First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Why most people want to be slaves?
31045 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
i am an athiest, but there was a time when i was little were my parents told me what to believe and i did, but then i grew up and saw this world for what it is, and awakened to the fact that in our modern times religions are pointless, they were just ways the people of this world decieded how to explain how we came about.

Now on your main point why do people want to be slaves they don't want to be slaves, and even if they are they dont realize that they are they were told that this faith or poitcal way is right and they should live life that way. You see when kids are 3-16 years old are new to this world and if they are told that a man in the sky watches every thing you do and if you do something wrong when you die you will sent to a lake of fire to burn for ever they will take it as the truth.
40031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29
Offline
Posted 7/15/12 , edited 7/15/12
There seems to be a consensus that much of the reason a religious person subscribes to his faith is because he was born into it. Conversely, an 'unbeliever' would have gone through the rigorous thinking necessary to arrive at his current world view. Growing up in a post-religious society, however, I've seen much of the converse.
*Some* atheists can be just as prone to sheep flocking as religious people might be. They certainly did not arrive at their thought through any rational process. It was simply the default position because all of society recommended it.
It takes a huge deal of originality and courage to go against the dictates of convention. In a religious climate, certainly, an 'unbeliever' must necessarily have strong grounds for his unbelief. After all, he doesn't follow the flock for a reason. But couldn't the same be said of a person of religious conviction growing up in a predominantly secular area? It takes just as much courage (and perhaps even reason?) to go against that flow.

Now, to address the OP's points. To be fair, I think all humans are slaves to something, whether, as another poster mentioned, anime, drugs, food or even our own egos. The same could be asked of them. And in all cases, as I feel the OP suggests, they are slaves because it satisfies a need, real or imaginary. The same might be said of God. Perhaps, the question that should be asked then, is what need does God satisfy?
I can't speak for all, but here is how I see it: the human constitution is fundamentally weak. There is no foolproof remedy against any of the host of diseases and travails that can befall us on any minute of any day. As children, we often sought refuge in our parents from the apparent dangers of the outside world because we saw in them a greater source of strength and guidance. We felt they were in a position to keep us from harms way better than we could do ourselves. Likewise, God is that same refuge. The only difference, I feel, is that as we grow, we increasingly feel that we are a law unto ourselves- that is, we dictate our own destinies. It is only when a calamity comes our way, that we realize how helpless we ultimately are. It is our perception of that degree of helplessness that forms our desire to pay homage to an almighty being.
toxxin 
43361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / In my own little...
Offline
Posted 7/15/12

shiori-kun wrote:

This is just my two cents and I expect to be blasted by our fellow crunchyrollians of the religious persuasian over this. But to help forstall the wrath of them I say: live a year without your religion and then make a decision about me, for I have lived many years within your religion and learned your faith. Try mine.


I prefer to be called a "crunchyroller"
58249 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
haha nice one toxxin

well sorry bro you are asking an age old question, and you are at the age to be asking but unfortunately you are really never going to get a strait answer and if you do its going to lead you to more questions. I would have to say a good chunk of people do not know what to do with there life, they do not know who to believe in and life becomes bland and boring. So they look to others and believe in what they believe or turn to others because they think they have no purpose, others do it because everyone doing it and they don't want to be alone.
As for the slave part we are all a slave to money thats why we want it, we educate for it, we work for it and some die for it. *shrug* I know people will argue with me about this but more people have died over CURRENCY than over any religious figure in the world.
Posted 7/15/12 , edited 7/15/12

BioTube wrote:


aew782 wrote:Thanks for that great response, very honest..and it makes sense unlike some of the other answers
Let me translate: some of the other answers actually tried to address what he wrote instead of building up his ego by tearing down the religious.

Newsflash, OP: you aren't superior to the faithful. Yes, many of them just follow what they were taught, but a good chunk made reasoned, adult decisions when they decided to believe. Until you're capable of making a similar decision, you'll never be a real atheist, so I'd appreciate it if you'd stop giving us a bad name. Or, more succinctly, GROW UP.


