First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Funimation what are they doing?
77473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northampton,England
Offline
Posted 6/3/12
Hey guys and girls,

been searching around anime for years now and I'm sure Ive watched in the 4/5 hundreds of anime series by now if not more, but something has come to my attention and due to my perhaps lack of knowledge, i have no idea why it is.

we all know companies that license anime as for most of them its written at the start of the anime and the end ... so here is my question.

what does funimation get by buying anime, stopping their development and then making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net?(yes i do understand what licensing is I'm just saying after a while its ruining your own advertising to start closing off things like AMV's and simple 4/5 min clips)

here is my reasoning, i have seen in the years Ive been watching anime MANY anime come and go, some not finished which yes i maybe thought was a waste BUT when you look at the industry FUNIMATION in contrary to its name seems like a big black whole of lack of fun as it buys licenses stops the anime and, i don't know, maybe hopes it will get enough profit to make ends meat...

surely developing the anime to the end would make it more money so can anyone tell me what the point of all this is because i just don't understand why a single organization has taken it upon itself to destroy anime piece by piece (series by series) slowly becoming the bane of all fans everywhere when it just isn't necessary or really all that profitable surely???

opinions are appreciated but keep it civil and on subject, i would like facts though if possible!!!
20621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alpha Qudrant Sec...
Offline
Posted 6/3/12 , edited 6/3/12

dare2be wrote:






I don't get your post FUNimation can't stop an anime's production at all. Anime is made by Japanese companies and those companies has even more power than FUNimation and can choose to over ride Blu-Ray release, opening credits and even DVD extras.

As for AMVs YouTube has a video matching program that sometimes blocks videos when it finds copyrighted content. 4-5 minutes is way more than a simple clip and is plenty of time for the content matcher to flag it,
51593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 6/3/12
I feel like FUNimation relies more on home release sales.

As for stopping the production of a dub, to my knowledge, they have never done that. FUNimation just takes some time to make their dubs are good as possible.
6619 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Vancouver, Canada
Offline
Posted 6/3/12
Didn't they stop releasing Case Closed? I can't find any DVDs after season five anyway...

I guess it would be due to a lack of interest.
20621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alpha Qudrant Sec...
Offline
Posted 6/3/12

Marceus wrote:

Didn't they stop releasing Case Closed? I can't find any DVDs after season five anyway...

I guess it would be due to a lack of interest.


Yeah FUNimation said they stopped dubbing Case Closed because it was a poor seller the fans refused to buy the DVDs. But the same fans seem to want the dub to continue

52158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Spaaaaaaaace!
Offline
Posted 6/3/12
^ Agreed. Funimation has no power to stop a series from being finished. The only way they could have such power would be if it was a production funded by Funi. What Funi can do, however, is choose to stop releasing a licensed series on DVD etc.,, but I can only think of a few instances where that has happened with extremely long running shows like Detective Conan. I really don't think there are many series released by them where they didn't release all the available content. I also don't know about the Youtube videos. However, Funi does have a right, and possibly in some instances a contractual obligation, to request the removal of Funi licensed content.
4138 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / F / Michigan, United...
Offline
Posted 6/3/12

I personaly think they just end the series to make those "S.A.V.E" dvds.

They get loads and loads of money from them.

I mean then when the series is over you buy it thinking they'll add some kind of "DVD Exclusive Episode".

Then I think they don't want it to be posted online so you have no choice to buy it.
27496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Tallahassee,Flori...
Offline
Posted 6/3/12
After scrapping together what info I can from the OP,I'll begin my post with this:Wha?
You said they stop developing anime.Although,that made no clear sense,I believe I understand what you mean.They only license a portion of the available content & not get anymore.
Well,that is to save money.Something some fans think the American Anime industry have a "Hollywood amount" of.
Here's how it goes:Funimation only license a chunk (for long running anime) or one season (for multiply seasons anime),do their usual thing with it,sale it & wait to see how well sales go.As Visoredavenger said,if it's a poor seller,then Funi drops the anime.That way they won't waste money on a bad investment (they be losing more than they're gaining).This is why people say:BUY THE OFFICIAL RELEASES.
Obviously,if it sales well enough,they get more.
And the youtube thing is due to copyright,there's plenty of way to avoid it.
Posted 6/3/12
Seems like they are falling from the height they knew time ago.
18663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Small Wooded town...
Offline
Posted 6/3/12

Flamzeron wrote:

I feel like FUNimation relies more on home release sales.

