First  Prev  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
18265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / im not telling you
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
no i firmly have no belief in anything but still respect those who do
22956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
There is a way to prove or disprove the existence of Jesus

first, make a time machine (preferably a flying Delorean)
second, travel to the date Jesus was said to exist at
third, search
fourth, observe
fifth, conclude
16072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

pandrasb wrote:

There is a way to prove or disprove the existence of Jesus

first, make a time machine (preferably a flying Delorean)
second, travel to the date Jesus was said to exist at
third, search
fourth, observe
fifth, conclude

Sadly it's imposible to fly back in time :P

My moral is not taken from a manual, or inherited, but is one created by me. I have my truth, which is not final, it evolves as the universe itself. We are far from knowing "everything", but I think we should learn to say "do not know" instead of making up stories to explain things, because of those stories are created false beliefs, those beliefs collide with each other, and there is creates a conflict because of something false.
And it is true that there are many possibilities, so in the hypothetical case that life on earth was created, I would not give "them" the title of God, they simply would be a race more advanced than ours.
The universe is 13.700 billion years, the earth is only 4 billion, and we hardly know our solar system.
Maybe this wrong, but I seek my truth, I do not seek to impose it on anyone. I do not seek to any of you stop believing, because it is more difficult to live looking for the truth, instead of buying it manufactured.

Sorry if you take it the wrong way, it's just my point of view, and sorry for my english
22956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

DeusCreed wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

There is a way to prove or disprove the existence of Jesus

first, make a time machine (preferably a flying Delorean)
second, travel to the date Jesus was said to exist at
third, search
fourth, observe
fifth, conclude

Sadly it's imposible to fly back in time :P

My moral is not taken from a manual, or inherited, but is one created by me. I have my truth, which is not final, it evolves as the universe itself. We are far from knowing "everything", but I think we should learn to say "do not know" instead of making up stories to explain things, because of those stories are created false beliefs, those beliefs collide with each other, and there is creates a conflict because of something false.
And it is true that there are many possibilities, so in the hypothetical case that life on earth was created, I would not give "them" the title of God, they simply would be a race more advanced than ours.
The universe is 13.700 billion years, the earth is only 4 billion, and we hardly know our solar system.
Maybe this wrong, but I seek my truth, I do not seek to impose it on anyone. I do not seek to any of you stop believing, because it is more difficult to live looking for the truth, instead of buying it manufactured.

Sorry if you take it the wrong way, it's just my point of view, and sorry for my english :D


It is impossible, but it would prove or disprove the existence of Jesus.

Take what the wrong way?
21067 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Jupiter, Forida
Offline
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13
Personally, i view god as the universe, it is the everything and the nothing, it's the darkness and the light. I don't believe in god like others do. Personally, i don't believe god gives two flying frags about us, like i don't give a frag about the cells in my body, they die every day and get born again. we are like cells to the universe, that is my belief, God is everything around us but cares about nothing.

It is us as humans that determined that it cares because things go right and we pray when things go wrong, but that is just fear rather then willpower, we have the power to change all our situations. Some of us don't need to be lured into a false strength, or the massive Facebook that is religion, where the person next to me HAS to be nice to me by the grace of god.

I am not sheep i am a shepherd. i do not look for a guide, i guide myself, i do not need a perfect leader, i will try to become one myself. The version of god as we know it, is a leader that can't be questioned, the perfect leader, but why do good people die? was it their time? NO thats just an excuse to rationalize the situation.

I don't need faith to make me feel better about my self, my day does not feel brighter, the day feels brighter because it's just fragging bright! it was my choices the day before that made my day better the day after.

Religion is like that one proverb, There is a massive flood, a family is trapped on their roof, they pray to god to save them, "god. please save us" a boat passes by and yells " hey we have room hoop on!" they say, "no god will save us", the boat leaves, 3 boats pass and the family still waits for god, They all drown, they reach the gates of heaven and talk to god "Why god, why didn't you save us" god reply's "i sent you 3 fucking boats"

^^

that there.. is a good example of a religious person how do i know this? i was one, i look at my mother the strong woman that she is constantly praying to the father, but ALSO doing everything herself believing god is with her.

