Remove this ad
First  Prev  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
12190 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / San Diego
Offline
Posted 5/3/13
I am not particularly religious, but I like to study about religions. They are great as a moral code to live by and the literature is great. Now, Do I believe in a Creator, Maker, God, whatever you want to call him/her? YES This universe is too well organized to be created out of chance haha. There is Math everywhere! force, mass, time, not to mention everything we cant perceive, i think our creators favorite subject was math XD
what I dont like about most religions tho is how they try to get in our creators head and say he/she did this for so and so reason and so on.

My conclusion would be, mmm science studies how our creator did things and religion tries to tell us why.
And of course any time religion tries to tell us how, there is bound to be conflict and vice versa.

bleh complicated subject, need to watch something funny...
Posted 5/4/13
don't no i see religion used as rules on what people could do in the bast to get people to behave them self as they did not have much back then so they used that to drive them forward

well i have no religion
but i not rile worried about it i just live for to day and get on with my life

but i seen no reason in believing in something that's not beneficial to me like i said i just live my life to my own choosing and follow the rules that set by the government.

spend to much time believing and worrying well that's your life gone in my eyes

well if there is a god out there well fine if there is not one well fine am still going to what i wont with my life
11869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 5/8/13 , edited 5/8/13
I think religion is very important for a growing society (which is what we are) though when it's taken advantage of, and used to take advantage of others, in other words when you start to bastardize religion that's when it becomes something of an abomination. Also I really hate it when people say their "scientific so they don't believe in religion" Physical science is meant for studying the everyday and the unknown since you can't refute religion (ie God existing, where you go after you die etc.) that means it's a possibility if you really call yourself a scientist you would NEVER deny possibility (if everything was known there would be no reason for science). Anyway things that are known and unknown go hand in hand they're are both important facets of life. Science is meant for shaping the unknown into something that is known religion is more for accepting the unknown as is and worshiping it for that fact.
Lol with that rant over I myself am not religious in fact I hate religion since it's the cause for a vast majority of the wars all throughout history. But I still understand the importance of it's teachings for sentient beings like humans.

Edit: Also the bible is a great read there are some really amazing verses in it (not religious in any way and still think it's important to read the bible =P)
11767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Arkansas
Offline
Posted 5/8/13
I used to be christian now atheist. I used to be tolerant but it just pisses me off now. I'm not a Reddit atheist who yells at religious people and say how much my life is better than theirs. However I think the world would be a better place without it.
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/8/13 , edited 5/8/13

Dropplet wrote:

For all of you who say you don't have a religion and are athiest actually do have a religion. Athiesim is a religion, it's the religion of not believing in a God. Yes you may not go to a place of worship BUT is something that you put first in your life. It could be money, science, or even yourself.



If Atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby, and not playing any sports is a sport.
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

Dropplet wrote:

I am very religious because it just gives me something to believe in and it makes me happy. I'd rather live a life thinking I have a purpose in life and going to heaven than be not believing and feeling like I was here just by chance.

For all of you who say you don't have a religion and are athiest actually do have a religion. Athiesim is a religion, it's the religion of not believing in a God. Yes you may not go to a place of worship BUT is something that you put first in your life. It could be money, science, or even yourself.

I know Christianity is flawed but what isn't in this world? People expect us to be perfect but we're not. So what if our bible may have flaws in it? Maybe it isn't flawed. it might be that we either read it wrong or there's things there we don't know. Science is flawed sometimes like for example, evolution that we came from apes. So far we have not proven that theory so we don't know it's true.

For some reason people get this crazy idea that Christians or anyone with a religion think the world is magic and we don't believe in science. For me I believe in science a lot and I usually mix it with God. Like for instance the Big Bang Theory. Maybe that's how God created the world. Though you cannot say that a lot of the stories in the bible aren't true because a lot of it has evidence of it happening and is written in a lot of other religions.


