First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Are Asians who are new to America scared of black people?
Posted 7/8/12

kajisawa wrote:


marcel20 wrote:

I have noticed that some Japanese and other Asian races (sorry I don't want to say every one) that are kinda new to America are much more how can I say apprehensive of my presence especially when I walk by them or sit next to them on a train or bus. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that they hate black people of something that harsh, I'm just honestly asking If in most Asian countries there are no black people or if there is something taught that might make them scared or maybe even my height and size?


Studies conducted that majority of Asian people fear the colour tone of black in general. Asian cultures like China takes the colour black as a symbol death and mourn. Thus, they discourage mostly people wearing black. Sighted example, if there's a birthday and other special occasions one is invited to attend, one must wear a festive and vibrant colour. Wearing black may give the wrong impression. Black have been connoted to some of the negative attributes in the society to name a few, black magic, black knight, black death, black water, black Saturday often times figuratively aligns it self to negativity. In nature of being human, the black seems to be the unknown. Night time, is most feared time by humans for we can not see properly and we believe that the absence of sunlight dark creature roams around mostly in stories like ghost, demons take a look of the one mammal that feast at night and have been feared for the wrong side of it's nature the BATS. Most the same in dogs. If you have a white doberman most like to see it roaming and feel it is harmless and cute. In the contrary, if you have a black doberman majority stay away from it.

It's a social stigma that black is feared much more if it's black or dark people. To add to it Hip hop or Hollywood contributed to another downgrade factors of it like most of the gang or bad wild people they portrayed it as black people saying fucking and shitty foul words. One can say that Hollywood have a bigger impact on the planet than Jesus it self





Yes the media does play it's role in such a situation, LoL yet the Hollywood to j\Jesus part was surprising. Great metaphor.
Posted 7/8/12 , edited 7/8/12

Kuro_Kiri wrote:


marcel20 wrote:

Well I'm a 5'11 and 195lbs -Very athletic Black Male. I am very nice, Handsome and approachable I think and I've noticed that of course some people of any race would fear me a little I have an imposing figure, but I have noticed that some Japanese and other Asian races (sorry I don't want to say every one) that are kinda new to America are much more how can I say apprehensive of my presence especially when I walk by them or sit next to them on a train or bus. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that they hate black people of something that harsh, I'm just honestly asking If in most Asian countries there are no black people or if there is something taught that might make them scared or maybe even my height and size? If anyone might know something I would appreciate it a lot . I have Asian friends and dated 2 Asian girls in my life time. I like people of all cultures and backgrounds.


Let me ask, are you specifically looking to date an Asian girl?

Because once you're tagged as an American with an "Asian girl fetish" this might be the reason they shy away from you. Also, at least out of the dozens of Japanese friends I have they seem to think blacks are too pushy. But then you'd also have to understand that back in Japan the only blacks they really ever see are Nigerian immigrants (aw, lets face it they're the illegal aliens of Japan) who always want to scam people.


Well I do like women who are Asian a little more than other races, but its just a preference and not a necessity basically I'm an equal opportunity dater. I don't have any problems with dating women of any race( not trying to be arrogant or anything like that) especially Asian women because I'm a "nice guy" and that seems to work well with Asian women, but I am talking more about just being next to of walking by some one who is just obviously uncomfortable with my presence be it male or female.
3686 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Spain
Offline
Posted 7/8/12 , edited 7/8/12

Speed_CA wrote:

From my experiences, the preconceived beliefs, and/or reactions that some Asians have towards Black people is just old culture. They likely did not grow up knowing Black people, and so act in the way they were taught by their parents/culture/society. To understand this better here's some little known history. Christians (Spaniards) fought the North African Islamic for control of what is now Spain, which they won in 1492. Before this, during Roman times it didn't matter what color your skin was, only if you were a Roman citizen. After the Spaniards beat the North Africans, the Spaniards kicked out all Africans from Spain, so nobody in Spain wanted to be Black, or even know Black people. Then a couple of months later Christopher Columbus found the "New World" as well as taking the idea that dark skin is a negative with him. Fast forward to "New Spain" (Mexico). The natives were dying off. Africans were brought over to be slaves. Since Black people were slaves, and the slave owners were light skinned, the idea that light skin is better then dark skin developed in this society. This idea that Black people are slaves, was taken to the thirteen colonies which became slavery in America. The idea that light skin is better then dark came from this time in history, but as we know now it's a false idea, that thankfully is fading as we move into the future.


