Remove this ad
First  Prev  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20
Offline
Posted 7/10/13 , edited 7/10/13

bensonc120 wrote:
You are cherry picking definitions. If this was done intentionally then you are very intellectually dishonest.
...
I learned English as a third language but many words have multiple definitions or meanings. Why would you pick the one definition of "faith" that is completely out of context with regard to religion? "confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability" vs "belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion?"


Dude, you said it yourself: "many words have multiple definitions or meanings." If that is so, why, then, are you insisting that faith and religion are the same thing? All I was trying to say is that when people talk about "religion", most people use the terms "religion" and "faith" interchangeably and that I do not. If you can't even see that, that's fine. I understand 'cause not a lot of people do. It's really hard to explain things when you're conveying something through a screen.

Sir, please remember that I am solely defending my own point of view. Please keep in mind that all I'm trying to do is show you where I'm coming from with my belief. It is not my intention to deceive you or make you believe me.

Besides, the only reason I brought that up in the first place is so that I can give my pure, honest answer to the question "are you religious?". If I were to answer the question "Are you religious?", I would flat out say no. However, I did not want to answer just for the sake of answering and wanted to share a part of me with people who are honestly questioning their faith whether it's Atheism or Deism and therefore had to give a little sort-of "introduction" to my belief.

If you are completely stuck on the Faith vs Religion part, then you sir have missed the point completely. Another, it's not a matter of English and grammar. By the way, neither is it my first language and that's another point you've missed entirely.

I'm done. Have a good life.
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/10/13

natsume665 wrote:

[q If that is so, why, then, are you insisting that faith and religion are the same thing?


I'm going by the definitions in the dictionary. I'm sorry if that is disagreeable to you.


natsume665 wrote:
All I was trying to say is that when people talk about "religion", most people use the terms "religion" and "faith" interchangeably and that I do not. If you can't even see that, that's fine. I understand 'cause not a lot of people do. It's really hard to explain things when you're conveying something through a screen.

Sir, please remember that I am solely defending my own point of view. Please keep in mind that all I'm trying to do is show you where I'm coming from with my belief. It is not my intention to deceive you or make you believe me.


That's fine. All I'm saying is that you are arbitrarily re-defining words. "Most people" go by the actual definitions of words.



natsume665 wrote:

Besides, the only reason I brought that up in the first place is so that I can give my pure, honest answer to the question "are you religious?". If I were to answer the question "Are you religious?", I would flat out say no.


You would be wrong. You are religious, based on the standard English definition of "religious." Now, if you choose to re-define the word then yeah, you can pretty much say whatever you want to say. None of it has to make sense or be accurate, but if it make you happy or express your individuality better, more power to you!

Peace
Canute 
26194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 7/10/13

bensonc120 wrote:

atheist. in reason i trust.


Have you heard of C. S. Lewis's argument for the existence of God based on the fact that people have reason? After all, if a reasonable Being did not create us, then our reason is the result of the random combinations of atoms. If the brain was created randomly, why should it be other than random. As C. S. Lewis put it, either mind came from matter or matter from mind? Which is truly the more rational way to view the question?

Anyway, here's an article on the argument: http://jonathangroover.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/c-s-lewis-and-the-argument-from-reason-an-examination-and-modified-defense-conclusion/
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/10/13 , edited 7/10/13

Canute wrote:


bensonc120 wrote:

atheist. in reason i trust.


Have you heard of C. S. Lewis's argument for the existence of God based on the fact that people have reason? After all, if a reasonable Being did not create us, then our reason is the result of the random combinations of atoms. If the brain was created randomly, why should it be other than random. As C. S. Lewis put it, either mind came from matter or matter from mind? Which is truly the more rational way to view the question?

Anyway, here's an article on the argument: http://jonathangroover.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/c-s-lewis-and-the-argument-from-reason-an-examination-and-modified-defense-conclusion/


Yes, a reasonable being did create me, two reasonable beings actually- my mom and dad. My brain developed reason from a combination of my life experiences, education, and parent upbringing, not randomly. To answer your last question, intelligent design is the very opposite of reason.
Posted 7/11/13
i don't have one was never signed to one

never fort about i just live my life
6306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / CA
Offline
Posted 7/11/13
I wasn't there to know if it was a jehova wittness or not but being in a family of jehova's witnesses i highly doubt one of them told you to go to "hell" becuase we don't believe hell is a real place . we believe it is symbolic for something else but we don't believe bad people go there when they die, we just believe bad people die and then no longer exist (not that i believe your a bad -person at all). So maybe you got a witness mixed up with mormons?
Canute 
26194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Online
Posted 7/11/13 , edited 7/11/13

bensonc120 Yes, a reasonable being did create me, two reasonable beings actually- my mom and dad. My brain developed reason from a combination of my life experiences, education, and parent upbringing, not randomly. To answer your last question, intelligent design is the very opposite of reason.


But, of course you realize the problem with that right? C. S. Lewis was speaking about why reason exists at all. Why should moral truths exist if there is no moral structure to the universe? Why should higher reason exist if natural happiness was all we had to look forward to? After all, the most closely related animals to us, apes, chimpanzees, etc., get along just fine without reason. If there is no point to moral thinking and reason, does it not seem absurd that human beings come equipped with these things?

And, while God could just as easily have used evolution as intelligent design to get the natural world to be the way it is, I think that intelligent design is much more reasonable than atheists' understanding of the world. Atheists view the material universe as not having a rational designer. But, the conditions for life to exist on earth are very precise. If they were off just a little bit, life would be impossible here. Then, the standard understanding of evolution is that protein compounds came together and were shocked into life. Somehow, very random and miraculous mutations in these protein compounds brought life from single celled bacteria to all the diverse life forms in the earth's history.

