First  Prev  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 4/25/13

shadorai wrote:

i'm not religious because i just think religion is ridiculous and unrealistic. i am a WAY more scientific kind of guy. science just makes so much more sense.
this is an example of a dumbass thing that happens with me and religious people ALL THE F**KIN' TIME= someone asks me about my religion, (usually christians, because that's all there really is around here) and i say, "oh. i'm atheist. i just think religion is kinda silly." and then the christian says, "dude! but if you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell!" and i say, "how am i going to hell if i don't even believe in religion?" and then they or i usually walk away.

although i do find some religions as interesting stories.


There are scientists who are religious, so it's possible to both have faith/religious belief and support science. Saying you're atheist because you believe in science isn't really a logical argument.
27499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
people who know science and still believe in god are just scared or old.
4047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
not sharing my asl
Offline
Posted 4/25/13

addchibineko wrote:


artsygirl21 wrote:

I'm an atheist, I don't take anybody's crap about religion. Religion staunches growth, whereas atheism is great, it expands our knowledge and allows questions. However, I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as there are many other dimensions to our universe (11 according to the String Theory), but not necessarily a "god" to rule that, there's no such thing.

Religion is one big fairy tale, people should realize that by now. How do you know if religion wasn't first created as an actually joke, and there were just too many people down the line of history to take it seriously?


To be honest, your argument could be turned around on you. How do you know that atheism wasn't created as a joke and others jumped on the bandwagon as you argue happened with religion? Also, historically speaking, Religion was created, for lack of a better word, because those in the ancient world could not explain the natural phenomenons around them and why certain things were the way they were.


But it must have some significance since religions have stuck around for so long with so many followers.
20095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoCal, HB
Online
Posted 4/25/13

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


shadorai wrote:

i'm not religious because i just think religion is ridiculous and unrealistic. i am a WAY more scientific kind of guy. science just makes so much more sense.
this is an example of a dumbass thing that happens with me and religious people ALL THE F**KIN' TIME= someone asks me about my religion, (usually christians, because that's all there really is around here) and i say, "oh. i'm atheist. i just think religion is kinda silly." and then the christian says, "dude! but if you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell!" and i say, "how am i going to hell if i don't even believe in religion?" and then they or i usually walk away.

although i do find some religions as interesting stories.


There are scientists who are religious, so it's possible to both have faith/religious belief and support science. Saying you're atheist because you believe in science isn't really a logical argument.


+1 Science and Religion are two separate things, one explains the how of the known universe and the other attempts to explain the why.

Personally, I am religious unofficially (I have my reasons)
Posted 4/25/13
nada Not a religous person my folks forced me to go to church when i was a kid. now i don't believe. Noting is proven.
18088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25
Offline
Posted 4/25/13

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


addchibineko wrote:


artsygirl21 wrote:

I'm an atheist, I don't take anybody's crap about religion. Religion staunches growth, whereas atheism is great, it expands our knowledge and allows questions. However, I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as there are many other dimensions to our universe (11 according to the String Theory), but not necessarily a "god" to rule that, there's no such thing.

Religion is one big fairy tale, people should realize that by now. How do you know if religion wasn't first created as an actually joke, and there were just too many people down the line of history to take it seriously?


To be honest, your argument could be turned around on you. How do you know that atheism wasn't created as a joke and others jumped on the bandwagon as you argue happened with religion? Also, historically speaking, Religion was created, for lack of a better word, because those in the ancient world could not explain the natural phenomenons around them and why certain things were the way they were.


But it must have some significance since religions have stuck around for so long with so many followers.


That's very true. I suppose it would have been better to say that religions were spread by man rather than created as one can't say for absolute certainty if religious texts are true or not. You either believe, are on the fence, or don't.
27499 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/25/13

TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


addchibineko wrote:


artsygirl21 wrote:

I'm an atheist, I don't take anybody's crap about religion. Religion staunches growth, whereas atheism is great, it expands our knowledge and allows questions. However, I'd like to think there's some sort of afterlife, as there are many other dimensions to our universe (11 according to the String Theory), but not necessarily a "god" to rule that, there's no such thing.

Religion is one big fairy tale, people should realize that by now. How do you know if religion wasn't first created as an actually joke, and there were just too many people down the line of history to take it seriously?


To be honest, your argument could be turned around on you. How do you know that atheism wasn't created as a joke and others jumped on the bandwagon as you argue happened with religion? Also, historically speaking, Religion was created, for lack of a better word, because those in the ancient world could not explain the natural phenomenons around them and why certain things were the way they were.


But it must have some significance since religions have stuck around for so long with so many followers.



if you argue like that, mcdonalds must be really good food.
i believe in ronald mcdonald.

Quarlo 
19343 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
Raised Catholic till I grew up and started to listen to what is being said during mass. After that how could I continue to believe in a religion that relies upon guilt to keep you in line?

