First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
BLOW YOUR MIND!!!
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/22/12 , edited 6/22/12
Whoops, lagged and double posted.
14951 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 6/22/12 , edited 6/22/12
WHY ARE YOU SPENDING YOUR TIME THINKING ABOUT PINOCCHIO'S NOSE
2397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / In Rainbows
Offline
Posted 6/23/12 , edited 6/23/12

Morbidhanson wrote:


dyingsoon wrote:


Morbidhanson wrote:


dyingsoon wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

His nose will grow only if he was lying

So if he says "My nose will grow now" it means "I am lying"
If "My nose will grow now" is a lie then it means "I am lying" is a lie. But if I am lying is a lie, then he would not be lying
So he would be telling the truth, but this has two interpretations:

I am telling the truth or I am lying is true (or I am telling the truth about lying)



The following sentence is true.
The previous sentence is false.

this should explain it....

haha.. after reading your name FLYINGDUMPLING i remember my fav song in my highschool days
the title is CRYINGLIGHTNING by the Arctic monkeys... i LOL'ed


Hm, I don't think you are technically lying if you say something false because you believed it to be factual. Lying involves intentional misinformation, methinks.


it's a paradox a contradiction.


It would be a contradiction or a paradox if his nose grew whenever he was wrong about something, but he decided to speak those words anyway. In this scenario, we see many people who have mixed up 'lying' with 'being wrong.' Things are not lies simply because they are false or wrong. Things could be true now that might become false in the future. Likewise, things could have been true in the past but have now become false. Lies are characterized by an intention to misinform or hide part of the truth, not by wrongness.

If he says "My nose will grow" while sincerely believing that it will, then it will not grow since he isn't lying. He actually believes that it will. He is not lying, merely wrong, so it will not grow.

If he says "My nose will grow" while believing that it will not, then it will grow because now he is lying, intentionally saying something even though he believes otherwise.

In the Middle Ages, people weren't 'lying' when they described the world as being flat. They believed what they were saying. They were misinformed in that regard, not being dishonest.


If Pinocchio is to say: "I am getting sick", then, it could be either true or false, but Pinocchio's sentence "My nose will grow now" can be neither truth nor false hence this and only this sentence creates a contradiction.

Assume the sentence: "My nose will grow now" is true:
►Which means that Pinocchio's nose grows now because he truthfully says it is, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is false, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is true that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true.

Assume the sentence: "My nose will grow now" is false:
►Which means that Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because he falsely says it is, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is false that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is true, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false,


27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 6/23/12 , edited 6/23/12

dyingsoon wrote:
If Pinocchio is to say: "I am getting sick", then, it could be either true or false, but Pinocchio's sentence "My nose will grow now" can be neither truth nor false hence this and only this sentence creates a contradiction.

Assume the sentence: "My nose will grow now" is true:
►Which means that Pinocchio's nose grows now because he truthfully says it is, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is false, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio trustfully says it grows now, and it is true that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true.

Assume the sentence: "My nose will grow now" is false:
►Which means that Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because he falsely says it is, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because according to the novel it grows only as Pinocchio lies, but then
►Pinocchio's nose does not grow now because Pinocchio's nose grows now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is false that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be true, but then
►Pinocchio's nose grows now because Pinocchio's nose does not grow now, and Pinocchio falsely says it grows now, and it is true, that makes Pinocchio's sentence to be false,



Because he honestly spoke what he believed does not mean what he believed is actually right. You get what I'm saying? The sentence's truthfulness (or falseness) TO Pinocchio is what will indicate whether or not his nose will grow. If he is not aware that something won't happen but honestly believes that it will and, thus, states it to be true, he is not being dishonest and so he isn't lying. I think you must deem whether or not the sentence is true to Pinocchio, not whether or not it is true to you. It's a question of honesty (or dishonesty), not of right and wrong.

For instance, Pinocchio's name could actually be Geppetto Junior but, since he believes himself to be called Pinocchio, he wouldn't be lying even if he refers to himself as Pinnochio. Would you call him a liar if he is only speaking what he knows, even if you're aware that what he knows is wrong? It depends on what is going on in his mind as he is saying it. A lunatic can honestly say that he murdered 10 people because if he didn't, aliens would invade earth and enslave humanity. He wouldn't be lying if he said it, just wrong.

That's how I see it, anyway.
toxxin 
43361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / In my own little...
Offline
Posted 6/23/12
He also wears girls underwear and is an endless supply of firewood.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.