The atheistic mindset rather kicks reason to the curb compared to the Christian understanding of a reasonable Creator guiding evolution along. So, I ask again why any creature should possess reason in a purely material universe? To link this to an anime, Suisei no Gargantia, why should we be Homo Sapiens instead of Hideauze? And if you say that evolution just happened that way, doesn't that indicate that you have an absurdist rather than rationalist understanding of human beings?
1391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 7/11/13
I am not religious. I'd classify myself as an Agnostic. I understand the reason why some people need religion. I don't have anything against religion or religious people, but I hate it when people force their beliefs onto others. Regardless of what flavor of religion they may or may not like.
8008 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/13
I dont have a religious belief but to each their own when people ask me I say I don't believe they usually respond in a very UN ethical maner but never the less I don't let that bother me I just comment that their judging me an saying I'm going to go to Hell is kinda against certain religions due to the cause that their beliefs is to be kind an not judge or send what in a way is a threat
14735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/11/13 , edited 7/11/13

Canute wrote:

But, of course you realize the problem with that right? C. S. Lewis was speaking about why reason exists at all. Why should moral truths exist if there is no moral structure to the universe? Why should higher reason exist if natural happiness was all we had to look forward to? After all, the most closely related animals to us, apes, chimpanzees, etc., get along just fine without reason. If there is no point to moral thinking and reason, does it not seem absurd that human beings come equipped with these things?


Reason and morality exist as a tool to combat the mindless indoctrination of christianity and other religions throughout history. They exist to enable human beings to live life to the fullest without any delusions of an eternal afterlife. It enables us atheists to be loving, compassionate, free, and be morally sound. These is definitely a point to moral thinking and reason, and no, not all humans beings come equipped with these things. Prominence of religion among people currently and throughout history is the greatest evidence of that.


Canute wrote:
And, while god could just as easily have used evolution as intelligent design to get the natural world to be the way it is, I think that intelligent design is much more reasonable than atheists' understanding of the world. Atheists view the material universe as not having a rational designer. But, the conditions for life to exist on earth are very precise. If they were off just a little bit, life would be impossible here. Then, the standard understanding of evolution is that protein compounds came together and were shocked into life. Somehow, very random and miraculous mutations in these protein compounds brought life from single celled bacteria to all the diverse life forms in the earth's history.


Yes, god could've, but he didn't. See there is this thing called a bible, and if you are a christian, you accept the bible as the contested truth and word of god. In this story book, buried within the mistakes-filled pages of text, is a christian version of the beginning called the genesis. That is your version. If you have a different version than the genesis, then it will most likely be more plausible, but it won't be genesis and it won't be the christian version. We atheists are open to possibilities as long as they are supported by evidence and facts. We don't conveniently overlook data or try to mold evidence to fit our theories.


Canute wrote:
The atheistic mindset rather kicks reason to the curb compared to the Christian understanding of a reasonable Creator guiding evolution along. So, I ask again why any creature should possess reason in a purely material universe? To link this to an anime, Suisei no Gargantia, why should we be Homo Sapiens instead of Hideauze? And if you say that evolution just happened that way, doesn't that indicate that you have an absurdist rather than rationalist understanding of human beings?


This speaks only to your limitations. Atheism is the very essence of reason. We base our thinking and morality on reason. An absurdist view would be to blindly believe the imaginations of bronze age shepherds as absolute truths, despite the volume of in inherent conflicts and flaws within those very tales. Why should any creature possess reason? How about the immeasurable value of reason and morality in helping us live our life to the fullest and to see past false claims.

There is no nice way to put this, so brutally honest is the best way: you have to be incredibly stupid to take the bible literally.




14 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 7/11/13 , edited 7/11/13
Im just an agnostic because i dont really care for religion but Im not really against it. The only thing i actually kinda hate about some Christians is that sometimesthey are just a little too desperate to change people to they´re religion. But thats just me not liking desperate people .
279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Long Beach
Offline
Posted 7/11/13
The thing is, my family is Christian and whatever and I'm supposed to be Christian, but I just don't really 'care' about religion... like it doesn't matter to me. I guess you can say I'm a "carefree Christian"? I don't know the word where you're a certain religion but you just don't care.
125 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 7/11/13
So many things have been confirmed to be incorrect or untrue in the bible, and in other religious texts. I can't find myself worshipping a deity who has shown the world no mercy as a benevolent god should. I haven't seen any miracles happen in my life when I did believe in religion. Science has so much more truth into it, and it doesn't have any stupid items within it. I don't have a religion. I'm not an athiest nor an agnostic. I have no religion whatsoever.
61103 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hawaii
Offline
Posted 7/12/13 , edited 7/12/13
I wouldn't really consider myself "religious" but I am faithful and devoted in terms of the words of God written in the bible. I was born and raised within the church but I don't go out there shoving my belief in other people's throat. I think the world is too much to not believe in any form of higher being. Believing in God separated me from the typical YOLO type of life that people these days tend to live. I've received a lot of blessings in these life and it would be very arrogant of me not to recognize them. I've faced MANY troubles and hardships along the way but believing in God strengthened me. I guess it's an inner thing also which makes the reason why believing in God so hard to describe.
13092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Winter Springs, FL
Online
Posted 7/12/13
yes, and why not? if there is no God then there is no real harm, as long as I don't force my beliefs on others there should be no problem.
First  Prev  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.