First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 9/7/12

cjr7296 wrote:


deejayvee wrote:

I read this and I 100% completely agree. http://www.clockbackward.com/2009/06/28/does-science-contradict-christianity/



How does science feel about spirits that speak of god?

Not that I've been asked, but, since science is my bread and butter, I felt I should come up with something witty:

How does a man with no legs feel about you tickling his feet?
Posted 9/7/12
im religious cuz i pray to god that the assistant principle will fall down the stairs when shes chasing me n brake her legs
Posted 9/7/12 , edited 9/7/12
I've said something similar on another thread, so excuse me if this sounds repetitive..in my opinion, not being religious is perfectly fine. To each their own. However, when you start talking like the OP:


shadorai wrote:

i just think religion is ridiculous


..you are just as bad as those people who are telling you to believe in one or else you'll "Go to Hell." Stand your own but how about not knocking someone else aka doing what's already pissing YOU off? If we all could be more accepting of an acceptable lifestyle (which I define as one which really isn't hurting,) I think the world would be a much better place. And if you can't and know you're that closed minded, I think it's always best in ANY SITUATION, even on a forum, to keep your mouth shut because you're wrong if you think your way of life is better than the person next to you's. Doesn't matter where you state it if mean is mean, and being on the internet does not excuse you from being an asshole.

As far as my religion goes, you could say I'm Agnostic but I wouldn't - the problem with labels is that they hardly fit everyone. I believe in one religion, or all religions, or somewhere in between, or etc. - I just know that I tend to believe in something. The reason for that is that I think there's more to life than what you can see - there's a WHY, not just a WHAT, and I think that can apply to almost everything.

92 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Mexico
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
In my case i do believe there's a God just cuz how things works such as the way the animals do things like they are programmed to do it, the way they protect their family and the way they do things to survive who's the one behind all that? like the way the watch works, someone designed it in order to work... its not that it came from an explosion, doesn't make sense, the planet, humans, animals, everything else alive, couldn't have been work of the nothing or an explosion, so I believe there's really an architect or a programmer behind all this to work the way it has been working for the past million years... the sun is in the perfect spot near the earth in order for us to be alive... or like the way we help the plants to live and they repay the favor to us, the way the human is designed if you think about it, its not easy to belive it was fate or the work of some explosion...
Just my 2 cents...
26265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
Not religious myself. I find religious texts interesting though. But to me they are just stories. They shouldn't be taken to mean anything more than that. If you want to live your life based on a moral code within them, so be it, just please leave it at that. Any further just seems silly. That step further is also what has hindered humanity for so long. Imagine if we lived in a world where someone wouldn't have been put under house arrest for saying the earth revolves around the sun? 2002 could've actually looked like the Jetsons.

I've seen a few post about how things work too perfectly for there not to be a God. The thing is that evolution is a slow process, it's not immediate. The reason for things working as well as they do is through thousands of years of species dying off and others living on. The groups where genetic mutations prospered lived on and branched into more species and eventually you get to where we are today. The idea of intelligent design is also pretty flawed when you know of the errors in our design. The recurrent laryngeal nerve is a good example of this. If it were a case of intelligent design, why would the creators choose to make this excessively long nerve that actually passes it's destination early on only to come back when they could've just made it go from point a to point b? Through evolution though, you can see that it use to simply run to the gills, over years and years ran down, and eventually came back up. Over the slow course of evolution, the resources put into expanding the nerve were never taxing, but at this point now it seems a major waste. The vas deferens have the same problem.

Taking the example of a watch, this is true intelligent design. If a watchmaker were to throw in an extra gear, it would most likely seize up. So it has to be perfect, and thanks to intelligent design, human craftsmanship, it can be. Humans and every other animal are flawed. We still work, but there are many imperfections in our design.

Another nice thing to look at is the fastest animals. Number 1 is usually the prey of number 2, 3 the prey of four, and so on. If two was faster than 1, 1 would be extinct. How this shows evolution is that the slower ones from 1 get eaten, so the the 1's with the faster genes live to spread their genes into the next generations. The slower ones of 2 can't catch 1 so they starve, and the faster of 2 spreads their genes. This isn't very intelligent. Why is there such an arms race?