I have the power to change my direction and it's my years of having religion beaten into me that made me so, so religion i thank you! you have opened my eyes, to your version of god? no, but for what i believe the true power of this universe is, god is water flowing in a direction and i am the fish that swims threw it.
809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Way outside the box
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
Ok well the answer is yes and no honestly I just don't care bout religion I believe there something there for my own personal reasons but I don't want it watching after me I'll be fine on my own
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

bensonc120 wrote:


airmaster2000 wrote:
Look you have still not told me any research that disproves that God does exist. The bible would be the biggest evidence that God does exist and truthfully you are taking parts of what I said and you are ignoring the other parts. .


You missed the point again. I don't need to prove something doesn't exist, the burden of proof is on you. All the so-called "evidence" that god exists throughout history have been exposed as frauds. If I tell you the Easter bunny exists, I need to prove it to you. It would be stupid for me to declare Easter bunny exists, and ask you to prove that it doesn't. Do you follow this simple logic?

And you should never use the bible as proof of god's existence, if anything, the bible proves itself to be wrong when it is analyzed for inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies. By your logic, I can use the koran to prove that islam is real, and I can use the hubbard books to prove scientology is real, which is ridiculous. The bible was written by bronze age goat herders as a moral guideline to help the people of that time. Over time, the "morals" taught in that book have become outdated- for example, we now know (hopefully) that it's wrong to enslave, to murder, to rape, etc. and those were all condoned by the bible. And we now know that the stories used to explain creation and nature are wrong- for example the age of the earth and the universe is not a few thousand years old. The bible should be taught as an ancient philosophy along with other myths, stories, but it has no place in science or history. It has no place in our government or public schools. As long as you understand that, there are no problems. It should not be used a the moral center either, as many of the so-called "morals" taught in that book is just wrong.


airmaster2000 wrote:
Protestant is not a cult because we take for what the bible says is real."


So you think it is ok to rape, enslave, and stone people to death? These are all condoned in the bible that you take as real.


airmaster2000 wrote:
And the father analogy I was saying that if your father left you as a little kid and you have no idea if he is alive or not. You assume that the father is able to reach the child, but the father does not want to.



Here is the problem with you analogy- even if the father left the child, the child has still seen, heard, interacted with the father. The father may be MIA but he still exists or existed at one time. There are evidence of it. There are as much evidence for your god's existence as there are evidence for Santa, Easter bunny, Buddha, or whatever other mythology figure or storybook character. You can't prove that god is more real than Naruto.

Even more, it is just wrong to compare a god to a father. It is an insult to all the responsible fathers in the world who work hard and provide for their kids to be compared to a fictional storybook character.


airmaster2000 wrote:
We need to trust in God because He alone is perfect and infinite.


Based on evidence, god doesn't exist. Based on the biblical stories, he is a scumbag. I would not trust a god based on the bible stories to babysit my kids anymore than I would trust a murderer or sex offender.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/article/1912.27301.78.0/religion/christianity/archeology-proves-bible-history-accurate
http://www.accuracyingenesis.com/biblicalarchaeology.html
These websites are sites that show that the bible is historically accurate. Do not say that these websites are wrong because I have searched up so much evidence that archeological coverings show that the bible is accurate. You search yourself if you think you are not sure. I feel like you are reading the bible out of context like on websites, but not reading the actual book. Read the actual book and reading the entirety before saying it is wrong to have it in our lives. I said it before like probably two times already that 2 timothy 3:16-17 says that all scripture is god breathed and it is used for teaching, rebuking and the like. It is God's word.
(http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-God-Word.html) Read these websites carefully because you start to read one thing and assume the rest. And what you were saying about the bible is pure opinion not based on fact. The reason why is probably because you never bothered researching. There is no other text that can provide history in such detail. The bible was made a long time ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is outdated. It can be used in the present because sin is still rampant in our lives. Do you agree with me that there is corruption, greed, lust, and wrath in our lives? The bible also has parables that can be used for morals like what class usually teach about Christianity is the golden rule: "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.[1]" (Source: wikipedia: Golden rule). One reason why we learn history is so we do not make the same mistakes as what our ancestors has done. And also what do you mean it has no place in history its been used pretty much throughout history. The basic sets of laws were from the bible: The ten commandments. Also what is the book that you place your hand on before testifying in court. It is the bible. The bible was not written by goat herders the whole idea why some text are different is because there are 40 different authors that have written the bible. If you think the morals in the bible is wrong then you think the ten commandments is wrong. So it's okay to murder and commit adultery? Obviously not. You think that your words all totally in the right and it is the truth, but the only one perfect and true is God especially supported through multiple scripture. "As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD's word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him." (Psalm 18:30)

