First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What is windows 7?
53203 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Philadelphia
Offline
Posted 6/17/12
Web servers depend on a lot of factors but most are run on Microsoft. Granted they may use Apache over IIS. Since I use .Net I'm always using IIS since I don't see the advantage of Apache, but if you're running PHP Apache can be a viable solution. But there are a lot of Linux web servers out there. It's probably only about 20% of the market though and I'm sure most of them don't use .Net.

Either way there's a reason Microsoft is the leader. Some may complain, but they're extremely good when it comes to documenting their code and have a strong developer support network. On a final note Microsoft fully supports customization. Never will Microsoft force you into using any of their software since they purposely leave ways to alter the OS. It may not be as easy as Linux, but if you read the documentation you can override almost anything using the right code.
7052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 6/17/12
Operating Systems are programs. It's software.
30150 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 6/17/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:


What does faith and humanity have to do with it?


I don't really know it wasn't my idea to write it
23034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / boys locker room
Offline
Posted 6/17/12 , edited 6/17/12
Windows 7 is the current release of Microsoft Windows, a series of operating systems produced by Microsoft for use on personal computers, including home and business desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablet PCs, and media center PCs.[6] Windows 7 was released to manufacturing on July 22, 2009,[7] and reached general retail availability worldwide on October 22, 2009,[8] less than three years after the release of its predecessor, Windows Vista. Windows 7's server counterpart, Windows Server 2008 R2, was released at the same time.
Unlike Windows Vista, which introduced a large number of new features, Windows 7 was intended to be a more focused, incremental upgrade to the Windows line, with the goal of being compatible with applications and hardware with which Windows Vista was already compatible.[9] Presentations given by Microsoft in 2008 focused on multi-touch support, a redesigned Windows shell with a new taskbar, referred to as the Superbar, a home networking system called HomeGroup,[10] and performance improvements. Some standard applications that have been included with prior releases of Microsoft Windows, including Windows Calendar, Windows Mail, Windows Movie Maker, and Windows Photo Gallery, are not included in Windows 7;[11][12] most are instead offered separately at no charge as part of the Windows Live Essentials suite.[13]



underlock wrote:


NoBreyner wrote:

Do delete system32 in the Windows folder, it's there for a reason and must be deleted




My computer runs so much faster now that I deleted system32. I just cleared up so much memory, I can't believe how much better my computer is without it!
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 6/18/12

blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:



Windows 7 is a operating system and it is pre-installed on computers from brands such as hp and dell because it is the mainly used OS in the world, it is because as worldwide means, most of the population is using windows at the moment, why? because the amount of applications that have been developed for windows such as photoshop. it is flexible you can use it on any computer and not find that you cannot run what you had before (unless your hardware limits you). its easy to use and most of us have used it for years so its really become the worlds Core Operating System. which is why you do not see linux being installed on computer largely by default because it is not widely used and you would not buy it unless it had windows installed prior.


From a commercial point of view installing windows will get them the most money as everyone uses it, apple have there own os and hardware range which limits them alot. They choose windows because its most used, it is the best os for them to use, it is compatible with the hardware they use in there computers and it attracts people to buy there computers.
When it comes to networks and servers you will find that company's will use windows xp as there clients and windows 2003 on there server this is because it is too expensive for the company to move onto windows 7.
Windows 7 and windows 2008 is the latest operating systems.

If you where to uninstall? okay format your harddrive so there is nothing on that hardrive. When you start your computer you will recieve an error from your bios saying "cannot find instance of OS on harddrive hdd0".
Your Bios runs when you start your computer and loads your operating system. you cannot change or remove your bios. it is stored on a read-only flash chip on your motherboard which cannot be accessed nor changed in windows

Hopefully this answered your question i could of rambled on about something completely different.


Your argument is invalid when Windows 8 comes out in the end of the year.


will be invalid but at the moment its not, and windows 8 is aiming towards a tablet area and with the change of the ui a doubt there be much of a change. and with companies using xp might still be the case especially when you come to the costs of it all.


XP can't stand for long and many programs dropped XP support. Microsoft will somehow force everyone to use the new version everytime and I'm not getting a pre-installed PC with Windows 8 when the time come. I'll rather go for Linux and Mac since they have big potential. BTW, Windows is a crappy and inefficent operating system to begin with.


