First  Prev  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F
Offline
Posted 5/28/13
And this is one of the reasons I really don't like Otakus. Some have just a really mean-spirit in order to slam some others opinion, faith, believe. And really dumb to use derogatory over-used words to someone we love.
7948 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Pittsburgh PA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/28/13

umbreonlover wrote:

And this is one of the reasons I really don't like Otakus. Some have just a really mean-spirit in order to slam some others opinion, faith, believe. And really dumb to use derogatory over-used words to someone we love.


Fighting over more than anime this time, huh? It happens a lot, and I guess I have to agree with you sometimes. I believe that people should believe what they believe.
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13

kyo7763 wrote:


Gaiad wrote:

I am technically a theist, but my line of beliefs align more so with that of an atheist than anything.

I believe god is whatever created the universe, and is only that. It does not extend beyond the act of creation and plays no role with humans. Thus I have no reason to be a part of any religion and god plays no role in my life. I believe in evolution and such as well.


EDIT: I am somewhat conflicted with the idea of religion though. When it's not filled with intolerance, hate, and ignorance, and actually serves a meaningful purpose I believe it does people quite a bit of good. But the amount of intolerance that is amongst it is difficult to ignore.

That said, I don't think I'd ever wish to abolish it. Without religion, music would hardly exist today, and that would pain me very much.


You should go back a couple pages and find my post. It was specifically for people who think this, more or less. You're smart enough to know that a 'God' is not needed for how humans interact in daily life because everything has been set in motion already - there is no reason to even believe there is a 'God' around us if you understand the basic theories of math and science in the 21st century. The question would then become do we need 'God' to help explain how physics and the universe began? In short from the videos I linked earlier is that: No, at this point in technological advancement, study of astro physics, and study of the universe's beginning we no longer have a need to use 'God' to fill the gap of the beginning of everything. Why? Because we already know how literally something can emerge from the absence of everything.

To the dude talking about philosophy and the question posed about what if everyone was a liar as a basis to refute religious teachings.... That's a pretty weak argument. It'd be like trying to refute someone arguing against multiple worlds theory and all of the pointless intricacies they put into it. Instead, ask more valuable questions and answer those.

Also, to the 53 man quoting the Bible..... Here is a fantastic tip:

If you want to PROVE something don't use the UNRELIABLE evidence of something written by that which you are trying to PROVE. It literally makes no logical argumentative sense. It's what we call a circular argument :)

Just because you don't "need" something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't need a calculator, but it still exists and is used....
66474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / SLC
Offline
Posted 5/28/13
Am I religious? No.

Do I believe in God? Yes.

Do I think that He will love me more if I spend time in a church or rant at those who believe in some other (or none at all) deity?

Why do I believe in God? Because I'm dying and the thought that this is all there truly is, is terrifying.
15960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cincinnati
Offline
Posted 5/28/13

umbreonlover wrote:

And this is one of the reasons I really don't like Otakus. Some have just a really mean-spirit in order to slam some others opinion, faith, believe. And really dumb to use derogatory over-used words to someone we love.


Everyone's beliefs are subject to questioning. If you blindly accept something regardless of what it is then I think you're doing a disservice to the cognitive abilities we are lucky enough to have. Of course, I cannot make someone think a certain way; and I certainly do not intend to. I simply provided the information of what we know thus far. If that scares you or is offensive to you then perhaps you may want to actually explore the internet and its vast bodies of information for this knowledge yourself and come to a reasonable, intellectual conclusion rather than simply brushing off the arguments. I think it's quite beautiful in it's own way.

To the person who quoted me and said "this doesn't mean it doesn't exist" you need not look further than this:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/descartes-ontological/

tl;dr if we can't know if it exists there is not much of a point of the question you are trying to prove your point with. You link the 'unknown' value of if it exists with it actually existing from the start of your argument. You're begging the question and ought to move onto questions of relevance.
5716 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.A
Offline
Posted 5/28/13
this is hard to explain and since when it is involved religion, there will be many different answer to it. however, i would consider myself not religious.
12921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
102 / M / The Milky Way Galaxy
Offline
Posted 5/28/13 , edited 5/28/13
I don't believe in religion, but I'd gladly be proven wrong when the time comes. What's the point in debating a subject like religion? We'll all discover the truth when we die. What's the rush?
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13

Gaiad wrote:

I am technically a theist, but my line of beliefs align more so with that of an atheist than anything.