God isn't hard to disprove, it just the people that have to listen have fingers in their ears. Personally, I practice meditation. I'm not a buddhist, but they can teach some great things. Religions can be great tools, if you don't get caught up in the supernatural aspects.
1172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/12 , edited 9/7/12
I am religious. Why? It simply works for me. However, I don't blindly follow my religion. I accept ideas which applies and makes common sense. In our society these days, tolerance and respect seems almost non-existent which, I admit is a little sad. So let me tell you guys that it is alright to be different. It is alright not to follow trends. It is alright not to believe in certain ideas no matter how credible it maybe. It is alright if you don't agree that there is only one god or multiple gods. It is alright if you believe that god does not exist. It is all okay! No matter what religion or lack of religion you have, I could careless. Do what is best that makes you feel good and functional in our society. All of us in this world are just trying to live one day at a time so you will never see me go out of my way to make your lives miserable no matter what you believe in, where you are from, or the color of your skin. So long as mutual respect is given, I will openly and continually give you respect and treat you as a friend. :-)
39347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 9/7/12

macross5000 wrote:

I am religious. Why? It simply works for me. However, I don't blindly follow my religion. I accept ideas which applies and makes common sense. In our society these days, tolerance and respect seems almost non-existent which, I admit is a little sad. So let me tell you guys that it is alright to be different. It is alright not to follow trends. It is alright not to believe in certain ideas no matter how credible it maybe. It is alright if you don't agree that there is only one god or multiple gods. It is alright if you believe that god does not exist. It is all okay! No matter what religion or lack of religion you have, I could careless. Do what is best that makes you feel good and functional in our society. All of us in this world are just trying to live one day at a time so you will never see me go out of my way to make your lives miserable no matter what you believe in, where you are from, or the color of your skin. So long as mutual respect is given, I will openly and continually give you respect and treat you as a friend. :-)


But going to church and praying instead of taking action has no function in society...
39074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/12

AshRandom wrote:


cjr7296 wrote:


deejayvee wrote:

I read this and I 100% completely agree. http://www.clockbackward.com/2009/06/28/does-science-contradict-christianity/



How does science feel about spirits that speak of god?

Not that I've been asked, but, since science is my bread and butter, I felt I should come up with something witty:

How does a man with no legs feel about you tickling his feet?



I'll highlight that and leave this topic as is, just proves what i was thinking that's all. Carry on. :)

1172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
I actually haven't been to church for a while. Ha ha ha! :-D

However, I consider myself religious because I do believe in a higher power and there are many common basic and ethical codes that I believe would apply in modern society. In short, there are valid points in the bible that we can surely learn from and some that I feel like other people in history have thrown in as a level of control. Let me tell you, sorting through all of that text is not simple. :-)

To reply to your comment though, sure the act of going to church and praying by itself has no function to society. However, since many Christians believe that attending weekly mass makes them feel close to god, it gives them a sense of well being, and it allows them to work more honestly and diligently outside of the church. So, it's the effect of the church that serves as a function to society not the actual attending and praying. ^__^

Like I said previously, this is just one way. There are many ways to achieve that level effect not just in a christian way. So, whatever works for you, buddy. :-)
15043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
I'm atheist but I understand the reasoning of religion. I have no problem with God's Fan club. It's his SUPER Fan club that causes problems. Or me. It's really a readers opinion.
4823 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
USA
Offline
Posted 9/7/12
No.
14217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

artsygirl21 wrote:

I'm an atheist, I don't take anybody's crap about religion. Religion staunches growth, whereas atheism is great, it expands our knowledge and allows questions. However, I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as there are many other dimensions to our universe (11 according to the String Theory), but not necessarily a "god" to rule that, there's no such thing.
Religion is one big fairy tale, people should realize that by now. How do you know if religion wasn't first created as an actually joke, and there were just too many people down the line of history to take it seriously?

Religion is a pillar of society, It will always be, as has always been... since the dawn of human kind.... Atheism is actually just another religion, you believe in not believing

