First  Prev  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  113  114  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
50113 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Don't speak as though you understand debates when you don't even know how rogerian style arguments work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogerian_argument secondly we are going around in circles. I can't prove to you god exists and you can't prove he doesn't. Depending on perspective either you have to prove to me because I choose to disbelieve the non-existence of something or I have to prove that something does exist to you because you don't believe it exists. Because what is positive is based on perspective lol To me the positive position is his existence and to you the positive position is he does not exist because as I stated before I am not trying to prove to you that he exists or did you not notice I said that in my last post. I am simply asserting that to my perspective he exists that is all I have to prove nothing to you. I am simply stating a personal belief and however your limited perception views it or receives it is on you for I cannot control how you perceive things.....nothing more nothing less..now if you'll kindly stop responding I am tired of getting alerts to my email about a topic that really holds no value other then the time placed in making the responses that would be great... THANKS
28487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / London
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Yeah i agree..
17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/13

racerxion wrote:

Don't speak as though you understand debates when you don't even know how rogerian style arguments work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogerian_argument secondly we are going around in circles. I can't prove to you god exists


Exactly. You are both agreeing on this. End of discussion.
22561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Online
Posted 8/25/13

bensonc120 wrote:


racerxion wrote:

Don't speak as though you understand debates when you don't even know how rogerian style arguments work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogerian_argument secondly we are going around in circles. I can't prove to you god exists


Exactly. You are both agreeing on this. End of discussion.


Thank you, I was just about to point that out!
16522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Raised in Ireland so of course i was a catholic, but as i grow older I personally believe in the whole Big bang theory. It just makes so much more logical sense.
17901 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Ok, here's a quick summary about why the world sucks the way it is. And what God's plan really is, as to why he isn;t just "fixing" the world.
Also, Athiests are gunna hate so I let them hate, this isn't for them. It's for people who are confused and want a decent explaination as to why the world sucks.

Originally we were created perfectly without sin or even the knowlege of what sin is. We were also in a perfect world where there was no death. Our original task was to "multiply and fill the earth" as well as be caretakers of it. Then we f**ked up. Adam and eve ate the damn apple and got kicked out. Since then sin entered out bodies and now we have things like greed, murder, rape etc.. etc.. God is letting the world destroy itself. And in the End he's going to destroy our current world and anyone who doesn't want any part of God. He has put Jesus out there and His word in the bible for anyone who wants to follow Him and continue on to the next life. It's our choice if we want to or not. God isn't forcing us to do anything. Jesus also acknowledged that life sucks. And he said "Follow me, my burden is light and my yolk is easy." Basically, that mean have faith the Jesus, love everyone and be a good person (remeber to keep your faith in Jesus though)) and you might not have to be destroyed when God destroys the current world.

As for me, I follow God, not because im afraid to be destroyed, but I follow Him cuz i Love him because He gave me life, and when i destroyed my life with drugs and alcohol, he brought me out and gave me a path to follow which makes me very happy. I owe my life to him, and quite frankly, that okay with me. I'm more that happy to follow His way. My life has also been less stressful since i accepted his will, i have a career that makes me happy and a wonderful girlfriend whom i Love, and i know that after this body dies, I'll still have a new life. Death isn't the end for us who believe in Christ.

I know some of you might say, "We'll, I dont believe in all this heaven, hell and God garbage!" And I say, "Okay, well a person may or may not believe in prision, but if he kills a person, he's going to prison whether he believes in it or not!"

Anyways, if any of you wants to learn more about God and Jesus or has questions, feel free to PM me.
17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/13

XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:
Originally we were created perfectly without sin or even the knowlege of what sin is. We were also in a perfect world where there was no death. Our original task was to "multiply and fill the earth" as well as be caretakers of it. Then we f**ked up. Adam and eve ate the damn apple and got kicked out. Since then sin entered out bodies and now we have things like greed, murder, rape etc.. etc..


I will never eat an apple again since it causes things like greed, murder, rape, etc... Question: what if the apple is organic would that be better? Seriously, to condemn an entire species just because someone ate an apple? Wow...


XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:
As for me, I follow God, not because im afraid to be destroyed, but I follow Him cuz i Love him because He gave me life, and when i destroyed my life with drugs and alcohol, he brought me out and gave me a path to follow which makes me very happy. I owe my life to him, and quite frankly, that okay with me. I'm more that happy to follow His way. My life has also been less stressful since i accepted his will, i have a career that makes me happy and a wonderful girlfriend whom i Love, and i know that after this body dies, I'll still have a new life. Death isn't the end for us who believe in Christ.


90% of prisoners believe in god while 90% of scientists don't. While I'm glad that you straightened out your life, most of the people I know don't have the problems with drug or alcohol and they didn't need god for that. There are people who overcome their issues without god as well. What works for you may not work for everyone else. Again, with that being said, I am happy that things worked out for you.


XxNaruTheNarcissistxX wrote:
I know some of you might say, "We'll, I dont believe in all this heaven, hell and God garbage!" And I say, "Okay, well a person may or may not believe in prision, but if he kills a person, he's going to prison whether he believes in it or not!"