I believe god is whatever created the universe, and is only that. It does not extend beyond the act of creation and plays no role with humans. Thus I have no reason to be a part of any religion and god plays no role in my life. I believe in evolution and such as well.


EDIT: I am somewhat conflicted with the idea of religion though. When it's not filled with intolerance, hate, and ignorance, and actually serves a meaningful purpose I believe it does people quite a bit of good. But the amount of intolerance that is amongst it is difficult to ignore.

That said, I don't think I'd ever wish to abolish it. Without religion, music would hardly exist today, and that would pain me very much.


I believe the term is Deism.
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13

kyo7763 wrote:


umbreonlover wrote:

And this is one of the reasons I really don't like Otakus. Some have just a really mean-spirit in order to slam some others opinion, faith, believe. And really dumb to use derogatory over-used words to someone we love.


Everyone's beliefs are subject to questioning. If you blindly accept something regardless of what it is then I think you're doing a disservice to the cognitive abilities we are lucky enough to have. Of course, I cannot make someone think a certain way; and I certainly do not intend to. I simply provided the information of what we know thus far. If that scares you or is offensive to you then perhaps you may want to actually explore the internet and its vast bodies of information for this knowledge yourself and come to a reasonable, intellectual conclusion rather than simply brushing off the arguments. I think it's quite beautiful in it's own way.

To the person who quoted me and said "this doesn't mean it doesn't exist" you need not look further than this:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/descartes-ontological/

tl;dr if we can't know if it exists there is not much of a point of the question you are trying to prove your point with. You link the 'unknown' value of if it exists with it actually existing from the start of your argument. You're begging the question and ought to move onto questions of relevance.


I apologize,,,I may have been misleading in my meaning, for I was replying with haste. I meant that the way in which you wrote made it sound as if God was a being purely created by man to explain things we could not, but religion has long since evolved from such reasoning. In response to your response, I still find it necessary for God to exist for life to exist. From the impossibility of nothing to such order that is leading scientists to seriously test if the universe is a simulation, and to all the high improbabilities in-between which could have possibly lead to such life as that now exists, seems certainly impossible if not for a Creator.
15960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Cincinnati
Offline
Posted 5/28/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:


kyo7763 wrote:


umbreonlover wrote:

And this is one of the reasons I really don't like Otakus. Some have just a really mean-spirit in order to slam some others opinion, faith, believe. And really dumb to use derogatory over-used words to someone we love.


Everyone's beliefs are subject to questioning. If you blindly accept something regardless of what it is then I think you're doing a disservice to the cognitive abilities we are lucky enough to have. Of course, I cannot make someone think a certain way; and I certainly do not intend to. I simply provided the information of what we know thus far. If that scares you or is offensive to you then perhaps you may want to actually explore the internet and its vast bodies of information for this knowledge yourself and come to a reasonable, intellectual conclusion rather than simply brushing off the arguments. I think it's quite beautiful in it's own way.

To the person who quoted me and said "this doesn't mean it doesn't exist" you need not look further than this:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/descartes-ontological/

tl;dr if we can't know if it exists there is not much of a point of the question you are trying to prove your point with. You link the 'unknown' value of if it exists with it actually existing from the start of your argument. You're begging the question and ought to move onto questions of relevance.


I apologize,,,I may have been misleading in my meaning, for I was replying with haste. I meant that the way in which you wrote made it sound as if God was a being purely created by man to explain things we could not, but religion has long since evolved from such reasoning. In response to your response, I still find it necessary for God to exist for life to exist. From the impossibility of nothing to such order that is leading scientists to seriously test if the universe is a simulation, and to all the high improbabilities in-between which could have possibly lead to such life as that now exists, seems certainly impossible if not for a Creator.


I'll assume you did not watch the video with Laurence Krauss and Richard Dawkins I posted pages back. You ought to before posting things like this which has so many assumptions about probability and impossibilities you seem to only think exist. One of the main points of that talk is that something can come from nothing. There is not a need for a 'God' in the 21st century if you understand the many theories prevalent today. If you're talking about probabilities though, here is one for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRDh8CHjmg

In response to the bold: That's exactly where the roots of religion come from. Anything further to justify that belief is simply rationalization of nonintellectual ideals.

