First  Prev  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  Next  Last
Post Reply Sword Art Online Discussions
Kill la Moderator
AHTL 
75599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Norway
Offline
Posted 12/9/12

xCrimsonEX wrote:

Would you drop the 'Gary Stu' aspect already, considering as I understand its meaning its 'Mr. Perfect' or the person that has everything go his way. First guild Kirito joined being wiped out, final boss fight of first part where Asuna dies before Kirito, getting knocked back back by the shield Salamanders in the neutral village, and getting k.o.'d by the enemies in the tree all prove the opposite as they are not 'perfection' and nor is Kirito. As far as combat abilities go it was stated early in the newest arc that he was essentially a 'hacked character' with abilities that others may not have and he may not have ready knowledge of. He didn't merge the weapons, he dual wielded which guess what has been shown to be an actual ability in SAO-verse. I could care less about cliches or not as long as they story is good but if you like being so picky have your fun with nothing to watch as EVERY anime has some. Recon is what in his early to mid-teens? so makes since wouldn't per se have deepened voice and you know its not the first anime in history to have teen males sound young so feel free to drop that as well.

I actually like Recon x Sugu because of that fact that he isn't the usual tough guy and is more of an intellectual/loyal guy. Not to say Kirito is bad pairing but he's already got Asuna.


Side-note: The flashbacks are put of giving more story and depth so shouldn't mind them.



I will drop the "Gary Stue" aspect once the anime drops it. i.e. Never.

The first guild deserved it. They entered a unknown secret room without taking any precautions and didn't listen to Kirito - It has nothing to with his overpowered abilities.

Asuna needed to "die" because Kirito was being a emotionally little twat during that fight, and her death gave him the extra Gary Stue power he needed to overcome the limits of the MMO.

Yes...? Anyone would get knocked back by a shield combination like that, they actually worked together - you know teamwork, a term almost foreign to Kirito.

Why are you even mentioning the enemies in tree? It was supposed to be impossible, and he attacked like a complete retard. He was meant to lose. That has nothing to do with his Gary Stue powers - OH and he didn't actually die, because he was revived and therefore LOST NOTHING but his pride.

Dual-wielded? Puh-lease... Look at the pictures below, there is a nice little detail there.




You know what the prerequisite for dual-wielding is? ONE weapon in EACH hand. Not clasping both weapons together and merging them. Because they were merged, you can't deny that. Look at how vastly different Sugu's weapon looks in Kirito's hand.


Just because someone is a Gary Stue doesn't mean that they won't suffer emotional setbacks.


The big problem with Recon is that he is the same age as Sugu, yet sounds like he is twice as young as her - i.e. 8 years. He acts like one too. "Maybe she will love me if I sacrifice myself for her kawaii-harem-lure-Kirito-chan!!"


I'm not going to drop anything. I've come this far and laughed at the horribly written parts so far, I have no intention of stopping. Nor can you stop me from writing my honest opinion about it.
17226 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/9/12
They totally cut out the best part from the novels :(
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 12/9/12 , edited 12/9/12


1) If Kirito was 'picture perfect' he would've pulled out some unique skill or item that only he could to save the first guild members and yet guess what, he didn't. He had to sit and watch as they died in front of him, not so perfect.

2) I'm sure any MC of any anime would go into final fight with his life on the line without any hesitation /sarcasm. Do you have a blueprint on how SAO server was setup or how the headset works? No, you don't and as such you don't have a clue about what is possible and what isn't in the SAO-verse.

3) The fact he wasn't able to single-handedly take the group down proves that he's no superman. And some people aren't natural team types. For instance I play an mmo and guess what, I solo most of the stuff I do because I don't like teaming up. omg what a shock there's such a thing as solo-ers in a game where your life and if you team up with others their lives are on your hands. Add to that, that Kirito in first half is considered a 'Beater' which isn't a good thing by most of the other players and yh I doubt I'd look for a party either.

4) People in a emotional storm think straight: false. He was caught in the emotional storm and thus didn't think straight, iirc he even implied as much. Deny if you want he did die and Leafa as an ally would do revived him, omg another player rezzing someone again something I do all the time in the mmo I play.

5) Look closely at your picture and you'll notice one blade LAYING on top of another. NOT MERGED. And dual-wielding means using 2 swords not per se holding them in separate hands so he was dual-wielding.

6) Some people do have a self-sacrificing personality and I find it actually redeeming quality. Again how many other animes are guilty of using younger voices for older characters? Several so I don't find this as a big deal but hey be hyper-critical all you want over something like this.

7) Kirito is a nice guy and guess what they usually are surrounded by people that like them. Kirito isn't leading anyone on about where his love is set so I don't see any 'harem'.

8) Its up to you if you want to sit here and nitpick at every little detail just to justify your hatred of a decent (not super, not excellent, not best of the century) anime. And ultimately kinda stupid to continue to watch an anime just to whine about this and that.

9) You're entitled to your 'opinion' but not your own 'facts'. People that abuse said 'opinions' can and probably have made people not bother watching various other anime out there because they read what you had to say as if it was a 'fact'. In fact I myself have almost fallen victim to it, which is why these days I dislike those who 'nitpick' or who just actively go into anime wanting to hate it then use every detail they can to excuse it.

