Remove this ad
First  Prev  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next  Last
Post Reply CR to Launch Streaming App on the PS3
18057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
I'm not a premium member yet (kinda waiting on if it's HD or not), so I can't tell. The app does mention "HD Quality" though, and the one sample I loaded definitely was not. And for those wondering, there's really not much you can do if you're not premium. There's just a few sample episodes, it's nothing like the free ad-supported version of the site.

On a side note, it's a REALLY slick app, much better than I expected frankly. Hope the video quality will match it.
21442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Monterrey Nuevo L...
Offline
Posted 7/31/12 , edited 7/31/12
I managed to load one episode of Campione and it definitely isn´t HD,im premium obviously..
40035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
The app on PS3 does not play anime in HD that disappoints me. I suppose I will have to stick with the direct site or watch it in hd on my Galaxy Nexus phone.
26012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/31/12 , edited 7/31/12
Now I am sure to the mods and admins we sound like a bunch of whiny little kids. We asked for a PS3 app, we got one. It wasn't exactly what we expected so we want to be angry and complain. How about instead of being little kids we be adults and ask them politely; Why can't the app stream in HD? Is it because of the lack of someone to code the streams for HD, or perhaps the less fortunate application that your licences won't allow you to stream HD in anything except for the PC?

Edit: Edited for spelling.
The Wise Wizard
67631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/31/12

AnimeFanChris wrote:

The app on PS3 does not play anime in HD that disappoints me. I suppose I will have to stick with the direct site or watch it in hd on my Galaxy Nexus phone.

At last report, Crunchyroll doesn't provide HD streams for their Android app, so I doubt you are actually getting HD there either.

AFAIK, the only device that CR supports that does HD (outside of a web browser on a PC) is the Boxee Box, and would be because it apparently uses the same Flash stream as a web browser for its app. (The Boxee Box is essentially a small Linux-based PC running on an Intel CPU).

21442 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Monterrey Nuevo L...
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
@zaku0083 I thought it was obvios that if we wanted an app for PS3 we wanted it to support HD every other app does so it is dissapointing that CR can´t.
23450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Indiana
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
Even though it's not in HD, I really enjoy the app. Slick interface, controls are nice, and it doesn't heave me with the hassle of having to plug my computer in to my TV if I want to legitly watch something.
Jikkle 
30141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
Not in HD but I will say 480p is surprisingly pretty watchable and the PS3 will probably become my primary Crunchyroll viewing device.

I believe it will come down to your personal viewing setup as well.

I have a 42" plasma TV, 5.1 surround sound, the PS3 wireless headset for do not disturb viewing, and the PS3 connected through ethernet so it does make for a more comfortable viewing experience than my tin can speakers and 23" computer monitor.

So my recommendation would be if you have a pretty nice setup with your PS3 and TV than give that route a try despite it being in 480p. If your setup isn't all that great than your best bet might be to stick with the HD on your computer. You get a free trail if you sign up through the PS3 anyways so no reason to not give it a try.

What I like:

-Interface is pretty slick and easy to use and navigate. Naruto Shippuden to use as an example you're able to skip through seasons by pressing (or holding) the L2/R2 button and you can get from the first episode to the last episode rather quickly.

What I don't like:

-Not in HD! 480p as I mentioned was surprisingly watchable but that's still no excuse to not have it in HD. If it's HD on the site than it should be in HD on the PS3 especially since it's an HD system.

-Bugs! I've already ran into quite a few and while testing it out. Naruto Shippuden episode 2 wouldn't play at all and when I tried the latest episode it was a blank screen with just audio and when I backed out and tried it again it crashed to the XMB.

-pretty minor but the streaming for me does skip a bit at the beginning of episodes. I haven't sat down and watched a full episode to see if it happens over the course of watching but seems like it shouldn't be there if I have my PS3 directly connected with an ethernet cable and it's only 480p content.

The Wise Wizard
67631 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/31/12

zaku0083 wrote:
How about instead of being little kids we be adults and ask them politely; Why can't the app stream in HD? Is it because of the lack of someone to code the streams for HD, or perhaps the less fortunate application that your licences won't allow you to stream HD in anything except for the PC?

While this could be a factor on portable devices (an iOS device can be easily jailbroken, and with Android, the OS is open source, the app stucture is more open, and many devices can be rooted), the PS3 is locked down. Frankly, if someone wanted to "rip" HD video, it would be far easier to do it on a PC than a PS3.

A bigger factor for no HD on Android and iOS it that there is a relatively small percentage of those devices that have a true HD screen (only the 2012 iPad on the iOS side, and a small number of recent phones and tablets on the Android side), and all of those have small screens.

By contrast, on the PS3, you have a device that is going to rarely be hooked up to an SD display, and typically is going to be attached to a relatively large screen.


Perhaps one reason people seem to be whining is because of CR's track record on providing HD on devices. Even the Roku, which like the PS3 is more often than not attached to an HDTV (although likely less often than a PS3), has not seen HD since it the CR app was added to it (in late 2010, as I recall). Basically, with no HD out of the gate, people would have reason to believe they will be waiting as long for HD as they did for a PS3 app.




dago2682 wrote:

@zaku0083 I thought it was obvios that if we wanted an app for PS3 we wanted it to support HD every other app does so it is dissapointing that CR can´t.

