First  Prev  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/21/13

nanikore2 wrote:


bensonc120 wrote:

Are you just not understanding the standard English definitions of the words "religion" and "faith?" Dictionary.com or the merriam-webster site are good places to check out.


It appears that you're the one who needs help understanding, since I've already said that the definition of religion can indeed exclude two main definitions of faith. The terms are not mutually inclusive. Do you know what "mutually inclusive" means?


LMAO Ok genius so when you stated you have "faithful devotion" you are referring to definition 1, 2, and 4? Because if you are referring the definitions 3 and 5 then "faith" is the exact same as "religion." When referring to and in the context of spirituality, the terms "faith" and "religion" are indeed 100% mutually inclusive.

faith [feyth] Show IPA
noun
1.
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/21/13

WaterElixer wrote:

Why do you need to question people's beliefs at all? Why does there need to be judging? Just let people believe in what they want to believe in, period. You come off as rude when you decide that you're the only one that's right and blind idiots need to accept what you, and ONLY YOU, have to say. How's that fair? Why do you feel the need to have to tell people they're wrong just because they have a different way of looking at life?

And also, from your last post, don't act like since I'm young that I don't know anything. Show some respect to a fellow human being.


“If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” - Carl Sagan
88282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
Nope. Too much work.
10059 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
I'm not religious, as in devout, but I do believe in God and practice it somewhat - I'm Muslim btw. I also love science - I'm starting a chemistry degree this year. I don't think religion and science are mutually exclusive, you can have both in your life.
16214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
It's kind of an awkward thing isn't it?

I mean, as someone who isn't religious I can say that I don't understand why people believe in any sort of god, but if they find comfort and sense in such ways, well... More power to those people.

It's called Tolerance, people.
Something that's non-existent on the internet so it seems :)

However, it does get to me that I know that several Religions informs its followers that anyone that doesn't follow in the path of their "light" is bound to be punished in their afterlife.
It's a very destructive and non-tolerant way of looking at other people, and I think it's absolute rubbish that no bible seems to encourage tolerance whatsoever.

Posted 7/21/13 , edited 7/21/13

yoboyholiday wrote:

I'm Muslim and truth be told when it comes to Religions Islam is the most logical one. Unlike Christianity and Judaism we our Holy book The Qur'an witch have been wrote over 1400 years ago has not changed one bit plus • It contains many Scientific Statements even though it has remained exactly the same for over 1400 years - This is accepted by everyone !
For Example It Describes:
 Embryology (How a baby forms – Read Prof. Keith Moore)
 The Big Bang Theory (The Start of The Universe)
 The Expanding Universe
 How Gravity Works (Planets 'Swim' in Orbits)
 The Construction of Mountains
 The Water Cycle (Formation of Clouds)
 Pain receptors in the skin
and also • It contains God’s challenge - to try and produce even one chapter like it. This still stands today !
• It was given to a man who could neither read nor write.
• It’s words have the effect of changing peoples’ lives.
• It does not contain a single contradiction despite the fact it was revealed over a period of 23 years.
• It has produced ‘The Largest Practiced Religion’ of about 1.7 billion followers and ‘The Fastest Growing Religion’.

So please look in to This beautiful and do not let the Media cloud your judgement. The Qur’an contains Good News and a Warning.
For those who worship The One Almighty God and follow the example of The Messengers of God, there is Good News of success in this life as well as Eternal Paradise in The Hereafter. Those who reject the message are warned of The Hell-fire. The Messengers of Almighty God include:
Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them).



No harm in looking
ZinLP 
11561 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
I'm not religious, but I understand why people have one.
Nyeko 
35972 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Fineland
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
Search for the truth and you will find it eventually. I've found the truth in Bible and I've accepted Jesus as my personal Savior.
2238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / old dirty road in...
Offline
Posted 7/21/13 , edited 7/21/13


Flowcharts make everything easier to understand
18758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/13 , edited 7/21/13

bensonc120 wrote:


minatothegreatjiraiya wrote:
Firstly, the belief that Christianity is based off of an Egyptian religion and Pagan sun worship, according to all serious Egyptian scholars appears to hold little ground.


That's simply not true. Elements of egyptian religion and pagan rituals, which precede christianity, are very prominent in the modern christian practices, from shared holidays, recycled stories, shared rituals. To dismiss the evidence so easily is intellectually dishonest. There are many scholars who support this theory. Obviously if you are a christian scholar you are going to dismiss it since it does not fit the christian paradigm.



