First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Hyouka
55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/1/12

Are people actually calling this anime plot-less after only seeing 2 episodes?
I can't. You people just continue to discredit Hyouka while most of us enjoy it.

Episode 2.

I'm loving the MC so far. I love the fact that he's so lazy and laid back.
I like Chitanda too, she gives off this mysterious feeling.
The other two I don't really care tbh.

Story, again, there isn't much to say about the story.
It's only been 2 episodes and judging by the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2,
we'll probably get to see the story moving by the next episode.



Des85 wrote:

So far, Hyouka has been just about plotless :P

The only plot is them solving the mystery about why someone would rent a book the is unpopular and why the door was locked in the club room. In my opinion, that is crap plot.


You stay contradicting yourself.



83485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/1/12

chrome_mist wrote:


Are people actually calling this anime plot-less after only seeing 2 episodes?
I can't. You people just continue to discredit Hyouka while most of us enjoy it.

Episode 2.

I'm loving the MC so far. I love the fact that he's so lazy and laid back.
I like Chitanda too, she gives off this mysterious feeling.
The other two I don't really care tbh.

Story, again, there isn't much to say about the story.
It's only been 2 episodes and judging by the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2,
we'll probably get to see the story moving by the next episode.



Des85 wrote:

So far, Hyouka has been just about plotless :P

The only plot is them solving the mystery about why someone would rent a book the is unpopular and why the door was locked in the club room. In my opinion, that is crap plot.


You stay contradicting yourself.





I believe it's more figure of speech, but you're free to interpret it however you please.

________________________

From the poll and small sample size it appears the "audience" likes this anime so far because of characters. Which is fine, but the protagonist hasn't done much to capture the audience "directly" he has however "indirectly" using his personality to have an influence with the audience.

So here is the dilemma, currently with two episodes the actual story hasn't developed, the plot has surfaced, the protagonist's direct influence to the anime isn't impressive and only indirectly able to capture the audience.

Given these pretenses, does Hyouka really merit people saying it is one of the best if not the best anime of the season?

So of course some of think it is ridiculous (I included), which I would really like someone to shed some light on me and others why they think it is good (so far) such that some would say it is one of the best this season.

Note: it does have the potential to be one of the best, but so far it's not. Of course I'm not saying the anime is bad I am however implying it isn't good so far, it is what it is, is all I'm saying.
55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/2/12

AnimeKami wrote:

Note: it does have the potential to be one of the best, but so far it's not. Of course I'm not saying the anime is bad I am however implying it isn't good so far, it is what it is, is all I'm saying.



The best of the season? Of course not.

It's far from the best.
I like it but saying it's the best is just reaching.





9286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Over there
Offline
Posted 5/2/12 , edited 5/2/12

chrome_mist wrote:


Are people actually calling this anime plot-less after only seeing 2 episodes?
I can't. You people just continue to discredit Hyouka while most of us enjoy it.

Episode 2.

I'm loving the MC so far. I love the fact that he's so lazy and laid back.
I like Chitanda too, she gives off this mysterious feeling.
The other two I don't really care tbh.

Story, again, there isn't much to say about the story.
It's only been 2 episodes and judging by the cliffhanger at the end of episode 2,
we'll probably get to see the story moving by the next episode.



Des85 wrote:

So far, Hyouka has been just about plotless :P

The only plot is them solving the mystery about why someone would rent a book the is unpopular and why the door was locked in the club room. In my opinion, that is crap plot.


You stay contradicting yourself.





JUST ABOUT
Meaning I mean that there is a little bit of plot :P
Bad wording.
The plot in this is at least pretty bad. Ooooh magical eyes, wow And shitty mystery.

They might change my mind depending on what that confession is.
If it's just "I love you", than I'll still think it's boring.
55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/2/12

Des85 wrote:

JUST ABOUT
Meaning I mean that there is a little bit of plot :P
Bad wording.
The plot in this is at least pretty bad. Ooooh magical eyes, wow And shitty mystery.

They might change my mind depending on what that confession is.
If it's just "I love you", than I'll still think it's boring.



If you say so.




