First  Prev  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next  Last
Fall 2012 anime
720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Philippines
Offline
Posted 10/5/12

llamaben wrote:


pistolsaf wrote:

Crunchyroll and The Anime Network are competitors. Crunchyroll does have an association with Sentai, who of course licenses anime and uses TAN and/or CR and Hulu to stream their shows. Right now, this seems like a black eye on TAN and no one else. I am sure that Japanese licensor is likely angry about this, but since it really hasn't been reported on ANN or other anime news site, it will likely blow over and just the few of us that noticed it will remember it.

I have no idea how these contracts work, but Sentai might be in trouble too if they were the ones that approved TAN's time. It's hard to assess the full impact right now - ANN's leak basically killed their simulcast attempts, while other premature airings have been swept under the rug - but you would think that Sentai would be wishing they licensed the 4 series to CR rather than TAN.

Mixing up times is something that happens a lot for some reason, but TAN's response to TheAnicentOne's warning is just another example of how incompetent they are. I've messaged CR about a premature airing before (it was only off by an hour), and they responded by fixing the time within half an hour. My message was sent at around 11pm PDT, which makes the speedy response even more surprising.

When you think about it the difference in responses is something to be expected - CR are committed to delivering good quality streams that are comparable to fansubs while TAN is still stuck in the 90's using those awful yellow subs.


I'm curious. What was TAN's reply to TheAncientOne?
36593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 10/5/12

dark_pride wrote:


llamaben wrote:


pistolsaf wrote:

Crunchyroll and The Anime Network are competitors. Crunchyroll does have an association with Sentai, who of course licenses anime and uses TAN and/or CR and Hulu to stream their shows. Right now, this seems like a black eye on TAN and no one else. I am sure that Japanese licensor is likely angry about this, but since it really hasn't been reported on ANN or other anime news site, it will likely blow over and just the few of us that noticed it will remember it.

I have no idea how these contracts work, but Sentai might be in trouble too if they were the ones that approved TAN's time. It's hard to assess the full impact right now - ANN's leak basically killed their simulcast attempts, while other premature airings have been swept under the rug - but you would think that Sentai would be wishing they licensed the 4 series to CR rather than TAN.

Mixing up times is something that happens a lot for some reason, but TAN's response to TheAnicentOne's warning is just another example of how incompetent they are. I've messaged CR about a premature airing before (it was only off by an hour), and they responded by fixing the time within half an hour. My message was sent at around 11pm PDT, which makes the speedy response even more surprising.

When you think about it the difference in responses is something to be expected - CR are committed to delivering good quality streams that are comparable to fansubs while TAN is still stuck in the 90's using those awful yellow subs.


I'm curious. What was TAN's reply to TheAncientOne?


http://www.theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,183/catid,4/func,view/id,117767/limit,10/limitstart,20/#127027


Nah, the hours are right, are you adjusting for Japan Time?

Our simulcast will go out as planned, as we have had our release dates and hours approved by the licensors. Thanks.


TheAncientOne had quoted that a few pages back in this thread. I am hoping that this was a typo on the contract, and somebody in Japan goofed(but TAN should have been more on the ball about it)
69882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 10/5/12 , edited 10/5/12
We now know Japan's reply to TAN "simulcasting" before the free to air broadcast premier:

The Anime Network Removes 1st To Love-Ru Darkness Episode

The Anime Network has removed the first episode of the third To Love-Ru -Trouble- television anime series, To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness, after premiering the episode on its website on Thursday evening.

The company has also removed its article announcing that it will be streaming the series, and the show is not listed on the company's show index page.

And ANN has "contacted TAN for comment", so TAN's silence when its ANN calling speaks volumes.


llamaben wrote:
I have no idea how these contracts work, but Sentai might be in trouble too if they were the ones that approved TAN's time.

Yes, we don't know whether TAN is written into the contract with Sentai or whether Sentai signs a contract in Japan and then Sentai and TAN sign another contract.

However, we do know that since its Japan, if its the original licensor that blew it, TAN and Sentai will apologize profusely for not having caught the mistake, a new contract will be written, and after the announcement is approved, it will go back up. So maybe a week of silence and uncertainty and then a new announcement.

If its Sentai or TAN that made the mistake, it could be months to sort it out.
The Wise Wizard
79765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/5/12

agila61 wrote:
If its Sentai or TAN that made the mistake, it could be months to sort it out.

TAN doesn't appear to be the only one affected. Anime on Demand posted this on their Twitter feed:

We're going to be delayed on Chuunibyo, To Love-Ru, Hidamari Sketch and Busou Shinki due to issues outside of our hands by looks of it.

Followed by later responses:

It should not be too severe we hope and we'll update as soon as we know what is going on - not an EU problem though.

@Fudce Just a first week delay we hope.

Hopefully none of CR's simulcasts licensed via Sentai will be affected.

