First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
1592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/25/12
I'm agnostic. I don't have any beliefs but instead will decide whether or not God truly exists by viewing the evidence. Since there is no major evidence proving or disproving his existence then that means that I can't know if he/she/it exists.

If God created men then who created God? If God was always there then how did he/she/it get there? If there is no God then how do we exist?

These questions create a huge paradox that makes me think " it really doesn't matter whether or not god exists anyways, I'm still alive either way."
20991 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Lichfield, UK
Offline
Posted 10/25/12
I dont have a religion but I would not question someone elses faith.
However I do hate it when people attempt to convert you or shove their religion down your throat, jehovahs witnesses especially annoy me.
1592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/25/12

Jdaimond wrote:

love for Jesus is a work of god but religion is a man made envention

love for Jesus is the cure while religion is the infection.

religion says DO but Jesus says DONE

Religion says SLAVE. Jesus says SON

Religion puts you in bondage but Jesus sets you free.

Religion makes you blind. Jesus makes you see

Thats why religion and god are two seperate things.

religion is man searching for God. Christianaty is GOD SEARCHING FOR MAN.


I'm sorry but this is extremely scary to me. Christianity is a religion. It's just a modified Judaism and has the same God. Therefore who would be correct? Judaism follows the original practices while Christianity has been modified so that it's more acceptable.

I really don't get why people decide that Christianity is better than Judaism or Islam. They all worship the same God but hate each other and say that they're wrong. Christianity is currently the largest religion; Judaism is the root of Christianity and Islam; and I don't really know enough about Islam to comment about it, I am interested in it though from a scholar's point of view.

Blind faith is something that nobody should have. Ask as many questions about anything that piques your curiosity until you get the answer yourself. If someone tells you not to think certain things or ask certain questions then you shouldn't ever trust that person. This is the reason why I have no faith. Too many people have said that I'm asking the "wrong questions" when asking about my faith when I was a child. There are no wrong questions, never think that you have to think a certain way just because your beliefs contradict with it. When a belief contradicts a fact then it is not the fact that is wrong.
1592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21
Offline
Posted 10/25/12

phogan wrote:

When the subject comes up I tell people I am agnostic just to avoid conflict, but I am for all intents and purposes an atheist.
I am convinced religion is more the work of man than any divine influence, which also may account for the number of religions
with often conflicting tenants etc. Also it seems unlikely to me that any God capable of creating a universe with billions upon billions of galaxies, would do so only to focus on humans, who's primary preoccupation for the past 5,000+ years since civilization has been finding ways to kill each other over among other things religion. Far too often religion is used as an excuse for bigotry and hate. (note: I am not saying these things would disappear without religion).



In a way, I agree with your point of view. However I truly am Agnostic and think that although it's unlikely that God exists, there is still a possibility that God does exist. I don't think any religion is correct but if any were then I would hope that it would be the Native American's belief that God is in every living being and you should not waste a single part of the things that you kill for survival.

I do wish that everyone would start questioning their own religions though. Not to make them stop believing but just to let them think for themselves.
6610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 10/25/12 , edited 10/25/12

Junoh315 wrote:


Jdaimond wrote:

love for Jesus is a work of god but religion is a man made envention

love for Jesus is the cure while religion is the infection.

religion says DO but Jesus says DONE

Religion says SLAVE. Jesus says SON

Religion puts you in bondage but Jesus sets you free.

Religion makes you blind. Jesus makes you see

Thats why religion and god are two seperate things.

religion is man searching for God. Christianaty is GOD SEARCHING FOR MAN.


I'm sorry but this is extremely scary to me. Christianity is a religion. It's just a modified Judaism and has the same God. Therefore who would be correct? Judaism follows the original practices while Christianity has been modified so that it's more acceptable.

I really don't get why people decide that Christianity is better than Judaism or Islam. They all worship the same God but hate each other and say that they're wrong. Christianity is currently the largest religion; Judaism is the root of Christianity and Islam; and I don't really know enough about Islam to comment about it, I am interested in it though from a scholar's point of view.

Blind faith is something that nobody should have. Ask as many questions about anything that piques your curiosity until you get the answer yourself. If someone tells you not to think certain things or ask certain questions then you shouldn't ever trust that person. This is the reason why I have no faith. Too many people have said that I'm asking the "wrong questions" when asking about my faith when I was a child. There are no wrong questions, never think that you have to think a certain way just because your beliefs contradict with it. When a belief contradicts a fact then it is not the fact that is wrong.


First if you didnt understand what my message ment than thats your fault.
secondly i do not have blind faith if you would have read my message better i said RELIGION MAKES YOU BLIND, JESUS MAKES YOU SEE. ive actualy researched the bigbang, evolution, lots of religions and even ISLAM. All the things are built on stupid theories and if you think me loving jesus is scary than read into islam, that is some scary shit, here is one of the verses out of thequaren(thier bible)

Did you know - Quran (4:34) orders a man to beat his wife if she doesn't obey him?

Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Now what if i told you ive seen the way god works. you would say thats bull, so i wont tell you.
Your probably thinking this is my personality(tries to be perfect, always shoves religion down other peoples throats, snotty, and even blind.
If that is what you think you are mistaken, i probably make a thousand more mistakes than you. Your obviously smarter than me(ive made a bunch of errors in this message). You are probably even a better person than me, But what if your wrong, what if there is a jesus who got beat and killed for us. What kind of person are you than. You know what he said ''forgive them father for they know not what they've done''. im not shoving my religion down anybodys throat im just defending myself. Here is more stuff on islam
http://www.apostatesofislam.com/apostates/abulk/articles/whyislamiswrong.htm


15112 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 10/25/12
Nah I never believed, I came up with the conclusion that God was actually a bunch of aliens and since we were too stupid back then to know what aliens were we turned them into a mythical being or beings to make it rational to us. Im not kidding about this either I actually believe this.
56909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / Right behind you.
Offline
Posted 10/25/12

Jdaimond wrote:

First if you didnt understand what my message ment than thats your fault.
secondly i do not have blind faith if you would have read my message better i said RELIGION MAKES YOU BLIND, JESUS MAKES YOU SEE. ive actualy researched the bigbang, evolution, lots of religions and even ISLAM. All the things are built on stupid theories and if you think me loving jesus is scary than read into islam, that is some scary shit, here is one of the verses out of thequaren(thier bible)

Did you know - Quran (4:34) orders a man to beat his wife if she doesn't obey him?

Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Now what if i told you ive seen the way god works. you would say thats bull, so i wont tell you.
Your probably thinking this is my personality(tries to be perfect, always shoves religion down other peoples throats, snotty, and even blind.
If that is what you think you are mistaken, i probably make a thousand more mistakes than you. Your obviously smarter than me(ive made a bunch of errors in this message). You are probably even a better person than me, But what if your wrong, what if there is a jesus who got beat and killed for us. What kind of person are you than. You know what he said ''forgive them father for they know not what they've done''. im not shoving my religion down anybodys throat im just defending myself. Here is more stuff on islam
http://www.apostatesofislam.com/apostates/abulk/articles/whyislamiswrong.htm



Heh, i find it amusing that you find all other ideas to be built on stupid theories. Here is the bottom line, whether you believe in the big bang, genesis or anything any other religious mythology , all of them contain acts of faith, no one theory is inherently more unbelievable than the next. He is not saying you loving Jesus is scary, he said blind faith is what he is scared of. You are also picking and choosing passages from the Qur'an. A belief system you have already decided you dont like and are not simply interpreting evidence to support your conclusion instead of letting the evidence yield a conclusion.
Even the statement of you having seen how God works is an act of faith, and you believing you have seen how God works. You saw something and believe it was God's work, i dont doubt that, but other than your faith, you have no evidence that it was God's work. While there is historical evidence that Jesus existed, even the idea that he died for humanity's sins is still an act of faith. What if i am wrong? I am not going to live my life pretending to believe something i dont believe in just out of fear of being wrong.
Also, you say you are defending yourself, no you arent, what you are doing is attacking anyone who disagrees with you, the post you quoted was rather neutral, brought up historical facts, Judaism, Islam and Christianity are similar monotheistic religions. Judaism influenced Islam and Christianity greatly, that is a fact. He was stating facts and you replied by attacking every other belief system you could think of by calling them "stupid." I am not an expert on Judaism or Islam and quite frankly i have no interest in either of them what so ever. I was born catholic though, and i do know Christianity.

I also clicked on the link and I quote

"Why Islam is wrong

Islam is wrong and false because, its message, the Quran contains no miracles or any signs of divinity. Instead it has many defects and contradications.
The character of Mohammed was also unfit for a Prophet of God. He was a violent man, with a large sexual appetite."

The first sentence of it being wrong because it has no incidence of divinity is illogical, you are imposing your own religious beliefs on a different belief system and then criticizing it for not having the same core belief system. You have already decided you are right and all other possibilities are wrong.

Also, the bible has plenty of contradictions on the bible as it stands, I wouldn't go as far as calling them defects because i am not arrogant enough to think my views are the only ones that are correct and all the other ones are based on "stupid theories"

13648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 10/25/12

Somewhat_Insane_Monkey wrote:

Nah I never believed, I came up with the conclusion that God was actually a bunch of aliens and since we were too stupid back then to know what aliens were we turned them into a mythical being or beings to make it rational to us. Im not kidding about this either I actually believe this.


Oh the irony....