As for stopping the production of a dub, to my knowledge, they have never done that. FUNimation just takes some time to make their dubs are good as possible.


They do.. I have started a few series they stop half way through because they did not get the sales they wanted.. yet they also never avertized the shows.. and still they exspect the shows to get sales? On top of that they make it so no one else can pick up the shows where they left off.. Because they Keep there rights to it even after stoping sales and production of it. (that is what pisses me off the most..)

If there going to give up on the show.. atleast allow the followers of that show to ber able to watch it some other way without throwing a fit for copyright violations...
The Wise Wizard
99929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 6/3/12

dare2be wrote:
what does funimation get by buying anime, stopping their development and then making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net?(yes i do understand what licensing is I'm just saying after a while its ruining your own advertising to start closing off things like AMV's and simple 4/5 min clips)

here is my reasoning, i have seen in the years Ive been watching anime MANY anime come and go, some not finished which yes i maybe thought was a waste BUT when you look at the industry FUNIMATION in contrary to its name seems like a big black whole of lack of fun as it buys licenses stops the anime and, i don't know, maybe hopes it will get enough profit to make ends meat...

Can you give some examples of what shows you are talking about? The only examples I can think of of Funimation not completing are some long running shows such as Case Close (Detective Conan). The shortest series I know of that they never completed was D.Gray-man, for which they only licensed the first 51 of 103 episodes for.

Regarding, "...making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net", the first two fansub sites I checked both showed Detective Conan and D.Gray-man episodes, including even those licensed by Funimation.

AFAIK, they've never done something like Viz where a series was licensed in full, DVDs were published, but then halted before the series was finished, despite the fact the dub had already been completed (i.e., Monster).

52158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Spaaaaaaaace!
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
Ah, yes, Monster - I'm still unhappy about Viz not finishing the DVD releases for that show. I know the dub eps. are easily available on Hulu or the iTunes store, but I bought the first DVD set expecting to eventually have the whole thing, and they just......stopped.

As for Funimation, I didn't realize D.Gray-Man was an unfinished release. That made me think of Kodocha, though. Was that show ever fully released? I was thinking I'd heard once that it wasn't. I know sometimes they'll release the first season of a show and then wait ages to release the second, like with Spice and Wolf and Darker than Black.

@ the OP, I'm also curious to know what specific series you're asking about?
77473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northampton,England
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12

Wolf-D-Jeddy wrote:

After scrapping together what info I can from the OP,I'll begin my post with this:Wha?
You said they stop developing anime.Although,that made no clear sense,I believe I understand what you mean.They only license a portion of the available content & not get anymore.
Well,that is to save money.Something some fans think the American Anime industry have a "Hollywood amount" of.
Here's how it goes:Funimation only license a chunk (for long running anime) or one season (for multiply seasons anime),do their usual thing with it,sale it & wait to see how well sales go.As Visoredavenger said,if it's a poor seller,then Funi drops the anime.That way they won't waste money on a bad investment (they be losing more than they're gaining).This is why people say:BUY THE OFFICIAL RELEASES.
Obviously,if it sales well enough,they get more.
And the youtube thing is due to copyright,there's plenty of way to avoid it.


This is what i was asking mostly however it is also that they dont just buy the ENG Dub version but also the sub version.

As someone mentioned with the recent conan case-closed too they buy both versions and then dont buy all of it meaning to watch the entire japanese version you can either learn japanese or buy a DVD player that plays japanese DVD's and buy every DVD with import on top from japan (this is very expensive and im a normal guy so i dont have thousands to spend on anime).

you could also i guess go to japan and buy them there but that is even more expensive whereas normally it would cost much less.