Correlation does not imply causation. Much of Christianity, including early followers, involved Egypt. It is only natural that they share some of the same traditions. The point of the game was to learn of other peoples' beliefs, not the beliefs of others whom cannot mutually share such connections.
18758 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/21/13
Apparently, from what I have gathered, some people are afraid of death. Why? When I learned of death, I just thought of it as a natural process. Why be afraid?
When I started learning of the world, it led to beliefs of God, which, to my surprised delight, had already been instilled as actual beliefs, but I had a large mixture of many beliefs.
Apparently, the Bible, the Holy Book of the Christians, are seen by some as having negative influences. The Bible clearly states, (paraphrasing) "The LORD is a God of love. The LORD is a God of war."
He is God, the One True God of all of humanity, the bad and good. He makes difficult decisions, at least, as it would appear to us, showing His Infinite Wisdom in trying times to us humans. That's what I think the Bible says. Though, on a deeper connection, He does all things for a good reason, and doesn't really do bad things.
My beef with all of this is that people argue with basically the same thought processes. I'm right, which is good. You are wrong, which is bad.
4675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/21/13



So sad to witness the product of indoctrination. Yes you are right, anything negative about the bible is taken out of context. Only the positive elements are taken within the correct context. How convenient.


I don't see any real refute. How extremely convenient.
4675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/21/13


LMAO Ok genius so when you stated you have "faithful devotion" you are referring to definition 1, 2, and 4? Because if you are referring the definitions 3 and 5 then "faith" is the exact same as "religion." When referring to and in the context of spirituality, the terms "faith" and "religion" are indeed 100% mutually inclusive.

faith [feyth] Show IPA
noun
1.
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4.
belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.


Definition 1 and 2 are not inclusive when it comes to the definition of religion. What is so hard to get about that?
4675 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 7/21/13

YepImaNerd wrote:



Flowcharts make everything easier to understand :P


That chart does not describe the precise function of science, and the activity of doing science.
What is the nature as well as the aim of double blind experiments when it comes to medications? Is it determining efficacy or the actual description of how the medication works? Look into that topic.

Meanwhile, this is something I've written a few years ago.

================

What Science Does And Does Not Do

Let's say that we witness two things, A and B. B comes after A, and as far as we can tell, B is "caused" by A.

A ---> B

We confirm this by doing stuff so that whenever A happens, B seems to always happen after A. Do this a lot of times (more than a few), and this is become somewhat of a "law."

A ---> B
A ---> B
A ---> B
A ---> B
A ---> B
A ---> B
A ---> B

We soon have better ways of figuring things out (technological advances), and pretty soon we start to see that there are more "steps" that go between A and B

A ---> A1 ---> B
A ---> A1 ---> A2 ---> A3 ---> B
A ---> A1a-->A1b-->A1c-->A2a-->A2b-->A2c-->A3a-->A3b-->A3c-->B

Actually, this division can go on downwards pretty much forever, until you hit a "wall of non-explanation"...

"We have the protons and neutrons of an atom which are made up of even smaller subatomic particles, but what is holding those together? The nuclear forces should be pushing those apart... All the atoms in the universe should all be flying apart by now... Wait, we have detected some evidence that something must be holding them together. Since it sort of "glues" the subatomic particles together we'll call it GLUONS..." (hmm ok, so what makes up these "gluons?" Let's play "dissect a gluon" and see what happens next)

or

"At the base of evolution is genetic mutation, which is caused by some kind of gene damage via the collision of high-energy particles to the DNA or carcinogenic (or otherwise disruptive/distabilizing) substances to the same..." (...which goes back to "what made up those chemicals" and "what produces that high energy radiation" and the question ultimately ends up going back to the sort of stuff you see in physics, like I described earlier)


So basically, science describe things in smaller and smaller steps, and predicts how things would repeat in a more and more accurate basis, but never actually manages to explain exactly how or why any of these "smallest steps" have to happen at all. Why do anything change, at all? Divide things long enough, and you get a really small piece that you don't really have a good explanation for, other than "it looks to always goes to this next step if we have this other step before" So what?

Science describes and predicts phenomena. It never "explains" any of it.


It does't have to. That's actually not what science is for.

Science is about the knowledge of the physical universe. Scientists don't do metaphysics**, and they don't do "metaphysical experiments" to "test the density of a person's spirit," because there's no such thing as "metaphysical experiments."

Notes:

**metaphysics- the philosophical investigation of the overall nature of reality
16753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Los Angeles, CA
Offline
Posted 7/21/13 , edited 7/21/13

nanikore2 wrote:




So sad to witness the product of indoctrination. Yes you are right, anything negative about the bible is taken out of context. Only the positive elements are taken within the correct context. How convenient.


I don't see any real refute. How extremely convenient.


Because the bible is irrefutable. According to you, anything negative is taken out of context anyway. Only the good parts should be taken literally. How can you argue that?
First  Prev  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.