First  Prev  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
146 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Toronto , Ontario...
Offline
Posted 7/19/13

Thfelese wrote:

Yes. and my religion is hatred .



My religion is love

Jesus saved me in this world. Not some delusional world. This world.

You are loved. That is all.
128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Arlington, TX
Offline
Posted 7/19/13 , edited 7/19/13

Jsybird2532 Furthermore, I haven't felt the need to find another religion. I am currently content with being atheist given a lack of attachment to any other religion (they all think they're right anyway, so who is actually correct lol? imo it's more mature to just say "I don't know" (which is the true definition of atheism, not what society considers atheism in the USA for some strange reason, which actually refers to nontheism)), but I am open to whatever comes along in my journey through life.

That's not the true definition of atheism at all. Atheists make a definitive judgement regarding religion, that is; 'none are correct'. What you're talking about is closer to agnosticism.
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F / the middle of now...
Offline
Posted 7/19/13
ummmm yes in a way i am
24328 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / NY
Offline
Posted 7/19/13

SoundAndFury wrote:


Jsybird2532 Furthermore, I haven't felt the need to find another religion. I am currently content with being atheist given a lack of attachment to any other religion (they all think they're right anyway, so who is actually correct lol? imo it's more mature to just say "I don't know" (which is the true definition of atheism, not what society considers atheism in the USA for some strange reason, which actually refers to nontheism)), but I am open to whatever comes along in my journey through life.

That's not the true definition of atheism at all. Atheists make a definitive judgement regarding religion, that is; 'none are correct'. What you're talking about is closer to agnosticism.


Wrong, see the spoiler:

128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Arlington, TX
Offline
Posted 7/19/13

Jsybird2532 wrote:


SoundAndFury wrote:


Jsybird2532 Furthermore, I haven't felt the need to find another religion. I am currently content with being atheist given a lack of attachment to any other religion (they all think they're right anyway, so who is actually correct lol? imo it's more mature to just say "I don't know" (which is the true definition of atheism, not what society considers atheism in the USA for some strange reason, which actually refers to nontheism)), but I am open to whatever comes along in my journey through life.

That's not the true definition of atheism at all. Atheists make a definitive judgement regarding religion, that is; 'none are correct'. What you're talking about is closer to agnosticism.


Wrong, see the spoiler:


Precisely. Agnosticism holds that the existence of god is unknowable, thus, 'I don't know'. Atheism posits an outright disbelief in god, thus its position is not, 'I don't know'.
Posted 7/19/13 , edited 7/19/13
That "going to Hell" thing is straight up manipulative. And it's sad how many children go through the traumatic experience of being told they'll burn in Hell if they don't believe in God - especially when I strongly believe some of us are incapable of doing so. I am consistently told BS by the Christian community, such as, "Every other god is our God." What gives you the right to say that? Children are impressionable - but at some point, I believe they grow to be able to make their own decisions. I think some of you are AFRAID TO, but if you want to be as content as you possibly can, you have no choice.
22650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/19/13

bensonc120 wrote:


Doryphoros wrote:

im too scared of going to hell to not be religious so i worship god to get a chance to go to heaven


There are over 1000 religions how do you know you have the right one?


Let's play a game. How about you name 10 religions. The rules are: they must be, at present, having at least 10,000 followers, not be denominations of the same religion (for example, Christianity would count as 1 religion, while Roman Catholic would be a denomination.), and it must be a religion where the person following said religion accepts it (for example, Shinto wouldn't count, because, while most Japanese consider themselves nonreligious, Shinto considers anyone having taken any participation at a shrine as a member.) If you can, you get 500 points, which can be used for nothing.
19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/19/13 , edited 7/19/13
I've got a better game, let's play google:

1. Christianity - 2106962000 supporters - The Bible, in its many translations
2. Islam - 1283424000 - the Quran
3. Hinduism - 851,291,000 - the Vedic Writings
4. Chinese religions - 402,065,000 - no single book
5. Buddhism - 375,440,000 - teachings of Buddha
6. Skihismo - 24,989,000 - no single book
7. Judaism - 14,990,000 - the Torah
8. Spiritualism - 12882000 - no book
9. Baha'i Faith - 7,496,000 - unknown
10. Confucianism - 6,447,000 - writings of Confucius

Within each, the difference between each denomination is so great it really is very misleading to still categorize them as denominations. For example, mormon vs catholics vs protestant
22650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/19/13

bensonc120 wrote:

I've got a better game, let's play google:

1. Christianity - 2106962000 supporters - The Bible, in its many translations
2. Islam - 1283424000 - the Quran
3. Hinduism - 851,291,000 - the Vedic Writings
4. Chinese religions - 402,065,000 - no single book
5. Buddhism - 375,440,000 - teachings of Buddha
6. Skihismo - 24,989,000 - no single book
7. Judaism - 14,990,000 - the Torah
8. Spiritualism - 12882000 - no book
9. Baha'i Faith - 7,496,000 - unknown
10. Confucianism - 6,447,000 - writings of Confucius

Within each, the difference between each denomination is so great it really is very misleading to still categorize them as denominations. For example, mormon vs catholics vs protestant


Confucianism would count in Chinese Religions, while Chinese Religions is too broad. Also, spiritualism is more of a belief than a religion. Just name a couple of different Chinese Religions, and you win.
Also, while there are differences in religious denominations, while they count themselves as a the same religion, it should be counted as one religion. (Though Mormonism is founded on an unrecognized, almost certainly false, prophet, and mentions many celestial beings and endless celestial sex, it is one of the more radical differences.
19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/20/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:

Confucianism would count in Chinese Religions, while Chinese Religions is too broad. Also, spiritualism is more of a belief than a religion. Just name a couple of different Chinese Religions, and you win.
Also, while there are differences in religious denominations, while they count themselves as a the same religion, it should be counted as one religion. (Though Mormonism is founded on an unrecognized, almost certainly false, prophet, and mentions many celestial beings and endless celestial sex, it is one of the more radical differences.


