First  Prev  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
Posted 11/9/12 , edited 11/9/12
I don't have a religion because all it does is separate us from each other and causes many misunderstandings, wars, murders and destruction. It also causes us to be ignorant and arrogant towards others.
13244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / ANIME WORLD
Offline
Posted 11/12/12

artsygirl21 wrote:

I'm an atheist, I don't take anybody's crap about religion. Religion staunches growth, whereas atheism is great, it expands our knowledge and allows questions. However, I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as there are many other dimensions to our universe (11 according to the String Theory), but not necessarily a "god" to rule that, there's no such thing.

Religion is one big fairy tale, people should realize that by now. How do you know if religion wasn't first created as an actually joke, and there were just too many people down the line of history to take it seriously? [/quoI




I agree with you on that.I myself think that some human created religion for people not to ask questions and be loyal to their imaginary friend or watever.If the whole planet realize that then we would be highly advance in medical research and technology advancement with out war or fear
19960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Oslo
Offline
Posted 11/12/12
I'm not religious. I stopped believing after I was bitch-slapped in the face by reality way too many times.

Besides that, I don't mind that people believe in God and all of that, it just bugs me when they have to affect my lifestyle and tell me exactly why I'm going to hell. I also don't like it that it prohibits most Christians from believing in gay rights.... it's silly.

What I don't understand is why most people still believe in it. There's extremists out there that want schools to stop teaching evolution because it goes against the bible... yet we have so much scientific research that has proven that evolution is why humans exist. Then other Christians say that they're just extreme and wrong, but yet they don't want to give up on the fact that there's some dude up in the sky that's watching over all of us.

Personally, I think it would make a lot more sense if we believed in something like Gaia or something similar, instead of some other supernatural being that judges each and every person on whether they are sinners and emphasizes the importance of humans.

Believe it or not people, we're useless. I really doubt that if there even was a God that he would give a shit about human beings.

Now I forget who said this, but it goes something like this:

"If all the insects were to go extinct, life as we know it would be destroyed in about 50 years. If humans were to be extinct, life as we know it would flourish."
18041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Ottawa, Ontario
Offline
Posted 11/12/12
Personally I am an atheist. I've been luckily been bless with good luck as I have both equally atheist family members and friends while still being in good standing with my more religious friends and family.

Living in the capital of Canada I got to meet and befriend a large amount of people from different religions which I hope gives me a broader understanding of people.

I remind myself that just as much as I want people to accept me as an atheist, I too have to accept them for being religious. I think I can see why people become religious. I think it's harsh to put everyone in the same category. Some of my religious friends really are good people. That and they all have different reasons why they believe in a God and such. It's hard to summarize why people are religious but personally I live by the fact that if my friend doesn't shove it down my throat and talks to me about it in a serious manner while understand where I stand in my point of view, then I will respect their views and hopefully they respect mine.

Still as a side note I think one the greatest things I envy compare to my faithful friends is the though of afterlife. As a atheist and a man who believes in science death is a pretty scary thought. It's the unknown and to think I will eventually just end... Is rather depressing. My friends though all have these paradise they will eventually ascend to. They live with (wherever an illusion or not) the mentality that there a great place waiting for them. It be nice if I could dream for the same.
Posted 11/12/12
Im atheist because I just cant believe some guy in the clouds is staring at us. He judges us and punishes us any way he seems fit too?! Seems like a A** to boot. oh he created Satan too (christains) so your god created evil ya think about next time you say he is pure of heart.
Posted 4/3/13
Nope, not at all. Don`t believe in following religions but I believe there is a God.
13475 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Fort Bragg, NC
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
I believe in God. and why? It will take too long to explain, sorry.
13074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
Personally I do not dislike religion, however I do have problems with the worshipers at times. I don't dislike them because of the whole conversion attempts thing, they do that out of good intentions; they legitimately believe that they are giving you salvation, and while I appreciate the sentiment I am comfy with my lack of religion. What I absolutely despise however is when they correlate every good thing that happens to be an act of their god, or their prayers.

Here's a story that someone else posted up on another website that will convey my point better than I could with my own words.

"Nothing good can happen without it being thanks to god...and those who prayed to god.
In fact, one time my daughter almost died. Went into the hospital and, long story short, spent more than two weeks there, $200,000 (well, insurance did anyway), attended by a veritable army of highly-trained doctors, specialists, nurses, therapists, and others, tons of different medications, surgical techniques, etc. And when it is all done and we finally get to go home I call my mom to tell her we're leaving the hospital and my daughter's going to be OK and she says "See, god always looks out for you! I had my whole church praying and he answered our prayers!" Never mind the PEOPLE who worked around the clock and had who knows how many years of school and experience between them. Never mind the fact that what she had would have been fatal up until about 1970 and god never did jack for the kids that had it before then. Never mind the kid that flat lined in the room next to ours (you want to cry like a baby, be in a pediatric hospital when a code blue goes off and watch all that).