If you mean every other app on the PS3 does (as certainly every other CR app doesn't), then I believe you are wrong. As one example, I don't believe Sony's own Crackle service provides HD streams.

40035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 7/31/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


AnimeFanChris wrote:

The app on PS3 does not play anime in HD that disappoints me. I suppose I will have to stick with the direct site or watch it in hd on my Galaxy Nexus phone.

At last report, Crunchyroll doesn't provide HD streams for their Android app, so I doubt you are actually getting HD there either.

AFAIK, the only device that CR supports that does HD (outside of a web browser on a PC) is the Boxee Box, and would be because it apparently uses the same Flash stream as a web browser for its app. (The Boxee Box is essentially a small Linux-based PC running on an Intel CPU).



Weird the quality seems like HD on my Galaxy Nexus. It does not have an SD look at all though maybe they are just upscaling it much better on there. The artifacts are much too noticeable for me on my 42" 1080p television. I anticipate that they will make improvements with this app though like they have with the android app.
9314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
So far I've already had the PS3 crash while using the app, and some minor video lag. Also I really don't like how the implemented fast-forward/rewind
Jikkle 
30141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / SoCal
Offline
Posted 7/31/12 , edited 7/31/12

AnimeFanChris wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:


AnimeFanChris wrote:

The app on PS3 does not play anime in HD that disappoints me. I suppose I will have to stick with the direct site or watch it in hd on my Galaxy Nexus phone.

At last report, Crunchyroll doesn't provide HD streams for their Android app, so I doubt you are actually getting HD there either.

AFAIK, the only device that CR supports that does HD (outside of a web browser on a PC) is the Boxee Box, and would be because it apparently uses the same Flash stream as a web browser for its app. (The Boxee Box is essentially a small Linux-based PC running on an Intel CPU).



Weird the quality seems like HD on my Galaxy Nexus. It does not have an SD look at all though maybe they are just upscaling it much better on there. The artifacts are much too noticeable for me on my 42" 1080p television. I anticipate that they will make improvements with this app though like they have with the android app. :)


It probably seems like HD due to the small screen since the difference between 480p and 720p/1080p would be far less noticeable than it would be on a much bigger screen.

Out of curiosity is your PS3 connected wirelessly or directly connected through ethernet? I didn't really notice artifacts with what I watched and it was mainly a feeling the colors were more muted than more vibrant colors in HD. So I'm wondering if the quality of picture has to do with the strength of the connection.
69026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
So it's out??! Hell yes!
Not in HD? well that's a problem but i'm just grateful I can watch all my anime on the big screen now! Story, Characters, music and environment have always been more important than animation to me anyways and as long as the videodoesn't hinder that (For ex: not being able to see scenes and details properly) I'm a happy camper.

I bet if a lot of people use the app and ask nicely HD support will come soon enough.

The app is very smooth and easy to navigate as well.
34217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/31/12

AnimeFanChris wrote:

Weird the quality seems like HD on my Galaxy Nexus. It does not have an SD look at all though maybe they are just upscaling it much better on there. The artifacts are much too noticeable for me on my 42" 1080p television. I anticipate that they will make improvements with this app though like they have with the android app. :)


First of all no. The Galaxy Nexus is not HD. I have a Galaxy Nexus and the video quality is not HD.

Aside from that. I am very disappointed at the fact that since the app doesn't play the anime in HD is completly useless to me now until they support HD...
40035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 7/31/12

Jikkle wrote:


AnimeFanChris wrote:


TheAncientOne wrote:


AnimeFanChris wrote:

The app on PS3 does not play anime in HD that disappoints me. I suppose I will have to stick with the direct site or watch it in hd on my Galaxy Nexus phone.

At last report, Crunchyroll doesn't provide HD streams for their Android app, so I doubt you are actually getting HD there either.

AFAIK, the only device that CR supports that does HD (outside of a web browser on a PC) is the Boxee Box, and would be because it apparently uses the same Flash stream as a web browser for its app. (The Boxee Box is essentially a small Linux-based PC running on an Intel CPU).



Weird the quality seems like HD on my Galaxy Nexus. It does not have an SD look at all though maybe they are just upscaling it much better on there. The artifacts are much too noticeable for me on my 42" 1080p television. I anticipate that they will make improvements with this app though like they have with the android app. :)


It probably seems like HD due to the small screen since the difference between 480p and 720p/1080p would be far less noticeable than it would be on a much bigger screen.

Out of curiosity is your PS3 connected wirelessly or directly connected through ethernet? I didn't really notice artifacts with what I watched and it was mainly a feeling the colors were more muted than more vibrant colors in HD. So I'm wondering if the quality of picture has to do with the strength of the connection.


My PS3 directly connected with Ethernet and what I really noticed was the jaggy edges etc a trademark of 480p since I only watched a little of a recent Bleach episode to test it. That's true the screen is much smaller but it "appears" much better resolution-wise than my Motorola Atrix, which is a smaller phone and lower resolution. Though of course I have no tool to measure what the actual resolution of crunchyroll video on the app either way and the app page on the google play store does not mention HD playback.

First  Prev  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.