Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Hyouka
59629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

Des85 wrote:

I went with Commie on this one.
But by the comments on where I dl, it seems like Mazui is the best choice, if you're to dl :P


Yeah I already went with Mazui.
They did a nice job, I think.





Posted 4/23/12
There are mixed opinions on which group to go with.

I haven't watched all three releases but comments seem to believe Mazui as the better group for this show - gg just released theirs. From the line comparisons, it seems like Commie's subs are the more localized subs which make it a bit easier to understand but gg is providing episode blogs so it becomes easier to understand the show.

Commie doesn't have great translators most of the time but this time, I believe the translator is a decent one at least.



The animation and visuals are very very beautiful. I don't remember seeing too many still scenes so I really enjoyed this aspect. Houtarou is a pretty cool character so far and I like how he acts - living life in a manner where you don't expend too much energy. Sounds exactly like me when I'm in school.

Story wise, meh. I think I've stopped caring for such things when I see pretty art. The story was nothing spectacular but it kept me entertained for the whole episode so I won't complain [too much]. Japanese mystery fails to astonish me most of the time. I can't really judge the whole show on these two mysteries since it's the first episode.

This being a KyoAni adaption, I saw some similarities in the art. The background characters, their uniform at least, look like its from K-On and the school felt like the school in Haruhi.
8768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

chrome_mist wrote:


Yeah I already went with Mazui.
They did a nice job, I think.







As long as I understand the context, then that is all that matter to me.
And that there is not excessive use of TL Notes(GG)
64463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/23/12 , edited 4/23/12

deadpanditto wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I really really REALLY want to emphasizes on this concept; the majority of the posts about this series is:

1) OMFG the animation is AMAZING kyoto animation did it again!!!

and

2) What is it about...?


The first type of people are kinda ignorant.

the second type is looking past the animation.

Where do you feel like you fit in? 1? or 2?

I am trying to actively engage in a discussion where we do not look at the animation but how this anime can proceed before we are at episode 19 and we are still going wtf is this anime about.



To be honest, I think you are just overreacting because of the "OMFG the animation is AMAZING kyoto animation did it again!!!" people. Yeah, there are those people, but so what? No one here has said that animation quality is the sole arbiter of whether or not a series is good. I tend to ignore zealots of any stripe.

And you've created a false dichotomy. It doesn't have to be only those two choices that you've picked.

I thought the animation quality was good, but not amazing. I know this show is a mystery, but I don't know the details of the mystery yet. I'm happy right now to see how this sets up before I decide how amazing, or not amazing, this show really is. I won't speak for chrome_mist, but I got the impression that she (and others) are thinking the same thing.

I'm not sure why you are pushing so hard. I get it: you are decidedly "meh" on ep 1. That's fine. How about we have this conversation again after ep 3?


I truly believe my posts are being completely misunderstood in a very unfit manner, I am active on a discussion on how this anime can proceed past the first episode, and the (many) developments this anime can (potentially) have.

If I didn't state the claims I would have nothing to base my argument on, because you have a difference in the choices you will arise to a different conclusion, I simply proposed two options in which I read throughout forums which I felt the most fit (categories above). I have not implied those two were the only choices I clearly stated that is the majority given the evidence.

I am pushing the matter that yes, episode 1 has been established and that I am going "meh" however I am also trying to push the matter that how can this anime improve on episode 2, I am not brushing off the series in its entirety, but again I feel like my posts are being misinterpreted as an attack on how bad episode 1 which others think of me pressing the matter that if episode 1 is bad the entire series is bad.

That is clearly not the case in which I am trying to achieve.


chrome_mist wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I really really REALLY want to emphasizes on this concept; the majority of the posts about this series is:

1) OMFG the animation is AMAZING kyoto animation did it again!!!

and

2) What is it about...?


The first type of people are kinda ignorant.

the second type is looking past the animation.

Where do you feel like you fit in? 1? or 2?



What I don't get is...
Why are you getting so mad over this episode?

