First  Prev  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  Next  Last
Fall 2012 anime
69868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/16/12

llamaben wrote:
- Those other airings for Medaka Box aren't influencing the stream time.

Yes, as we already discussed, because its on Crunchyroll before the episode is seen in those limited other parts of Japan that get a broadcast at all.

"Simultaneous with broadcast" obviously has a fuzzier meaning for a messy system like Japan's, where the "time of broadcast" is different by hours to days to over a week for different parts of Japan, and where a majority of the population only has access to most of each season's anime via narrowcast, bootlegs or the following physical releases ..

... but "during the period when the episode is broadcasting in different parts of Japan" is as close to "simultaneous with broadcast" as its possible to get. When an event is spread across three or five days or more, "simultaneous" can't be precise to the hour.

If y'all get your knickers in a twist over whether it streams within an hour or two of the premier broadcast, why not call that a premier simulcast? Then you and Ryan can loftily dismiss series that are not premier simulcasts, I can laugh at people who act as entitled as that, and everybody can be happy.
The Wise Wizard
79593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/16/12
Updates to initial post:

Updated link to Neregate chart to version 3.0.
Switched displayed chart to Animucharts version 3.0 and re-ordered series list to match.
Updated information on The Anime Network simulcast of Chunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai
74431 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/16/12 , edited 10/16/12

agila61 wrote:


llamaben wrote:
- Those other airings for Medaka Box aren't influencing the stream time.

Yes, as we already discussed, because its on Crunchyroll before the episode is seen in those limited other parts of Japan that get a broadcast at all.

"Simultaneous with broadcast" obviously has a fuzzier meaning for a messy system like Japan's, where the "time of broadcast" is different by hours to days to over a week for different parts of Japan, and where a majority of the population only has access to most of each season's anime via narrowcast, bootlegs or the following physical releases ..

... but "during the period when the episode is broadcasting in different parts of Japan" is as close to "simultaneous with broadcast" as its possible to get. When an event is spread across three or five days or more, "simultaneous" can't be precise to the hour.

If y'all get your knickers in a twist over whether it streams within an hour or two of the premier broadcast, why not call that a premier simulcast? Then you and Ryan can loftily dismiss series that are not premier simulcasts, I can laugh at people who act as entitled as that, and everybody can be happy.

Even though I won't watch them, I have no problems when a simulcast is late because of a secondary broadcast. But that is clearly not the case with Medaka Box 2 - almost all TV Tokyo series have later broadcasts on TV Aichi and TV Osaka, yet CR still streamed them after the premiere. Other than Medaka Box and Asobi ni Iku yo (another mediafactory series) I can't even name a single TV Tokyo series on CR that was streamed with a delay. Asura Cryin' was even simulcast straight after the AT-X broadcast (the series didn't air on TV Tokyo, but CR lists TV Tokyo as the publisher).

My main issue is when a licensing company has an extra delay for other reasons, like the series from mediafactory and the new 5 hour delays with YTV simulcasts. As you have said sometimes there is a valid reason, but for most of the other delays it seems more like the Japanese companies don't want the series streamed so soon after the broadcast.

Leaving the legality aside, fansubs and rips (and subsequent LQ streams) are CR's main competitor for views. For me wanting earlier simulcasts is not so much an entitlement issue, but rather the fact that there are competitors releasing the same product before the legal streams. This is actually the same reason why I subscribe to CR instead of downloading CR rips. It takes 5 minutes for CR rips to make the net, and then another 10-20 minutes to download them straight after they are released, so I'm basically paying to see something 30 minutes before I otherwise would.
24387 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Towson, Maryland
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12

llamabenLeaving the legality aside, fansubs and rips (and subsequent LQ streams) are CR's main competitor for views. For me wanting earlier simulcasts is not so much an entitlement issue, but rather the fact that there are competitors releasing the same product before the legal streams. This is actually the same reason why I subscribe to CR instead of downloading CR rips. It takes 5 minutes for CR rips to make the net, and then another 10-20 minutes to download them straight after they are released, so I'm basically paying to see something 30 minutes before I otherwise would.


