First  Prev  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
8508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / i'm there. you kn...
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

DetectiveAlex wrote:


shadorai wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:


shadorai wrote:



Yeah, I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying that ANY opinion on God makes you religious. Unless you don't really care about God at all and have no opinions, which I haven't seen in a person before.


like i said earlier, if you don't like onions, are you considered as a person who eats on onions? no, you're not. do you understand my comparison?



I think I grasp what you're saying, but just to make sure, can you explain it more thoroughly?


yes, i can.

if you have tried an onion before and decided that you don't like them, people do not consider you as a person who eats onions.
understand now?
18119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/12
Well, I think everyone believes in God because when you're going through hard times or struggling or in pain such as a broken bone or emotional pain you say oh my god am I going to get better or you actually remember God. That's my view on it anyways.
3082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/27/12 , edited 10/27/12


I get you now. So I have a question for you, what do you call a person who does not believe in God?
8508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / i'm there. you kn...
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

DetectiveAlex wrote:



yes, i can.

if you have tried an onion before and decided that you don't like them, people do not consider you as a person who eats onions.
understand now?


I get you now. So I have a question for you, what do you call a person who does not believe in God?

an atheist.
14217 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/12
mmm... nahhhhhhh....
3082 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/27/12
Right, now does that belief that there is no God have anything to do with God? Yes, it does. You are choosing not to believe in God. God is the focal point here.
12977 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 20.0167° N, 155.6...
Offline
Posted 10/27/12 , edited 10/27/12
I don't think religion has anything to do with your God of your understanding. I any who... Who am I to talk.... I'm nichren daishonen.
2958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/27/12
Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's the chicken.
69525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

iLoveBoobies wrote:

Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's the chicken.

It's the egg.
2958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

haikinka wrote:


iLoveBoobies wrote:

Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's the chicken.

It's the egg.


Nope, it's the chicken. :3
42080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

kakashi2k7 wrote:

Well, I think everyone believes in God because when you're going through hard times or struggling or in pain such as a broken bone or emotional pain you say oh my god am I going to get better or you actually remember God. That's my view on it anyways.

I'm not sure about that. God is - for me - an actual experienced presence. And, yeah, going through hard times can really put you in touch with him, if only because you are in a position where it's a lot harder to consider yourself powerful and the most important thing in the world. If you've got an inflated view of your own significance, it's hard to listen to the Big Guy.

While it is incredibly hard to approach God with an attitude of pride, it's also no guarantee that hard times make someone approach God, even if they might invoke or blame him. In fact, a lot of people are so convinced that they are owed a trouble-free existence that they feel intense blame toward God for not smoothing out the bumps and bruises in their life.
maffoo 
64803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

iLoveBoobies wrote:


haikinka wrote:


iLoveBoobies wrote:

Which one came first, the chicken or the egg?

It's the chicken.

It's the egg.


Nope, it's the chicken. :3


I was thinking about this not long ago (sad, I know ), and I came to the conclusion that it's the egg.

Here's my logic: Chickens evolved from non-chicken ancestors. Over time, natural selection made them more chicken-like, and genetically and physically they became more like the bird we know as the chicken. At some point, a male bird which was almost-but-not-quite-a-chicken fertlised an egg from a female which again wasn't quite a chicken, and the combination of genes from the two (which would include some slight mutations) resulted in an offspring that was genetically close enough to the modern species to be classed as a chicken. Therefore the egg came first :)

(I also realised that a Creationist would probably come to the opposite conclusion - if the egg came first it would either not hatch, or it would hatch but in the absence of an adult chicken to protect it the chick would die - therefore God would need to create an adult chicken first.)
maffoo 
64803 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

shadorai wrote:


DetectiveAlex wrote:

Technically, everyone is religious.


how is that? i'm curious for an intelligent answer.


I don't think everyone is "religious" but I think that everyone has some of the traits of religious thought. For example, religious people tend to disregard evidence that contradicts their religion, or explain it away (like when some of the more extreme Christians say that fossils were put there by the Devil to fool us.) In truth, everyone does the same thing - we all pay more attention to the things that support our beliefs (not just religious, also political, moral and even scientific) and ignore or explain away anything that doesn't.
42080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

I get you now. So I have a question for you, what do you call a person who does not believe in God?


an atheist.


re·li·gious (adj)

1.) relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
2.) of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
3.) scrupulously and conscientiously faithful


I know many atheists who are more fervent in their religious beliefs than most Christians, who are more scrupulously and conscientiously devoted to their practice and expression, and who are without a doubt faithfully devoted to their acknowledged ultimate reality, even if that reality violently opposes acknowledging a God.

BUT.

I don't think that someone who has bowed out of the debate should necessarily be called religious.
42080 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Texas
Offline
Posted 10/27/12

maffoo wrote:

I was thinking about this not long ago (sad, I know ), and I came to the conclusion that it's the egg.

Here's my logic: Chickens evolved from non-chicken ancestors. Over time, natural selection made them more chicken-like, and genetically and physically they became more like the bird we know as the chicken. At some point, a male bird which was almost-but-not-quite-a-chicken fertlised an egg from a female which again wasn't quite a chicken, and the combination of genes from the two (which would include some slight mutations) resulted in an offspring that was genetically close enough to the modern species to be classed as a chicken. Therefore the egg came first :)

(I also realised that a Creationist would probably come to the opposite conclusion - if the egg came first it would either not hatch, or it would hatch but in the absence of an adult chicken to protect it the chick would die - therefore God would need to create an adult chicken first.)


Want to think something terrifying?

A chicken isn't actually a real thing. It's a concept of a thing. It's a base construct that exists only mentally. Certainly it describes an actual species of animal, but if we accept evolution, and that species can change over time, then that means that the species, in particular, that became the chicken was at some point *entirely unlike chicken*. Yet there must be a clear, unbroken line of ancestry between once species and another, because that's the premise of evolved diversity.

A creationist, however, would say that, regardless, becoming a chicken is in fact that species *ordained goal*, meaning that it can, must, and shall eventually bring forth chickens. Because the *concept* of chicken existed, an animal was in some way recruited to fulfill that role, and nature and God conspired to make it happen.

So, then, the question is: Did the concept of the chicken come first, or did the actual animal? And are we even capable of looking at the animal, without seeing its concept? The atheist says the animal, because our concepts are ultimately irrelevant to what exists. The theist says the concept, because God had in mind the course of nature when he started it.

But, IMHO, the egg came first.
First  Prev  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.