First  Prev  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

DeusCreed wrote:

I do not believe in gods, spirits, or anything like that. Why?, Because it has no base. The religion did much more damage than help.
There were myths, legends and religions to explain things our limited knowledge of the universe can not. Just because we do not have an answer yet, we should not believe in something random.
Some people need religion, so there is nothing to do.
The path of reason that I find it is better for the simple fact that we have not a final truth, no such thing exists, we can believe in things more improbable, even crazy if it is supported by evidence and proof. A religious receives its truth written in stone, such a thing does not make sense.
We are a young race, we must continue our way.
Sorry for my english!, and of course all of this is from my limited POV!

Our base as Christians is the bible. We believe that the word of God is true especially when Jesus Christ says that I am the way, the truth, and the life. Ok it seems that you might think that religion has done more harm than done, but it helped with the justice system because a lot of the principles were based off of the bible. Also you may be thinking of cults and other religions, but true biblical christianity is so much more than that. It is following in God's footsteps and getting over our sinful nature. Sin is what disrupts our lives because we live in the world not of the world. The acts of sinful nature leads to "sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchary, idolatry and withcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissentions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies and the like. (Galatians 5:19-20 NIV). We must believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins. With Jesus Christ dying on the cross this made us able to be able to be freed from sin by praying to God. We need to be relent in God because He knows the right way and plan for you. Also cults are in some religions that you may not even know. Some churches are cults like Good News Mission church or Lakewood Church. Even the Roman Catholic church is a heresy because over time corruption was rampant in the church primarily for money and politics had a great effect. One big point is that Mary is not a co-mediator that we entrust our cares and petitions, but Jesus Christ is the only mediator that we entrust our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5) It is true that myths, legends, and religion cannot explain things passed our human knowledge because only God knows. God is omniscience, and omnipotent, and omnipresence. The gospel was made to be shared to everyone so anyone can receive salvation if they so believe that Jesus Christ is their lord and savior.
You see your path of reason is flawed while God's reason is perfect. God is justice. He will handle everything according to his plan and He will inevitably be the one to send you to Heaven or Hell. You can say that there is no evidence, but are you sure? There are many historical records, archeological research and the bible has not been disproved by any historical research.
I don't believe there are people who are atheists because the logic does not make sense. Thinking about it in this way. How can the world be made with life supporting features while so many other planets do not have such features and why is the planets so uniquely made? Because God designed everything since God is omnipotent. He has the power to do everything He wants. He could have made our lives suffer even worse than what we can imagine. He could have left Satan with all the power he wants and control Earth, but He did not do that because He loves us. In Job's case, God knew that whatever Satan did to Job, Satan would fail, when he suffered so many things losing a family, his work, and being rebuked by his friends, but He still was faithful to God. Job would be a faithful man, but if Satan was unchecked do you know how many people will fall into sin easily and you are not getting God's help. That is a sad thought. And an even sadder thought is that one can think that when someone dies they turn into dust and rot in the ground, rather than thinking you have the opportunity to go to heaven free from sin and suffering and heaven would be unimaginable that one cannot even describe what it is like, well some description was given by Paul, but even He said that it is beyond human understanding. So I will pray for you that you may understand that God is the truth. God loves you~
17739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / Wanderer in Texas
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

Sogno- wrote:

I am a Christian because I believe that Jesus Christ rose from the dead to forgive us of our sins, and I have faith in God.

I also believe in being kind to others even when we don't agree. It's not my place to judge others.


airmaster2000 wrote:


Amen brothers! No one's perfect. God is good all the time.
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

bensonc120 wrote:


FYI Jesus doesn't exist but for the sake of argument, let's say Jesus really died for our sins, what's the big deal? If I am Jesus or God or Zeus and I can resurrect after I die, then I would die for all your sins as well! It's not like it's a big sacrifice... sleep for 3 days and then wake up. What is so admirable about that? Actually instead of dying for everyone's sins, if I were Jesus I would make sure all the children in the world have food, shelter, and a bright future, cure disease, end wars, protect innocent people from crimes, provide for worthy charities, etc. Just dying (and reviving again) doesn't really do anything practical and just seems a lame attempt at grandstanding and self glorification.