First of all, just because people liked the animation doesn't mean they're ignorant.
No one (at least not in here) even said anything about the first episode being amazing because of the animation.
Animation is a part of the anime, and whether you like it or not, it plays a big role. But it won't help the anime if the plot is garbage.
So what is the story? What am I watching? I don't know, yet. But sooner or later I'll find out.

I've seen Berserk, Cross Game, Monster, GTO and Gurren Lagann. All having poorer art and animation than most anime released recently. I never complained, they were all amazing.
But is liking the first episode of an anime I know nothing about being ignorant? No.




I am trying to actively engage in a discussion where we do not look at the animation but how this anime can proceed before we are at episode 19 and we are still going wtf is this anime about.


Oh. I didn't know you were a prophet.
So you've already decided that Hyouka won't be showing much plot development as we reach episode 19? Cute.

I'll get back into you after I watch the same number of episodes.
I'll tell you then whether I agree with you or not.




Lurk more?

Crunchyroll isn't the only active site in which has a forum that discuss anime(s).

If you do lurk or do not lurk I do not know; however the case from the experiences and evidences I have gathers on other sites I am simply choosing to propose two options, given that there are more options I just didn't state them.

Now, the forums I have read still fall under the categories of 1 and 2 is my bases of claim here stay with me.

The ignorance is coming from the fact that people like this anime because and solely because it has a good animation. NOW that is completely fine; however the pretenses stands that this anime has only air a single episode.

Thep point is that current story null (one episode) people are liking this anime because of animation and are defending the said anime without a bases as why it is good so far.

Because people are judging the whole anime just by animations qualities makes them ignorant if not oblivious to what they are watching (given on this site or other sites).

___________________________________

Again to reiterate, my posts are towards a discussion on how Hyoka can improve in terms of story, character development, within the boundaries of "mystery" genre.
65595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 4/23/12 , edited 4/23/12

AsuraCryin wrote:

There are mixed opinions on which group to go with.

I haven't watched all three releases but comments seem to believe Mazui as the better group for this show - gg just released theirs. From the line comparisons, it seems like Commie's subs are the more localized subs which make it a bit easier to understand but gg is providing episode blogs so it becomes easier to understand the show.

Commie doesn't have great translators most of the time but this time, I believe the translator is a decent one at least.



The animation and visuals are very very beautiful. I don't remember seeing too many still scenes so I really enjoyed this aspect. Houtarou is a pretty cool character so far and I like how he acts - living life in a manner where you don't expend too much energy. Sounds exactly like me when I'm in school.

Story wise, meh. I think I've stopped caring for such things when I see pretty art. The story was nothing spectacular but it kept me entertained for the whole episode so I won't complain [too much]. Japanese mystery fails to astonish me most of the time. I can't really judge the whole show on these two mysteries since it's the first episode.

This being a KyoAni adaption, I saw some similarities in the art. The background characters, their uniform at least, look like its from K-On and the school felt like the school in Haruhi.


hmm i am guessing your exceptions are higurashi and umineko.. oh wait that's me lawl.

In all honesty japan can do decent mysteries the problem is no one here cares about the why and that's always their main focus. Criminology 101 what makes or drives a person to commit murder?? It's not a simple as "he or she is nuts, you must dive down the rabbit hole into their state of mind" Then you can get a good murder/mystery show. As for regular mysteries well.. I will have to think more on the subject at hand.

64463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/23/12
Are we moving on to which fansub group is doing a better job now?

let's say: this series is good and archive worth yeah:

what difference does it mater which group you watch right now?

If you are downloading the anime (and if it is good after 21 eps) you're going to download the BD versions >.>

Given that if you want to watch group x for

speed

quality

etc...

just pick one you like, but i guarantee you that you'll download the BD if available
Posted 4/23/12
It matters because it'll help us understand the show better; I don't mind waiting for releases as I prefer translation accuracy. Of course the BD will be far better in visual quality but right now I'm more concerned about translation accuracy. I'm alright with visual quality as long as it is 360p and above - I honestly can't tell the difference between Commie's encodes and gg's encodes.


Cecilthedarkknight234 wrote:
hmm i am guessing your exceptions are higurashi and umineko.. oh wait that's me lawl.

