First  Prev  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

Reigeoctavius wrote:

Global warming was proven by scientific consensus, but was not proven by scientific fact.


How do you think scientists reach a scientific consensus?
Posted 5/12/13
Atheism and agnosticism are not religions. Christianity, Islam, and Pastafarian are (albeit the last being a somewhat farcical one...). We can get all technical and crap and try to define the term "religion" so broadly that everyone has one, but that's not what people mean when they say the word. "Worldview" might be a better term if you're trying to say everyone has one.
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/12/13
I am not religious.

In parlance of American english, I don't wish to be strident, but I am an Atheist. I would go further to say that I am an anti-theist. The beliefs of the religious have stifled humanistic progress at all points in history. For example, name me one religion that preaches the empowerment of women. None, you will only find the opposite, in fact.
4771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/13/13
I'm Agnostic theist, and I will always remain as such. As far as I can tell, both Atheism and Theism are debatable, especially with so many people who are willing to lie, tamper with other people's teachings, and whatnot. For example, the Westminster Confession of Faith completely omitted the Apocrypha in 1647 from what is now known as the King Jame's version. One can only imagine the amount mistranslation and misinformation that has been accumulating for hundreds of years, too. Also, the notorious segment about "not suffering a witch to live" is awfully ironic and suspicious, considering that Saul had a witch conjure the spirit of Samuel for guidance in the Book of Samuel, and the she was even promised protection. The sorceress is referred to as the "Witch of Endor", by the way. I wouldn't be surprised if the "kill the witch!" line was made up during the bible's translation in the midst of the Middle Ages. There are a ton of misconceptions, including the popular belief that Charles Darwin was an Athiest, which is thrown around by alot of people in general. He was Agnostic, but then his name and his book were abused for political agendas. I wonder what else is corrupted? Nevermind. I'd probably be rendered deaf and blind from it all.

15014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
In all honesty, I'm unsure about where I stand. Religion has always been confusing to me ever since I was a kid, but I don't think I'm totally against it.

I will say this, whenever I hear someone talk about how there is a battle between God and The Devil for your soul, I always think of that scene in Aladdin where the Genie and the Magic Carpet are playing chess.
14598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Elkhart, Indiana
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
i'm also am anti-theist atheist. I think religion is holding humanity back from progress.
15408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York, Syracuse
Online
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/12/13
I believe in Jesus and I do not follow any religion, I follow him, not because I want to go to heaven or not want to go to hell, which to me is irrelevant, just follow him for all what he did in my life, jesus has changed me in ways that no one knows, and helps me with everything, I know some of you will ask me, how can you believe in someone you can not see, and my answer is,

1 - There is historical evidence; showing that existed, and nobody found his body, so where did he go? of course, to the heavens, but my point is not to talk about science VS believe, my point is to tell others what Jesus did for me, and explain why he died and suffered for us and resurrected three days later and went to heaven to prepare places for all who believe in.

2 - I know many of you will say I'm crazy, but the truth is, every day I see Jesus. How? Well I see in every person who needs help, I see him in every good action another does for me, I see the things that he create like the nature. He every day make my life different and fun, I love Jesus and I tell everyone, I do not force other people to believe in who I believe, but if you want to make your life special, try to find Jesus, He is the answer to your happiness this is my personal opinion
9007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
I'm an Atheist, but I do understand and respect others beliefs. I'm not one of those assholes that try to push their religion on you. Basically if you push your religion on me I won't get bad, but I will no longer respect YOU as a person. I still respect that religion, just not you.
9007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

dreamheart wrote:

I believe in Jesus and I do not follow any religion, I follow him, not because I want to go to heaven or not want to go to hell, which to me is irrelevant, just follow him for all what he did in my life, jesus has changed me in ways that no one knows, and helps me with everything, I know some of you will ask me, how can you believe in someone you can not see, and my answer is,

1 - There is historical evidence; showing that existed, and nobody found his body, so where did he go? of course, to the heavens, but my point is not to talk about science VS believe, my point is to tell others what Jesus did for me, and explain why he died and suffered for us and resurrected three days later and went to heaven to prepare places for all who believe in.