We Christians believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and Fully human. That being said Jesus Christ had power and was able to use it for the sinners. This would be called miracles. Jesus lived his life sinless, but chose to suffer through all the whippings, torture, ignorance from people, and humiliation. His mother was even watching him getting tortured and people spit at him and threw stuff at him. Also he was impaled by a spear. He was nailed on the cross and during that time they didn't need to nail the feet, but they did it anyway. Also everytime you breathe when you are crucified, your body goes up and exhaling you drop down. So people would end up suffocating because they couldn't take the pain. You see Jesus Christ was dying on the cross while He was sinless, but He still ended up taking up all our sins. His death would be a mark that through Jesus Christ God can come to us because He was human and God. It is primarily because of sin that we suffer through death. The consequences of sin is death. I would say that it was people's faults for keeping their money(greed) while they could give to the poor, humans created war (Pridefulness and wrath), laziness, corruption and many other sins make our lives like this. God did not make the world perfect, but it was primarily Satan's doing that the world is not perfect. Dying and then reviving is practical it shows that He is God. The only person in the bible that was revived without a person around is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ also help lead the disciples and even Paul(wasn't a part of the 12 disciples) was lead.
19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/8/13

airmaster2000 wrote:

You can say that there is no evidence, but are you sure?


Yes I'm sure. Zero evidence, ever.


airmaster2000 wrote:

There are many historical records, archeological research and the bible has not been disproved by any historical research.


This is false. Stories in the bible have been proven to be false. Spend 3 days inside a whale with me and I will explain all the details to you.


airmaster2000 wrote:
I don't believe there are people who are atheists because the logic does not make sense.


Again, false. You don't believe there are people who are Atheists? I am an Atheist, there are many others in just this thread alone that have stated that they are Atheists. We are real, we exist unlike the mythical christian god. We are not figments of your imagination.


airmaster2000 wrote:
Thinking about it in this way. How can the world be made with life supporting features while so many other planets do not have such features and why is the planets so uniquely made? Because God designed everything since God is omnipotent. He has the power to do everything He wants.


I want to point out a tactic that many bible thumpers like to use when trying to argue creationism/intelligent design theories. Here is a great example of it where he presumes only two possible explanations to how the world was made. By trying to discredit one theory, he will then say that is support for the 2nd "theory." The truth is there are many possibilities and no one know the answer. There are various scientific theories on how the world happened, there are 20 major religions and thousands of minor religions all with their version of what happened.


airmaster2000 wrote:
And an even sadder thought is that one can think that when someone dies they turn into dust and rot in the ground, rather than thinking you have the opportunity to go to heaven free from sin and suffering and heaven would be unimaginable that one cannot even describe what it is like, well some description was given by Paul, but even He said that it is beyond human understanding. So I will pray for you that you may understand that God is the truth. God loves you~


And here is why so many otherwise intelligent human beings turn completely irrational when it comes to religion. I have seen this in family members, close friends, co-workers... To think about religion is to think about your own mortality ultimately. It is not a good feeling to consider the possibility that we cease to exist when we die. A lot of people, myself included, would like to live in a world where our spirits and those of our lost loved family members and friends would reunite and spend the rest of eternity together, happily and under the protection of an almighty benevolent higher power. I would love to live forever, see my grandparents and friends again and not be parted from people forever. But reality sucks sometimes, actually a lot of times, when compared to fantasy so people want and choose to believe something that is completely made up. Ultimately you can't escape reality forever and those who cling to their delusions still have to share the same fate as everyone else when their time is up.
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

bensonc120 wrote:


airmaster2000 wrote:

You can say that there is no evidence, but are you sure?


Yes I'm sure. Zero evidence, ever.


airmaster2000 wrote:

There are many historical records, archeological research and the bible has not been disproved by any historical research.


This is false. Stories in the bible have been proven to be false. Spend 3 days inside a whale with me and I will explain all the details to you.


airmaster2000 wrote:
I don't believe there are people who are atheists because the logic does not make sense.


Again, false. You don't believe there are people who are Atheists? I am an Atheist, there are many others in just this thread alone that have stated that they are Atheists. We are real, we exist unlike the mythical christian god. We are not figments of your imagination.


airmaster2000 wrote:
Thinking about it in this way. How can the world be made with life supporting features while so many other planets do not have such features and why is the planets so uniquely made? Because God designed everything since God is omnipotent. He has the power to do everything He wants.