69882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 10/5/12

TheAncientOne wrote: Hopefully none of CR's simulcasts licensed via Sentai will be affected.

Yes, which gets down to whether it was Sentai's mistake or TAN's. If they want to smack TAN, they would be very careful to NOT touch the Crunchyroll streams.

I hope that the word from AOD is correct, which suggests it was a mistake on the part of the licensor, so as long as the licensee humbly apologizes, everything can be fixed up. Given the mechanics of getting a new contract signed and getting announcements re-approved, losing a week would be normal.
jree78 
59168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Houston, TX
Offline
Posted 10/5/12

agila61 wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote: Hopefully none of CR's simulcasts licensed via Sentai will be affected.

Yes, which gets down to whether it was Sentai's mistake or TAN's. If they want to smack TAN, they would be very careful to NOT touch the Crunchyroll streams.

I hope that the word from AOD is correct, which suggests it was a mistake on the part of the licensor, so as long as the licensee humbly apologizes, everything can be fixed up. Given the mechanics of getting a new contract signed and getting announcements re-approved, losing a week would be normal.


Aren't those four shows TBS shows, it should not effect the other four right because the last time I checked the other shows were on some delays thus hinting at different contracts all together.
69882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 10/5/12

jree78 wrote: Aren't those four shows TBS shows, it should not effect the other four right because the last time I checked the other shows were on some delays thus hinting at different contracts all together.

Chuunibyo Demo: looks like it, TBS is sharing the stream and given production credits in ANN encyclopedia
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb ~ TBS is given production credit
Busou Shinki ~ TBS is given production credit
To Love-Ru -Trouble -Darkness, TBS has streaming

It looks like the first three are a package deal (which makes sense they were announced together by TAN), and then the relationship was leveraged to snag To Love-Ru TouchDown.

Suppose it was TBS's fault ~ suppose they cleared the contract with the wrong date in it and cleared the announcement with an announced streaming date in advance of broadcast premier. And on a series where they are getting the content from the production committee, but are not a member.

"Why, it was those silly foreigners. They messed it up, they did not do proper due diligence. We will make sure they understand the importance of getting this right ~ we will suspend their access to the other materials they are getting from us until we have everything resolved to your satisfaction."

Which is why if it was TBS's fault, the appropriate thing for TAN and Sentai to do is to grovel, but hopefully it will only be about a week delay.

If it was TAN's fault, they still have to grovel, but they might be made to suffer quite a bit more before it is resolved. Getting that package deal from TBS's production involvements and then negligently "pre-mulcasting" TBS's stream of To Love-Ru TD is a serious insult. It suggests that the TBS deal was not considered important enough to focus on getting everything exactly right.

But, yes, if Crunchyroll is not getting its materials from TBS, then Crunchyroll is a lot less likely to be pulled into the collateral damage.
The Wise Wizard
79765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/5/12 , edited 10/5/12

jree78 wrote:
Aren't those four shows TBS shows, it should not effect the other four right because the last time I checked the other shows were on some delays thus hinting at different contracts all together.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! and To Love-Ru: Trouble - Darkness don't even air on TBS at a later date. Both premiered on Tokyo MX, and it was their broadcast premiere that got ninja'd by TAN.

24016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / São Paulo, Brazil
Offline
Posted 10/5/12
CR didn't get Jojo.

Damn.
The Wise Wizard
79765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/5/12

leokiko123 wrote:

CR didn't get Jojo.

Damn.

Or at least not on time. There is also the possibility that Funimation may have snagged it. We probably have close to a week before we find out what they have.

That said, for some reason, I had my doubts about this one being simulcast at all.



69882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 10/5/12 , edited 10/5/12

TheAncientOne wrote: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! and To Love-Ru: Trouble - Darkness don't even air on TBS at a later date. Both premiered on Tokyo MX, and it was their broadcast premiere that got ninja'd by TAN.

But TBS does stream both, and is on the production committee for Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
BDT87 
31868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Wales, UK
Offline
Posted 10/5/12
Two series I couldn't even finish watching the hole episode so yea I won't be watching these:
Hayate No Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Busou Shinki

The series I have watched so far

Zetsuen no Tempest
K
To-Love Ru Darkness
BTOOOM!
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Shin Sekai Yori
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

Most likely to keep watching:
BTOOOM!
K
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
To-Love Ru Darkness
Shin Sekai Yori

The other two I will have to wait and see.
29567 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / New Jersey
Online
Posted 10/5/12
I wish Crunchy would have picked up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure...
The Wise Wizard
79765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/6/12
Updates to initial post:

Added information on TAN premature simulcast of first episode of To Love Ru Darkness
69882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Online
Posted 10/6/12

NJZanDatsu wrote: I wish Crunchy would have picked up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure...

Who picked up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? I don't see any announcement on either ANN or Mania.
First  Prev  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.