Who said I was? And whats your problem? I had an observation and some good questions, so I expressed them. If your intimidated by the thread then just don't click it on it. Your strawmaning my words, and it just makes you look paranoid. If your a "real atheist" then you should at least respect my questions, even if you've heard it before. If your worried more about "atheists" getting a bad name then your argument is near idiotic. I'm not going to tell you to "GROW UP", but to respect my opinions, whatever in philosophical category they fall into. The fact that you even say "real atheist" shows how much your thinking is flawed. I don't need you to try to group me into atheism...if anyones giving "atheists" a bad name, it's you.

I think god is useful in some cases, but if you think I'm trying to rob the religious just by voicing my opinion, then your even more wrong than you seem.
Posted 7/15/12 , edited 7/15/12

aznmutt714 wrote:

haha nice one toxxin

well sorry bro you are asking an age old question, and you are at the age to be asking but unfortunately you are really never going to get a strait answer and if you do its going to lead you to more questions. I would have to say a good chunk of people do not know what to do with there life, they do not know who to believe in and life becomes bland and boring. So they look to others and believe in what they believe or turn to others because they think they have no purpose, others do it because everyone doing it and they don't want to be alone.
As for the slave part we are all a slave to money thats why we want it, we educate for it, we work for it and some die for it. *shrug* I know people will argue with me about this but more people have died over CURRENCY than over any religious figure in the world.


It just seems we are so confused..
758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / US
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
I am a slave to the Higgs Boson.
25193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/12

Moeberry wrote:

Maybe to be lead by someone in their best interest?


...call me jaded...but most people only think of their own interests...all else is for convenience or some kind of pay-off later...
13564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / New York
Offline
Posted 7/15/12 , edited 7/16/12
When you're little, it's easier to enjoy the idea that you'll see everyone you know again after you die. Growing up however only leads to more and more conflicts and the idea that you'd actually end up stuck with those very people becomes a bit revolting.
Posted 7/15/12
Well, the Africans sure did make it look fun.
25193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
I am an "Anti-Theist"...I believe there is a "Higher Power"...but I also believe s/he or it does not necessarily need for me to prostrate myself to the will of some opinionated jack-ass who thinks they may know more about the "hereafter" and NEED to educate me that I am a sinner...or tithe my own hard earned money to pay for his lifestyle...

That said...an Atheist believes in what they can lay their hands upon and science is the only answer...a Religious Zealot believes only in "The Word" (whether it is the Torah, Bible, Koran or Plates handed down by the Angel Maury is irrelevant)...everyone else is somewhere in between...and the extremes are both missing something...

The nature of the Human Animal is to want answers...we are curious creatures...curiosity may have killed the cat (and even more humans)...but curiosity has also taken us to the skies and the moon...for some people Religion has those answers (so long as you are willing to accept dogma as a viable solution)...Science also is the end-all for some (even though many of its answers lead to more questions)...both ends of the spectrum offer subservience to the teachings and beliefs of those who came before...both offer some conceptual vision of slavery...BUT...some people see beyond both and believe science has some answers and faith offers some guidance as well...

I like the way Einstein said it "...Religion without science is blind...Science without religion is impotent..."
26257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26
Offline
Posted 7/15/12
people like to follow because it is often much harder to lead. knowing what to do next because someone tells you it is much more reassuring than having to pluck it out of the air with your own mind.
51264 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 7/16/12

aew782 wrote:Who said I was? And whats your problem? I had an observation and some good questions, so I expressed them. If your intimidated by the thread then just don't click it on it. Your strawmaning my words, and it just makes you look paranoid. If your a "real atheist" then you should at least respect my questions, even if you've heard it before. If your worried more about "atheists" getting a bad name then your argument is near idiotic. I'm not going to tell you to "GROW UP", but to respect my opinions, whatever in philosophical category they fall into. The fact that you even say "real atheist" shows how much your thinking is flawed. I don't need you to try to group me into atheism...if anyones giving "atheists" a bad name, it's you.

