Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Your thoughts on improving the human body with technology
Posted 7/2/12

-Vega- wrote:


alicia-m wrote:

I don't think it's moral nor is it ethical to be performing this type of practice. I'd rather not think about Drone Warfare. I am fine with my body.


-Vega- wrote:

I don't need any technology to improve my body. My genetic programming is already turning me into a being that is higher than most of you.




Sarcasm is a form of stupidity.



It was pretty funny to me so I don't know what you're talking about.
21156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 7/2/12

ZenZaku wrote:


Happencheese wrote:

Part of me thinks it would be cool, part of me things people would take it way too far. Plus I'm a bit concerned about the morality of it.


What morality issues do you see with it?


At the moment, I'm not too sure. I just feel like it would need some thinking through from that standpoint.
72422 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/2/12
It's the most logical way to go. Since we've effectively stopped evolution, the only other way for human beings to advance as a species is to use the one thing we're pretty good at, to make ourselves better.
Yeah, I know what I'm on about.
3489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Dreamscape
Offline
Posted 7/2/12

Happencheese wrote:


ZenZaku wrote:


Happencheese wrote:

Part of me thinks it would be cool, part of me things people would take it way too far. Plus I'm a bit concerned about the morality of it.


What morality issues do you see with it?


At the moment, I'm not too sure. I just feel like it would need some thinking through from that standpoint.


Are you thinking that if we go down the road of technological augmentation/improvement that at some point we'd effectively stop being human? If so then don't worry, it's called evolution. As a species we've kinda screwed it over so we must turn to technology to better adapt.
68536 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/12
maybe like microchips for detecting disease and such, other than that there really isnt a need
21156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 7/2/12

ZenZaku wrote:


Are you thinking that if we go down the road of technological augmentation/improvement that at some point we'd effectively stop being human? If so then don't worry, it's called evolution. As a species we've kinda screwed it over so we must turn to technology to better adapt.


The whole stopping being human thing is were I see a moral issue.
3489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Dreamscape
Offline
Posted 7/3/12

Happencheese wrote:


ZenZaku wrote:


Are you thinking that if we go down the road of technological augmentation/improvement that at some point we'd effectively stop being human? If so then don't worry, it's called evolution. As a species we've kinda screwed it over so we must turn to technology to better adapt.


The whole stopping being human thing is were I see a moral issue.


But you then also have to ask the question, "What makes me human?" Is it the physical body, hands, arms, legs, torso, head, eyes, ears, lungs, etc. Or is it the mental spiritual side, emotions, self awareness, a set of morals, etc. If it isn't the physical attributes that define us as homo sapiens then why can't we mess with our bodies to adapt and evolve to better survive against all dangers. Because even if our bodies are changed we are still human in mind and soul.
38190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 483 miles from "T...
Offline
Posted 7/3/12 , edited 7/3/12
Those that can pay will get the upgrades. Investing in yourself always pays dividends over your life time...or extended lifetime...

Just make sure you have the "Extended" warranty package...

What makes us human is our "Sentient" selves...the body is just a machine to house our souls of who we really are...
Banned
31580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / The Universal Con...
Offline
Posted 7/3/12

Bankshot wrote:

Those that can pay will get the upgrades. Investing in yourself always pays dividends over your life time...or extended lifetime...

Just make sure you have the "Extended" warranty package...

What makes us human is our "Sentient" selves...the body is just a machine to house our souls of who we really are...


I agree with the bold part.

21156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 7/3/12

ZenZaku wrote:

But you then also have to ask the question, "What makes me human?" Is it the physical body, hands, arms, legs, torso, head, eyes, ears, lungs, etc. Or is it the mental spiritual side, emotions, self awareness, a set of morals, etc. If it isn't the physical attributes that define us as homo sapiens then why can't we mess with our bodies to adapt and evolve to better survive against all dangers. Because even if our bodies are changed we are still human in mind and soul.


Yeah, like I said, it would take some thinking about. I'm not too sure where I stand as of yet.
Preyar 
37225 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Inside My Head
Offline
Posted 7/3/12
Brilliant
Posted 10/7/12
Sounds like that storyline to Deus Ex Human Revolution and we know things turned out well in that story.
18394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 10/7/12
Ooo, a thread on transhumanism (a formal word for this topic which maybe not all of you have heard of)

Personally I am not against it in the least bit but we've really got to ensure we don't lose our humanity in the process.

Anyway there's a series currently airing on youtube with one specific concept transhumanists have discussed, a BCI (brain computer interface) gone wrong called H+ (which acts as an ocular PDA/phone/whatever). Take a look for yourselves, interesting series.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HplusDigitalSeries
4427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 10/15/12
Why do humans always strive to become better in any needs must?
If this were to happen, i'd be a rebel.
35147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Sydney, Australia
Online
Posted 10/15/12
I'm fine with the technology. But I wouldn't do it myself because anything metal that is inserted into your body can be used against you... it's dangerous.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.