I want to point out a tactic that many bible thumpers like to use when trying to argue creationism/intelligent design theories. Here is a great example of it where he presumes only two possible explanations to how the world was made. By trying to discredit one theory, he will then say that is support for the 2nd "theory." The truth is there are many possibilities and no one know the answer. There are various scientific theories on how the world happened, there are 20 major religions and thousands of minor religions all with their version of what happened.


airmaster2000 wrote:
And an even sadder thought is that one can think that when someone dies they turn into dust and rot in the ground, rather than thinking you have the opportunity to go to heaven free from sin and suffering and heaven would be unimaginable that one cannot even describe what it is like, well some description was given by Paul, but even He said that it is beyond human understanding. So I will pray for you that you may understand that God is the truth. God loves you~


And here is why so many otherwise intelligent human beings turn completely irrational when it comes to religion. I have seen this in family members, close friends, co-workers... To think about religion is to think about your own mortality ultimately. It is not a good feeling to consider the possibility that we cease to exist when we die. A lot of people, myself included, would like to live in a world where our spirits and those of our lost loved family members and friends would reunite and spend the rest of eternity together, happily and under the protection of an almighty benevolent higher power. I would love to live forever, see my grandparents and friends again and not be parted from people forever. But reality sucks sometimes, actually a lot of times, when compared to fantasy so people want and choose to believe something that is completely made up. Ultimately you can't escape reality forever and those who cling to their delusions still have to share the same fate as everyone else when their time is up.

OKAY TRY TO AT LEAST RESEARCH FURTHER BEFORE SAYING THE BIBLE IS FALSE. YOU WILL SEE THE EVIDENCE THAT PROVE THE BIBLE IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. HOW CAN YOU SAY IT IS FALSE WHEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN RESEARCH. THE BIGGEST EVIDENCE COMES FROM ARCHEOLOGICAL RESEARCH.
I don't believe atheist exist because GOD IS REAL. You are merely agnostic. Atheist are people who research heavily and found that there is no God. I don't think you have been researching a lot. Try reading the whole bible and tell me if you think what you think about it. Even if there are many possibilities, the possibility of my God creating everything as we know it is great because how the stars are so uniquely placed even some scientists have found themselves to believe in some greater being creating everything that we know.
Look here you MAY THINK THAT. But people also see just dying on earth and not having afterlife is stupid. And you are presuming reality as without living eternally, but God grants us the access simply by having an intimate relationship. If you want to believe then go for it, nothing is holding you back except for your beliefs. And I think you are misunderstanding religion. If you think religion is about one's morality you are wrong. I don't believe that religion is good because it is a very worldly view on what we believe. But what I believe is that I have an intimate relationship with God. It is NOT mortality, but simply it is about GOD. I don;t know if you have experienced miracles or signs or even Christians trying to reach out to you, but God is compelling me through the Holy Spirit to open up your heart to the idea that He exist in your life and He wants you to be his son. God simply wants a relationship with you THAT IS IT! He wants your complete obedience and faith.
28839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13

bensonc120 wrote:

And here is why so many otherwise intelligent human beings turn completely irrational when it comes to religion.

Hmm, I would hesitate to call it "irrational."

For Christians, I believe we have good reasons to believe in what we do. I actually had a nice & civil debate with a fellow CR member here, Erikku about this. If u are interested, but I will warn u, it's kinda long - 7 posts in total between him and mine ; it's on page 45 of this thread (http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-771939/are-you-religious-if-so-why?fpid=42966111).
20148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / vail, arizona
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
There is no hell, there is no great life after death...
You only live once, don't bring yourself down believing that something is real when it actually doesn't exist.....
15027 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
I'm Catholic Christian. I think atheism is silly and doesn't make any sense. God, the Bible and science actually make sense not like Atheism and man made up theories. Don't like what I said? I don't care. I don't expect anyone to understand or RESPECT my beliefs just like I might not understand or respect yours... Because if I did then it'd make me weak on my beliefs... STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF and stop crying when other try to convert you... Instead assert your own beliefs or just simply say not interested... Stop being a bunch of cry babies.
21055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13
It would be hard to describe what I believe as a form of any one religion. I am very tolerant of beliefs, I'm quite accepting of peoples views when they are positively oriented, and there are things I agree with and disagree with in theism or atheistic belief. If people ask me I tend to state what I was raised as: a Lutheran (a denomination of protestantism which is also a denomination of Christianity). Now don't get me wrong, there is plenty about even in my own religion that I disagree with: predestination, the devaluing of every other religion because if you believe in this religion, then every other religion MUST be wrong, and other topics I cannot think of simply off the top of my head.