I don't know what you are thinking about what protestants are, but you have a totally wrong view. Research what protestants are. Protestants are Christians who follow the bible. Catholics think the bible is secondary source yet the things that they do does not go accordingly to the bible. Catholics for a long time became corrupt due to greed and their political position.
http://www.gotquestions.org/Roman-Catholicism.html
Christianity does not support rape(You need to see the 10 commandments), but there were passages in the old testament that supports stoning and enslaving.
DO NOT IGNORE THIS PART.
(http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100509184445AAoYxLT) Jesus Christ made it rightfully so that one should not stone especially when one had sin in their hearts, and enslaving is not good. Jesus Christ died for our sins and from that point on it was made rightfully so that these sins should not be committed. And every law that was set in Old Testament was fulfilled because Jesus Christ made a new covenant with us. The laws sent in place at the old testament was only for the Isrealites at that time period. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second. 8 For he finds fault with them when he says: "Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 9 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. For they did not continue in my covenant, and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 11 And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." 13 In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:7-13)

The father analogy is not working for so I won't use it, but how you can't say that God is a fictional character. You may say you don't have evidence, but you cannot deny the possibility of God being alive. Also you think all fathers are responsible. Some fathers are alcoholics and abuse their children. There are some fathers that sexually abused their child and even rape them. This goes to show that no one is perfect. I feel that the father should live up to their name so that children would see the similarity in character of calling God father. God is a father. I told you the lord's prayer. The first line says our father who art in heaven. God is our father. Just imagine God's perfect being and He cares for you and takes care of you. Even if you cannot imagine, you could say that God's love for his son is perfect.
https://www.lerucher.org/Content/pdf/Knowing%20God%20as%20Loving%20Father.pdf This pdf explains further.

I hear this based on evidence god does not exist. What evidence is this? Logic? Reasoning? There are mysteries in this world that we do not know of. We cannot even know God that much because there is always a limit to human understanding. Based on the biblical evidence, God is not a scumbag. He is our father who provides us with the perfect love. God guides us the right path in life through the Holy spirit.
http://christianity.about.com/od/topicalbiblestudies/a/whoisholyspirit.htm
http://youtu.be/KGlx11BxF24
http://www.gotquestions.org/Does-God-exist.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/is-God-real.html


88 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 5/9/13 , edited 5/9/13
I tried to be religious because of this beautiful woman I dated was a very devout Christian. She even refused to date me unless I went to her church ;P and gave it a try. As I learned more about Christ however, I actually ended up becoming more atheist. I don't really get any of the bible nor do I really know how to take it.

Guess I was just born without a heart to love God. I just don't understand who God is and I can't seem to start a relationship with Him. I don't see the importance of having a God either, I've always just accepted the world for what it is and I like things the way they are now. Yeah the world is a fked up place I know, there's a lot of people working hard to make it better and some making it worse but that's just how it's always been. Being religious won't change my reality for me.

I still play guitar for the church I go to and I listen to their sermons every weekend but I just don't consider myself Christian since none of it makes any sense to me. The whole thing is just too damn serious ;P and why do we need answers for all the unknown phenomena of the world? The world is beautiful brilliant and perfect the way it is :). The whole idea of religion seems to come from an origin of fear, I sure would be sad if God made boobs just to send me to Hell for staring D;.
8111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 5/9/13

Spazticus wrote:


airmaster2000 wrote:
Faith is simply trusting. We need to trust in God because He alone is perfect and infinite.