In all honesty japan can do decent mysteries the problem is no one here cares about the why and that's always their main focus. Criminology 101 what makes or drives a person to commit murder?? It's not a simple as "he or she is nuts, you must dive down the rabbit hole into their state of mind" Then you can get a good murder/mystery show. As for regular mysteries well.. I will have to think more on the subject at hand.



Oh no, I had no expectations at all except that it should look great animation wise. I thought it was a fun show to watch. The lack of Holmes-level mysteries in Japanese mysteries is what I'm a bit disappointed in. Umineko accomplished some of that for me. I've yet to watch Higurashi though. I stalled it far too long. I've learned to never expect too much from [Japanese] mysteries shows though.
122533 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

AsuraCryin wrote:

I've yet to watch Higurashi though. I stalled it far too long.

Higurashi is one of my favorites. Should give it a try

59629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

Lurk more?

Crunchyroll isn't the only active site in which has a forum that discuss anime(s).

If you do lurk or do not lurk I do not know; however the case from the experiences and evidences I have gathers on other sites I am simply choosing to propose two options, given that there are more options I just didn't state them.


I am aware that Crunchyroll isn't the only place we can discuss anime.




The ignorance is coming from the fact that people like this anime because and solely because it has a good animation.


I have yet to see some proof about this.
For all I know you're just making this up to badmouth the anime and the people who liked it.




NOW that is completely fine; however the pretenses stands that this anime has only air a single episode.



But where is the lie? It's a known fact that the anime has only aired 1 episode.
Judging it based on that one episode is kinda unfair.




Thep point is that current story null (one episode) people are liking this anime because of animation and are defending the said anime without a bases as why it is good so far.


I would agree with you if they said the whole anime is good only because of the animation.
That is just wrong and stupid.
However, people who liked the first episode because of the animation are not to be judged.
So I liked the first episode. What of it? It was good and the animation was stunning.
Remember how I never commented on the actual story? Right. Because there isn't any as of this moment.
People will praise what they like. That is a fact.




Because people are judging the whole anime just by animations qualities makes them ignorant if not oblivious to what they are watching (given on this site or other sites).


Again with this.
Those people are not to be taken seriously.



Again to reiterate, my posts are towards a discussion on how Hyoka can improve in terms of story, character development, within the boundaries of "mystery" genre.


If only we knew what the story is about.



24352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Virtual Fantasy R...
Offline
Posted 4/23/12 , edited 4/23/12

PURPLE EYES, PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES..... PURPLE EYES
I love it PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES....
Houtarou is deeply enthralled by her PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE EYES.....
PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES AWESOME
I want to have PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES
Awesome premier PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES
53842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

AnimeKami wrote:

I am pushing the matter that yes, episode 1 has been established and that I am going "meh" however I am also trying to push the matter that how can this anime improve on episode 2, I am not brushing off the series in its entirety, but again I feel like my posts are being misinterpreted as an attack on how bad episode 1 which others think of me pressing the matter that if episode 1 is bad the entire series is bad.

That is clearly not the case in which I am trying to achieve.


If it was clear we wouldn't be having this discussion. But I'll grant that I may have misinterpreted your argument. My only issue is that you seem to be complaining about what you've read on other sites and applying it to those of us in this thread. That's just how it seems to me. It's also why I think your message is getting lost.

So, how can this show improve in episode 2?

Let's compare Another to Medaka Box as an example. In Medaka, there hasn't been much change in the first 3 episodes. There are 2 "problems" to be solved in each episode and some characters have been introduced. Nothing really interesting has happened. In Another, we were hit with some big questions right out of the gate. Is Misaki really dead? What's going on? Those questions made you want to watch episode 2.

Aside from animation quality, so far Hyouka's first episode was more like the first episode of Medaka Box. If I understand you correctly, you are pointing to that and suggesting this *could* be a problem. And it can be. If episode 2 follows the route of Medaka Box, it will be just as boring as Medaka Box--that's just my opinion.

