Remove this ad
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
So, I Can't Play H! Discussions
43317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/28/12
Another fun episode! For all the fanservice it seems there is even a story lurking underneath.

Yes, sadly season gets the originals a week earlier and you can even see what's going on. The version Crunchyroll has licensed has horrible censorship which blacks out the whole thing... I watch the Crunchyroll version too, just to ensure that they get paid in case it is views they go by. Honesty the subs are not great in either case, the magic words are just silly.
The Wise Wizard
67695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 7/28/12

nitedewfairy wrote:

I like this series since it's funny, but the censoring is a little too extreme, what happened to the fogginess? Now it is all blacked out, so of course I rewatched the episodes on another website but CR is really disappointing me. They should do an 18 or over restriction for Premium members to just view anime like this one totally uncut. I mean, we are paying to watch this! Why torture us?

I'll wager if you go into your Video Preferences and change to setting to "Hide Mature Content" that this series will not be accessible (meaning it is already denied to persons with no listed birth date or one indicating an age under 18).

The reason for the censorship is that even if CR could get the uncensored version that airs on AT-X, it would cost more. AT-X costs the equivalent of about $23 per month. So the question is, how much would you want to pay per month for CR to get these series uncensored?

43317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/28/12 , edited 7/28/12
I have said it before: I would absolutely pay more for a super premium membership.

The trouble is that the whole point of the show is that Lisara derives her power from Ryousuke's ecchi nature. She destroys her clothes before each fight to get into her costume which is ruined every time, exposing her and causing huge swaths of censorship for the remainder of the show as it is seemingly difficult to cover up two silver dollars worth of skin for many frames in a row. There really isn't much point in watching this show censored, it would be like trying to put risquee cable shows on major networks.
29356 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Floating by.....s...
Offline
Posted 7/28/12
I would have to agree with hpulley too the censorship is on the extreme side just because 3/4 of the screen is black when minimal censorship is required yet at the same time, we have an awesome show so far just with an exceptional amount of blacking out lol
But there are other places to watch so CR might not have as many views for this show unfortunately.
I will say though, having a power the derives from being a pervert is kinda cool
43317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/28/12
Actually, as well as giving the show views by watching it here it is interesting to see just how much gets blacked out... In this show they need to black out parts of the opening and ending credits
The Wise Wizard
67695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 7/28/12

hpulley wrote:

I have said it before: I would absolutely pay more for a super premium membership.

The question is, would enough other people do the same? If enough people at least raised that possibility with CR, I expect they would at least consider it.

Frankly, I can't say that I would, given that most series such as this one would wind up being licensed by Funimation or Sentai down the road, with the uncensored version being posted on their website. Of course, for anyone outside the U.S. or Canada, obviously that isn't a comforting option, but it would be my reason for not paying perhaps 3 times as much for a super premium membership.

Sadly, I suspect if CR ran a survey that asked, "How much would you be willing to pay per month to see most series uncensored?", the results would probably taper off quickly after the $10 per month mark, which I doubt would be close to sufficient.

43317 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/28/12 , edited 7/28/12

TheAncientOne wrote:


hpulley wrote:

I have said it before: I would absolutely pay more for a super premium membership.

The question is, would enough other people do the same? If enough people at least raised that possibility with CR, I expect they would at least consider it.

Frankly, I can't say that I would, given that most series such as this one would wind up being licensed by Funimation or Sentai down the road, with the uncensored version being posted on their website. Of course, for anyone outside the U.S. or Canada, obviously that isn't a comforting option, but it would be my reason for not paying perhaps 3 times as much for a super premium membership.

Sadly, I suspect if CR ran a survey that asked, "How much would you be willing to pay per month to see most series uncensored?", the results would probably taper off quickly after the $10 per month mark, which I doubt would be close to sufficient.



I don't know enough about the membership to say for sure but you are probably right. In this case they are also a week earlier through the pay channel though I note that this series is NOT a week early for subscribers here on Crunchyroll, episode three is new here for all today.

Not everything is censored here, just some stuff depending on how they end up licensing it. In this case the pay channel has the original works. I am not suggesting a different membership just for access to uncensored versions or to censor series that are not censored now.

Episode three was not so bad censored. You could tell what was happening at least! They used stripes instead of covering most of the frame. They used light spots in the opening credits and gave up on the closing ones LOL

Funimation... Don't really need more subscriptions... Bizarre that dubs of some series with voice actors would be free while subs would be more expensive but it has been that way for decades with anime. I always bought the subbed edition when I could. Now I would rather stream it than collect DVDs.
44721 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / at my computer/in...
Offline
Posted 7/31/12
I at least would just like that they use the fogging censorship other than the blanking out of the whole screen, just like in other shows such as "Queen's Blade Rebellion" and "Listen to me Girls, I am Your Father!" I admit I have seen the series on another site and just watched the series here again just to get the series the viewing credits in a way since I spent money on my membership.
On the money part, I do pay more on Netflix so I don't mind spending $8 a month if it gives me legit subtitles and great video quality and no censorship on the shows.
((FYI: However I got college fees to pay off this coming semester so I put my membership on here and Netflix on hold for a month or two.))
The Wise Wizard
67695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 8/1/12

nitedewfairy wrote:
On the money part, I do pay more on Netflix so I don't mind spending $8 a month if it gives me legit subtitles and great video quality and no censorship on the shows.