I just wanna say I commend you for saying these things, but I just want to point out that Christianity is not flawed, but religion system is. Christianity is basically knowing that Jesus Christ died for us on the cross for our sins and if you say that Christianity is flawed means that you don't believe that Jesus died for our sins. Here is a link to get to know God better. http://www.gotquestions.org/
and what Christianity is. http://www.gotquestions.org/Christianity.html
God loves you~ =)
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

hmmmmname wrote:

Also the bible is a great read there are some really amazing verses in it (not religious in any way and still think it's important to read the bible =P



Yes it is a wonder way to model your life after, for example:

How to beat your slaves correctly:
Exodus 21:20-21 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

How to rape women:
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 "28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."

How to force your wife to have a miscarriage if you suspect infidelity:
Numbers 5:12-31 "“Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him 13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act), 14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure— 15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah[a] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.

16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord. 17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. 18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. 19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell. 22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

Someone before said it best, you can find positives in the bible if you look, but it's like trying to find corn in shit, you will find a few but is it really worth it?

14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

FYI Jesus doesn't exist but for the sake of argument, let's say Jesus really died for our sins, what's the big deal? If I am Jesus or God or Zeus and I can resurrect after I die, then I would die for all your sins as well! It's not like it's a big sacrifice... sleep for 3 days and then wake up. What is so admirable about that? Actually instead of dying for everyone's sins, if I were Jesus I would make sure all the children in the world have food, shelter, and a bright future, cure disease, end wars, protect innocent people from crimes, provide for worthy charities, etc. Just dying (and reviving again) doesn't really do anything practical and just seems a lame attempt at grandstanding and self glorification.
17729 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / Wanderer in Texas
Offline
Posted 5/8/13 , edited 5/8/13
I'm very religious, why? I believe because it was the way I was brought up. If anything, someone converts to a different religion because something happened within their lives that made them stop believing or saw no point in it at all. As a CHRISTIAN, our job is to help those who are lost throughout the world. Although, it PISSES me off whenever some Christian's target non-believers or even other Christian's of their way of living life. I mean, Jesus told us NOT TO JUDGE other people regardless of homosexuality or beliefs. Even though, we as a religion, totally know isn't a good thing. Doesn't mean you can totally hate on them, if they want to be homosexual, BLUE, RED, or WHATEVER let them be. Every sin is equal, so being prideful and homosexuality is measured the same in God's view. I mean, that's why Jesus died for our sins, so we don't have to suffer for such selfish things. We're supposed to treat others the way Jesus did. If anything, everything is SCREWED up because of those types of people. It makes us Christian's look bad, but what can you do?
11807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Louisiana
Offline
Posted 5/8/13
Not really religious. This world is too messed up to have a loving and caring god. Not knocking anyones believes though. Not saying god isn't real either.
Posted 5/8/13
Let's get this straight:


God made man to worship him.
God made us faulty.
God punishes us for our mistakes because we are faulty.
God is a narcissistic little bitch who needs our constant praise and admiration.

Pretty useless and moronic if you ask me.


enjoy this image and the quote attached:


3523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/8/13 , edited 5/8/13
I am not religious. However, I respect any person(s)/entities ability to manipulate millions of people.
Posted 5/8/13

bensonc120 wrote:
How to rape women:
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 "28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days."


It's a wonder there are so many unmarried folk around.

3523 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

Iainfixie wrote:

Let's get this straight:




Really, Bill Maher? You could have quoted Einstein, Isaac Newton, Richard Feynman, Neil Degresse Tyson, Descartes, Lawrence Krauss, Richard Dawkins.. Jules Verne, Stephen Hawkins Thomas friggan Aquinas....

But you went with Bill Maher?




Sogno- 
16540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/8/13
I am a Christian because I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead to forgive us of our sins, and I have faith in God.

I also believe in being kind to others even when we don't agree. It's not my place to judge others.
First  Prev  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.