I think god is useful in some cases, but if you think I'm trying to rob the religious just by voicing my opinion, then your even more wrong than you seem.
Everything in your OP makes it damn clear you're looking for a reason to look down on people. It's essentially asking on why people insist on being wrong when you're so clearly correct. Were there an actual objective proof one way or the other you'd have a point, but the fact of the matter is that atheism is as much a leap of faith as believing there's a god and that he cares; the only scientific support it really has is Occam's Razor, which is a poor basis for getting high and mighty over.


So to answer you question once more, it's because they look at the same evidence you did and came to a different conclusion; now be a grown up and stop pretending everybody with the temerity to disagree with you is doing it because they can't face the facts.
Posted 7/16/12
It's as simple as a 'reason'. From my own personal experience I went through a pretty bad crisis recently to an extent of questioning my own life; at that point I said to myself 'Any reason would be fine, I could even live in someone else's house and be their slave to even have a reason to live'. A 'reason' is something that guides you through life and enables you to carry on living even if it's something stupid.
For many people 'religion' is their reason and guide to live (I am an athiest btw).

However I find that a lot of people have a misconception.
I started to think deeper. Do we really need a reason? No, I don't believe that we need a reason. I believe that we need 'someone'.
Would a human be able to live alone? If I were the only human alive, unknowing that I was and had a reason to live, would I carry on living? No, I would be driven to the point of question and suicide. You may have a reason to live however you are alone. If I had no reason and had someone on the other hand, I ask the question again. Would I live? Yes I would. But that only depends on what that 'someone' is. That someone has to be your sole connection, your lover(?), your life. If that someone isn't that, then you retreat back to 'reason' to live. It is what a lot of people who are single or have caged themselves from the outside world go towards because they cannot find that someone.

In conclusion, a humans life is to live for that 'someone' because the reality is, is that a 'reason' is only a placebo for it (For example, a priest? No offence wanted to be made). This explains the reason why so many people who are single seek for a partner, that someone. The reason why a loved one is prepared to die for another. Why successful married couples are the happiest people of the world. The reason why when a spouse dies, the one that is left, is left with thoughts of suicide because their 'someone' is gone. (And why sex is so pleasurable with a loved one)

I could write more and how it branches but hopefully this is an understandable basis of what I am trying to explain.
But yeah.
Banned
31569 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / The Void.
Offline
Posted 7/16/12 , edited 7/16/12

FiverOtaku wrote:

I am an "Anti-Theist"...I believe there is a "Higher Power"...but I also believe s/he or it does not necessarily need for me to prostrate myself to the will of some opinionated jack-ass who thinks they may know more about the "hereafter" and NEED to educate me that I am a sinner...or tithe my own hard earned money to pay for his lifestyle...

That said...an Atheist believes in what they can lay their hands upon and science is the only answer...a Religious Zealot believes only in "The Word" (whether it is the Torah, Bible, Koran or Plates handed down by the Angel Maury is irrelevant)...everyone else is somewhere in between...and the extremes are both missing something...

The nature of the Human Animal is to want answers...we are curious creatures...curiosity may have killed the cat (and even more humans)...but curiosity has also taken us to the skies and the moon...for some people Religion has those answers (so long as you are willing to accept dogma as a viable solution)...Science also is the end-all for some (even though many of its answers lead to more questions)...both ends of the spectrum offer subservience to the teachings and beliefs of those who came before...both offer some conceptual vision of slavery...BUT...some people see beyond both and believe science has some answers and faith offers some guidance as well...

I like the way Einstein said it "...Religion without science is blind...Science without religion is impotent..."


I totally agree. You have the right answer. This thread can now end.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.