64845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 5/2/12 , edited 5/2/12
Most anime will be on it's fifth episode starting tomorrow. Hyouka doesn't get it's third episode for another four days. Its still too soon to be bashing it on plot when it hasn't been on long enough to fully develop one. Another didn't have a plot for the first two or three episodes either, just one accidental death. Ano Natsu de Matteru didn't have one either, just an accident that was passed off as a dream until that little mystery turned out to be important later. School Day's plot wasn't perfectly clear until about episode 8 (though most people could see where it was going).

There hasn't been many episodes this season where the plot was known in the first episode or two.
Acchi Kocchi - being plotless is it's plot.
Upotte!! - Not having read the manga the plot wasn't there until episode 4, until then it was an animated documentary.
AKB0048 - only on it's first episode, but the plot was crystal clear. The animation is as good if not better than Hyouka.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - The plot was revealed in the first few minutes of ep 1. The rest of the series seems to follow those first few minutes. I am still enjoying the show though.
Saki Episode Side of A - If you've seen the first series then you already know the plot, if you haven't then this may seem a bit rushed. Otherwise it's playing catchup with the Nationals where the first left off.
Mysterious Girlfriend X - The plot wasn't there until she explained the drool thing in detail, beyond; my spit is your crack.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - it's a comedy that's it's plot, anything that happens supports that.


In short two words PURPLE EYES
61641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 5/2/12 , edited 5/2/12
Emphasis added:

AnimeKami wrote:

From the poll and small sample size it appears the "audience" likes this anime so far because of characters. Which is fine, but the protagonist hasn't done much to capture the audience "directly" he has however "indirectly" using his personality to have an influence with the audience.



That's part of developing a character. I'd say the show is doing a good job at developing the characters so far, which is one of the main reasons I'm enjoying the show. Of course, I'm hoping for more from the following episodes.

I'm curious about why Hyouka is being singled out for whatever failings it supposedly has. You could equally complain about Medaka Box for failing to develop and it has aired 4 episodes already. Accel World was slow until episode 4. What about Upotte, or some other show this season?
64845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 5/2/12 , edited 5/2/12
I've been watching anime for only three or four years, and I am 36 years old, so it's still somewhat new to me. I love anime for what it is and my favorite genre's are slice of life and comedies that include romantic comedies, slice o life comedies, shows like Lucky Star and Nichijou that don't fit in either category. There are shows I was less than thrilled with two being Demon King Daimao and Dog Days. I completed DKD but only got to episode 2 of Dog Days. I don't typically drop anime once I pick a title up, but Dog Days was too out there to keep watching. I completed School Days purely out of morbid curiosity and am happy with the ending, but it could have happened sooner in my opinion.

I typically have an open mind when choosing which new anime I'm going to watch that season (summer 2012 looks very anemic to me), so I can sit down to watch them start to finish while not really considering that an anime is good or bad against any other show. If animation style was going to dictate what I will watch then I may have never picked up Mysterious Girlfriend. I'm not really into the occult so I may have never picked up either Occult Academy or Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, but these two seem to have features that I can get into and appreciate the occult elements more. Yuuko certainly is an interesting one in Dusk Maiden that's for sure. Hell, I love the four panel pictures of her at the beginning of each episode that has one panel of her doing something out of character for a ghost ie. embarrassingly peeping into the panel.



Could I watch an occult anime? Sure, but when Yuuko is such an interesting character who stands out from the others I find it much easier to appreciate this Anime more for it's depth of story and it's characters more than saying "oooh it's pretty ".

If you want very good animation with a plot that's clear as day then watch AKB0048 it's a good show, the plot is on the surface and includes mechs, lolis, Idols and more.
32913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/2/12
This is my favorite anime this season.
83485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/2/12 , edited 5/2/12
Two parts:






deadpanditto wrote:

Emphasis added:

AnimeKami wrote:

From the poll and small sample size it appears the "audience" likes this anime so far because of characters. Which is fine, but the protagonist hasn't done much to capture the audience "directly" he has however "indirectly" using his personality to have an influence with the audience.



That's part of developing a character. I'd say the show is doing a good job at developing the characters so far, which is one of the main reasons I'm enjoying the show. Of course, I'm hoping for more from the following episodes.