But then again this is what you think xD i've spoke with schools and companys and they all say the same thing even if there pressured its too expensive to move from xp and then pay for upgrades for all the software, hardware and installing and maintaining the new server os, especially having to risk that. i use windows 7, ubuntu and xp (for work). i've tested out the releases of windows 8 and in my view its been ruined the metro look and the whole you will have to use a touchscreen or this shady scrollbar has ruined my love for windows. me and my group of friends all agree is going to be the next vista but with a worse ui.
But remember you have your views and i have mine and i've worked with companies and seen things go bad when upgrading server especially huge networks.

if you want to fight for your cause then go ahead but it doesn't exactly change how companies will view this kind of scenario.

also heres a fact i was given by a 24 year network technician, "In all the places i have worked worldwide none used linux, or apple as there core network. i was the only one in a university to use linux."

also if windows is "crappy" and "inefficient" why are you using it?


Software compatibility. That's why. On my laptop there's a triple boot of Mac, Linux and Windows. I only use Windows for my games and the rest is on the Mac or Linux. XP is probably the last best version of Windows, with Windows 7 coming at second place. BTW, many webservers use Linux and the reason other companies don't go for other OS because they're forced by Microsoft themselves.


having all three on your computer is a laugh, so from what your saying your using a macbook or your using hackntosh. so what distribution of linux are you using and what bootloader are you using. if you still using the windows bootloader then i doubt you've got linux. also the part of the bootloader i'm on about is the os selection.

i have windows running on my laptop with a ubuntu running on my desktop. i'm not touching osX because what it can do i can do in windows or ubuntu without the limitations.

btw if your lying to the forum thats pretty low, i've been trained in this area and i've worked with companies to build and upgrade there networks. not once i have seen the core server using linux, but i have seen print, mail and firewall servers (which are attached to the server) using linux. i love linux because there is no limits to what you can do, but also its still not as stable to be used as a core server in a large business which sadly but true is where windows gets used. and not once have i heard microsoft telling people to use there software.


1. I'm using a hackintosh, not an actual Mac since I don't have the money. I'm running Lion 10.7.3 right now alongside Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 LTS (with Linux kernel 3.4)

2. I'm using GRUB 2 to boot all these OSes.

3. Yes many corporations use Windows. But the real problem with Windows is there's too much legacy support, to the point it becomes bloated since companies always want to run an old, stable software, no matter how old is it. Besides, Windows has lots of security holes because of it. Other OSes like Linux and OSX don't really have legacy support for old applications. For example, OSX dropped PPC applications and most mac apps need at least 10.5 or even 10.6 to run.
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 6/18/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:



Windows 7 is a operating system and it is pre-installed on computers from brands such as hp and dell because it is the mainly used OS in the world, it is because as worldwide means, most of the population is using windows at the moment, why? because the amount of applications that have been developed for windows such as photoshop. it is flexible you can use it on any computer and not find that you cannot run what you had before (unless your hardware limits you). its easy to use and most of us have used it for years so its really become the worlds Core Operating System. which is why you do not see linux being installed on computer largely by default because it is not widely used and you would not buy it unless it had windows installed prior.


From a commercial point of view installing windows will get them the most money as everyone uses it, apple have there own os and hardware range which limits them alot. They choose windows because its most used, it is the best os for them to use, it is compatible with the hardware they use in there computers and it attracts people to buy there computers.
When it comes to networks and servers you will find that company's will use windows xp as there clients and windows 2003 on there server this is because it is too expensive for the company to move onto windows 7.
Windows 7 and windows 2008 is the latest operating systems.

If you where to uninstall? okay format your harddrive so there is nothing on that hardrive. When you start your computer you will recieve an error from your bios saying "cannot find instance of OS on harddrive hdd0".
Your Bios runs when you start your computer and loads your operating system. you cannot change or remove your bios. it is stored on a read-only flash chip on your motherboard which cannot be accessed nor changed in windows

Hopefully this answered your question i could of rambled on about something completely different.


Your argument is invalid when Windows 8 comes out in the end of the year.


will be invalid but at the moment its not, and windows 8 is aiming towards a tablet area and with the change of the ui a doubt there be much of a change. and with companies using xp might still be the case especially when you come to the costs of it all.


XP can't stand for long and many programs dropped XP support. Microsoft will somehow force everyone to use the new version everytime and I'm not getting a pre-installed PC with Windows 8 when the time come. I'll rather go for Linux and Mac since they have big potential. BTW, Windows is a crappy and inefficent operating system to begin with.


But then again this is what you think xD i've spoke with schools and companys and they all say the same thing even if there pressured its too expensive to move from xp and then pay for upgrades for all the software, hardware and installing and maintaining the new server os, especially having to risk that. i use windows 7, ubuntu and xp (for work). i've tested out the releases of windows 8 and in my view its been ruined the metro look and the whole you will have to use a touchscreen or this shady scrollbar has ruined my love for windows. me and my group of friends all agree is going to be the next vista but with a worse ui.
But remember you have your views and i have mine and i've worked with companies and seen things go bad when upgrading server especially huge networks.

if you want to fight for your cause then go ahead but it doesn't exactly change how companies will view this kind of scenario.

also heres a fact i was given by a 24 year network technician, "In all the places i have worked worldwide none used linux, or apple as there core network. i was the only one in a university to use linux."

also if windows is "crappy" and "inefficient" why are you using it?


