First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why most people want to be slaves?
Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12

funnyginsan wrote:

They don't eat junk food, take any stimulants and try and stay away from pills or "big pharma". I sometimes eat like crap, drink coffee and pop an ibuprofen at the first sign of headache. Eating like crap is bad for all sorts of organs including the heart and the bowels. Drinking coffee in moderation isn't necessarily bad for you but now I HAVE to drink it to wake up. Ipuprofen has been shown to be bad for your liver when taken too much. http://www.ehow.com/about_5108779_ibuprofen-cause-liver-damage.html

They are usually more aware of environmental concerns like global warming, recycling, animal extinction and toxic waste. Yes, I am aware of global warming and I do recycle but I doubt my power consumption would be less than this stereotypical hippie (who I may or may not know )

So just because I am an agnostic and see a lot more logical conclusions to the world than the hippie I am in fact more of a slave. Let's not even take it to the "Mother Earth is god" level but put it at spirituality. Would a spiritual person who believes in an unknown god necessarily be more of a slave than me? I would have to know the person and see how he/she lives his or her life. Since "freedom" to me seems to be a relative construct I don't see how you could make a broad sweeping statement sucking in everyone who finds some sort of religious/spiritual solace in their lives.

It's a bit hard for me to relate to this since you went into specifics of morality and actions. This is a really nice post and I enjoyed reading it, but what I was observing was what it really means to believe in a god. Why do they believe it? Maybe it's instinctive, or genetic i don't know, but there is certainly something that humans want from a god...I'm not talking about how it effects their actions or how they live..it's about desire, and I used the word slave to describe this desire.....It's not logical it's describable, I'm just asking why..

Don't get me wrong, I am agnostic in a way that I can't disprove a god...but why do people care for one? It's personal opinion of course, but so many people believe in one and never ask why.

There is no logic in believing with no evidence just because it fills a hole.
65911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / F / Atlanta GA
Offline
Posted 7/12/12
I found most people have a need for a higher power God, Government but when you mix the to you will find the worst traits of both. Islam as a theocracy, and communist have a long history of violence like on other group in the modern area. Most other that need to believe in a higher power give them strong, to hang on to life and a magical mystery tour for them self to go to if there good. I am the person that will say yes if some calls for God. When people say God will bless you I answer back Why should I. there so many variations of this i have fun with. I am an atheist but I understand the needs of those who need to believe in god. another ten commandments do not bother me in a court house--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Government slavery is were the government can use a gun to tell you what to do. If you do not compile with there demands prison even death. I consider people that think this a good form of government a week (heck a wast of skin) communist same thing jealous sniveling scum. I am repulsed by the ideal of slavery in the literal word and i am to lazy to even what to deal with it.
Posted 7/12/12

tarakelly wrote:

I found most people have a need for a higher power God, Government but when you mix the to you will find the worst traits of both. Islam as a theocracy, and communist have a long history of violence like on other group in the modern area. Most other that need to believe in a higher power give them strong, to hang on to life and a magical mystery tour for them self to go to if there good. I am the person that will say yes if some calls for God. When people say God will bless you I answer back Why should I. there so many variations of this i have fun with. I am an atheist but I understand the needs of those who need to believe in god. another ten commandments do not bother me in a court house--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Government slavery is were the government can use a gun to tell you what to do. If you do not compile with there demands prison even death. I consider people that think this a good form of government a week (heck a wast of skin) communist same thing jealous sniveling scum. I am repulsed by the ideal of slavery in the literal word and i am to lazy to even what to deal with it.


Islam is going to have a bad time, no doubt about that..
Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12

seekerperson7 wrote:



So, to some, it really isn't an issue of "we don't know, therefore, lets find out.' It's, "I've found out, here's why. What is your counterpoint?"

To those who don't think they know (ie who don't fall into either camp), well, I suppose they are the ones who are most intently listening to the debates lol.