2 - I know many of you will say I'm crazy, but the truth is, every day I see Jesus. How? Well I see in every person who needs help, I see him in every good action another does for me, I see the things that he create like the nature. He every day make my life different and fun, I love Jesus and I tell everyone, I do not force other people to believe in who I believe, but if you want to make your life special, try to find Jesus, He is the answer to your happiness this is my personal opinion :blush:


Isn't it just your spirit/soul that goes to Heaven? Wouldn't the body of Jesus (physical form) stay here on Earth?

Not trying to offend I am just wondering.
15408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York, Syracuse
Online
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/12/13

fritobc wrote:


dreamheart wrote:

I believe in Jesus and I do not follow any religion, I follow him, not because I want to go to heaven or not want to go to hell, which to me is irrelevant, just follow him for all what he did in my life, jesus has changed me in ways that no one knows, and helps me with everything, I know some of you will ask me, how can you believe in someone you can not see, and my answer is,

1 - There is historical evidence; showing that existed, and nobody found his body, so where did he go? of course, to the heavens, but my point is not to talk about science VS believe, my point is to tell others what Jesus did for me, and explain why he died and suffered for us and resurrected three days later and went to heaven to prepare places for all who believe in.

2 - I know many of you will say I'm crazy, but the truth is, every day I see Jesus. How? Well I see in every person who needs help, I see him in every good action another does for me, I see the things that he create like the nature. He every day make my life different and fun, I love Jesus and I tell everyone, I do not force other people to believe in who I believe, but if you want to make your life special, try to find Jesus, He is the answer to your happiness this is my personal opinion :blush:


Isn't it just your spirit/soul that goes to Heaven? Wouldn't the body of Jesus (physical form) stay here on Earth?

Not trying to offend I am just wondering.



Is not offense, I'm glad you ask me Well The bible say that he went to the heaven and is talking Physical form, and he was not the only one, some Prophets in the past was taken to the heaven in physical form, so Jesus was not the first. Anyway I'll dig more in this topic, for give you a better answer
13035 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/13
i am religious because ive experienced proof. not the "my mommy survived cancer, its a miracle!" type, but actual proof. so there is in fact a god.
i dont think it makes a difference if you believe or not, because if we are created and the universe, and matter, and life is created by said god, then you not believing in god is the way you were made, and therefor you are innocent. (i said "if" because although i know god exists, and spirits exist, i do not know how it works) BUT if you discover some facts about the spiritual world, and have real encounters, it makes your life better. and calming. and you live a live without any kind of fear.

my point is, that god and spirits and bad spirits and blah blah, its real. but it doesnt matter wether you believe in it or not, it is what it is.
you cant expect someone to believe without evidence. and organized religion is not always a good thing.
Posted 5/12/13 , edited 5/12/13

yoshicurly wrote:

i am religious because ive experienced proof. not the "my mommy survived cancer, its a miracle!" type, but actual proof. so there is in fact a god.
i dont think it makes a difference if you believe or not, because if we are created and the universe, and matter, and life is created by said god, then you not believing in god is the way you were made, and therefor you are innocent. (i said "if" because although i know god exists, and spirits exist, i do not know how it works) BUT if you discover some facts about the spiritual world, and have real encounters, it makes your life better. and calming. and you live a live without any kind of fear.

my point is, that god and spirits and bad spirits and blah blah, its real. but it doesnt matter wether you believe in it or not, it is what it is.
you cant expect someone to believe without evidence. and organized religion is not always a good thing.
When you claim you've experienced proof, while I don't doubt the sincerity of your words -- the brain is a first rate simulation program -- actual observable, measurable proof of a celestial dictator is nonexistent.