What you say about Spain is correct but the north african pals are people from Morocco or Tunisia. They´re not black. What Spaniards do with Spain is to reconquer their country. Because muslims invaded them...
41494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/12 , edited 7/8/12
I'm not sure what to make of this thread since I can't really imagine Asians being any more or less "afraid" of you than anyone else, so here's a harp seal pup wearing a Santa hat.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oNwkHngKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Posted 7/8/12 , edited 7/8/12

Dspokes wrote:


DAlainm wrote:

Well y'know, people are afraid of what they don't understand. And as others have already pointed out, black people aren't exactly portrayed in a positive light in social media.



Any reason why they are not portrayed in a positive light? You know how it is...


Media* is what meant I to say, not social media. Anyway, that's an essay question you're asking. Forget what I said in that last sentence. Besides it's pretty controversial and not well-researched. I posted shortly after I woke up this afternoon (it's a Sunday after all ).
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 7/8/12

marcel20 wrote:


AshRandom wrote:

Makes me think of that Black herbal toothpaste commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y7eg0REXZM


lol yea, but i'm much better looking than that guy ;)


And modest.
1208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
You sound like a great guy, Marcel20! Sadly, people stereotype and assume before actually getting to know someone.
I went to a high school a high school of 90% black and everyone felt bad for me. I asked "Why? They're not bad people".
Best school I went to in my life, tbh. :)

I don't know if people are just racist or something else...
But, they may just feel intimidated? :o
Don't let it bother ya' too much. :)

Oh, and I agree with Lippedlove
And Rotisserie' story is wonderful.

82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
For an alternate take on this, maybe the apprehension is about something other than your skin color or even your height/build. Or maybe you are seeing apprehension where there is none. It is not the easiest thing to interpret a persons body language, especially that of a strangers. But people tend to interpret what they want and assume what another person is thinking based on it. There could be any number of reasons why someone could look or act a certain way when you sit next to them on a bus or train (or any other situation). It may not even have to do to with you, but could be their own concern. A person could be claustrophobic, agoraphobic (fear of crowds), antisocial, or concerned about their body odor. They could have issues with proximity to others (personal space issues). They could be displaying a look for a completely unrelated reason that means something completely different to them, but that you see as apprehension.
36 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Johannesburg, Sou...
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
Who gives a damn what other people think of you? And stop generalizing the Asians. Jesus, Mary and jo-jo the carpenter...
611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/8/12

marcel20 wrote:


Kuro_Kiri wrote:


marcel20 wrote:

Well I'm a 5'11 and 195lbs -Very athletic Black Male. I am very nice, Handsome and approachable I think and I've noticed that of course some people of any race would fear me a little I have an imposing figure, but I have noticed that some Japanese and other Asian races (sorry I don't want to say every one) that are kinda new to America are much more how can I say apprehensive of my presence especially when I walk by them or sit next to them on a train or bus. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that they hate black people of something that harsh, I'm just honestly asking If in most Asian countries there are no black people or if there is something taught that might make them scared or maybe even my height and size? If anyone might know something I would appreciate it a lot . I have Asian friends and dated 2 Asian girls in my life time. I like people of all cultures and backgrounds.


Let me ask, are you specifically looking to date an Asian girl?

Because once you're tagged as an American with an "Asian girl fetish" this might be the reason they shy away from you. Also, at least out of the dozens of Japanese friends I have they seem to think blacks are too pushy. But then you'd also have to understand that back in Japan the only blacks they really ever see are Nigerian immigrants (aw, lets face it they're the illegal aliens of Japan) who always want to scam people.


Well I do like women who are Asian a little more than other races, but its just a preference and not a necessity basically I'm an equal opportunity dater. I don't have any problems with dating women of any race( not trying to be arrogant or anything like that) especially Asian women because I'm a "nice guy" and that seems to work well with Asian women, but I am talking more about just being next to of walking by some one who is just obviously uncomfortable with my presence be it male or female.


