First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Funimation what are they doing?
78473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northampton,England
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12


Someone understands me although this is a very brutally major case.

Even for Funimation this one does seem a bit too far, if they want the dub fine, people dont mind that but the subs are something people on the net enjoy more than people at home and to literally stop continuation of subs this many episodes away is just hurting the anime fan community.

Although i wont say illegally streaming anime is a good thing... i will say you should use existing subs if they exist and are offerd, and you should also continue the subs at they level they are at and then when the series ends redo the subs if nessesary.

You should also offer said subs up online as done before as even if it costs something to watch them most fans wont mind as long as the service provided by the company is just as good as the service provided by the fans (which to be honest if it isnt then the company really needs to think about what it is doing on a whole).

This way people can go about things as they normally did before with just a small change of price(and ownership)... this would be how you do things without hurting the community and in the end would probably increase sales as a direct result.
55058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
Well FUNimation is a company and that company is losing money if people go watch the fansubs vs buying their dvds and watching their dub or watching it sub that way. So Its understandable about them stopping fansubs or people uploading their licensed anime illegally on the net. They Even compromise by putting their anime on legal streaming sites for example Hulu.

As for AMVs that's all youtube.(Believe me I know I have had a few of AMV's taken down) FUNimation has nothing to do with that Plus FUNimation has a youtube channel where you can watch a lot of their licensed anime sub for free. So its not like they don't have any of their anime on the net at all they just want u to stop watching fansubs and come support legal anime streaming.

This is just how I feel about the matter which is why I don't watch fansubs and support legal anime streaming sites.
3324 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 6/4/12

visoredavenger wrote:


Marceus wrote:

Didn't they stop releasing Case Closed? I can't find any DVDs after season five anyway...

I guess it would be due to a lack of interest.


Yeah FUNimation said they stopped dubbing Case Closed because it was a poor seller the fans refused to buy the DVDs. But the same fans seem to want the dub to continue



I believe they will start airing more episodes in some days now, because one of my favorite conan watching site got shutdown... It has all the episodes, movies, and OVA. I WAS SAD!!!!
32692 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WORLD OF KLAC
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
well hard to tell IF funi can also expand website or anime dvds or anime etc to worldwide.

besides there some area want funi anime hello region 3 area need funi anime.
20621 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Alpha Qudrant Sec...
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12

dare2be wrote:



Someone understands me although this is a very brutally major case.

Even for Funimation this one does seem a bit too far, if they want the dub fine, people dont mind that but the subs are something people on the net enjoy more than people at home and to literally stop continuation of subs this many episodes away is just hurting the anime fan community.

Although i wont say illegally streaming anime is a good thing... i will say you should use existing subs if they exist and are offerd, and you should also continue the subs at they level they are at and then when the series ends redo the subs if nessesary.

You should also offer said subs up online as done before as even if it costs something to watch them most fans wont mind as long as the service provided by the company is just as good as the service provided by the fans (which to be honest if it isnt then the company really needs to think about what it is doing on a whole).

This way people can go about things as they normally did before with just a small change of price(and ownership)... this would be how you do things without hurting the community and in the end would probably increase sales as a direct result.



When they license the rights for the show they are legally bound to police the internet for illegally distributed uploads of the show which includes the subs. It's the kind of thing the Japanese owners(TMS Entertainment) asks of them when they(FUNimation asks of rights) and even if FUNimation isn't planning on releasing more seasons they still hold the rights to the show as long as those Seasons 1-5 on DVD are still in print. I should also add that FUNimation is still planning on getting the movies and such



88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/12

visoredavenger wrote:




When they license the rights for the show they are legally bound to police the internet for illegally distributed uploads of the show which includes the subs. It's the kind of thing the Japanese owners(TMS Entertainment) asks of them when they(FUNimation asks of rights) and even if FUNimation isn't planning on releasing more seasons they still hold the rights to the show as long as those Seasons 1-5 on DVD are still in print. I should also add that FUNimation is still planning on getting the movies and such


I'm not aware of exactly what was written in the contract, but it's highly unlikely that Funimation has the license to the whole series. Judging from their license announcements (of One Piece) they license each season individually, so they probably wouldn't even have the rights to anything past season 5, let alone the episodes in the 600's.