Software compatibility. That's why. On my laptop there's a triple boot of Mac, Linux and Windows. I only use Windows for my games and the rest is on the Mac or Linux. XP is probably the last best version of Windows, with Windows 7 coming at second place. BTW, many webservers use Linux and the reason other companies don't go for other OS because they're forced by Microsoft themselves.

yeah well all the ones in my price range use windows and I don't like mac's because you can't open it up without a tool that only their shops and partner shops are allowed to use.



You could always make a hackintosh to that your PC boots OSX. Google is your friend.
6882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Strawberry Fields
Offline
Posted 6/18/12
The all new Windows!
30495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 6/18/12

JeeKTan wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:



Windows 7 is a operating system and it is pre-installed on computers from brands such as hp and dell because it is the mainly used OS in the world, it is because as worldwide means, most of the population is using windows at the moment, why? because the amount of applications that have been developed for windows such as photoshop. it is flexible you can use it on any computer and not find that you cannot run what you had before (unless your hardware limits you). its easy to use and most of us have used it for years so its really become the worlds Core Operating System. which is why you do not see linux being installed on computer largely by default because it is not widely used and you would not buy it unless it had windows installed prior.


From a commercial point of view installing windows will get them the most money as everyone uses it, apple have there own os and hardware range which limits them alot. They choose windows because its most used, it is the best os for them to use, it is compatible with the hardware they use in there computers and it attracts people to buy there computers.
When it comes to networks and servers you will find that company's will use windows xp as there clients and windows 2003 on there server this is because it is too expensive for the company to move onto windows 7.
Windows 7 and windows 2008 is the latest operating systems.

If you where to uninstall? okay format your harddrive so there is nothing on that hardrive. When you start your computer you will recieve an error from your bios saying "cannot find instance of OS on harddrive hdd0".
Your Bios runs when you start your computer and loads your operating system. you cannot change or remove your bios. it is stored on a read-only flash chip on your motherboard which cannot be accessed nor changed in windows

Hopefully this answered your question i could of rambled on about something completely different.


Your argument is invalid when Windows 8 comes out in the end of the year.


will be invalid but at the moment its not, and windows 8 is aiming towards a tablet area and with the change of the ui a doubt there be much of a change. and with companies using xp might still be the case especially when you come to the costs of it all.


XP can't stand for long and many programs dropped XP support. Microsoft will somehow force everyone to use the new version everytime and I'm not getting a pre-installed PC with Windows 8 when the time come. I'll rather go for Linux and Mac since they have big potential. BTW, Windows is a crappy and inefficent operating system to begin with.


But then again this is what you think xD i've spoke with schools and companys and they all say the same thing even if there pressured its too expensive to move from xp and then pay for upgrades for all the software, hardware and installing and maintaining the new server os, especially having to risk that. i use windows 7, ubuntu and xp (for work). i've tested out the releases of windows 8 and in my view its been ruined the metro look and the whole you will have to use a touchscreen or this shady scrollbar has ruined my love for windows. me and my group of friends all agree is going to be the next vista but with a worse ui.
But remember you have your views and i have mine and i've worked with companies and seen things go bad when upgrading server especially huge networks.

if you want to fight for your cause then go ahead but it doesn't exactly change how companies will view this kind of scenario.

also heres a fact i was given by a 24 year network technician, "In all the places i have worked worldwide none used linux, or apple as there core network. i was the only one in a university to use linux."

also if windows is "crappy" and "inefficient" why are you using it?


Software compatibility. That's why. On my laptop there's a triple boot of Mac, Linux and Windows. I only use Windows for my games and the rest is on the Mac or Linux. XP is probably the last best version of Windows, with Windows 7 coming at second place. BTW, many webservers use Linux and the reason other companies don't go for other OS because they're forced by Microsoft themselves.

yeah well all the ones in my price range use windows and I don't like mac's because you can't open it up without a tool that only their shops and partner shops are allowed to use.



You could always make a hackintosh to that your PC boots OSX. Google is your friend.

I bought my current laptop for around $400 it was half off on a clearance sale because I bought it after Christmas. I doubt I can build a hackintosh with that budget.
22781 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Somewhat in Asia.
Offline
Posted 6/18/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:


JeeKTan wrote:


blackoutrice wrote:



Windows 7 is a operating system and it is pre-installed on computers from brands such as hp and dell because it is the mainly used OS in the world, it is because as worldwide means, most of the population is using windows at the moment, why? because the amount of applications that have been developed for windows such as photoshop. it is flexible you can use it on any computer and not find that you cannot run what you had before (unless your hardware limits you). its easy to use and most of us have used it for years so its really become the worlds Core Operating System. which is why you do not see linux being installed on computer largely by default because it is not widely used and you would not buy it unless it had windows installed prior.