A "little more" could be totally obvious to the girl, and I'm really only passing on something I've heard about the topic. There's also this idea I've developed based on a friend of mine's experience, the concept of "polite anger". She's an attractive woman, very mannered and extremely nice. Occasionally she comes across a guy who is too aggressive or too forward even though they think of themselves as a "nice guy" too (just a general statement, not aimed specifically at you) but they annoyed her to the point where she would politely brush them off but quietly to herself she's cursing them out. And it's not just her, it's a trait I've seen in many Japanese women and some Taiwanese and Korean ones too. Sort of a defense mechanism, and not to defend the fact that the person may be black but one to defend against the barrage of "nice guys" who view them as whores.

What Japanese girls like, and I know this from experience, is that you let them approach you. Allow them to make conversation and it goes a lot further than shameless flirting, cause they can flirt right back with absolutely no potential for sex associated with it.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 7/8/12

kajisawa wrote:


marcel20 wrote:

I have noticed that some Japanese and other Asian races (sorry I don't want to say every one) that are kinda new to America are much more how can I say apprehensive of my presence especially when I walk by them or sit next to them on a train or bus. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that they hate black people of something that harsh, I'm just honestly asking If in most Asian countries there are no black people or if there is something taught that might make them scared or maybe even my height and size?


Studies conducted that majority of Asian people fear the colour tone of black in general. Asian cultures like China takes the colour black as a symbol death and mourn. Thus, they discourage mostly people wearing black. Sighted example, if there's a birthday and other special occasions one is invited to attend, one must wear a festive and vibrant colour. Wearing black may give the wrong impression. Black have been connoted to some of the negative attributes in the society to name a few, black magic, black knight, black death, black water, black Saturday often times figuratively aligns it self to negativity. In nature of being human, the black seems to be the unknown. Night time, is most feared time by humans for we can not see properly and we believe that the absence of sunlight dark creature roams around mostly in stories like ghost, demons take a look of the one mammal that feast at night and have been feared for the wrong side of it's nature the BATS. Most the same in dogs. If you have a white doberman most like to see it roaming and feel it is harmless and cute. In the contrary, if you have a black doberman majority stay away from it.

It's a social stigma that black is feared much more if it's black or dark people. To add to it Hip hop or Hollywood contributed to another downgrade factors of it like most of the gang or bad wild people they portrayed it as black people saying fucking and shitty foul words. One can say that Hollywood have a bigger impact on the planet than Jesus it self





Although the case can be made for these factors, I think it bears mentioning that there have been studies done on infantile response which point to an even deeper root factor. They found that a vast number of stress responses increased, most notably blood pressure, when a black nurse would come in and change them as compared to a white nurse, or even a black woman with a lighter skin tone. It should be noted that the infantile response group was uniform -- in other words even black babies responded that way.

Furthermore, infantile responses to hair color fell into the same exact pattern. Lighter colored hair tones, blonde, white, silver, grey, etc, were responded to with the least stress. Black hair with the most stress.

The conclusion was that as primates, we're conditioned to respond with fear to adults with dark hair / skin tone. This may have been the result of the natural dynamic between infants and young adults within a primate troop. Young adults are highly sexually active and thus an enormous threat to infants (as rogue males always are among all mammalian groups). Killing a mother's baby makes her receptive to mating, so infanticide is extremely common.

The elders among the troop have aged and with age their hair naturally turns white (or silver), but the youth still have their dark black coats of hair. This is where the big issue pops up among primates, within many primate families it was originally noted that it seemed the oldest apes were relegated to taking care of the babies while the crazy teenagers partied. In fact this was not the case, it's the exact opposite. The elders can actually be witnessed stealing the young away from their mothers by force and then fighting them off savagely if they try to take them back. Why this is, is unknown, but in the words of Jane Goodall: "Perhaps it's jealousy, perhaps it's wisdom."