Religion was created to fill a void, to answer questions men could not answer on they're own (and fails to do so).
Science has tried to answer this same questions, Science failed as well, all that science is able to do is observe, and describe HOW phenomena often happens, but it has never explain WHY it happens, and every attempt of explaining it results in a "Theory" which according to science itself, since it has not been proved, every single theory that has been proven is known as "Law"
"Theories" can't be proved, therefore they are useless...
Well, according to The String "Theory" (blargh) and many other "theories", those "many dimensions" might as well be meatball sauce (itadakimasu) ;)
How is atheism able to prove the inexistence of any force which can be known as "god"?, if there is no proof god doesn't exist, i haven't said god exists either, that's because i have no proof it exists, I'm only saying it's stupid to believe in stuff that can't be proved, doesn't matter if it's called god or theories...
Atheism is often confused with science, well it isn't Science.... Therefore you can't say that Atheism is great because it expands our knowledge, it expands jerks to think they are way better than others, and that they are qualified to say god doesn't exists, well... you can't prove that god isn't real, and according to Atheism you can't deny nor affirm such existence because you lack proof...
Science= Laws, Laws=Nature, Science=Nature... Atheism=???
"It's really stupid to believe that once upon a time, a wholeshitmillion years ago, there was a big badass FotherMucker explosion which created life, and structure... What, or who created the explosion?, How was it created? (it is said that al the answer to this questions is the remaining materials from the previous explosion cycles, this ones were the result of previous explosions, it goes on and on and on...
What da fauq created the explosions in the first place???" here i quote one of my best friends, Jew and Physics professor ( i did change it a little bit though )
I hate how atheists think they're qualified to deny the existence of everything they don't believe in (stuff even Scientists don't dare to Denny, because real scientists do require proof), but suddenly they do believe in "Theories", which haven't been proved....
LOL's my world.... sadly.
Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

Shizzx wrote:


Religion was created to fill a void, to answer questions men could not answer on they're own (and fails to do so).
Science has tried to answer this same questions, Science failed as well, all that science is able to do is observe, and describe HOW phenomena often happens, but it has never explain WHY it happens, and every attempt of explaining it results in a "Theory" which according to science itself, since it has not been proved, every single theory that has been proven is known as "Law"
"Theories" can't be proved, therefore they are useless...


nearly everything you said was wrong. especially this. it's clear you don't understand what a scientific theory is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

also atheism is not a religion. it's a single position on a single issue; one doesn't believe in a god or gods. there is also no set of beliefs that all atheists follow.
Posted 9/8/12

AshRandom wrote:


Flyinglotus wrote:


AshRandom wrote:


Flyinglotus wrote:

Hmmm...... wow...

I respect everybody's faith or belief... but some of the ways you people go about it is just pathetic. I literally face palm myself when I read some these comments. It's fine to question someones faith, but quit fucking bashing them about it. One side does it more than the other i've noticed when it comes to this topic. You make yourself hypocrite when you do that shit. Damn trolls.


I think I can finally understand the truth, you guys are right!

I should just blatantly respect people's religious belief in HONOR KILLINGS.


Thank you for giving everyone an example on what I just mentioned.


And thank you for being an example of the insane stupidity of religious moderates who defend their nonsensical beliefs without thought to the consequences. You are part of the problem. People like you who defend the actions of fundamentalists are guilty of shielding them from a reality so plain to see, that they're willing to commit the most heinous acts imaginable on behalf of the religious texts you draw your false ideals from.

You share in the blood, and the suffering of innocents. You have taken up the side without ethics. And you actually think what you're doing is positive, that's how far down the rabbit hole you've gone. There is nothing, nothing, nothing at all intolerant about pointing out the disgusting nature of religious claims, and the wretched intolerance and self righteousness with which fundamentalists smother themselves.

They aren't doing anything in the "name of religion" that's a cop-out. They aren't misinterpreting things either. They're doing it because they really truly believe. And the religious texts they adore, actually instruct them to. I've read these books critically, as have many others, it is the majority academic conclusion that they are not misinterpreting their God's commandments to kill and torture. Religious moderates are the only ones who have misinterpreted these ancient texts. So badly in fact, that they actually think the Bible is about love and kindness and that the Koran is a book of peace and wisdom. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are engines of murder.


Lol, ok.

13566 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / New York
Offline
Posted 9/8/12 , edited 9/8/12

cjr7296 wrote:


AshRandom wrote:


cjr7296 wrote:


deejayvee wrote:

I read this and I 100% completely agree. http://www.clockbackward.com/2009/06/28/does-science-contradict-christianity/



How does science feel about spirits that speak of god?

Not that I've been asked, but, since science is my bread and butter, I felt I should come up with something witty:

How does a man with no legs feel about you tickling his feet?



I'll highlight that and leave this topic as is, just proves what i was thinking that's all. Carry on. :)



Yep. Same here. It's just a ridiculously nonsensical question.

How does science feel about leprechauns that speak of the tooth fairy?

First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.