First  Prev  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

F40PH wrote:

Pastafarian. I've been touched by his noodly appendage.


RAMEN!!!
21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

bensonc120 wrote:
Idea of a benevolent, loving, "godlike" high power? Most people atheists or not, including myself, would welcome that idea. The idea of a christian god? The vindictive, jealous, callous, egotistical, self-serving creature as described in the bible? Absolutely hate it, sorry.


Agreed. "You should worship me, so I don't do the horrible things that I will do to you if you don't worship me." It's all very circular logic, and what I find worse (nay, perverse even) is the way many religious people in power abuse that fear of spiritual retribution in order to foster hate, closed mindedness, a disbelief in any concept of science that might contradict scriptures, and try to make their particular flavor of religion the law of the land. Religion is ultimately supposed to be a personal thing, between you and your god(s) of choice, after all. The tyranny of the majority is no excuse to claim the right to a theocracy, especially when that explicitly contradicts the Establishment Clause.

I won't posit that being personally religious is inherently negative, as it is a fair argument that there are plenty of open minded religious people. My argument here is not with them, because they aren't seeking to hinder progress. No, my issue is with those who actively want to hold us back from progress. The actions that may come about as a result of that desire often speak for themselves.

One such example: Michigan Republicans severely gutted an anti-bullying bill two years ago, then took it a step further, by inserting language that legitimizes the bullying, if they claim there is a religious or moral reason to do so. It effectively turned the bill into a pro-bullying bill. How is that supposed to protect anyone other than those doing the bullying? I know there are a lot of religious people who found that action as reprehensible as I did, but the arrogance of those who felt the need to add that language into the bill is just astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDK-ja8PLgg

The linked video is a response to that bill, just one of many.
145 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
I'm a Lutheran and am proud of it so yes i believe in God but religion is a different story. A quote from comedian Billy Gardell, "Now I believe in God but I don't believe in religion. Why? Because there are over 50,000 different religions out there. You know what means? Someone's gonna be wrong!". I'm a Lutheran because I like the people and their beliefs make sense to me. Also because if you do some research you will find so many facts that disprove evolution but that's a different topic.

Now about that "you will go to hell!" people. Those are the type of Christians that make us look bad. Most people are like that because they have the mind set of I am right and you are wrong. Like Billy said earlier, someone's gonna be wrong. It's your personal opinion and you are entitled to your own beliefs and people should't criticize you but people are dumb. Me, I may be a Christian but I'm not so bullheaded like most of us and I accept other people like atheists and gays(my best friend is an atheist). Why? Because we are all human beings and nothing can change that. No one person is better than another. Don't criticize other people because their beliefs don't match yours because you are no better than them and they are no better than you.
126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/13
I'm a christian I think that god makes just as much sense as Evolution because think of it this way. Christianity In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth......were did god come from ? Evolution the Big Bang occurred approximately 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years ago,[2][3][4][5][6][7] which is thus considered the age of the universe.[8][9][10][11] After this time, the Universe was in an extremely hot and dense state and began expanding rapidly. After the initial expansion, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow energy to be converted into various subatomic particles, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. Though simple atomic nuclei could have formed quickly, thousands of years were needed before the appearance of the first electrically neutral atoms. The first element produced was hydrogen, along with traces of helium and lithium. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity to form stars and galaxies, and the heavier elements were synthesized either within stars or during supernovae......still how did the universe get there in the first place ? see there both just as believable. The proof that evolution has is all scientific and can be proved wrong at any day and any second. The proof the Christianity has is The Bible and i have experience some things that cant be proved wrong to me ever. And i am a baptist and one of the more layed back ones and i am NOT a Westboro Baptist Church jerk those people give Christians a bad name But any way people can say that its not true but i know it is ! its not really a fact for you guys that i have experience some things that cant be proved wrong but why don't you go see for your self weather you believe in it or not.And at least study up on both things like i did.
21561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 4/27/13

TheBaconLazer wrote:
Also because if you do some research you will find so many facts that disprove evolution but that's a different topic.