So, we come from a family tree where we're used to being raised by our white-haired grandparents and used to being terrified of the black haired adults running around. The resulting trust issues with dark complexions and dark hair remains to this day and is seen within our own human family with the universal preference for blondes and the universal stress response to those with black hair and black skin tones.

...That said, we all grow up eventually, and the vast amount of negative reinforcement and negative imagery supplied by Hollywood and world media does nothing to reassure people. Still, the question remains, how did such extreme prejudice against dark men form thousands of years before Hollywood and world media, much less the printing press, even existed? I think the studies into infantile response and primate family dynamics is a strong indication as to the source of our fears. I only hope that one day we can actually overcome our bad programming and end the suffering.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
Simon's the coolest Japanese Russian black guy ever!!!

4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
Also, my uncle is Japanese and he admits that he is scared of black people. One day when he comes to America, I will invite every black person I know to my house.
Posted 7/8/12

Kuro_Kiri wrote:


marcel20 wrote:


Kuro_Kiri wrote:


marcel20 wrote:

Well I'm a 5'11 and 195lbs -Very athletic Black Male. I am very nice, Handsome and approachable I think and I've noticed that of course some people of any race would fear me a little I have an imposing figure, but I have noticed that some Japanese and other Asian races (sorry I don't want to say every one) that are kinda new to America are much more how can I say apprehensive of my presence especially when I walk by them or sit next to them on a train or bus. Don't get me wrong I am in no way saying that they hate black people of something that harsh, I'm just honestly asking If in most Asian countries there are no black people or if there is something taught that might make them scared or maybe even my height and size? If anyone might know something I would appreciate it a lot . I have Asian friends and dated 2 Asian girls in my life time. I like people of all cultures and backgrounds.


Let me ask, are you specifically looking to date an Asian girl?

Because once you're tagged as an American with an "Asian girl fetish" this might be the reason they shy away from you. Also, at least out of the dozens of Japanese friends I have they seem to think blacks are too pushy. But then you'd also have to understand that back in Japan the only blacks they really ever see are Nigerian immigrants (aw, lets face it they're the illegal aliens of Japan) who always want to scam people.


Well I do like women who are Asian a little more than other races, but its just a preference and not a necessity basically I'm an equal opportunity dater. I don't have any problems with dating women of any race( not trying to be arrogant or anything like that) especially Asian women because I'm a "nice guy" and that seems to work well with Asian women, but I am talking more about just being next to of walking by some one who is just obviously uncomfortable with my presence be it male or female.


A "little more" could be totally obvious to the girl, and I'm really only passing on something I've heard about the topic. There's also this idea I've developed based on a friend of mine's experience, the concept of "polite anger". She's an attractive woman, very mannered and extremely nice. Occasionally she comes across a guy who is too aggressive or too forward even though they think of themselves as a "nice guy" too (just a general statement, not aimed specifically at you) but they annoyed her to the point where she would politely brush them off but quietly to herself she's cursing them out. And it's not just her, it's a trait I've seen in many Japanese women and some Taiwanese and Korean ones too. Sort of a defense mechanism, and not to defend the fact that the person may be black but one to defend against the barrage of "nice guys" who view them as whores.

What Japanese girls like, and I know this from experience, is that you let them approach you. Allow them to make conversation and it goes a lot further than shameless flirting, cause they can flirt right back with absolutely no potential for sex associated with it.


I have an ability to tell when a girl is being nice or flirting most of the time and with Japanese women I agree it is the hardest to tell....one has to be very careful in flirting with women who are so hard to read. I usually wait for a woman to show interest in me first before I make any move, that way I wont come off as an aggressor or face rejection LoL trust me I do my home work about the nice cultural set up of japan or any country for that matter, yet you have gave me more material to note thank you for your info. For my original question there would be only 5% of it to do with the dating factor...it's mostly me wanting to understand the reactions I get on a almost daily basis.
17818 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / bloomington, IL
Offline
Posted 7/8/12
im mixed (white and black) and i have an asian friends hes pretty kool and we always talk to eachother i thinks its becaue i grew up with the white side of my family so i act way white and i dont act like a "gangster" unless im joking around lol. i think they might just be nervous being to new here and all i cant really say but i dont think there scared
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.