I would have to agree that this is my main issue with the latecasts. I am no saint, so I won't try to deny I use fansubs (I'd miss far too much good anime if I only did legal streaming), so they obviously play a roll in what Crunchy offers me. I've subscribed to Crunchy since they give me good fast anime with more convenience than fansubs. So when they get a show first, I'll always watch it here.

But what about something like From the New World? It gets fansubbed 3 days before Crunchy gets it. Why should I wait 3 days to watch it? I know some people will say I'm entitled or I'm just a dirty pirate, but I feel that we as consumers SHOULD expect the best out of a company we are paying for, and if they don't deliver, we don't have to accept that. If they had gotten the original airing, they'd get my ad revenue and hits, but they likely settled for a cheaper license price to get a late stream, so they'll have to deal with getting less money out of it.

If Crunchy wants to compete and give people reasons to use their service over illegal methods, then they need to focus on their advantages over fansubs. Ignoring them and just hoping that people won't use the fansubs that come out before their stream is just going to hurt them in the end.
44600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Northampton, Mass...
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

llamaben wrote:

Gintama is at a good time but I refuse to watch anything with yellow subs (the light yellow subs look MUCH better than TAN's crap, but I still can't stand them). The other 3 real simulcasts* are just at a bad time/day for me personally, though Hiiro No Kakera's 5 hour delay certainly doesn't help with that...


I'm pretty sure those subs are golden just for the Kintama arc. The Japanese credits and song lyrics are also golden, so I think once the arc is finished it will be back to normal. Personally I think that it's a really nice touch to go along with the entire Kintama plot line.
69868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / Northeast Ohio, USA
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12

llamaben wrote: My main issue is when a licensing company has an extra delay for other reasons, like the series from mediafactory and the new 5 hour delays with YTV simulcasts. As you have said sometimes there is a valid reason, but for most of the other delays it seems more like the Japanese companies don't want the series streamed so soon after the broadcast.

If it tracks with an animation studio, as with Mediafactory, and does not have an obvious "embargo" timing with a broadcast, it seems less likely that it has anything to do with them "not wanting" it to be streamed so soon after the broadcast, and more likely them not wanting to be required to deliver the materials for the stream substantially earlier than the materials are required to be made available for the broadcasts.


Leaving the legality aside, fansubs and rips (and subsequent LQ streams) are CR's main competitor for views.

Just fansubs ~ rips from CR subs obviously have to wait until CR streams.

But, yeah, that's the behavior that I find hilarious, having to get the anime episode "first", like its some kind of sporting competition.

I can imagine really wanting to see something that is unlicensed so much that I am tempted to hunt up the bootleg. But I have difficulty imagining bothering to look for a bootleg to download just so I can watch something a day or a couple of hours earlier, on my computer, when if I just go about my day, there it will be on my Roku on the TV by me bed when I go to bed at night.


RyanSaotome wrote:
... But what about something like From the New World? It gets fansubbed 3 days before Crunchy gets it. Why should I wait 3 days to watch it? I know some people will say I'm entitled or I'm just a dirty pirate,

Of course some will, because this is a "fan" entitlement argument ~ "I can get it three days earlier by trampling the rights of and screwing over the creators, so why should I support the creators of that show?"

As far as the question ... well, why shouldn't you? Its only three days, after all. Jesus, you are getting on demand streaming before the majority of the residents of Japan have it provided to them.

As far as "dirty pirate", the people making and distributing the bootleg copies are the "dirty pirates", so unless you are seeding it while doing a torrent download, or volunteering to help out a scumbag leech streaming site, you don't qualify for the "dirty pirate" label.


but I feel that we as consumers SHOULD expect the best out of a company we are paying for, and if they don't deliver, we don't have to accept that. ...

Yes, this is the fan entitlement rationalization in a nutshell. You are paying from pennies to a quarter as license revenue for access to a large amount of simulcast anime (except for those outside of the North & South America, Northern Europe, Australasia and South Africa core licensing region).

And on the basis of paying penny candy prices for your anime, you demand a box of Guylian chocolates.
24016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / São Paulo, Brazil
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12
I only watch fansubs if CR gets it 5+ days late or it isn't available in my country. Shin Sekai Yori IS available in my country(about the only great anime this season that is) so I already have it on hold to marathon it on CR later.