Words have power, opinions have power, if anything will destroy anime its hyper-critical people.
25972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 12/9/12 , edited 12/9/12


you're just wasting your time. he's just trolling. though, he seems to think it's justified because he's "just stating his honest opinion".
72656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 12/9/12 , edited 12/9/12
Let us propose this argument:

"The vast amount of plot loop holes does not deter Sword Art Online being a good anime"

good = people like said anime

Why?

1) Saving damsel in distress.

2) Fantasy Island.

3) The Protagonist is not a whiny little bitch.

This is one of "those" animes where if you put every aspect/detail towards plot on the back foot you end up liking it. Of course this doesn't cater to those who constantly think about plot.


In previous threads/posts people have said "I like said anime but I know it is bad"

I will say this anime is pretty bad in terms of plot, but I certainly do not care, this anime has catered to my taste in a story: a dual-wielding badass at least I think he is cool.

Also, he effortlessly builds a harem...

EDIT: There are certain cliches that sell, that JUST sell the anime.

You know that little scene that bro x sis flying and twirling in midair.

Question how many people that like SAO would go OMG;ALSKDJF;ALSFIOWAN!!! if that was Asuna at the end??? of course you'd have to be an Asuna fan which I think the majority are.
46297 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tiphares
Offline
Posted 12/9/12

aidenraine wrote:



you're just wasting your time. he's just trolling. though, he seems to think it's justified because he's "just stating his honest opinion".


This.
54037 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
the South Bay
Offline
Posted 12/9/12 , edited 12/9/12
I read the novel again and I though its pretty damm close.

There maybe a weakness in the entire plot and the adaptation could be better but I think why a lot really like this anime because it is exciting ,interesting and the protagonist is likable , there is a love interest , there is a lot of heart. It has both action and drama.The other characters compliments well and the writting is a bit different where in the 2 arcs , has almost a total set of cast , which you dont see much in anime these days.

Sometimes the weakness of the anime lies in the author since a lot characters are made but they are not developed well. And once you build the supporting characters stronger and then you dont see them anymore it leaves a hole , one should have a clear transistion when that happens.

If I were to redo this anime, I would redo the Aincrad arc and make it into a 25 episodes. series. Change the screenplay and script so the side stories are intoduced more naturally.Pay more attention to details in the game play of VRMMO and follow the novel as much as possible in the way a writer would decribe details and get more funding to pay the staff lol.

Of course this anime is not the best, but I enjoy watching this anime a lot.


25972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 12/9/12

iashakezula wrote:

I read the novel again and I though its pretty damm close.

There are indeed weakness in the plot but I think why a lot really like this anime because it is exciting ,interesting and the protagonist is likable , there is a love interest , there is a lot of heart. The other characters compliments well and the writting is a bit different where in the 2 arcs , has almost a total set of cast , which you dont see much in anime these days.It has action and drama.

If I were to redo this anime, I would redo the Aincrad arc and make it into a 25 episodes. series. Change the screenplay so the side stories are intoduced more naturally.Pay more attention to details in the game play of VRMMO and follow the novel as much as possible in the way a writer would decribe details and get more funding to pay the staff lol.

Of course this anime is not the best, but I enjoy watching this anime a lot.



yes yes yes. they should have made the aincrad arc longer. I've been saying all along that they should have included more details, and especially the character's inner monologue. as the anime is, it's good, but definitely not living up to it's potential. using it as a supplement to the LNs will definitely enrich the experience you come away with.
1322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 12/9/12

I have to disagree on plot as I am someone that looks for that mostly when watching an anime, can forgive art style and what not. I like the plot so far though if might've been done better. Your third point doesn't fit into all personality types as there are people that are weak-willed in reality. Also Kirito does not have a harem, at worse fan-base, since each one only has a mild crush on him except Sugu and thats mostly out of respect. Though tbh I wouldn't mind harem if done right but I just don't see it. They are not brother and sister =.= I mean seriously how many times does it need to be said. And again I could even deal with that as long as the story itself was good and justified it (like if was set during medieval time period where this was considered normal). Plot is good (not perfect but good), art is great, and characters are good imo.

Question of my own Asuna at the end of what?
19607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/9/12

aidenraine wrote:



you're just wasting your time. he's just trolling. though, he seems to think it's justified because he's "just stating his honest opinion".


I kind of agree. And I think it's doubly weird and off-putting because he's a mod for a site that has likely raked in a lot of membership money from streaming SAO. Rabidly attacking every episode immediately after they air every week, and seeing statements like "I only watch it for something to laugh at" and "I can't wait for this crappy anime to be over" sort of disenfranchises fans, most of whom are paying customers. I'm not saying he isn't entitled to his opinion, but I do think that, from the perspective of somebody who does a lot of community management work in online games, more thought should be put into how the site is being represented.
52 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Balamb Garden
Offline
Posted 12/9/12 , edited 12/9/12

AnimeKami wrote:

Let us propose this argument:

"The vast amount of plot loop holes does not deter Sword Art Online being a good anime"

good = people like said anime

Why?