So perfect that if your god orders a genocide, and you don't carry that genocide of every single man, woman, child, and animal to the letter, then you are considered disobedient and sinful. No, a thousand times no! I will answer to my own conscience and the laws of the land in which I live. I will be self-motivated, because I alone am responsible for my own actions, my own choices; and the only conscience to which I must ultimately answer is my own. It is not for you or anyone else to judge whether I am a good person, except under the auspices of the federal and state laws of the land. "Judge not, lest ye be judged", and yet this one phrase is so easily ignored by self-appointed moralists. I refuse to live constrained by your moral standards, and you have no right to pass moral judgment on me, by the virtue of your own scripture.

I will not be a willing subject of a supposedly "perfect" god that requires my worship, only so I don't have to live in fear of all the things he will supposedly do to me if I don't worship him. A god so petty is unworthy of my respect or devotion. In real life terms, this is akin to a man saying to a woman, "You'd better love me, because if you love me, then I won't beat you." The treatment of women in the bible (they were property to be sold by their fathers, after all; and they could be raped, as long as the rapist paid the father, and married them) speaks volumes. The multiple requirements of blind obedience to authority, and the demands to never even question why the orders are given, further drive the point home that believers of good conscience aren't wanted, but sheep.

I also do not need such a god in my life to motivate me to kind and compassionate to those in need; I do so of my own volition, because actions speak louder than words, much less faith alone. Instead of trying to convert everyone else to your way of thinking, how about you live and let live, and set an example for others to choose to follow of their own volition? The answer is "no" of course; because some religious people don't feel others should even have the illusion of choice.

On a related note, it'd be really great if some religious people would allow their kids to learn and establish valuable critical thinking skills, so we don't end up with illogical travesties like this...this isn't scientific, but it is all the "proof" some people claim to need:


(For the record, 40% of Americans polled would willingly disregard any fact proven by scientific evidence, IF that fact also contradicted their scriptures. And people wonder why our kids are testing so low in their understanding of history and the sciences...)

Faith is needed to receive salvation. It also makes us rely on God in our weaknesses and limitations. It is true that we were all entitled free will. It says so in the bible. Genesis 2 & 3 shows that man and women were given free will. God still made the tree of knowledge of good and evil because He wanted us to have a choice. He did not want us to be robots and be perfect, which is why He put the tree there even though God knew that they were going to sin. Still the sense of care God has for us is unimaginable. God's first questions to humans were "Where Are You?" in genesis 3. Obviously God knows where they are because God is all knowing, but He still wanted them to call out to God. What my job is to get the word out. and God works in your heart. God will give you an opportunity to come to Him. He is knocking the door. The door is your heart. He is waiting for you and providing you many opportunities. It is only the matter of individually receiving Jesus Christ as your lord and savior and praying. Praying is communicating to God. I understand that you might want to rely on yourself, but I feel that everyone is weak when it comes to sin in our lives whether it be corruption, greed, lust and many other things.
Also to your statements that God committing genocide. Sin has consequences and it ultimately leads us to death. If anything it was Satan's fault for tempting Adam and Eve to sin and Human's fault for following Satan. Sins in our lives is bad if we do not release them. David's case: He committed adultery and then murder to hide his adulterous actions. He confessed his sins; he felt relieved that he confessed it out. Any by far no human is ever holy except Jesus Christ. It is how we handle sin that leads us to enter into God's kingdom or not. Let's just say you are in an ocean and nothing is remotely around you. You try to swim, but because of human limitation it makes you tired and you will end up drowning, but if you rely on God who is all powerful, all knowing and all-present. He will reach out a hand to help you because he cares about you.
If you do not believe that God is perfect then it leads to corruption everywhere. There would be no justice. There would be no spiritual power to save you. And one wouldn't follow blind obedience to a limited God because afterall there are limits to what that God can do. But God works in mysterious ways. He also works in so much different ways that you don't even know of. And He is much more powerful than that. God makes miracles especially in Elisha and Jesus and many more. It is primarily the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the only way to get spiritual gifts and show miracles. God guides you in the right path.
It is true in some cases, but doesn't words speak louder than actions in some cases especially when you take in overwhelming information. Faith is by words and action.Trusting that God will be your guide means you have to follow him with prayer and reading the bible daily. I feel that when you saying some you are saying majority of religious people do that. Not necessarily. Most religious families allow their children to participate in critical thinking skills because aren't they going to school. It also feels like you are implying that religious people are not educated. Also that picture is wrong, because Genesis 1&2 do not specify a date. You may think that people being led by God is dumb, but most people in religion are educated in some way. Jewish people especially. Also God has the best plan for anyone because God is all-knowing. The statistic does even have any proven evidence after all I typed in the whole stat and then half and it resulted to no search.
25563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Online
Posted 5/9/13
Way to miss the whole point...the logic is circular reasoning. What you're saying is, "It's true, because the bible says it's true." That is the crux of your argument, and by scientific standards, cannot be conclusively proven beyond any reasonable doubt. If it could be so proven, there would be no need for faith. Every claim you've made to state that it's true, just circles back to state that the truth is in the book, and the book is essentially infallible.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Niel deGrasse Tyson

