First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
yaoi and yuri lovers are most likely a gay,lesbian,bisexual or straight?
17221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Stern Bild City
Offline
Posted 6/9/12
Wow.
62225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / F
Offline
Posted 6/9/12
Actually, a lot of gay men do not like yaoi/BL titles because it tends to depict idealized instead of realistic relationships and issues between men. They have a hard time identifying with the characters and their situations at all because yaoi/BL is written primarily by straight women for a female audience.

While yuri began as a part of shojo and grew out of the Showa 24 movement in the 70s, today, yuri titles are primarily written by men for a mostly male audience, as most yuri titles appear in seinen anthologies. Many women in the lesbian community heavily critiqued yuri for being unrealistic and written clearly to appeal to horny fanboys.

The manga written for gay men is known as Bara or gei comi, and it is extremely different from yaoi because it tends to be written by gay men to appeal to a gay male audience. The men tend to be a lot less pretty, a lot more manly, and social issues facing gay men in Japan are often the topics of the stories.

Some yuri is still produced by women for a female audience and it does appear in shojo or josei anthologies, though it is an extreme minority. Takao Shimura's "Aoi Hana" is the most prominent modern example of yuri written for a female audience.

It would have been nice if the OP had done the slightest bit of research before posting this incredibly idiotic topic with assumptions that are probably not intended to be homophobic, but they are coming off as such. All of this information could have been had in 5 minutes with a simple Google seach on the terms "yaoi" and "yuri."
8034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/9/12
Yaoi: Straight women, gay men
Yuri: Straight men, lesbians

Or, you know, people can enjoy either genre regardless of their sexuality?
I'm straight and I love yuri. It's cute.
29051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / London, UK
Offline
Posted 6/9/12

DiamondsForever wrote:Yaoi: Straight women, gay men
Yuri: Straight men, lesbians

Or, you know, people can enjoy either genre regardless of their sexuality?


I'm mostly gay but date both guys and girls. And watch anime regardless of wether it's yaoi, yuri or straight or whatever. Hell some anime people are like beast peeps or aliens or demons or whatever.

If you're having to make assumptions you're being narrow minded.

And if you're having to overtly state wether you like gay storylines or not you clearly arn't that comfortable with your sexuality in the first place.

Basically. No one cares.

Let's get back to watching anime. Yay.
8034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 6/9/12 , edited 6/9/12

Brindletron wrote:


DiamondsForever wrote:Yaoi: Straight women, gay men
Yuri: Straight men, lesbians

Or, you know, people can enjoy either genre regardless of their sexuality?


I'm mostly gay but date both guys and girls. And watch anime regardless of wether it's yaoi, yuri or straight or whatever. Hell some anime people are like beast peeps or aliens or demons or whatever.

If you're having to make assumptions you're being narrow minded.

And if you're having to overtly state wether you like gay storylines or not you clearly arn't that comfortable with your sexuality in the first place.

Basically. No one cares.

Let's get back to watching anime. Yay.


Guess you missed the part where I said "Or, you know, people can enjoy either genre regardless of their sexuality?".
You know, I don't really see your point. The fact that I said that I enjoy yuri despite being straight means that I'm not comfortable with my sexuality? Great piece of logic there. Just explain to me how that works.
You just stated your own sexuality and mentioned that you enjoy all genres. Isn't that essentially what I did?

Besides, I'm pretty sure yaoi and yuri are mostly marketed to those I mentioned, just like shoujo is marketed towards females and shounen towards males. The (obvious) fact that others can watch it too is irrelevant to the topic.

I'm trying to be as civil as possible here, but shit. I can hardly take you seriously.

3642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Asia, Earth. :]
Offline
Posted 6/9/12
I really want to read something different and the unusual. But seriously, I still don't get why there are many straight Girls who are so addicted to Yaio.
17935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 6/9/12

XIIIDARKNESS wrote:

Actually, from my experience, there both usually straight, let me fix it

Yuri - Guys.

Yaoi - Girls.



Yeah, I'm gunna have to go with this too.
17935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 6/9/12

sortoffaerygirl wrote:

Actually, a lot of gay men do not like yaoi/BL titles because it tends to depict idealized instead of realistic relationships and issues between men. They have a hard time identifying with the characters and their situations at all because yaoi/BL is written primarily by straight women for a female audience.

While yuri began as a part of shojo and grew out of the Showa 24 movement in the 70s, today, yuri titles are primarily written by men for a mostly male audience, as most yuri titles appear in seinen anthologies. Many women in the lesbian community heavily critiqued yuri for being unrealistic and written clearly to appeal to horny fanboys.

The manga written for gay men is known as Bara or gei comi, and it is extremely different from yaoi because it tends to be written by gay men to appeal to a gay male audience. The men tend to be a lot less pretty, a lot more manly, and social issues facing gay men in Japan are often the topics of the stories.

Some yuri is still produced by women for a female audience and it does appear in shojo or josei anthologies, though it is an extreme minority. Takao Shimura's "Aoi Hana" is the most prominent modern example of yuri written for a female audience.

It would have been nice if the OP had done the slightest bit of research before posting this incredibly idiotic topic with assumptions that are probably not intended to be homophobic, but they are coming off as such. All of this information could have been had in 5 minutes with a simple Google seach on the terms "yaoi" and "yuri."


Re: Bold Print - Haha I think you nailed right on the head.

All in all though, your entire post was very informative, and I has feeling that yaoi wasn't written for gay men and yuru for lesbians. I always thought it was written for, and I quote "horny fanboys" AND girls.
22658 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 6/9/12
I like both yaoi and yuri and i'm straight
87623 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
This thread deserves a bump, it caught my eye and was amusing...

no op you're completely wrong
8498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / i'm there. you kn...
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
i'm straight and i like yaoi and yuri.
30089 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / somewhere in kansas
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
like both yaoi and yuri and i'm bisexual, but you could probably like both still and be straight......maybe lol
66792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / ???????? ?? ?????
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
I like yuri so that makes me a lesbian according to the thread.
50401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / PA
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
I like both and I'm straight!

This reminds me, I saw Strawberry Panic for sale cheap at Best Buy, I'm really tempted to go pick it up...
30066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 8/6/12
I'm gay and I like yuri. No yaoi for me. I'm kind of tired of all the ecchi stuff though. I like more heartfelt shows like Aoi Hana, Sasameki Koto, and Kashimashi.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.