Oh, and then there are those who say the answer is unknowable. They have supports to. They always provide the most interesting conversations. I enjoy discussing these kinds of things. I find it fascinating to see how other's think. But i'm not very articulate in a forum lol.


I really like "We don't know, therefore, lets find out." (to the best of our knowledge)

Thanks for your input
54057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 7/12/12
Easy way to find out if there is a God. Ask God.

If He is there then He will answer. If He is not there then He won't.

If you find out He is there, what will you do? Will knowing change the way you live? Will you then seek to find out more about God and His desire for you?Or will you ignoar him and just do what you want?

If the latter why bother asking? And if it is the latter and the Bible is true you probably won't get an answer

James 4:3

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

So apparently the way to get an answer is to ask Him and be prepared to do something about it.

I personally know that God does exist and that he does answer.

http://www.mormon.org
56797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / Floating on a che...
Offline
Posted 7/12/12

aew782 wrote:

Don't be offended PLEASE, these are just the last questions I've come to.

Why do people want a god/big brother/perfection so bad? To be mind slaves? to give them meaning? to guide them? Are we really that confused of a species?...I don't get it, it's pathetic how people pray and worship something that's invisible, it's just something that they want. Every other religion it's the same thing over and over...........

That's just it, why would you want a god?

I recently watched Ergo Proxy and I kept looking at it's idea of obedience to masters, I did not enjoy the ending, however the parts I did enjoy was it's play with philosophy (And the music of course). Some quotes..

The creator thinks therefore we are
- We are just as flawed as the creator who created us, So there is probably an even more perfect creator or none at all.

We think therefore we are - Liberation? Awakening?

Why do we exist who can ease our loneliness? -Are we really that lonely?


Why do people feel they have to be a slave to something perfect in order to have meaning,? We are not stupid we CAN think. I recently became an atheist, I'm tired of god...to me it's just an idea from ignorance of the unknown.

The picture that inspired me to make this post...





Not everyone want's to be a slave. Having a God does not mean that you want to be/are a slave but It is a choice because people know we were created, we know that there is something higher than us out here. Life is not just about what you see (it's not about you) but it is about what goes on in the world and all of the mysteries and wonderful things that happen to people.

The bad things as well, that are not just caused by people. From there you can know that there is a God, everyone is just trying to find him but I know the true God, I worship him, not because I want to be a slave but he deserves our praise. I pray to him because I'm big enough to admit that I'm not perfect and I need him, I love him because he is my heavenly father!

Let me tell you something, whether you read this or not; this is simple, an old trick in the book... Majority Rules! The majority of people know that a God does exist and they're trying to find him! There is only one religion/ one God, I know that he is God because I've seen all of the other religions but I found God in this one.

Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12

Cher4ri420 wrote:



Not everyone want's to be a slave. Having a God does not mean that you want to be/are a slave but It is a choice because people know we were created, we know that there is something higher than us out here. Life is not just about what you see (it's not about you) but it is about what goes on in the world and all of the mysteries and wonderful things that happen to people.

The bad things as well, that are not just caused by people. From there you can know that there is a God, everyone is just trying to find him but I know the true God, I worship him, not because I want to be a slave but he deserves our praise. I pray to him because I'm big enough to admit that I'm not perfect and I need him, I love him because he is my heavenly father!

Let me tell you something, whether you read this or not; this is simple, an old trick in the book... Majority Rules! The majority of people know that a God does exist and they're trying to find him! There is only one religion/ one God, I know that he is God because I've seen all of the other religions but I found God in this one.



Majority rules, how can you say that!!? A majority once believed the earth wasn't round, a majority once degraded people because of the color of their skin, a majority burned "witches".....so much incorrectness in your statements it's ridiculous, I'm sorry.

