so parental failure, what happens to thousands of people if you fail and feeling so pressured by both, he literally works himself to the point of fainting.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.