What I fail to understand is the lack of human understanding when it comes to debates involving religion (or a lack-thereof). What do I mean? For one, I don't understand why many atheists first snipe at ANY religion is that they believe that science and religion are a direct contradiction of each other. I cannot for the life of me understand this; I am a firm believer that you can have both science and religion co-exist, and be prosperous. Just because you believe in the scientific method, doesn't mean you can't have faith, or believe in something beyond explanation/understanding. Science can only explain so much, and will never be able to explain everything. Does that make me believe that atheists are wrong in their belief? No, but in the same token I wish they give me the same respect in mine.

I am severely bothered by the hate-flinging on both sides of the spectrum. People should be allowed to believe what they wish as long as it does not demean/destroy/harm/affect others. There are going to be idiots out there to use their beliefs as excuses for their actions, that is the fault of the PERSON, NOT the foundation of the belief. As much as there are people out there that act stupid in the name of their religion, there are also people out there that act stupid in the name of atheism. Religion gets a bad rap because it is a brand for EVERYTHING, so it seems easy to join the side that doesn't have its name tarnished as much. But this isn't a proper excuse to bash people simply because they believe in religion.

Okay... sorry for the rambling but just wanted to throw that out there.

Edit: There is one other thing I tend to dislike about religions: that is the fact that they tend to focus a-lot of death. For instance: when you die you will go to heaven or hell in Christianity, so you better repent now!!! (this is an example people) But, I hate the extreme focus on death. I would rather there be a focus on living! If I was born into a world that I can interact with, why would I focus on the end of life where I can no-longer interact with the current world of my existence? Why should I focus so much on something that hasn't occurred yet, even though it could occur at almost any point in the future? We should focus on leading fulfilling LIVES, instead of padding our current life awaiting our DEATH. While death might be everlasting, Life is most certainly fleeting, which is why we should focus on it in the here and now, while keeping an end-goal in mind (how do you want to be remembered/feel when YOU die?) If we focus more on how we live, instead of what happens after we die, we are more likely to live a more productive life and feel content in our passing. While I disagree with the outlook many religions use, I don't inherently find them wrong simply because of this, I just believe the priorities are incorrect.
19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13

airmaster2000 wrote:
OKAY TRY TO AT LEAST RESEARCH FURTHER BEFORE SAYING THE BIBLE IS FALSE. YOU WILL SEE THE EVIDENCE THAT PROVE THE BIBLE IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. HOW CAN YOU SAY IT IS FALSE WHEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN RESEARCH. THE BIGGEST EVIDENCE COMES FROM ARCHEOLOGICAL RESEARCH.


Look, since the Bronze age when imaginative shepherds wrote the first fantasy novel known as the bible, people have claimed evidence that will prove the existence of the events written in the bible. Every single time that "evidence" has been refuted as fraud or mistakes. There are no magical archaeology finds of noah's ark, or the ten commandments, or anything that proves any of the stories in the bible. That is fact. You can continue to write in caps, keep claiming evidence, but the fact is you have not mentioned one single evidence and that is not a coincidence.


airmaster2000 wrote:
I don't believe atheist exist because GOD IS REAL. You are merely agnostic. Atheist are people who research heavily and found that there is no God. I don't think you have been researching a lot. Try reading the whole bible and tell me if you think what you think about it. Even if there are many possibilities, the possibility of my God creating everything as we know it is great because how the stars are so uniquely placed even some scientists have found themselves to believe in some greater being creating everything that we know.


Atheists just means someone who does not believe in the existence of god. Agnostic is someone who doesn't know and believes that certain things are possibly unknowable. Intelligent design is the very opposite of intelligent. The possibility of your god creating the world as described in the genesis is zero due to the self-evident inconsistencies.


airmaster2000 wrote:
Look here you MAY THINK THAT. But people also see just dying on earth and not having afterlife is stupid. And you are presuming reality as without living eternally, but God grants us the access simply by having an intimate relationship. If you want to believe then go for it, nothing is holding you back except for your beliefs. And I think you are misunderstanding religion. If you think religion is about one's morality you are wrong. I don't believe that religion is good because it is a very worldly view on what we believe.