And yes your bible and your god CLEARLY depicts you a slave, it also tell people they are worthless sinners....And no we are not created by a judo-christan god if your calling trying to call the biblical stories true. {This is not opinion}

You probably don't believe me, but that bible is horrific, it has some nice poetry though..http://www.evilbible.com/Evil%20Bible%20Quotes.htm


You say heavenly father, so I assume you are a christian..
19214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/12/12


I find it amusing you call it horrific think of it from this prospective. There is a murder/rapist/ect (sinner) who has committed some crime (evil) so the government (god) imprisons and/or executes (insert any punishment from exile to hell) so when you think of it in these terms how is it any different from what any government does just change a few words here and there and you can liken any government to any religion.
68845 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / St. Louis, Misery
Offline
Posted 7/12/12
Watch Kids on the Slope... "God" helped Sentaro cope with his choices and decisions and not go completely insane. So what if someone wants to believe in something higher than his/herself. I personally do not find a need in my life for "God", therefore i do not believe in "God". Some peoples situations differ from yours, they find the need for God to cope with things in there life... Its like when children have imaginary friends that they can tell things to just to avoid bottling up all their pent up emotions.


The Religious zealots (Taliban, Al Qaeda, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.) are just nutjobs.
Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12

immitis wrote:



I find it amusing you call it horrific think of it from this prospective. There is a murder/rapist/ect (sinner) who has committed some crime (evil) so the government (god) imprisons and/or executes (insert any punishment from exile to hell) so when you think of it in these terms how is it any different from what any government does just change a few words here and there and you can liken any government to any religion.


What are you even talking about? and even if I did know what your talking about I don't believe archetypal groups govern people, it's obviously more complicated than good and evil. You know it too, a man can "sin"(like you say) all his life kill people and shit...then he can be forgiven for all of it by mumbling a few words. If you could leave religion out of this it would be nice...
6465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
116 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/12

immitis wrote:



I find it amusing you call it horrific think of it from this prospective. There is a murder/rapist/ect (sinner) who has committed some crime (evil) so the government (god) imprisons and/or executes (insert any punishment from exile to hell) so when you think of it in these terms how is it any different from what any government does just change a few words here and there and you can liken any government to any religion.

Or you can just call it common sense among a proper society. What you just did was try to justify all of your radical ideas by comparing some of them to government. It like saying because Hitler(god) killed(punishment) the Jews(evil) and there you go...... Hitler's ideas was therefore linked to your religion. And the majority rules thing is a total load of crap lol. If the majority rules that the tooth fairy exist does that mean he still exist for the people who don't believe in him? Not really. It just makes the majority a bunch of jackasses which is usually the case in today's society.
Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12

cronozj wrote:

Watch Kids on the Slope... "God" helped Sentaro cope with his choices and decisions and not go completely insane. So what if someone wants to believe in something higher than his/herself. I personally do not find a need in my life for "God", therefore i do not believe in "God". Some peoples situations differ from yours, they find the need for God to cope with things in there life... Its like when children have imaginary friends that they can tell things to just to avoid bottling up all their pent up emotions.


The Religious zealots (Taliban, Al Qaeda, Westboro Baptist Church, etc.) are just nutjobs.


A placebo basically? Those are useful
19214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/12/12 , edited 7/12/12


I'd like to point out I'm some form Nihilist or another and those were hardly my "radical" views. I was just adding in the prospective that what Aew782 called horrific could just as easily have been considered reasonable with a different prospective.

As for what Hellhunter22 said, I completely agree with your Hitler comparative however I was giving the opposite side's prospective and as you stated it while from our view that seems unreasonable from the other sides it is often the logical rout.

So in retrospect I should i have better pointed out I was talking about a matter of prospective then actually making a defense or reasoning of said actions.
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 7/12/12
They like the idea of a giant father figure in the sky watching out for them.

They also love the idea that death is fake.
12913 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 7/12/12
Now im not saying i dont believe in a god but to all those who are saying things like not believing in a god, dying, being fucked because there actually is a god and going to hell for it. would you really want to trust in something that would so easily turn someone away? for what exact reason would he deny heaven to you? for not believing in him? sorry thats just fucking dumb. If you dont believe in him thats fine, if you do thats also fine, Im not trying to start a war, just saying something that happened to be on my mind as i read a few of these comments :D.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.