1) Saving damsel in distress.

2) Fantasy Island.

3) The Protagonist is not a whiny little bitch.

This is one of "those" animes where if you put every aspect/detail towards plot on the back foot you end up liking it. Of course this doesn't cater to those who constantly think about plot.


In previous threads/posts people have said "I like said anime but I know it is bad"

I will say this anime is pretty bad in terms of plot, but I certainly do not care, this anime has catered to my taste in a story: a dual-wielding badass at least I think he is cool.

Also, he effortlessly builds a harem...

EDIT: There are certain cliches that sell, that JUST sell the anime.

You know that little scene that bro x sis flying and twirling in midair.

Question how many people that like SAO would go OMG;ALSKDJF;ALSFIOWAN!!! if that was Asuna at the end??? of course you'd have to be an Asuna fan which I think the majority are.


First of all your first "argument" isn't really an argument, it's more of a declaration of opinion. You then propose to answer a question with three potential possibilities for liking this anime that certainly aren't all inclusive. For example, the most compelling reason I personally have for liking this anime in spite of plot flaws (which btw don't automatically make it a "bad" plot, just an imperfectly executed plot) is the vmmorpg setting. As a gamer girl, I was immediately hooked on this show from the moment Kirito opened his eyes in Aincrad. I would probably watch a hundred episodes about the various characters and their adventures and trials as they sought to clear the game. Js. There are many reasons viewers like an anime and many subjective opinions on whether or not said anime is "good" or not.

You then go on to say "This is one of "those" animes where if you put every aspect/detail towards plot on the back foot you end up liking it. Of course this doesn't cater to those who constantly think about plot." ....... I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. If you mean that plot aside, it's still likable, I agree. If you mean that you can only enjoy this anime by putting the plot aside, I disagree. What is it with the poorly worded over-simplifications, anyway? And while SOA may not cater to those who constantly think about plot, perfectly realized, flawlessly plotted animes are kind of thin on the ground IMO, and there is still a lot to like about shows that aren't perfect, even putting subjective arguments and opinions aside as you must to even pursue a line of argument on this subject.

A dual-wielding badass is appealing, but is far from the only good thing about the show, and I don't think he builds a harem at all. He might be a bit of an unintentional ladies' man, but that's as far as it goes for the most part, and your statement regarding this also doesn't define this as either a positive or a negative, so I'm not even clear on why you mention it.

There may be cliches in this (and nearly all animes at some point or another) but your comment about bro and (cousin) sis twirling just sounds silly and doesn't strike me as something that sells, JUST sells the anime as a cliche....

And yeah... Asuna at the end of what?

After reading your post, I can't even really tell if you like or dislike SOA yourself, and your proposed arguments (for or against?) are so ill-defined that the only thing I'm left with is a sense that you are dismissing the merits of the show with an over-generalized, random-seeming selection of comments and questions, none of which serve any purpose other than to confuse and annoy. :P.

As someone who really likes the show, I have no problem stating that there are some plot defects. That I have found some aspects of the second half of the show annoying. That I truly wish that they had stretched out the Aincrad story over the entirety of season one. BUT I still think its a very entertaining show that I'm proud to list as one of my favorites and I dare say that there are few shows out there that don't have flaws and plot issues.

Sorry for the soliloquy!
3013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/12 , edited 12/10/12

xhairy wrote:

im not seeing a next episode on my list of ques ....

the last episode of sao is #23????


http://www.crunchyroll.com/launchcalendar

According to this, there's nothing new the whole week before the 21st for premium members and everything is going to become public on the 20th (at least as it's normally scheduled)

Sorry if my first ever post is completely useless, I just thought I'd chime in before the end of the world.

EDIT: and sorry to be critical of your spelling, but it's *queue
6062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / FL
Offline
Posted 12/10/12
Pissed me off this last episode.... all im thinking is buy better sword use dual sword why are you charging in like that??!?! It was quite frustrating!
47569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 12/10/12

zHavoc wrote:


xhairy wrote:

im not seeing a next episode on my list of ques ....

the last episode of sao is #23????


http://www.crunchyroll.com/launchcalendar

According to this, there's nothing new the whole week before the 21st for premium members and everything is going to become public on the 20th (at least as it's normally scheduled)

Sorry if my first ever post is completely useless, I just thought I'd chime in before the end of the world.

EDIT: and sorry to be critical of your spelling, but it's *queue


Someone forgot to update the schedule I think. Unless the world DOES end there should be new anime after this week!
3013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/10/12 , edited 12/10/12

hpulley wrote:

Someone forgot to update the schedule I think. Unless the world DOES end there should be new anime after this week!


Maybe they forgot to update it, but if you check the next month (Jan, 2013) it has one publicly available episode. It also says at the bottom that it's subject to change without notice and to check back often. I'm just hoping they're not taking the end of the world thing seriously.

I'm not saying there's NO new anime, just that CR isn't making any available to its members for the week. It could also be a holiday thing.
First  Prev  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.