First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Why is it important that "Anime" is a product of Japan?
Posted 4/20/12
In Japan they call cartoons 'anime'. In any english speaking country is cartoon, in any spanish country is "fabula" and so on. Blah. people over think everything. Japan is awesome so anime is awesome because it comes from Japan. I would never call a movie from Disney anime. Please.

39271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 4/20/12 , edited 4/20/12
To me is just easier to just call animation from japan anime and animated show here in america cartoon, actually i barely say cartoon, i usually refer to it as a "show", Avatar:the last air bender, i love that show, anyway people will most likely refer to things that is easier on their mind, easier and quicker, this is just my 2 cent
65909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/21/12

SoulKanon wrote:


entropiCCycles wrote:


SoulKanon wrote:

Anime is a japanese word.
You should use the japanese word, anime, for japanese animations.
Why would you call a western cartoon anime when it isn't japanese?
The same thing goes for why you don't call anime cartoons but people who don't know what anime is say they are just cartoons.


Anime, as used in Japanese, is a shortening of the word "animation" and, consequently, refers to any and all types of animated materials.
This is confirmed by "cartoon" and "animation" being used as the English counterpart to "anime" in the Berlitz Japanese-English Compact Dictionary and the Random House Webster's Japanese-English Pocket Dictionary, respectively. Wikipedia corroborates this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Word_usage, but also points out that "anime" and "cartoon" are generally considered distinct in Western cultures (particularly in the use of "anime" in English).

I honestly don't plan on picking sides, but I will suggest that you take more care in continuing this discussion, because the above argument doesn't really work too well.


Hmm, so then the word anime is not originally from Japan? My bad for not being a vocab genius. You don't see people going around calling Family Guy and South Park anime even though they technically are, do you?


"Anime" as a word is from Japan, if you actually read what I had said (to reiterate: "Anime, as used in Japanese, is a shortening of the word 'animation'...").
And I never said that you had to be a "vocab genius". I just suggested that you should take care with your argument that 'anime' was the Japanese word for Japanese animation, because you were claiming that the word, as used in Japanese, had a more specific definition than it actually does.
42484 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/12

entropiCCycles wrote:


SoulKanon wrote:


entropiCCycles wrote:


SoulKanon wrote:

Anime is a japanese word.
You should use the japanese word, anime, for japanese animations.
Why would you call a western cartoon anime when it isn't japanese?
The same thing goes for why you don't call anime cartoons but people who don't know what anime is say they are just cartoons.


Anime, as used in Japanese, is a shortening of the word "animation" and, consequently, refers to any and all types of animated materials.
This is confirmed by "cartoon" and "animation" being used as the English counterpart to "anime" in the Berlitz Japanese-English Compact Dictionary and the Random House Webster's Japanese-English Pocket Dictionary, respectively. Wikipedia corroborates this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime#Word_usage, but also points out that "anime" and "cartoon" are generally considered distinct in Western cultures (particularly in the use of "anime" in English).

I honestly don't plan on picking sides, but I will suggest that you take more care in continuing this discussion, because the above argument doesn't really work too well.


Hmm, so then the word anime is not originally from Japan? My bad for not being a vocab genius. You don't see people going around calling Family Guy and South Park anime even though they technically are, do you?


"Anime" as a word is from Japan, if you actually read what I had said (to reiterate: "Anime, as used in Japanese, is a shortening of the word 'animation'...").
And I never said that you had to be a "vocab genius". I just suggested that you should take care with your argument that 'anime' was the Japanese word for Japanese animation, because you were claiming that the word, as used in Japanese, had a more specific definition than it actually does.


Okay, we've established what I said in the first place.
"Anime is a japanese word.
You should use the japanese word, anime, for japanese animations."
I never said the set definition was it was strictly Japanese animation, it just makes sense to use anime for them instead of on western cartoons.

65909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 4/21/12

SoulKanon wrote:

Okay, we've established what I said in the first place.
"Anime is a japanese word.
You should use the japanese word, anime, for japanese animations."
I never said the set definition was it was strictly Japanese animation, it just makes sense to use anime for them instead of on western cartoons.



Fair enough.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.