BRB, don't believe that God is a supreme being, believes that they are Aliens...
BRB, feeling proud about it...
13648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere.... per...
Offline
Posted 10/25/12

AmieeRul wrote:

i am religious..
why ? because i need ''something'' to shine my life, to make me stronger and better.
anyway, i believe there must be ''something'' that create our beautiful world..


How can you believe in something so strongly without evidence to back up those ridiculous claims...?
Do you believe me if I told you that I came back to life after I died in an accident...?
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/12 , edited 10/25/12
I envy people that believe in God, I truly do. Because I wish I could believe in God but sadly I figured out Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Rabbit, ghosts, boogeyman, and God- didn't exist at a fairly young age.


AmieeRul wrote:

i am religious..
why ? because i need ''something'' to shine my life, to make me stronger and better.
anyway, i believe there must be ''something'' that create our beautiful world..



That "something" is called motivation.

And I'll admit I am guilty of motivation from fictional characters...



3082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/25/12
Technically, everyone is religious.
6610 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 10/26/12

quikbeam wrote:


Jdaimond wrote:

First if you didnt understand what my message ment than thats your fault.
secondly i do not have blind faith if you would have read my message better i said RELIGION MAKES YOU BLIND, JESUS MAKES YOU SEE. ive actualy researched the bigbang, evolution, lots of religions and even ISLAM. All the things are built on stupid theories and if you think me loving jesus is scary than read into islam, that is some scary shit, here is one of the verses out of thequaren(thier bible)

Did you know - Quran (4:34) orders a man to beat his wife if she doesn't obey him?

Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.

Now what if i told you ive seen the way god works. you would say thats bull, so i wont tell you.
Your probably thinking this is my personality(tries to be perfect, always shoves religion down other peoples throats, snotty, and even blind.
If that is what you think you are mistaken, i probably make a thousand more mistakes than you. Your obviously smarter than me(ive made a bunch of errors in this message). You are probably even a better person than me, But what if your wrong, what if there is a jesus who got beat and killed for us. What kind of person are you than. You know what he said ''forgive them father for they know not what they've done''. im not shoving my religion down anybodys throat im just defending myself. Here is more stuff on islam
http://www.apostatesofislam.com/apostates/abulk/articles/whyislamiswrong.htm



Heh, i find it amusing that you find all other ideas to be built on stupid theories. Here is the bottom line, whether you believe in the big bang, genesis or anything any other religious mythology , all of them contain acts of faith, no one theory is inherently more unbelievable than the next. He is not saying you loving Jesus is scary, he said blind faith is what he is scared of. You are also picking and choosing passages from the Qur'an. A belief system you have already decided you dont like and are not simply interpreting evidence to support your conclusion instead of letting the evidence yield a conclusion.
Even the statement of you having seen how God works is an act of faith, and you believing you have seen how God works. You saw something and believe it was God's work, i dont doubt that, but other than your faith, you have no evidence that it was God's work. While there is historical evidence that Jesus existed, even the idea that he died for humanity's sins is still an act of faith. What if i am wrong? I am not going to live my life pretending to believe something i dont believe in just out of fear of being wrong.
Also, you say you are defending yourself, no you arent, what you are doing is attacking anyone who disagrees with you, the post you quoted was rather neutral, brought up historical facts, Judaism, Islam and Christianity are similar monotheistic religions. Judaism influenced Islam and Christianity greatly, that is a fact. He was stating facts and you replied by attacking every other belief system you could think of by calling them "stupid." I am not an expert on Judaism or Islam and quite frankly i have no interest in either of them what so ever. I was born catholic though, and i do know Christianity.

I also clicked on the link and I quote

"Why Islam is wrong

Islam is wrong and false because, its message, the Quran contains no miracles or any signs of divinity. Instead it has many defects and contradications.
The character of Mohammed was also unfit for a Prophet of God. He was a violent man, with a large sexual appetite."

The first sentence of it being wrong because it has no incidence of divinity is illogical, you are imposing your own religious beliefs on a different belief system and then criticizing it for not having the same core belief system. You have already decided you are right and all other possibilities are wrong.

Also, the bible has plenty of contradictions on the bible as it stands, I wouldn't go as far as calling them defects because i am not arrogant enough to think my views are the only ones that are correct and all the other ones are based on "stupid theories"



You know, Im gonna end this argument with a picture cause a picture is worth a thousand words.

haha I so got you but seriously heres the real picture.
22938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / mars
Offline
Posted 10/26/12
I'm an agnostic atheist.
I just chose to not believe in Christianity anymore. I feel so forced going to Church on a Sunday on a religion I don't even believe in. I can't even escape Church because everyone is in it but I can't go because everyone gives me dirty looks whenever I miss out on Church.
475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / philippines valen...
Offline
Posted 10/26/12
1635 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / There.
Offline
Posted 10/26/12
I'm religious and that's none of your business
First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.