You are right in saying that they are acting on the behalf of TMS Entertainment (or another member of the production committee), otherwise they would not have the right to do. However that doesn't change the fact that it's still a lose-lose situation, as TMS Entertainment does not gain anything from this either unless a future English release of some form planned.
78473 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Northampton,England
Offline
Posted 6/4/12

llamaben wrote:


visoredavenger wrote:




When they license the rights for the show they are legally bound to police the internet for illegally distributed uploads of the show which includes the subs. It's the kind of thing the Japanese owners(TMS Entertainment) asks of them when they(FUNimation asks of rights) and even if FUNimation isn't planning on releasing more seasons they still hold the rights to the show as long as those Seasons 1-5 on DVD are still in print. I should also add that FUNimation is still planning on getting the movies and such


I'm not aware of exactly what was written in the contract, but it's highly unlikely that Funimation has the license to the whole series. Judging from their license announcements (of One Piece) they license each season individually, so they probably wouldn't even have the rights to anything past season 5, let alone the episodes in the 600's.

You are right in saying that they are acting on the behalf of TMS Entertainment (or another member of the production committee), otherwise they would not have the right to do. However that doesn't change the fact that it's still a lose-lose situation, as TMS Entertainment does not gain anything from this either unless a future English release of some form planned.


wouldnt they have to have over the 600's licensed to be able to tell DCTV to stop subbing above that number?
88479 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12

dare2be wrote:



wouldnt they have to have over the 600's licensed to be able to tell DCTV to stop subbing above that number?


Not with the permission of the production committee. In the past they have sent out DMCA's for anime they've never licensed, such as Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
35530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / New York City
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
Hmmm... Didn't FUNimation stop dubbing One Piece? Or was that VIZ? I just know I'm sad that One Piece has not continued.
52158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Spaaaaaaaace!
Offline
Posted 6/4/12 , edited 6/4/12
I think 4Kids was dubbing One Piece, and when they dropped it Funi picked it up, then did their own dub for a while, and then went the sub-only online streaming route due to the dub DVDs not being that profitable, but don't quote me on that.
50301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Elephant
Offline
Posted 6/4/12

Blue-Elf wrote:

I think 4Kids was dubbing One Piece, and when they dropped it Funi picked it up, then did their own dub for a while, and then went the sub-only online streaming route due to the dub DVDs not being that profitable, but don't quote me on that.


Funimation are still releasing One Piece. The new set (season 4 first voyage) will be available on August 7th.

As for Detective Conan, I don't know what the specifics of the contract are, but if it is like One Piece then Funimation doesn't have the rights to any episode after what they have released. I'm not sure if TMS ordered Funimation to file a DMCA report against the only fansub group that translates the series or not. If Funimation acted on their own then I think they don't have the rights to remove any episode after what they have.
52158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / Spaaaaaaaace!
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
^Good to know that they're still releasing One Piece DVDs. After doing a search on Amazon (which I should've done in the first place), I see the DVDs are also still dual-audio...unless that info is wrong.. I was so sure that they were doing sub-only now, so, obviously, I need to brush up more on my One Piece knowledge.
5349 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 6/4/12
Well FUNimation is probably the largest anime distributor of anime in the US at this point. They want to keep it that way, so they snatch up as many licenses as they can.

As for stopping anime, I am going to assume you mean stop releasing DVDS or stop dubbing them or something like that. They do that for the same reason any other company does, because the sales or ratings aren't reaching expectations.

Posted 6/6/12
idk about stopping series but I have to say most of their dubs suck and i hate them.

and so as other dubs like what people in my country do.
Stick to subs damn it.

and the reason my friends give me when I ask them why they prefer dub is "I cant read and watch at the same time, I cant see the whole screen"

wth!?
30421 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Baton Rouge
Offline
Posted 6/6/12
I found myself wondering that exact same thing after finishing up Season 1 of "Kodocha". This was a GREAT show, and I thought "Funimation" would've jumped right on grabbing the license for the remainder of the series.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.