This makes fans suffer for the sake of the company which is not a very good business plan in the media market.

To be honest if they would buy the whole series then have both subs and dubs it wouldnt be a problem but its almost like they are intentionally taking large series then cutting them in half, i dont know their business model so i cant be sure but i would think they would gain more if they brought out the entire series W/Subs&Dubs, i know for a fact after reading their forums every times someone brings up the subbing subject they just tell them to buy it from japan which surely cannot be good for sales.

Also as far as i can see they only buy Sub's market to increase their sales marginally and stop people watching subs instead of their dubs, while i can understand the business ideal here if they just bought the dubbing rights then they wouldnt have so many costly issues with cases like Case Closed etc.

I can understand if they are short on money but surely after a time fans will lose interest in Funimation themself because of their careless way of just getting abit then leaveing the anime fans to suffer.

oh and the guy who wanted examples sorry it was just a trend i was noticeing over the years and wonderd for the explination. So any specific anime i cant really tell you, Case Closed would probably be the newest one i found though.
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


dare2be wrote:
what does funimation get by buying anime, stopping their development and then making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net?(yes i do understand what licensing is I'm just saying after a while its ruining your own advertising to start closing off things like AMV's and simple 4/5 min clips)

here is my reasoning, i have seen in the years Ive been watching anime MANY anime come and go, some not finished which yes i maybe thought was a waste BUT when you look at the industry FUNIMATION in contrary to its name seems like a big black whole of lack of fun as it buys licenses stops the anime and, i don't know, maybe hopes it will get enough profit to make ends meat...


Regarding, "...making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net", the first two fansub sites I checked both showed Detective Conan and D.Gray-man episodes, including even those licensed by Funimation.


This may or may not have been what dare2be was talking about, but here is a good example of Funimation trying to do so - http://forums.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=8465

What's the point of stopping a fansub that's over 500 episodes ahead of the episodes that Funimation dubbed, especially when they have no plans to release any more?
77473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northampton,England
Offline
Posted 6/4/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


dare2be wrote:
what does funimation get by buying anime, stopping their development and then making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net?(yes i do understand what licensing is I'm just saying after a while its ruining your own advertising to start closing off things like AMV's and simple 4/5 min clips)

here is my reasoning, i have seen in the years Ive been watching anime MANY anime come and go, some not finished which yes i maybe thought was a waste BUT when you look at the industry FUNIMATION in contrary to its name seems like a big black whole of lack of fun as it buys licenses stops the anime and, i don't know, maybe hopes it will get enough profit to make ends meat...

Can you give some examples of what shows you are talking about? The only examples I can think of of Funimation not completing are some long running shows such as Case Close (Detective Conan). The shortest series I know of that they never completed was D.Gray-man, for which they only licensed the first 51 of 103 episodes for.

Regarding, "...making sure there is not even a slight video of part of an episode anywhere on the net", the first two fansub sites I checked both showed Detective Conan and D.Gray-man episodes, including even those licensed by Funimation.

AFAIK, they've never done something like Viz where a series was licensed in full, DVDs were published, but then halted before the series was finished, despite the fact the dub had already been completed (i.e., Monster).



The slight videos im talking more about small AMV's etc which is under their license but actually serve as better advertiseing if left there.

And i get your point about vis but i get the feeling viz have somewhat either made ammends or let others take the next slice of the cake if they cont/dont want to with very rare exceptions, however funimation tend to hold onto things for eternity, this makes them an obstical for a fan where viz wont be. (for the most part we all know these things have minor exceptions XD)

as for the specific animes, it was just a noticed trend over the years, that whenever my trail of subs/Dubs stops i look up who is responsible (yes i like to hold a grudge) and i noticed 6/10 or 7/10 i see Funimation, so i was wondering the reason.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.