Hopefully you actually take the time to watch these videos. They're quite nice
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13

I am aware of the possibility of something coming from nothing. Nothing existing, however, is no longer possible. It can no longer happen. However, it did exist, in a void before the universe. What I am trying to say is that the fact that there was nothing is proof, to me, that God does exist. He exists in nothing.
In response to the bold, while that was the basis of early religion in a different culture, calling that the religion of today, to me, is like calling yourself a macro-molecule.
3525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / "Spaaaaace!"
Offline
Posted 5/28/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:


I am aware of the possibility of something coming from nothing. Nothing existing, however, is no longer possible. It can no longer happen. However, it did exist, in a void before the universe. What I am trying to say is that the fact that there was nothing is proof, to me, that God does exist. He exists in nothing.
In response to the bold, while that was the basis of early religion in a different culture, calling that the religion of today, to me, is like calling yourself a macro-molecule.


So your argument is that God is Nothing; no space, no matter, no time, no physics no nothing. From nothing the universe appeared and to nothing is its eventual conclusion?

Cause I'm happy to bury the hatchet if this is what we all can agree on.

I'm not comfortable with string theory or Krauss's 3rd empty space theory which is absolute nothing, including the existence of physics... I like physics.
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13 , edited 5/28/13
I do believe that there exists a misunderstanding among us. I meant it as in /the impossibility of nothing/ to such order....I had been told many times that I write confusingly. To Kyo
20552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/28/13

spacebat wrote:


minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:


I am aware of the possibility of something coming from nothing. Nothing existing, however, is no longer possible. It can no longer happen. However, it did exist, in a void before the universe. What I am trying to say is that the fact that there was nothing is proof, to me, that God does exist. He exists in nothing.
In response to the bold, while that was the basis of early religion in a different culture, calling that the religion of today, to me, is like calling yourself a macro-molecule.


So your argument is that God is Nothing; no space, no matter, no time, no physics no nothing. From nothing the universe appeared and to nothing is its eventual conclusion?

Cause I'm happy to bury the hatchet if this is what we all can agree on.

I'm not comfortable with string theory or Krauss's 3rd empty space theory which is absolute nothing, including the existence of physics... I like physics.

Some people come up with some crazy stuff, like string theory, bubble theory, saying there are multiple dimensions with different universes with different laws, though I do agree that before the Universe, it does not seem that physics could exist.
26446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / Our 3-D world. Or...
Offline
Posted 5/28/13
Here's the short version: I believe in a God, more specifically the Christian God. Science doesn't contradict God, and if you think it does you're ignorant to science and religion and need to do some reading. I've pondered God's existence for years. Christian radical groups against stuff like Gays, (and back in the day pokemon...) are stupid because they can't connect dots right.

Most people seem to think I'm atheist because I'm really "mathy" and "sciencey" but I'm a Christian. I've been in a 2 1/2 year period of agnosticism, and I've gone and looked into several different religions in spare time if I was really that bored. I've had several questions and doubts about god and the teachings of the bible, to which I never really trusted a pastor or anything to affirm my question except my own mind. I've been in logical, moral, and philosophical debates with myself countless times about topics like, how did X occur, or is Y truly correct, perhaps Z is the right answer

Ultimately, I believe in science, I believe science was made by God. If you think Science disproves God, then you don't seem to understand that hypotheses can be proven wrong, and the only ones capable of proving God wrong are controversial/do not even have enough proof to be universally considered true anyway.

Topics like God's morality and if he's truly perfect are much more philosophical, and can't simply be answered in a yes or no.

However, some Christians are just stupid and interpret the bible either stupidly or corruptly. For example on the topic of Gays. God says that being gay is abominable. People take this and say I'M ANTI GAY, and ALL GAYS BURN IN HELL. What makes them stupid is God would still love them as people as much as you or me. Being gay in Christianity is weighted similarly as a sin, but we are all sinners, yet you don't see people in churches protesting against kids disrespecting their parents, I mean that one is written right on the 10 commandments.

If you want to ask me about anything explaining how the shit adam and eve are 1000+ years old, or what my favorite anime/manga is just hit me up.
First  Prev  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.