I know where you stand on evolution, but regardless of where anyone stands on it, I would like to suggest that you watch this. It is a little over an hour long, and while it may not convince you personally, it is indeed related to the subject of the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=CW9G2YVtBYc
5870 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Pearl of the Orie...
Offline
Posted 4/28/13
not totally religious coz there few things that i dont believe in my religion but i truly believe that there is only ONE God.
in my early age i thought that if you're religion is different than mine you're not religious but when i reach my college life, i APPRECIATE other religion and i want to visit there churches someday.
Posted 4/28/13
I believe there is more to everything, no coincidences.
16026 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/13
I'm an atheist but I believe that religion had a large part in our history and where we are now, especially in keeping society in order but we most likely dont need religion for that reason now.
14491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/28/13
If you want to understand how religion motivates positively and encourages those who live their faith, then research the following.

"It was Feb. 2, 1943, and the U.S.A.T. Dorchester was crowded carrying 902 service men, merchant seamen and civilian workers to the United Kingdom."

It was that night that wartime tragedy became peaceful valor.
589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / London, UK
Offline
Posted 4/28/13
Personally, I don't think the existence of god(s) can be definitively proved or disproved. I'm an atheist, because I think it's far more likely that there's no such thing, and even if there were I wouldn't like to dedicate my life to picking and serving a religion (which, IMO, is a human social construct more than a divine one) from the multitude of possibilities. What, exactly, are the chances of having chosen the right god to serve? If there is some kind of godlike being(s), I'd assume they'd be wise and kind enough to forgive people for lacking the resources to know.


leyton1998 wrote:

I'm an atheist but I believe that religion had a large part in our history and where we are now, especially in keeping society in order but we most likely dont need religion for that reason now.


Religion has also had a large part in our history through all the wars started and people oppressed in the name of it.

I'm of the opinion that organised religion in general causes more harm than good, but if having faith improves people's lives, I wouldn't want to deny them that, as long as they extend the same courtesy to non-believers and believers of different faiths.
14050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/13

BK_2o167 wrote:

I'm a christian I think that god makes just as much sense as Evolution because think of it this way. Christianity In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth......were did god come from ? Evolution the Big Bang occurred approximately 13.798 ± 0.037 billion years ago,[2][3][4][5][6][7] which is thus considered the age of the universe.[8][9][10][11] After this time, the Universe was in an extremely hot and dense state and began expanding rapidly. After the initial expansion, the Universe cooled sufficiently to allow energy to be converted into various subatomic particles, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. Though simple atomic nuclei could have formed quickly, thousands of years were needed before the appearance of the first electrically neutral atoms. The first element produced was hydrogen, along with traces of helium and lithium. Giant clouds of these primordial elements later coalesced through gravity to form stars and galaxies, and the heavier elements were synthesized either within stars or during supernovae......still how did the universe get there in the first place ? see there both just as believable. The proof that evolution has is all scientific and can be proved wrong at any day and any second. The proof the Christianity has is The Bible and i have experience some things that cant be proved wrong to me ever. And i am a baptist and one of the more layed back ones and i am NOT a Westboro Baptist Church jerk those people give Christians a bad name But any way people can say that its not true but i know it is ! its not really a fact for you guys that i have experience some things that cant be proved wrong but why don't you go see for your self weather you believe in it or not.And at least study up on both things like i did.


One explanation is magic man dunnit, the other is a well studied set of observations and explanations for these observations that go back all the way to the earliest point in thime we can do any observation of, all the way up to the present, bringing new predictions along with it that can be tested and verified, leading to technological and medical advancements everyday. Calling our current understanding of the origin of the universe, the formation of stars and planets, abiogenesis, evolution and science in general 'just as believable' because neither fully answers a question that may very well be a nonsensical question due to it being asked from an incoherent model of reality (since time itself isn't a simple thing in most modern physical models of reality), is a spit in the face to everyone who has worked to advance our understanding of existence. If all you want to say is that science doesn't prove that ultimately a god was behind all of it after all, congratulations, you've just made up another god of the gaps. Instead of thinking about stuff like the origin of the universe with completely inadequate frames of references, I'm perfectly willing to admit an all powerful entity could do anything, but then again that leads to solophsism and once you're there everything becomes meaningless. Instead I'll concern myself with what we actually can figure stuff out about and reject all other claims as inconclusive at best.