You are misunderstanding the whole point. It's not about what I want or choose to believe, it is about what evidence do we have. There is no evidence of eternal life. All evidence point toward life ceasing at death, as depressing as that thought is to all of us.


airmaster2000 wrote:
But what I believe is that I have an intimate relationship with God. It is NOT mortality, but simply it is about GOD. I don;t know if you have experienced miracles or signs or even Christians trying to reach out to you, but God is compelling me through the Holy Spirit to open up your heart to the idea that He exist in your life and He wants you to be his son. God simply wants a relationship with you THAT IS IT! He wants your complete obedience and faith.


You do not have an "intimate relationship" or any relationship with god because god doesn't exist. It is all in your head. I never understood why religious people always say they are not religious and instead say they have a "relationship with god" do they teach that propaganda rhetoric to you guys in church? Religious = cult = relationship with god = whatever, semantics is not important. Let's call a spade what it is.

I don't understand how your god is able to communicate that he wants you to "open my heart?" Did you share or tweet my previous post to heaven and he responded? How exactly does that work? And btw, the answer is no. I'm not going to be obedient or faith to the so-called god unless he or she is 1) real, and 2) worthy of respect. From what I've read in the bible, the answer to both is a resounding NO.

19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

It would be hard to describe what I believe as a form of any one religion. I am very tolerant of beliefs, I'm quite accepting of peoples views when they are positively oriented, and there are things I agree with and disagree with in theism or atheistic belief. If people ask me I tend to state what I was raised as: a Lutheran (a denomination of protestantism which is also a denomination of Christianity). Now don't get me wrong, there is plenty about even my own religion that I disagree with: predestination, the devaluing of every other religion because if you believe this religion, then every other religion MUST be wrong, and other topics I cannot think of simply off the top of my head.

What I fail to understand is the lack of human understanding when it comes to debates involving religion (or a lack-thereof). What do I mean? For one, I don't understand why many atheists first snipe at ANY religion is that they believe that science and religion are a direct contradiction of each other. I cannot for the life of me understand this; I am a firm believer that you can have both science and religion co-exist, and be prosperous. Just because you believe in the scientific method, doesn't mean you can't have faith, or believe in something beyond explanation/understanding. Science can only explain so much, and will never be able to explain everything. Does that make me believe that atheists are wrong in their belief? No, but in the same token I wish they give me the same respect in mine.

I am severely bothered by the hate-flinging on both sides of the spectrum. People should be allowed to believe what they wish as long as it does not demean/destroy/harm/affect others. There are going to be idiots out there to use their beliefs as excuses for their actions, that is the fault of the PERSON, NOT the foundation of the belief. As much as there are people out there that act stupid in the name of their religion, there are also people out there that act stupid in the name of atheism. Religion gets a bad rap because it is a brand for EVERYTHING, so it seems easy to join the side that doesn't have its name tarnished as much. But this isn't a proper excuse to bash people simply because they believe in religion.

Okay... sorry for the rambling but just wanted to throw that out there.


Well, I think as long as religions is taught as a philosophy and not as science or history (which it is not) then atheists such as myself and others have no problems, it is when religion tries to re-categorize itself as science and history what's when there are problems. Do not be offended, just because I think your religion is full of shit, does not mean I do not respect you. I judge religion by what its scriptures teaches- and in the christian religion the bible is written for all to read, and it is very appropriate to judge it for what it is- outdated, immoral beliefs mixed with some good ones, with the overall net effect of being negative for human beings. There is no reason for anyone to take offense with that whether you are christian or not. I never understood why it's perfectly acceptable to profess your love for god but when someone says god doesn't exist or is a scumbag then that is considered offensive and controversial. They are merely two opposing views. Nothing personal.


21055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Online
Posted 5/9/13
I can't think of any instances of religions posing themselves as a science, but I can agree with you there that they are different, albeit can intermingle without destroying each other. However every religion is going to have a distinct history, and while there is no way of verifying everything stated by these religions, it's also not the case that everything in their distinct histories didn't actually happen. There was a John the Baptist, there was a Peter that wrote letters to the churches. Some stories can seem outlandish, I'll admit, but keep in mind many of them are to be taken as parables more so than the legitimacy of the actual events that occurred. (A parable is a story with a moral/lesson by the way, not trying to insult anyone, just defining it for those that don't know). I dislike arguments like the one occurring above, I wish both sides could simply agree to disagree.
28839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / 七十七 / ミシガン
Offline
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

I dislike arguments like the one occurring above, I wish both sides could simply agree to disagree.