What I think will play out is: the motion of not wanting to do anything will eventually develop into an involuntary state of action in which the protagonist is going to be more proactive, so the source of change will be caused by the heroine to a point that if he doesn't do something now he'll have to do something greater later which goes against his being.

Which this will be more of a direct approach to see him develop as a character.



deadpanditto wrote:

I'm curious about why Hyouka is being singled out for whatever failings it supposedly has. You could equally complain about Medaka Box for failing to develop and it has aired 4 episodes already. Accel World was slow until episode 4. What about Upotte, or some other show this season?


Many people want this anime to succeed ( I included ), because Hyouka has much of the aspects that really propel an anime to a point that if you ask someone "what should I watch?" you'll want to mention Hyouka.

I say this: since Hyouka already has the animation has graphics, but it lacks that "punch" that just grabs you the audience in, from a personal experience I didn't get a sense of "omg I want to watch the next episode so badly."

For example Kuroko's Basketball minus the animation and graphics, and only focus on story/plot and character. You wanted to watch the second and third episode after the first because it had that "punch".

A small mention, I didn't expect much from Medaka Box I never have, Accel world I've read the manga I'm not stoic on story as much as the animation aspects of the anime since I already know in advance. Upotte, this is just eye candy you watch it because it is moe moe, yeah it is about guns, but honestly it is just nice to have something to watch a simple story nothing appealing about.

I can rant all the anime(s) I am watching right now but I'm giving Hyouka more credibility in actually talking about than not.



83485 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 5/2/12
I'm going to make this double post since it has nothing in conjunction with my post above.

When you've watched anime to the degree as I, you start seeing patterns and the consistencies with each individual anime, I am seeking more from Hyouka because it doesn't have those consistencies.


I'm not bashing anything I don't want, I'm just seeking for that really really good anime.
61641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / KC
Offline
Posted 5/2/12

AnimeKami wrote:
What I think will play out is: the motion of not wanting to do anything will eventually develop into an involuntary state of action in which the protagonist is going to be more proactive, so the source of change will be caused by the heroine to a point that if he doesn't do something now he'll have to do something greater later which goes against his being.

Which this will be more of a direct approach to see him develop as a character.


I was just splitting hair in your original comment, but I definitely agree with what you've said here. I think he's being forced to be less passive and more proactive. I also think that will make him a better character.


AnimeKami wrote:

deadpanditto wrote:

I'm curious about why Hyouka is being singled out for whatever failings it supposedly has. You could equally complain about Medaka Box for failing to develop and it has aired 4 episodes already. Accel World was slow until episode 4. What about Upotte, or some other show this season?


Many people want this anime to succeed, because Hyouka has much of the aspects that really propel an anime to a point that if you ask someone "what should I watch?" you'll want to mention Hyouka.

I say this: since Hyouka already has the animation has graphics, but it lacks that "punch" that just grabs you the audience in, from a personal experience I didn't get a sense of "omg I want to watch the next episode so badly."


Again, I agree. Aside from a few set pieces that were beautifully animated, there's nothing to recommend this show. At this point, I'm patiently waiting to see if that will change.


AnimeKami wrote:
For example Kuroko's Basketball minus the animation and graphics, and only focus on story/plot and character. You wanted to watch the second and third episode after the first because it had that "punch".

A small mention, I didn't expect much from Medaka Box I never have, Accel world I've read the manga I'm not stoic on story as much as the animation aspects of the anime since I already know in advance. Upotte, this is just eye candy you watch it because it is moe moe, yeah it is about guns, but honestly it is just nice to have something to watch a simple story nothing appealing about.


Ok, so I guess this is really about expectations: Hyouka isn't living up to them so far. I can see that. As for me, I didn't have any expectations for Hyouka other than it sounded interesting. And it is--sort of--but I'm hoping for more.


AnimeKami wrote:
I can rant all the anime(s) I am watching right now but I'm giving Hyouka more credibility in actually talking about than not.


True. And thanks for explaining.
145107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Online
Posted 5/3/12
Hmm...

64845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 5/3/12

stark700 wrote:

Hmm...



Oh, that's goooood!
55108 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Under your skin.
Offline
Posted 5/3/12 , edited 5/3/12

stark700 wrote:

Hmm...



No.





First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.