From a commercial point of view installing windows will get them the most money as everyone uses it, apple have there own os and hardware range which limits them alot. They choose windows because its most used, it is the best os for them to use, it is compatible with the hardware they use in there computers and it attracts people to buy there computers.
When it comes to networks and servers you will find that company's will use windows xp as there clients and windows 2003 on there server this is because it is too expensive for the company to move onto windows 7.
Windows 7 and windows 2008 is the latest operating systems.

If you where to uninstall? okay format your harddrive so there is nothing on that hardrive. When you start your computer you will recieve an error from your bios saying "cannot find instance of OS on harddrive hdd0".
Your Bios runs when you start your computer and loads your operating system. you cannot change or remove your bios. it is stored on a read-only flash chip on your motherboard which cannot be accessed nor changed in windows

Hopefully this answered your question i could of rambled on about something completely different.


Your argument is invalid when Windows 8 comes out in the end of the year.


will be invalid but at the moment its not, and windows 8 is aiming towards a tablet area and with the change of the ui a doubt there be much of a change. and with companies using xp might still be the case especially when you come to the costs of it all.


XP can't stand for long and many programs dropped XP support. Microsoft will somehow force everyone to use the new version everytime and I'm not getting a pre-installed PC with Windows 8 when the time come. I'll rather go for Linux and Mac since they have big potential. BTW, Windows is a crappy and inefficent operating system to begin with.


But then again this is what you think xD i've spoke with schools and companys and they all say the same thing even if there pressured its too expensive to move from xp and then pay for upgrades for all the software, hardware and installing and maintaining the new server os, especially having to risk that. i use windows 7, ubuntu and xp (for work). i've tested out the releases of windows 8 and in my view its been ruined the metro look and the whole you will have to use a touchscreen or this shady scrollbar has ruined my love for windows. me and my group of friends all agree is going to be the next vista but with a worse ui.
But remember you have your views and i have mine and i've worked with companies and seen things go bad when upgrading server especially huge networks.

if you want to fight for your cause then go ahead but it doesn't exactly change how companies will view this kind of scenario.

also heres a fact i was given by a 24 year network technician, "In all the places i have worked worldwide none used linux, or apple as there core network. i was the only one in a university to use linux."

also if windows is "crappy" and "inefficient" why are you using it?


Software compatibility. That's why. On my laptop there's a triple boot of Mac, Linux and Windows. I only use Windows for my games and the rest is on the Mac or Linux. XP is probably the last best version of Windows, with Windows 7 coming at second place. BTW, many webservers use Linux and the reason other companies don't go for other OS because they're forced by Microsoft themselves.

yeah well all the ones in my price range use windows and I don't like mac's because you can't open it up without a tool that only their shops and partner shops are allowed to use.



You could always make a hackintosh to that your PC boots OSX. Google is your friend.

I bought my current laptop for around $400 it was half off on a clearance sale because I bought it after Christmas. I doubt I can build a hackintosh with that budget.


Building one is pretty cheap. There are many guides on it around the net. if you're not daring to do it on your PC, you can always try it on a virtual machine like VMWare or Virtualbox.
370 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F
Offline
Posted 6/18/12

underlock wrote:


Fear-and-Hope wrote:

Delete system 32. Your system will run faster.


Not to mention that Microsoft uses system 32 to create their advertising network, generating them even income after you buy Windows 7.

C:\windows\system32


^These two guys. Don't listen to them. They're trolling you.




uhohimdead wrote:

Widows is an operating system and the operating system is the mind of your computer, uninstalling it would render your computer useless since it has no mind. if you were to uninstall it you wouldn't be able to do anything without installing a compatible operating system

there are a lot of OSs i suggest you go with the latest ones since they have more functionality

try this too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system


This guy's got the right idea. An excellent analogy.



uyretsgnay wrote:

and currently the 3 most well know OS are windows (vista, 7, and soon 8), apple (lion and soon mt. lion), and linux (ubuntu)

Windows is best for average consumers and gamers
Apple is for consumers with a little extra cash
Linux is for people that really know how a computer works (it is free to download if you want to try)

Well... I'd say that's mostly true, except Apple OS's seem to be geared more toward people who want it to do everything out of the box without having to download any extra software. Additionally, Macs can't catch Windows viruses, and vice-versa (despite claims to the contrary, there do exist viruses geared toward screwing Apple computers. You just don't hear about them because a LOT of places and people use Windows).
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.