As long as arguments can remain civil, I think they are good. The way I see it, how else can we understand one another? =)

Btw, I like your Hiro avatar. I loved the Lunar games as well.
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

bensonc120 wrote:


airmaster2000 wrote:
OKAY TRY TO AT LEAST RESEARCH FURTHER BEFORE SAYING THE BIBLE IS FALSE. YOU WILL SEE THE EVIDENCE THAT PROVE THE BIBLE IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE. HOW CAN YOU SAY IT IS FALSE WHEN YOU DIDN'T EVEN RESEARCH. THE BIGGEST EVIDENCE COMES FROM ARCHEOLOGICAL RESEARCH.


Look, since the Bronze age when imaginative shepherds wrote the first fantasy novel known as the bible, people have claimed evidence that will prove the existence of the events written in the bible. Every single time that "evidence" has been refuted as fraud or mistakes. There are no magical archaeology finds of noah's ark, or the ten commandments, or anything that proves any of the stories in the bible. That is fact. You can continue to write in caps, keep claiming evidence, but the fact is you have not mentioned one single evidence and that is not a coincidence.


airmaster2000 wrote:
I don't believe atheist exist because GOD IS REAL. You are merely agnostic. Atheist are people who research heavily and found that there is no God. I don't think you have been researching a lot. Try reading the whole bible and tell me if you think what you think about it. Even if there are many possibilities, the possibility of my God creating everything as we know it is great because how the stars are so uniquely placed even some scientists have found themselves to believe in some greater being creating everything that we know.


Atheists just means someone who does not believe in the existence of god. Agnostic is someone who doesn't know and believes that certain things are possibly unknowable. Intelligent design is the very opposite of intelligent. The possibility of your god creating the world as described in the genesis is zero due to the self-evident inconsistencies.


airmaster2000 wrote:
Look here you MAY THINK THAT. But people also see just dying on earth and not having afterlife is stupid. And you are presuming reality as without living eternally, but God grants us the access simply by having an intimate relationship. If you want to believe then go for it, nothing is holding you back except for your beliefs. And I think you are misunderstanding religion. If you think religion is about one's morality you are wrong. I don't believe that religion is good because it is a very worldly view on what we believe.


You are misunderstanding the whole point. It's not about what I want or choose to believe, it is about what evidence do we have. There is no evidence of eternal life. All evidence point toward life ceasing at death, as depressing as that thought is to all of us.


airmaster2000 wrote:
But what I believe is that I have an intimate relationship with God. It is NOT mortality, but simply it is about GOD. I don;t know if you have experienced miracles or signs or even Christians trying to reach out to you, but God is compelling me through the Holy Spirit to open up your heart to the idea that He exist in your life and He wants you to be his son. God simply wants a relationship with you THAT IS IT! He wants your complete obedience and faith.


You do not have an "intimate relationship" or any relationship with god because god doesn't exist. It is all in your head. I never understood why religious people always say they are not religious and instead say they have a "relationship with god" do they teach that propaganda rhetoric to you guys in church? Religious = cult = relationship with god = whatever, semantics is not important. Let's call a spade what it is.

I don't understand how your god is able to communicate that he wants you to "open my heart?" Did you share or tweet my previous post to heaven and he responded? How exactly does that work? And btw, the answer is no. I'm not going to be obedient or faith to the so-called god unless he or she is 1) real, and 2) worthy of respect. From what I've read in the bible, the answer to both is a resounding NO.


There is evidence but your being too stubborn to look at the evidence. You keep saying there is no evidence but you're not even proving that there is no evidence.
God does exist and heaven exists. Seeing is not believing just because you don't see God doesn't mean He doesn't exist. Let's just say that your dad is off somewhere, but you don't know if he is alive or not. it is a matter of believing.
And you're misunderstanding what a cult is. Do you even know what a cult is? A cult is when a religion is unorthodox. Christianity is not unorthodox. It says in the bible that God wants to have a relationship with you. Jesus Christ said to pray like this our father who art in heaven.... Using that first line here, Jesus Christ told us to call God our father and we are his children. What cults do is put some biblical truth, but puts lies like for example Jesus
24563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

IchiGoon wrote:

I'm Catholic Christian. I think atheism is silly and doesn't make any sense. God, the Bible and science actually make sense not like Atheism and man made up theories. Don't like what I said? I don't care. I don't expect anyone to understand or RESPECT my beliefs just like I might not understand or respect yours... Because if I did then it'd make me weak on my beliefs... STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF and stop crying when other try to convert you... Instead assert your own beliefs or just simply say not interested... Stop being a bunch of cry babies.