I get what you are trying to say. You can go either way though. When you look at christian, it is based off the egyptian religion and pagan sun worship so you can even consider christian as a sub denomination. You can arbitrarily set criteria to argue that there are not that many religions in the world if you want, but the fact remains people have very many different beliefs. There are thousands of different view points when it comes to religion. So when the original poster said she wanted to be safe than sorry- pascal's wager obviously, my point is that odds are still very low when you consider that you need to choose correctly out of the thousands of choices still.

Perfect example is how you describe mormonism. Maybe you think it is "almost certainly false," but I'm sure mormons think the same thing about your beliefs.

Just curious, what is your point in this game? What's the purpose of coming up with 10 religions? And why the need for your arbitrary criteria for what qualifies?
22650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 7/20/13

bensonc120 wrote:


minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:

Confucianism would count in Chinese Religions, while Chinese Religions is too broad. Also, spiritualism is more of a belief than a religion. Just name a couple of different Chinese Religions, and you win.
Also, while there are differences in religious denominations, while they count themselves as a the same religion, it should be counted as one religion. (Though Mormonism is founded on an unrecognized, almost certainly false, prophet, and mentions many celestial beings and endless celestial sex, it is one of the more radical differences.


I get what you are trying to say. You can go either way though. When you look at christian, it is based off the egyptian religion and pagan sun worship so you can even consider christian as a sub denomination. You can arbitrarily set criteria to argue that there are not that many religions in the world if you want, but the fact remains people have very many different beliefs. There are thousands of different view points when it comes to religion. So when the original poster said she wanted to be safe than sorry- pascal's wager obviously, my point is that odds are still very low when you consider that you need to choose correctly out of the thousands of choices still.

Perfect example is how you describe mormonism. Maybe you think it is "almost certainly false," but I'm sure mormons think the same thing about your beliefs.

Just curious, what is your point in this game? What's the purpose of coming up with 10 religions? And why the need for your arbitrary criteria for what qualifies?

Firstly, the belief that Christianity is based off of an Egyptian religion and Pagan sun worship, according to all serious Egyptian scholars appears to hold little ground. Mormonism and its prophet are, in my opinion, such as Scientology. The purpose of the game is to expand our horizons on beliefs of others. Ten isn't too much to overload, but isn't too little. The criteria, which you call arbitrary, are simply to find beliefs that people currently believe in. It shouldn't be considered if there are less than 10,000 believers, because then it most likely holds very little water. It should be a religion of current peoples because, otherwise it should not be considered a serious religion of people currently, because there are little to no peoples who believe in it.
Bavalt 
15624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/20/13
'God' is such a vague, versatile term that it's difficult to tell what people mean when they speak of it. In practice, I'm agnostic, in that I believe it's impossible to prove one way or another that there's anything out there in terms of a higher power. We humans are limited by what our five senses can perceive, so there's no telling what else there might be to interact with in the universe that we simply have no window to understanding because we lack to ability to sense it.

That said, since I'm more in-tune with possibilities than I am with facts, I'm perfectly capable of believing that there's something out there and coming up with theories as to what it might be, but I can also simultaneously believe in nothing. I'm the type who doesn't much care about what actually is, as long as what could be is interesting. I just don't let my daydreams interfere with my actions, and so I don't judge people for either being religious or atheistic. In fact, I have a certain amount of respect for those who are, as they're more grounded and practical than I am.
27835 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / rubbish bin
Offline
Posted 7/20/13
basicly u can find it easier if u think and willing to find it and do it , is easy
19761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/20/13

minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:
Firstly, the belief that Christianity is based off of an Egyptian religion and Pagan sun worship, according to all serious Egyptian scholars appears to hold little ground.


That's simply not true. Elements of egyptian religion and pagan rituals, which precede christianity, are very prominent in the modern christian practices, from shared holidays, recycled stories, shared rituals. To dismiss the evidence so easily is intellectually dishonest. There are many scholars who support this theory. Obviously if you are a christian scholar you are going to dismiss it since it does not fit the christian paradigm.


minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:
Mormonism and its prophet are, in my opinion, such as Scientology. The purpose of the game is to expand our horizons on beliefs of others. Ten isn't too much to overload, but isn't too little. The criteria, which you call arbitrary, are simply to find beliefs that people currently believe in. It shouldn't be considered if there are less than 10,000 believers, because then it most likely holds very little water. It should be a religion of current peoples because, otherwise it should not be considered a serious religion of people currently, because there are little to no peoples who believe in it.


Those criteria are arbitrary because you measure a religion's relevance differently than others. For me, the number of believers or the time period of a religion's prominence are not the measuring stick of that religion's relevance. I believe a religion that emphasize morality and philosophy of life is more relevant than a religion that focus on misrepresenting its stories as history, regardless of number of believers of time period.
Posted 7/20/13 , edited 7/20/13

bensonc120 wrote:

I've got a better game, let's play google:


Google has a religion?! Already?! Nooooooooo
First  Prev  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.