To me The Bible is the largest selling work of fiction in the history of man.
14130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Granite Bay, CA
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
Nope! :)
46 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
i used to be but not anymore, i was actually much more depressed when i was , now i am happier than ever, no worries at all
2191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Florida, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/13
No, i never really believed in "religion".
8821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / trapped
Offline
Posted 4/26/13
Religion starts war. Fat people starts protest ..
17973 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / On Artaeum
Offline
Posted 4/26/13
I believe in The One Piece.
14050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/13

pandrasb wrote:


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


shadorai wrote:

i'm not religious because i just think religion is ridiculous and unrealistic. i am a WAY more scientific kind of guy. science just makes so much more sense.
this is an example of a dumbass thing that happens with me and religious people ALL THE F**KIN' TIME= someone asks me about my religion, (usually christians, because that's all there really is around here) and i say, "oh. i'm atheist. i just think religion is kinda silly." and then the christian says, "dude! but if you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell!" and i say, "how am i going to hell if i don't even believe in religion?" and then they or i usually walk away.

although i do find some religions as interesting stories.


There are scientists who are religious, so it's possible to both have faith/religious belief and support science. Saying you're atheist because you believe in science isn't really a logical argument.


+1 Science and Religion are two separate things, one explains the how of the known universe and the other attempts to explain the why.

Personally, I am religious unofficially (I have my reasons)


Sure you can do science and be religious. It's perfectly possible to compartimentalise your religious beliefs so that they stay outside the science. However if you apply the same scrutiny to religious claims as you're supposed to apply to scientific claims, religious claims will not stand up to that, leading to atheism if you define that as the lack of belief in gods (which I do but I'm no definition absolutist so I won't require you to as well).

By the way, most religions make claims about reality all the time. Be it that prayer works, that the earth is X amount of years old, that souls exist, those are all claims that are at least in theory verifiable, even if the source were outside our understanding (for the first and third) example.

And the "religion attempts to explain the why" is something I really dislike (not so much you for saying it, just the line in general). What why are you explaining? the why we're here? There doesn't need to be a why. Why implies intent. The moment you search for a why you've already superimposed the existence of something that has intent behind what you're trying to find out. It's a loaded question and one not worth answering. Even assuming a deity with a larger plan, if that deity doesn't give me a reason to go along with that, then why would I? Especcially in a universe that looks uncaring and exactly like what I'd expect if there was no plan (and no deity), why would I assume there was a reason at all.

The moment you step away from why are we here to something like why is an action moral however, that's where ethics come in and those can be purely secular and reason based. Sure you need value judgements as well, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. Even religious people have to evaluate their god, so it's not like religion lets you escape that, but critical thinking and evidence based decisions can get you from basic needs to moral decisions.

20095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoCal, HB
Online
Posted 4/26/13

sharkjack wrote:


pandrasb wrote:


TheRealEscargotpudding wrote:


shadorai wrote:

i'm not religious because i just think religion is ridiculous and unrealistic. i am a WAY more scientific kind of guy. science just makes so much more sense.
this is an example of a dumbass thing that happens with me and religious people ALL THE F**KIN' TIME= someone asks me about my religion, (usually christians, because that's all there really is around here) and i say, "oh. i'm atheist. i just think religion is kinda silly." and then the christian says, "dude! but if you don't believe in god, you'll go to hell!" and i say, "how am i going to hell if i don't even believe in religion?" and then they or i usually walk away.

although i do find some religions as interesting stories.


There are scientists who are religious, so it's possible to both have faith/religious belief and support science. Saying you're atheist because you believe in science isn't really a logical argument.


+1 Science and Religion are two separate things, one explains the how of the known universe and the other attempts to explain the why.

Personally, I am religious unofficially (I have my reasons)


Sure you can do science and be religious. It's perfectly possible to compartimentalise your religious beliefs so that they stay outside the science. However if you apply the same scrutiny to religious claims as you're supposed to apply to scientific claims, religious claims will not stand up to that, leading to atheism if you define that as the lack of belief in gods (which I do but I'm no definition absolutist so I won't require you to as well).

By the way, most religions make claims about reality all the time. Be it that prayer works, that the earth is X amount of years old, that souls exist, those are all claims that are at least in theory verifiable, even if the source were outside our understanding (for the first and third) example.

And the "religion attempts to explain the why" is something I really dislike (not so much you for saying it, just the line in general). What why are you explaining? the why we're here? There doesn't need to be a why. Why implies intent. The moment you search for a why you've already superimposed the existence of something that has intent behind what you're trying to find out. It's a loaded question and one not worth answering. Even assuming a deity with a larger plan, if that deity doesn't give me a reason to go along with that, then why would I? Especcially in a universe that looks uncaring and exactly like what I'd expect if there was no plan (and no deity), why would I assume there was a reason at all.

The moment you step away from why are we here to something like why is an action moral however, that's where ethics come in and those can be purely secular and reason based. Sure you need value judgements as well, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. Even religious people have to evaluate their god, so it's not like religion lets you escape that, but critical thinking and evidence based decisions can get you from basic needs to moral decisions.



In my opinion religions and science should stay far away from each other, to each his own.

Religion is not a science. I don't see a need to "apply the same scrutiny to religious claims as you're supposed to apply to scientific claims"

"religion attempts to explain the why...What why are you[not me, some religions] explaining? the why we're here?" yes you're right, I mean the purpose of our existence on earth or in general (not that I care about a purpose or a why) it is just something a religion attempts to explain. Don't ask me how or why, because I don't really know. All I know is that they try to do that and I guess it agitates a bunch of people. Also not all religions have a deity
First  Prev  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.