First  Prev  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
Posted 7/8/13 , edited 7/8/13

natsume665 wrote:

Personally, I believe that there is a difference between "Religion" and "Faith". Religion is the structure in which Faith is practiced. The biggest difference between the two for me is that Religion is structured by fellow men. That in itself isn't a bad thing and I am in no way against structured religion. However, there are certain practices that are encouraged by my Religion that I necessarily don't believe in, and therefore not partake in.

I am Catholic. I'm confident that not a lot of people will believe me by saying that I experience God in my everyday life. Personally, He is much more than a best friend and a Father, than someone superior. Sure, I acknowledge His superiority in everything but it just feels like He stoops down to my level. He's just always there. Doesn't matter when I'm in the shower, taking a test, or during my "morning run" to the bus stop.

To answer the question, no: I am not religious. I, however, am faithful. I have my own set of beliefs that I hold true despite being Catholic. I have considered atheism long ago and, honestly, the thought that there is nothing out there "bigger" than me seems so bleak. Atheism is just too lonely for me.

That's all I want to say for now because I'm pretty sure I can write a whole book on my opinion on this. lol


I think the only difference between religion and faith is that a person can have faith and not acknowledge it. But the definition of religion is pretty much acknowledging the faith-engulfed figure that you have - "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods." That is the POV of an Omnist (IMO,) anyway. Someone Agnostic might say that the difference between faith and religion is that you don't have to be religious to have faith, but you do have to have faith to be religious.

And I disagree with the definition with the idea that the figure does not have to be human, super powers or not.

17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/8/13 , edited 7/8/13

anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

I think the only difference between religion and faith is that a person can have faith and not acknowledge it. But the definition of religion is pretty much acknowledging the faith-engulfed figure that you have - "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods." That is the POV of an Omnist (IMO,) anyway. Someone Agnostic might say that the difference between faith and religion is that you don't have to be religious to have faith, but you do have to have faith to be religious.

And I disagree with the definition with the idea that the figure does not have to be human, super powers or not.




There is no difference between religion and faith. The reason why religious people prefer the term "faith" is because religion has built a bad reputation over the years so saying you have "faith" sounds better and more palatable. You never hear anyone saying they are religious now. They are all taught to say they are people of "faith" or that they have a "relationship with god." It's all propaganda in a PR battle.
Posted 7/8/13 , edited 7/8/13

bensonc120 wrote:


anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

I think the only difference between religion and faith is that a person can have faith and not acknowledge it. But the definition of religion is pretty much acknowledging the faith-engulfed figure that you have - "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods." That is the POV of an Omnist (IMO,) anyway. Someone Agnostic might say that the difference between faith and religion is that you don't have to be religious to have faith, but you do have to have faith to be religious.

And I disagree with the definition with the idea that the figure does not have to be human, super powers or not.




There is no difference between religion and faith. The reason why religious people prefer the term "faith" is because religion has built a bad reputation over the years so saying you have "faith" sounds better and more palatable.


You can't just toss out a theory as fact when someone has already countered your argument, and you've really made no attempt to discount theirs - well, you have, but it doesn't really hold any validity in comparison. I've already said how, from some standpoint (maybe a correct one,) there is a difference.

17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/8/13

anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

You can't just toss out a theory as fact when someone has already countered your argument, and you've really made no attempt to discount theirs - well, you have, but it doesn't really hold any validity in comparison. I've already said how, from some standpoint (maybe a correct one,) there is a difference.



It's not really an argument, it's just semantics ad how you choose to define each term. They mean the same thing but have different connotations. Are you a garbageman or a sanitations engineer? Secretary or administrative assistant? Priest or pedofile? These are all words that have the same meaning but with different connotations. There is a reason why a person who prefer one term over another.
69574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/8/13
No
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 7/8/13 , edited 7/8/13

I think the only difference between religion and faith is that a person can have faith and not acknowledge it. But the definition of religion is pretty much acknowledging the faith-engulfed figure that you have - "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

I still see "Religion" as the structure for it; kind of like "School" is to "Education". You don't need to go to "school" to "learn" but you have to "learn" when you are in "school". Besides, simply acknowledging a deity isn't religion. Furthermore, I do not believe that God is a "controlling force." I simply believe in Divine Providence. What we do with what He has given us is up to us despite His hopes of doing what He wants us to do with them. I see "Destiny" more of a GPS rather than a narrow road. It just changes routes when we don't follow the previous one yet ends up in the same destination.


There is no difference between religion and faith. The reason why religious people prefer the term "faith" is because religion has built a bad reputation over the years so saying you have "faith" sounds better and more palatable.