I'll paraphrase my original question: what needs to be done in episode 2 to make Hyouka more intersting? Well, the elements of the core mystery need to be introduced soon. And they need to be compelling in some way. They need to make you ask "what's going on?" or "what's going to happen next?". It helps to put the characters in peril in some way. Basically, something has to happen to make us be emotionally invested in the show. That hasn't happened yet. Though I like the 3 main characters, I can't say they are memorable. Yet.

Will that happen? I don't know. I know based on the cast list and the show description that one more major character needs to be introduced. And I know that there are records of some form in the club that need to be found. We'll see how that develops.

Hopefully, I've captured some of what you were wanting to talk about this time. :)
53842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

TheAnimeGamer wrote:

PURPLE EYES, PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES..... PURPLE EYES
I love it PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES....
Houtarou is deeply enthralled by her PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE EYES.....
PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES AWESOME
I want to have PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES

Awesome premier PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES


If he does anything, Houtarou does it quickly. I think he's already in love.

Of course, his motto is bad news for her.
24352 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Virtual Fantasy R...
Offline
Posted 4/23/12 , edited 4/23/12

deadpanditto wrote:


TheAnimeGamer wrote:


PURPLE EYES, PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES..... PURPLE EYES
I love it PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES....
Houtarou is deeply enthralled by her PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE EYES.....
PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES AWESOME
I want to have PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES
Awesome premier PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES


If he does anything, Houtarou does it quickly. I think he's already in love.

Of course, his motto is bad news for her. ;)



I see what you did there.... LOLS
She wouldn't be too happy with that, is she???? HEHHEHEHE
STILL LOVING THOSE PURPLE EYES
64463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 4/23/12

deadpanditto wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I am pushing the matter that yes, episode 1 has been established and that I am going "meh" however I am also trying to push the matter that how can this anime improve on episode 2, I am not brushing off the series in its entirety, but again I feel like my posts are being misinterpreted as an attack on how bad episode 1 which others think of me pressing the matter that if episode 1 is bad the entire series is bad.

That is clearly not the case in which I am trying to achieve.


If it was clear we wouldn't be having this discussion. But I'll grant that I may have misinterpreted your argument. My only issue is that you seem to be complaining about what you've read on other sites and applying it to those of us in this thread. That's just how it seems to me. It's also why I think your message is getting lost.

So, how can this show improve in episode 2?

Let's compare Another to Medaka Box as an example. In Medaka, there hasn't been much change in the first 3 episodes. There are 2 "problems" to be solved in each episode and some characters have been introduced. Nothing really interesting has happened. In Another, we were hit with some big questions right out of the gate. Is Misaki really dead? What's going on? Those questions made you want to watch episode 2.

Aside from animation quality, so far Hyouka's first episode was more like the first episode of Medaka Box. If I understand you correctly, you are pointing to that and suggesting this *could* be a problem. And it can be. If episode 2 follows the route of Medaka Box, it will be just as boring as Medaka Box--that's just my opinion.

I'll paraphrase my original question: what needs to be done in episode 2 to make Hyouka more intersting? Well, the elements of the core mystery need to be introduced soon. And they need to be compelling in some way. They need to make you ask "what's going on?" or "what's going to happen next?". It helps to put the characters in peril in some way. Basically, something has to happen to make us be emotionally invested in the show. That hasn't happened yet. Though I like the 3 main characters, I can't say they are memorable. Yet.

Will that happen? I don't know. I know based on the cast list and the show description that one more major character needs to be introduced. And I know that there are records of some form in the club that need to be found. We'll see how that develops.

Hopefully, I've captured some of what you were wanting to talk about this time. :)


i suppose this will have to do


deadpanditto wrote:


TheAnimeGamer wrote:

PURPLE EYES, PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES..... PURPLE EYES
I love it PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES.... PURPLE EYES....
Houtarou is deeply enthralled by her PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE EYES.....
PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES AWESOME
I want to have PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES

Awesome premier PURPLE EYESPURPLE EYES


If he does anything, Houtarou does it quickly. I think he's already in love.

Of course, his motto is bad news for her. ;)


he is too lazy to procreate >.>
51287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 4/23/12 , edited 4/23/12
when i saw the first episode, i thought it was too slow amd i was getting bored
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.