Keep in mind that censorship doesn't enter the picture with Netflix because they get the DVD/BD versions of shows for streaming well after they have aired in Japan. The library titles here at CR (the first two Queen's Blade series, as an example) aren't censored because they were licensed from the DVD distributor.

Likewise, at TAN, when Sentai dubs a series and posts they post it, that is the same uncensored version as on DVD or BD, yet if it was originally posted as a simulcast they don't go back and update that with an uncensored sub version.

At Funimation's site, it works in a similar fashion, although they do sometimes update the subbed version of a simulcast title with a uncensored version (Freezing, for example), but apparently only for paid subscribers. (I learned that when I pointed out to someone that Freezing was now uncensored, but when they checked it out again, stated it still was. Unfortunately, I couldn't check it out myself as it would have required creating an additional account, since the video required it for age verification).
25014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / DFW
Offline
Posted 8/1/12

TheAncientOne wrote:
Keep in mind that censorship doesn't enter the picture with Netflix because they get the DVD/BD versions of shows for streaming well after they have aired in Japan. The library titles here at CR (the first two Queen's Blade series, as an example) aren't censored because they were licensed from the DVD distributor.

So in other words, is the content available limited to the license CR gets? Do they ever update licenses to get DVD/BR versions of existing titles? Cause if they don't, I see little reason to keep my subscription if I'm not getting the version/quality I desire. Simulcasting is of no benifit to me when I can't see half the action due to black triangles and bars.
The Wise Wizard
67695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 8/1/12

mukybear wrote:
So in other words, is the content available limited to the license CR gets? Do they ever update licenses to get DVD/BR versions of existing titles? Cause if they don't, I see little reason to keep my subscription if I'm not getting the version/quality I desire. Simulcasting is of no benifit to me when I can't see half the action due to black triangles and bars.

I can't think of a single case where CR has later gotten the DVD/BD version of a series originally acquired as a simulcast.

Keep in mind many series here don't have an issue with censorship, as there is little to nothing to censor (and some series that do are more subtle about it). Before So I Can't Play H?, the last series I can recall getting slammed for overbearing censorship was R-15 (which didn't seem to be as popular with viewers) back in summer 2011.

25014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / DFW
Offline
Posted 8/1/12 , edited 8/1/12
That's dissapointing to hear of this series and the rest of the CR content. Sure wanted an alternative to having to buy DVDs constantly but it doesn't seem like that's possible. It's not so much that censoring in general bothers me, it's just the extent this series has. That, and sometimes a DVD/BR version has upgraded, uncensored animation. Which is why I can't justify paying for what I view as lower quality service, especially with a limited library of licensed anime.

I'd rather pay for quality than simulcasting.

Edit: Just wanted to be clear of one thing. What I meant by "lower quality" is TV broadcasted anime, which many times has lower animation quality compared to DVD/BR versions, censorship, or for-tv edits. If I am to spend any money, I prefer to watch anime the way it's intended by the maker of that anime. I by no means imply that Crunchyroll has a sub-standard service and understand their limits with what and how they acquire what they can show. It just comes to my realization that the service is not meant for me and hope CR does flourish so that one day I can say it is what I was looking for once again.
The Wise Wizard
67695 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M / U.S.A.
Online
Posted 8/1/12

mukybear wrote:

That's dissapointing to hear of this series and the rest of the CR content. Sure wanted an alternative to having to buy DVDs constantly but it doesn't seem like that's possible. It's not so much that censoring in general bothers me, it's just the extent this series has. That, and sometimes a DVD/BR version has upgraded, uncensored animation. Which is why I can't justify paying for what I view as lower quality service, especially with a limited library of licensed anime.

I'd rather pay for quality than simulcasting.

Given that, you would probably be more satisfied with a service like Funimation's Elite Video Subscription or a lesser extent, The Anime Network. (I say lesser extent for TAN since if they have an anime that gets dubbed, they don't update the subbed version on their site to the uncensored version, whereas Funimation will for paid members).

As an example, if you were to watch High School DxD there now, you would still get the censored version (as they acquired it as a simulcast), but either sometime before the DVD/BD release or shortly after (seems to depend on the series) they would replace that with the DVD/BD version for paid subscribers, and of course the same would be true for the dub.

They have had the uncensored version of Freezing for paid members for a few months now, but as I saw it as a simulcast, I'm waiting for the dub to go up near the end of the month so I can kill two birds with one stone.

25014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / DFW
Offline
Posted 8/1/12 , edited 8/1/12
This will be my last post because it's derailing from the topic at hand, lol. And I tyvm for the info.

I'll look into it but already irks me due to it being the same quandry of having to choose between Netflix and Hulu. That and the fact that CR felt more neutral since they weren't a home video distributor/producer prior to their online services, to my knowledge, similar to Netflix. But having to choose between both services when both have content I want that the other doesn't have frustrates me

Makes me wish there was just 1 streaming service that had everything instead of paying for a handful.
122174 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Anime World
Offline
Posted 8/3/12
Episode 5



Title of the episode fits quite well as Ryosuke begins his training with his "invisible dictionary".

Also, it does seem that Quele is holding some affections for Ryosuke now while Lisara continues her search for high-value target but getting frustrated by the lack of progress.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.