However. Stuff like Jojo, LB!, Psycho-Pass, Magi etc. Fansubs all the way.
18776 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/17/12
It's good to see that To Love Ru Darkness page on TAN is back up. Episodes 1 and 2 are scheduled for this Thursday and Friday; and then episode 3 is at the scheduled simulcast time this Saturday at 11:00am EDT / 8:00am PDT.
52211 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / With Lucina
Online
Posted 10/17/12

hpulley wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:

aw, the last box was taken by that previously announced drama
oh well, now the only thing I will wait on is if there are any good catalog titles coming this week

imo CR's Fall 2012 season is ok, not the best though (I still think Summer 2012 was awesome as well as Spring 2012)


Spring and summer were awesome, I agree. And Crunchyroll didn't get all the shows on my list this fall but I am still watching several of the continuing series and I have started to watch ten of the new ones with a few still to start. Not sure I will keep up with all of them but it isn't like they don't have anything to watch. Psycho Pass and Robotics; Notes went to Funimation, which is too bad and strangely no one has Little Busters, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Sukitte ii na yo but there is still a chance for a late pickup...

yeah, I still have a pretty full list of shows to watch just here on CR for fall season along with the continuing shows
when you say there's still a chance...how much of a chance are we talking here?
53315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

Rito2Ru wrote:

yeah, I still have a pretty full list of shows to watch just here on CR for fall season along with the continuing shows
when you say there's still a chance...how much of a chance are we talking here?


Slim but more than none...
36571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 10/17/12
And today's catalog title annoucement is Kobato , another Sentai sublicense.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-779031/new-catalog-titles-kobato

There is a hint that tomorrow's is a big one. If the leak of Infinite Stratos is right, then I'd expect that. Or Toradora if they are doing more NIS America titles.

24397 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 10/17/12

pistolsaf wrote:

And today's catalog title annoucement is Kobato , another Sentai sublicense.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-779031/new-catalog-titles-kobato

There is a hint that tomorrow's is a big one. If the leak of Infinite Stratos is right, then I'd expect that. Or Toradora if they are doing more NIS America titles.



I've been so disappointed with these catalog releases Can't watch a single one so far outside the US/Canada. I don't do fansubs because I want to support the industry but I miss so much >_<
The Wise Wizard
79593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/17/12 , edited 10/17/12

pistolsaf wrote:

And today's catalog title annoucement is Kobato , another Sentai sublicense.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-779031/new-catalog-titles-kobato

There is a hint that tomorrow's is a big one. If the leak of Infinite Stratos is right, then I'd expect that. Or Toradora if they are doing more NIS America titles.

NIS America seems to have let the cat out of the bag on the next two:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-779031/new-catalog-titles-kobato?fpid=41350889

From the link to the NIS America website in that message (bold added for emphasis):

Watch 6 free episodes of select NISA anime on Crunchyroll! - Oct-17-2012
Watch free episodes of PandoraHearts, Toradora!, and kimi ni todoke Vol.1!




Updates to initial post:

Added premiere date information for Crunchyroll simulcast of Ebiten.
Added information on The Anime Network resumption of simulcast of To Love Ru Darkness.
Marked The Anime Network simulcast of Chunibyo Demo Koi Ga Shitai as premiered


Posted 10/17/12
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/10/17-1/the-anime-network-sets-new-schedule-for-to-love-ru-darkness
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-17/the-anime-network-to-resume-to-love-ru-darkness-simulcast-this-week

TAN will resume their TLR: D simulcast with the episodes coming on these dates:


Episode 1 - Thursday, October 18, 2012 @ 10:00 AM CDT
Episode 2 - Friday, October 19, 2012 @ 10:00 AM CDT
Episode 3 - Saturday, October 20, 2012 @ 10:00 AM CDT
Episode 4 onwards - Saturdays at 10:00 AM Central


I'm glad the issue was resolved but I won't be watching it until BDs (rips) come out.



I can only imagine this is how TheAncientOne felt when he brought up the issue and was ignored. (I mean no offense.)
53315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/17/12
First two episodes of Ebiten are up.
First  Prev  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.