I think that's why I hate the "believers" the most, because they never give credit where credit is properly due." - I'veBeenThatGuy

I know that praying is done out of good intentions in all, but seriously that's messed up.

2673 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Sexual Chocolate
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
I used to be pretty religious when I was younger, even went to church on days other than Easter. Then when I was 15 realized I liked girls, made no attempt to hide the fact, and got treated like shit by the religious people around me for it. That helped me realize that i'd been using religion as a coping mechanism for dealing with my childhood, I decided i'd rather be pissed off than accept that "God moves in mysterious ways", and for a while I was very anti-religion.

I've mellowed in that respect since then although I still dislike organized religion quite a bit and don't have nearly as much patience for dealing with religious folk as I do other people. At this point i'd probably consider myself somewhere in that non-religious area with atheist leanings.
53902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
Wow... zombie thread of the worst kind....
Posted 4/3/13

jeizii wrote:

Nope, not at all. Don`t believe in following religions but I believe there is a God.


i think this is true. I find eastern religions fascinating but i can't follow any religion for the simple fact that i am in control of my own mind and thoughts, i'm not following every word of a holy book without question, i like to question, i don't know what the motherfuck god is but my personal experience tells me their is one and i trust my intuition more than science.

but seriously how can you define god?
Posted 4/3/13

AruarianDance wrote:


jeizii wrote:

Nope, not at all. Don`t believe in following religions but I believe there is a God.


i think this is true. I find eastern religions fascinating but i can't follow any religion for the simple fact that i am in control of my own mind and thoughts, i'm not following every word of a holy book without question, i like to question, i don't know what the motherfuck god is but my personal experience tells me their is one and i trust my intuition more than science.

but seriously how can you define god?


I like your way of thinking. I believe there is a God out there that created a Universe but NOT the type of God Christians believe in. They believe in an all fearing God which is beyond human understanding. I think we can all understand 'God' if we question our lives and what we find 'normal' in society... we may just crack the codes of life

I turned away Catholicism because I found it pointless, taught me nothing but to fear which I shouldn`t feel.
Posted 4/3/13

jeizii wrote:


AruarianDance wrote:


jeizii wrote:

Nope, not at all. Don`t believe in following religions but I believe there is a God.


i think this is true. I find eastern religions fascinating but i can't follow any religion for the simple fact that i am in control of my own mind and thoughts, i'm not following every word of a holy book without question, i like to question, i don't know what the motherfuck god is but my personal experience tells me their is one and i trust my intuition more than science.

but seriously how can you define god?


I like your way of thinking. I believe there is a God out there that created a Universe but NOT the type of God Christians believe in. They believe in an all fearing God which is beyond human understanding. I think we can all understand 'God' if we question our lives and what we find 'normal' in society... we may just crack the codes of life

I turned away Catholicism because I found it pointless, taught me nothing but to fear which I shouldn`t feel.


haha i stopped speaking to my own father because of Catholicism, it did nothing for me. I cant stand the thought of ever being indoctrinated in to anything. i see people ignoring world issues thinking it's gods plan or believing simply to atone themselves for bad things... people really need to fear god just to act right, it's sad.

exactly! everything starts from inside... and well, there's too much we don't know, and too much we will never know to disregard all thought of "god". and problem is there's over 7 billion people on this earth and every one of them thinks they're right about everything... if we're all thoroughly enlightened every faith we hold can be accepted without scrutiny and ignorance, too many of us judge each other before bettering ourselves.

long story short, i don't know what god is, but i hope to get closer to finding out lol.
432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
I'm Presbyterian, have been all my life. Presbyterianism is a branch of Protestant Christianity and in my experience, I would say it tends to be more left-leaning and liberal than say Catholicism.

What I really like about my congregation is that it's fairly small and tight-knit, it gives me a sense of belonging which I value. I find that I am not stifled or expected to believe a set of rules or teachings unconditionally; I'm encouraged to ask questions and develop my own understanding of my faith and God.

I'm also a very scientific person (currently studying Biology) and I honestly do not see any conflict between my faith and what I learn in class. I believe in evolution and the more I learn about the world, the more I wonder at the complexity and brilliance of life and I find God reflected in every living creature. I guess I'm saying that mine is a God that manifests itself through the web of life from the smallest sprout to the biggest whale and this notion drives my impulse to value and protect all life on this planet.
65283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / N.C.
Offline
Posted 4/3/13
Nope got kicked out 4 Catholic schools and one Catholic pre-school. Mostly for asking questions. Always been a skeptic from grade 1.so was on to their shim sham from jump....
First  Prev  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.