The premise of faith is thus: with no proof you must believe. The only arguments "proving" the existence of a celestial dictator can only be made by claiming to know things one cannot possibly know. Why are the stars there? I don't know. Well I do, it was God -- not only that, I know God's will. The absurd premise withstanding, the metaphysical claims of religion are untrue.
Banned
1789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

Ember_McLain wrote:


yoshicurly wrote:

i am religious because ive experienced proof. not the "my mommy survived cancer, its a miracle!" type, but actual proof. so there is in fact a god.
i dont think it makes a difference if you believe or not, because if we are created and the universe, and matter, and life is created by said god, then you not believing in god is the way you were made, and therefor you are innocent. (i said "if" because although i know god exists, and spirits exist, i do not know how it works) BUT if you discover some facts about the spiritual world, and have real encounters, it makes your life better. and calming. and you live a live without any kind of fear.

my point is, that god and spirits and bad spirits and blah blah, its real. but it doesnt matter wether you believe in it or not, it is what it is.
you cant expect someone to believe without evidence. and organized religion is not always a good thing.
When you claim you've experienced proof, while I don't doubt the sincerity of your words -- the brain is a first rate simulation program -- actual observable, measurable proof of a celestial dictator is nonexistent.

The premise of faith is thus: with no proof you must believe. The only arguments "proving" the existence of a celestial dictator can only be made by claiming to know things one cannot possibly know. Why are the stars there? I don't know. Well I do, it was God -- not only that, I know God's will. The absurd premise withstanding, the metaphysical claims of religion are untrue.


I go with the definition that god is----whatever created all this.
16214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/12/13

spacebat wrote:

I don't need to believe gravity exists... I know it exists.

Just like I don't need to believe the earth orbits the sun. It's an observable fact of physics. :huh:

You can argue the earth is flat all you want. I've been able to prove it's an oblate spheroid ever since middle school geometry...

You seem to argue for the sake of arguing though. I'll leave you to your thoughts just leave the physics to me...

However if you feel the urge to learn a little about Newton's Laws I'd be happy to school you in Centrifugal Force it's one of many ficticious forces that leads into Newton's Second law: F= ma





You must be some kind of imbecile because you need to believe it exists before you know it exists. A theory of knowledge. Not an irrational theory you made up.


Again, how do you know gravity exists? You're not seeing an "observable fact of physics", dunce. What you're actually claiming is that you are "Observing what gravity does", and so how is that argument any different when a theist says "God exists because we can observe what God does"? Here comes the clue train stopping at spacebat station. Its not any different. Rethink it again, champ because you have no idea what physics is. Its not science. Its MATH. The greatest physics discoveries was done on paper and proven to be true ON PAPER before it was even tested out.

Nobody is arguing that the earth is flat. Stop making strawman arguments.

I think it is YOU that needs to learn a thing or two about Sir Issac Newton. He believed in the existence of God, and often called God brilliant after making discoveries in math, philosophy, and science. Newton is FIRST and FOREMOST a Mathematician and Philosopher. Just like Descartes and Galileo were before him (Also were theists). All 3 of those figures KNEW that if you don't have a rational philosophy, then you're just an idiot rambling about something you know nothing about

You have a lot to learn about knowledge, sir. You don't know anything.
Posted 5/12/13

VeniVidiVici- wrote:
I go with the definition that god is----whatever created all this.


Explicit in that statement is that their must have been a creator and implicit is the wish for their to be a celestial dictator.

What created "all this" can readily be explained, fairly well, by cosmologists. When matter collides with anti-matter (positron strikes an electron) they annihilate each other. This process, interestingly, can run in reverse. In addition, because our universe is flat - not in the geometric planar sense but folded through a higher dimension (above the 3rd) - the total energy in our universe is finite allowing for spontaneous expansion so long as energy is conserved. We know antimatter exists and we're made of matter, so, look at how well that works.

"But what if god is the one who caused the big bang!" the religious yell at their screen. Well, that could be. I cannot prove that is not the cause. The spontaneous expansion from singularity, however, has the virtue of being measurable and observable while the caprice of a celestial dictator does not.

If you believe "god" in reference to a more panethnic sense of "nature" then I would implore you change your wording lest the religious get confused and mistake a first cause with a personal, theistic god.
First  Prev  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.