By the way I totally get that the Westborough baptist church isn't in any way representative of baptists or christains in general. Just putting that out there as an atheist.



Marsev wrote:

I believe there is more to everything, no coincidences.


Are you saying there's something messing with my dicerolls? because if something's interfering with the way the dice come down they've got some explaining to do to me about my DnD sessions. But in all seriousness.

The sad part about wha you just said, is that you probably mean this in a really positive way, even though from where I view that, it's absolutely horrible.

I can deal with the idea that we are the way we are because we aren't the product of intent. The fact that our own cells can rebel against us and kill us. That this happens to kids. That over 99% of the universe is incredibly hostile to us. That kids die of the most horrid diseases, that some poeple are born with birth defects based on stupid chance outcomes of gene shuffling. That people die because they just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or because some drunk driver happened to drive at full speed crashing into an unsuspecting pedestrian. What purpose could that possibly serve? How could that be anything but cold coincidence? If you're telling someone not to be sad because a loved one has died, because there's a reason for everything, I find that repugnant (even if you meant it to be comforting). Someone who has just lost someone dear to them and you're telling them there's a reason for everything, makes it sound like they shouldn't be as sad as they are. To hell with that. This world doesn't care about us one bit and we have all the reason in the world to be sad if something terrible happens to the people we love.

I have no idea what possible purpose we could have in the world and neither do I care. People can find their own goals in life to live towards. Intellectual fullfilment, the joy of seeing a person smile in appreciation, seeing new things in general. Life is full of great stuff without the need to imbue it with some grand purpose.

All of this is encapsulated and said far better in this hilarious video from Tim Minchin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1-_PeExMs
Posted 4/28/13
I'm a Koalaism. Why? Cause it's my own made up religion LMAO
21848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F
Offline
Posted 4/28/13
We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing and all-powerful god who creates faulty humans & then blames them for his own mistakes.


Posted 4/28/13 , edited 4/28/13

sharkjack wrote:


Marsev wrote:

I believe there is more to everything, no coincidences.


Are you saying there's something messing with my dicerolls? because if something's interfering with the way the dice come down they've got some explaining to do to me about my DnD sessions. But in all seriousness.

The sad part about wha you just said, is that you probably mean this in a really positive way, even though from where I view that, it's absolutely horrible.

I can deal with the idea that we are the way we are because we aren't the product of intent. The fact that our own cells can rebel against us and kill us. That this happens to kids. That over 99% of the universe is incredibly hostile to us. That kids die of the most horrid diseases, that some poeple are born with birth defects based on stupid chance outcomes of gene shuffling. That people die because they just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, or because some drunk driver happened to drive at full speed crashing into an unsuspecting pedestrian. What purpose could that possibly serve? How could that be anything but cold coincidence? If you're telling someone not to be sad because a loved one has died, because there's a reason for everything, I find that repugnant (even if you meant it to be comforting). Someone who has just lost someone dear to them and you're telling them there's a reason for everything, makes it sound like they shouldn't be as sad as they are. To hell with that. This world doesn't care about us one bit and we have all the reason in the world to be sad if something terrible happens to the people we love.

I have no idea what possible purpose we could have in the world and neither do I care. People can find their own goals in life to live towards. Intellectual fullfilment, the joy of seeing a person smile in appreciation, seeing new things in general. Life is full of great stuff without the need to imbue it with some grand purpose.

All of this is encapsulated and said far better in this hilarious video from Tim Minchin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1-_PeExMs


If someone was to ask me for comfort you'd think that i would tell them words of comfort. I don't believe in telling people things, they discover their own reasons. Your happiness is dependent on yourself. Humans look for goals and discovering things but the world doesn't care much for the human need for discovery and still moves in its own accord. What irks me about normal people is that they act like they contribute anything to science apart from having sex. The biggest scientists through out time, some religious and some not. All these arguments about what's real and what's not is boring and without cause.
Posted 4/28/13
no but tbh the Bible is a really good book, it's all bullshit, but it's still clever. I could never think of a story like that one with the snake and the apple, props to whoever wrote it!
First  Prev  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.