As for genocide, again, you missed the point. Your version of god is so jealous and petty, that the response to those that don't follow him is genocide, and that is a perfectly acceptable response to you. I'm not going to invoke Godwin's law here, but there are parallels that can be drawn to blind obedience and atrocities. It is zero justification.

As for critical thinking skills, no, you're incorrect there, as well. Religious republicans in Texas have made it a point to try to remove any critical thinking from the curriculum, because it "undermines parental authority". In other words, people who exercise more critical thinking skills, are less likely to require religion for comfort and understanding of the world. In this way, it undermines the religious authority of their parents, and that's a good thing, because people should be allowed to think for themselves. They had it on their 2012 education platform, and as you may know, 80% of the schools in the country follow the same curriculum as Texas schools. To further drive home the point, the Good News clubs I mentioned earlier specifically target 4-14 year old kids, specifically BECAUSE they haven't had the time to develop proper critical thinking skills. So they'll be more malleable to parrot chapter and verse as fact, and be part of that 40% of Americans who would disregard any fact, if it contradicted with their scriptures.
11 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/9/13
Now i'm not saying that everyone here is doing this, but one thing that I really don't like about some religions is how they state that people who do not believe in their god(s) will go to "hell". First of all, that puts a conflict of interest on believers; do they really believe in their religion because of the "goodness of their heart" or are they pious because they want to go to heaven and are being bribed by their greed(not very pious in my opinion). How will they be able to convince themselves without a doubt one way or another?

If a religion states that you have to worship its god(s) in order to go to a pleasant afterlife, then I would consider those gods to be arrogant and self-serving and thus I wouldn't want to worship those gods anyway, even if they were proven to be real. To worship in fear is not to worship at all.

Let's say Mahatma Gandhi didn't believe in your religion, does that mean that someone like him went to "hell"??? That's just too much for me to wrap my head around.
22956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
I have been thinking about becoming a Jediist, I don't know if I can in the United States though
25563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Northern California
Online
Posted 5/10/13

pandrasb wrote:

I have been thinking about becoming a Jediist, I don't know if I can in the United States though


But think of all the free hugs you can get! (well, one hug is enough for a lifetime.)
22956 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / SoCal, HB
Offline
Posted 5/10/13

Spazticus wrote:


pandrasb wrote:

I have been thinking about becoming a Jediist, I don't know if I can in the United States though


But think of all the free hugs you can get! (well, one hug is enough for a lifetime.)


:P that or become a Haruhiist when Haruhiism is established

23807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Amegakure
Offline
Posted 5/10/13
First  Prev  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.