Remove this ad
First  Prev  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
12030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
Christian faith, I choose to believe in something rather than nothing.
9136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/4/13
I believe religion should be deep personal connection with God, You don't do things because "it's part of religion", it's because you actually want to and feel blessed doing it.
10436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / always in my litt...
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

logic603 wrote:

I'm agnostic for the simple fact that my family forced religion down on me when I was younger.


my family, school and society forced it down real good on me too
im not religious now
i know there's a god but i am not going to be religious
going to church and all those traditions
4071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

akira_akiyama wrote:


logic603 wrote:

I'm agnostic for the simple fact that my family forced religion down on me when I was younger.


my family, school and society forced it down real good on me too
im not religious now
i know there's a god but i am not going to be religious
going to church and all those traditions


Yup, Thank god there is someone like me. I live in a place with a mega church. Everyone and their mothers are religious and I'm the only one whose not. Everyday I pass by churches and its kinda great not having to deal with religion right now...after being forced to deal with it.
18364 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Florida, US
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
I'm a Jedi. lol no not really I'm pastafarian. But really there is a church of jediism.
1204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / The good ole US o...
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
No. Not at all. Abrahamic faiths are bronze age myths, and are entirely incompatible with a modern secular humanist society.

Since we, as a species, have no way of knowing everything there is to know about the universe, I would declare myself an agnostic. Some mysteries will never be solved, but I don't want to fill in those great mysterious blanks with ancient legends.
10436 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / always in my litt...
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

logic603 wrote:


akira_akiyama wrote:


logic603 wrote:

I'm agnostic for the simple fact that my family forced religion down on me when I was younger.


my family, school and society forced it down real good on me too
im not religious now
i know there's a god but i am not going to be religious
going to church and all those traditions


Yup, Thank god there is someone like me. I live in a place with a mega church. Everyone and their mothers are religious and I'm the only one whose not. Everyday I pass by churches and its kinda great not having to deal with religion right now...after being forced to deal with it.

i live near my uni so i walk there every day and there's 2 churches in the way lol
yes everyone here just expects you to be a good little catholic church teenager
that wont have sex until marriage and will have communion every sunday
yeah okay
1287 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
I'm not super religious, but I do still believe in my religion. Currently I'm trying to have a better insight on how to be a better Catholic.
16021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

oh. i'm atheist. i just think religion is kinda silly.


People that say this need to get off their high horse. This mindset seems to be the new flavor of the month and it's pretty much exactly why r/atheism over at reddit is now despised. Who would have guessed that atheists often being persecuted and at the sharp end of the mob mentality turn that same behavior around and attack people that believe in religion.

Most atheists nowadays are the people they look down on.
4071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

akira_akiyama wrote:


logic603 wrote:


akira_akiyama wrote:


logic603 wrote:

I'm agnostic for the simple fact that my family forced religion down on me when I was younger.


my family, school and society forced it down real good on me too
im not religious now
i know there's a god but i am not going to be religious
going to church and all those traditions


Yup, Thank god there is someone like me. I live in a place with a mega church. Everyone and their mothers are religious and I'm the only one whose not. Everyday I pass by churches and its kinda great not having to deal with religion right now...after being forced to deal with it.

i live near my uni so i walk there every day and there's 2 churches in the way lol
yes everyone here just expects you to be a good little catholic church teenager
that wont have sex until marriage and will have communion every sunday
yeah okay


Haha here in the states its pretty much don't obey anything until Sunday and repent. Rinse and repeat 365 days a year,
Plena 
9347 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Ohio
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
I'm an athiest, but I believe the choice of what to believe is important. No one person should tell another what's right. We should all have the chance to reach a conclusion on our own.
13135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / Near Detroit,MI
Offline
Posted 7/7/13

Plena wrote:
I believe the choice of what to believe is important. No one person should tell another what's right. We should all have the chance to reach a conclusion on our own.


That's the best way and I'm in agreement. I was born and grew up Christian/Lutheran. Ever since leaving home though (30 years), I've not really kept that up. I've been very frustrated with the whole scenario of "controlling" that seems to be there in the christian + evangelical sides of things. So much "you gotta do it this way, my way is the only way" just sets me off. (and recent news/events regarding creationism and so forth just annoy me). I am a very logical person. But with some variances.
I investigated (self, not going to groups,etc) Wicca and new age 'religions'. In a way, they have it right. Unsure about any gods/goddeses but the issue of "Do what you will, so long as it harms none" is a great wisdom that can be applicable over all religions. It's very logical, and forces people to think about their actions and if they would hurt anyone by doing an action. I may not participate in a religion anymore...but I do try to live by this rule.

Current religions seem to put more focus on the control aspect (no matter who they hurt) and they do so with fear.
16456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
While I was being raised, my family was Catholic, but it wasn't really forced upon me. I believed in God, but I didn't really think Holy Books were really an explanation. For instance, when I read about giants, I thought, "Why did they think that?" I figured it was because of the large buildings which appeared to have to have been built by giants. I found later on that I love science. You get to understand the way things work, how things happen, even how the Universe itself works. I particularly took an interest to quantum physics and mechanics. I used science to get away from the constant arguing in my house. I used science to get away from it all. Well, that along with anime and manga, of course. It was all so interesting. Through this, I found debates of religion and "science". The ones on the side of religion were interpreting these books in quite the odd, and I found, wrong way. Through this, I again found Holy Books, and formed opinions of God, which I find myself to be absolutely true. I was not inhibited by what I was born into, but found belief, which is actually quite the mix of many religions, by way of science. I did not find this belief in ignorance or fear; when I learned about of death, I just felt quite neutral about it, it was something that happened, why worry about it? I found my belief through a study of science and found beliefs which, coincidentally, are also beliefs of other religions, which I had not studied.
25044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/7/13 , edited 7/7/13

Dspokes wrote:

I am religious, why? I don't want to go to hell.

Enjoy your stay atheists.


This right here is the EXACT reason I'm NOT religious. It uses fear to control and manipulate people. I always laughed at the phrase "God Fearing" . If you are religious YOU SHOULD NOT FEAR GOD. If the only reason you are religious is because you do fear god... the idea behind that is so contradictory. If there really is a god and he is omnipotent he should be able to see who is good and who is bad. A killer should not be able to get into heaven just because he asks for forgiveness OUT OF FEAR. I don't want to be an ass, but if the only reason you believe in god is because you don't want to go to hell.. I hope this omnipotent being isn't so naive.


PS - I have no problem believing in something above us, be it aliens/gods/whatever. However, the religions that men have written... just look at Scientology... L. Ron Hubbard... a science fiction author.. QUOTED saying.. "You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." ... Now there are people following his religion all over.. throwing their money at it...

PSS -- JEEZZZ look at these other quotes of his I never knew about..

"THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN CONTROL PEOPLE IS TO LIE TO THEM. You can write that down in your book in great big letters. The only way you can control anybody is to lie to them." L. Ron Hubbard

"Scientology ... is not a religion." L. Ron Hubbard

And yet... people follow and argue it..

16304 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/7/13
My family is religious, but they don't force me to go to church or anything like that.
First  Prev  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.