That is actually not true in my case. To be totally honest, I don't give a crap as to how other people see me. Therefore, I don't even consider the aesthetics of my belief. I still would argue that there is a difference.

Let me demonstrate:
"You have to go to receive the sacrament of Confirmation in order to be recognized as an adult by the Church." -Catholic Church

"It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear to be dismayed." -Deut 31:8
Posted 7/9/13

bensonc120 wrote:


anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

You can't just toss out a theory as fact when someone has already countered your argument, and you've really made no attempt to discount theirs - well, you have, but it doesn't really hold any validity in comparison. I've already said how, from some standpoint (maybe a correct one,) there is a difference.



It's not really an argument, it's just semantics ad how you choose to define each term. They mean the same thing but have different connotations. Are you a garbageman or a sanitations engineer? Secretary or administrative assistant? Priest or pedofile? These are all words that have the same meaning but with different connotations. There is a reason why a person who prefer one term over another.


Again, I haven't agree that they're the same thing, and I don't feel you've said anything to contradict my argument which is what it is, whether you choose to have accepted it or not. Have a good day.

17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

anti-lambsacrifice wrote:

Again, I haven't agree that they're the same thing, and I don't feel you've said anything to contradict my argument which is what it is, whether you choose to have accepted it or not. Have a good day.



Well, like I've said before, I'm not arguing with you or anyone. You don't need to agree with me. However, just curious, would you describe yourself as religious or a person of faith?
17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/9/13

natsume665 wrote:

That is actually not true in my case. To be totally honest, I don't give a crap as to how other people see me. Therefore, I don't even consider the aesthetics of my belief. I still would argue that there is a difference.


I would describe you as religious. I mean, I can deny that I'm an asian boy and say i'm beyond race and am human being... bottom line I'm an asian boy no matter how I choose to re-define myself.



natsume665 wrote:

Let me demonstrate:
"You have to go to receive the sacrament of Confirmation in order to be recognized as an adult by the Church." -Catholic Church

"It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear to be dismayed." -Deut 31:8


Both cases describe religious people/person. You don't have to go to organized church or temples to be religious, you can be religious at home. Someone who never goes to "church" but stays home and has a "relationship with god" or is into his/her "faith" is a religious person. Again,there's no difference it's just one term sounds better than another. If you believe in higher power or beings or spiritual whatevers then you are religious. "Faith" is no different and no better than "religious."
6098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Tulsa, Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 7/10/13
I don't really have a religion but I do believe that there is a god or gods.
5692 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Fortree City, Hoenn
Offline
Posted 7/10/13
Yes I am, very much indeed!

My family is religious and I was brought up to be religious as well.
525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/13
we all come from a god a god
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 7/10/13

bensonc120 wrote:
I would describe you as religious. I mean, I can deny that I'm an asian boy and say i'm beyond race and am human being... bottom line I'm an asian boy no matter how I choose to re-define myself.

Dude, that's so off topic. That's not what I meant at all. I'm not even trying to "redefine" myself. I do not see being religious as pathetic. In fact, I admire people who are religious. There's no point in "redefining" myself.


bensonc120 wrote:
Both cases describe religious people/person. You don't have to go to organized church or temples to be religious, you can be religious at home. Someone who never goes to "church" but stays home and has a "relationship with god" or is into his/her "faith" is a religious person. Again,there's no difference it's just one term sounds better than another. If you believe in higher power or beings or spiritual whatevers then you are religious. "Faith" is no different and no better than "religious."


I am not talking about "church". I'm talking about the "Church". There's a difference.
Before stating your opinion that's contradictory to someone else's beliefs, I BEG you to please at least put in the effort to understand what they mean in the first place.

If analogies don't help you see what I mean, then will grammatical definitions do?


To be honest, at this point I'm not really sure whether you're just ignorant or trolling. Either way, I say good day sir.
17757 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/10/13 , edited 7/10/13

natsume665 wrote:

If analogies don't help you see what I mean, then will grammatical definitions do?


To be honest, at this point I'm not really sure whether you're just ignorant or trolling. Either way, I say good day sir. :lol:


You are cherry picking definitions. If this was done intentionally then you are very intellectually dishonest. I will post the full unabridged definitions:



I learned English as a third language but many words have multiple definitions or meanings. Why would you pick the one definition of "faith" that is completely out of context with regard to religion? "confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability" vs "belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion?"
228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/13
Well I think religion is just an old way to describe things that are unknown to us. Just like the Greeks creating more than 1 god to describe every single aspect that is out of their control.
But I've been thinking that what if every single god from every religion coexisted in a world that rules over ours in democratic like rule, with each god taking turns ruling over humans
First  Prev  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.