Not a great example to demonstrate your point since prisons are real. Not believing in something that is real is just as bad as believing in something that's not real. If someone doesn't believe prisons are real, I can literally take him to a prison and show it to him and say," here's a prison." I can't do that with god or other religions.
16073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Lake Elsinore, CA
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Some pretty lengthy debates going on here, very interesting...

2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13


I think you meant boring. *nodding head yes, agreeing with self*
kekezo 
2080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13
I'm not religious, but I'm going to say why anyway.
I'm atheist because I have seen no proof for god. While there is no proof that God doesn't exist, there's also no proof that magical unicorns don't exist (but they do, trust me), or any other being you could possibly think of. I personally think it makes A LOT of sense to assume he's not real until some reason to believe otherwise comes my way.
I don't assert the non-existence of God, but I don't believe in him because there's no reason to.
20608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/25/13

Tophatjames wrote:

Raised in Ireland so of course i was a catholic, but as i grow older I personally believe in the whole Big bang theory. It just makes so much more logical sense.


I see no conflict with the two. The one who discovered the Big Bang Theory was a priest. It goes along quite nicely with God creating the Universe. Actually, people were originally put off of the idea of the Big Bang Theory because they felt it implied a Creator.
1970 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / West Virginia
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
I'm somewhat religious. Like I believe there may be another being out there somewhere but I don't follow any one religion.
5011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/25/13
Science makes a lot more sense? Science is nothing but theories. You say you don't disrespect religion? Then why do you say religion is silly right to their face. You're not going to hell because you don't believe in religion? What the fuck kind of logic is that, If you rob a bank and say you don't believe in jail does that mean you're not going to jail? You're logic fails to make even the slightest of sense.
5599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 8/25/13 , edited 8/25/13
I'm not "religious" but I believe in God, and I believe in Christ. Religion is a set of rules which one must adhere to. For Christians, (perhaps I should be more specific, but I will use this term regardless, for I believe that by far, many who claim to be Christians are not how I would define them)we do not believe our right standing before God is accomplished by good deeds. We believe that it is through Christ that we can stand before Him. An example of this is: "He does not love us because we are perfect..." This is shown throughout the Bible; we are not perfect. "All have fallen short" that is, all but Christ, who is our atonement. In fact, your very conscience asserts this (assuming you are in good mental health) that you are not perfect- you should probably act better, but you don't.

There is overwhelming evidence for the existence of Christ, ask any serious scholar of that time era. You will be rather hard pressed to find one which does not believe He existed. Now the question of whether or not He is actually who He says He is, that is another thing. For that, we Christians have less "hard" evidence. There is some evidences, but not nearly as much to "convert" anyone. I put convert in quotations because I do not believe any type of argument alone can cause a true conversion. It is an act of God. The question then is what connects the though above (I am not perfect) and becoming a Christian? For me anyway, it was through the promises in the Bible. It says that yes, you are not perfect. But instead, to complete the quote begun in the last paragraph: "... He will make us perfect because He loves us." Now I do not think this has happened to anyone completely, (in this life) but a genuine Christian, as described in the Bible, will go through a process we call "Sanctification" which is the process of becoming more "holy" or more set-apart. Or, made to be less of sinners. He promises not only forgiveness, but actually saving us from our sin. Now this is a point many professing Christians miss. Many professing Christians, falling short of this, give up the true pursuit of God for a religious system- a set of rules. "you must be this good to get into Heaven" when this thought is the antithesis of Christian doctrine. (but this is getting a bit off-topic)

I initially became a Christian because I could not overcome sin. (Now I was never considered a bad kid. I graduated high school at 14, had a degree at 18, never got in trouble with the cops, etc. My sins were more hidden, but I was still a sinner, and I knew it) But I was helpless. I would fight one sin, and another would sneak in, and soon I found myself surrounded by my sin- without the willpower to be able to overcome it. You look at a woman with lust in your heart- that's sin. You yell at your annoying brother who spilled something on your table- that's sin. I could go on and on. But Christ promises that He can help you overcome these things. So basically I said "If this is true, and you really are who you say you are... Then I will give it a try. I can't do it on my own, I need you..." And I am here about half a year later, not perfect, but having overcome many of the initial sins which plagued me. I love God because He has delivered me from my sin (not just forgiven me, but literally taken me out of them) and I continue my pursuit of God, and sanctification, and serving those around me.

EDIT: This is by no means a complete theology or explanation of the Christian Faith, but only a partial one, to try to answer the OP's question.
16522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 8/25/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:


Tophatjames wrote:

Raised in Ireland so of course i was a catholic, but as i grow older I personally believe in the whole Big bang theory. It just makes so much more logical sense.


I see no conflict with the two. The one who discovered the Big Bang Theory was a priest. It goes along quite nicely with God creating the Universe. Actually, people were originally put off of the idea of the Big Bang Theory because they felt it implied a Creator.


Ah i never knew that, but that's kind of blissful in my eye's.
First  Prev  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  112  113  114  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.