So what you're saying here is, it's not the fault of people who bully others of a different religion, such as telling them that they deserve to die and go to hell because they worship a different version of deity, or none at all. No, it's the victims of the bullying who are to blame, because the people being judgmental asshats can't mind their own goddamn business, pun intended. To take that viewpoint is pure hypocrisy. Welcome to the mindset of the Westboro Baptist Church. But no, they're not bullying anyone, they're just stating their opinion: The opinion that anyone who doesn't believe as they do is going to hell, apparently. Bear in mind there are people who call themselves "Christians" but will vehemently deny the notion that any Catholics are Christians, too. You can't even agree on who is and isn't "one of the flock!"

You sure as hell wouldn't like it if your kids were getting bullied by others, based on different religious beliefs, yet legislators in Michigan gutted an anti-bullying law, and made religious bullying protected speech. Worse, they gave people a blueprint for how to bully someone and get away with it. Again, for those who missed it earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDK-ja8PLgg (I should mention that while it was Christian Republicans who gutted this bill, it also opens the door for say, Muslim adults to bully Christian kids, and get away with it...but it's only okay if it's people you agree with who are doing it, right?) But of course, the people who think bullying should condoned, are usually the ones doing it themselves.

To take it further, there is a very fundamentalist-leaning religious organization called the Child Evangelism Fellowship, that I will go to the extent of saying is preying on children, targeting 4-14 year old kids in 3000 public schools, which is a violation of the Establishment Clause. Why is it a violation? They're benefiting from taxpayer funding, and because the kids are "learning it in school", they're too young to distinguish from the religious teachings, and the facts they learn in the classroom. They learned it in school, so it has to be true. They can do this because a Supreme Court decision in 2001 allows them to force their way into starting these so-called "Good News" clubs in any public school they wish. Even if every faculty member, teacher, and member of the school board is against them, they have no legal recourse. The schools can cut or revoke funding for any other kind of club or sports program, but no, not these clubs, because their level of free speech is now on a level above any other forms of free speech.

So what's the sinister side of this, you might wonder? Aside from the notion that if these clubs were Muslim in nature, many conservative Christians would be picketing the schools... This particular group uses bribing tactics to get kids to try to recruit their friends, offering them things like bracelets as rewards for bringing in friends, or holding rally events with fun events. aimed at converting kids. They are specifically targeting this age group, because their own research found that targeting older kids was less effective - they want to get them as young as possible, before they start learning to think for themselves.

That seems tame on its face, until you realize that the most stated ethic in the curriculum is blind obedience to authority. You're not supposed to think for yourself, much less do any critical thinking. If someone in a position of authority gives you a command, you must obey it, to the letter, and not question it. One particular example they use involves a passage from the bible in which god's instructions are: to go to a neighboring land, and kill every man, woman, child, and animal. Complete and total genocide. It wasn't fully carried out. So how do these people present this story of attempted genocide to 4-14 year old kids? "If you're told to clean your room, you aren't supposed to clean half of it, or most of it, you're supposed to clean ALL of it. To do otherwise, or to even question why, is to be disobedient, and being disobedient is a sin." Never mind the notion that having kids clean their rooms is alright on its face, but they are, in the same breath, advocating that genocide is the right thing to do, as long as someone in a position of authority tells you to do it. And worse, they insist that you must never question it! Think about that for a moment, and if you are fully comfortable with teaching that idea to 4-14 year olds, there might be something wrong with your critical thinking processes: Namely, you might not have developed them.

There was a documentary piece done on this group, and the makers of the film let the people of the group speak for themselves, and what they believe. This also includes the teaching that creationism is a scientific fact, but the bulk of the curriculum involves blind obedience to authority, and proselytizing to other kids. If you're interested, or don't believe what I'm referring to, the link to the documentary is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=aISnyA6k5Io
First  Prev  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.