First  Prev  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  Next  Last
Post Reply are you religious? if so, why?
21817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / FL
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13

cpblair83 wrote:

Well, it has certainly turned into its own little argument.

Purpose, god, and meaning - these are all human concepts. They have very little "meaning" to the universe, and equally, the terms purposeless, meaningless and no god have as equal "meaning" to the universe. They are words we use to explain our existence. They are arbitrary. Whether you believe in God or not means very little in the long run because it is more likely that we are all incredibly incorrect in our theories than any one of us having the ability to perceive something beyond our objective reality, because we are limited to our limited senses and our flawed existence as limited beings. At what point did you believe evolution has reached its full capabilities? Science is well and good, but it doesn't explain why or how evolution exists and operates.

In truth, everybody is following their best guess and despite inaccuracies or scientific contradictions in religious doctrine there is no indication that life has purpose or lacks purpose. There is no evidence that life has meaning or lacks meaning. There is no evidence that these terms are even applicable to us outside of our existence as human beings.

The biggest lesson one can take from life is the incredibly subjective nature of existence itself. We can observe that people perceive life differently just as they perceive pain differently. And yet, subjectivity and objectivity are again, human concepts and terms. What life actually is and the actuality of life is a mystery. And will probably remain a mystery until humanity's dying breath and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Energy can not be created or destroyed and thus we can assume since the very beginning all matter and energy that makes up each individual was present from the start, if there even was a start or beginning. Meaning, at one point in time we were all condensed together as a single cosmic entity and one day we will return to the very same collective. The loved ones you have lost live on through flowers, trees, birds, other animals and so forth, as the cycle of life continues. The only real theory that is up for debate is whether or not our consciousness remains intact in some form after death, other than that; it seems heaven exists, our egos may not get to experience it. Life eternal, in what form?

I am by no means religious, nor do I believe in a god. I believe the word god is too abstract. The word god can mean almost anything. It can have a face, it can be a man, it can be an entity, the entirety of everything or simply be love. Therefore I make no arguments for or against god because it seems to me that the word god is simply a metaphor for "purpose" or "meaning". Human concepts that people fear dissipate with their deaths and yet they fail to realize that if there is no purpose or meaning, there is neither a lack of purpose or a lack of meaning.

Human perception is neat, but at no point assume you have anything figured out. And be humble with your beliefs, whatever you choose to believe.



I agree with this. This is why I wrote that I'd die before I have an answer for this question. Many people like to make it as simple as black and white when it never really is. Kudos on your post. Resonates well with my current stance on this.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13


You kind of contradict yourself. You admit there is nothing inherently flawed about humankind, but you fail to realize that if you're claiming our culture as being flawed you're admittedly identifying an objective reality or existence in which we should strive for or mimic. When in truth, there is nothing objective or inherent about us as human beings, our culture, what we decide to believe in or anything else for that matter. Culture and life exists within our own imaginations, and there is no basis to determine what is inherent or objective.

2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13


I don't think most people have genuine concerns with you having your personal beliefs, but rather the presumption that certain belief systems enables the believers to see these "cliffs" while assuming all others are ignorant to such things. I think that can come across as insulting, to be quite frank. And I also believe you completely believe you know the truth to make those kinds of judgements. Even your messiah's teachings preach to simply be a witness and not an enforcer. Nor are you meant to enforce god's commandments or god's will. There is a fine line, and many people are crossing it. This is what angers people, not that you have your beliefs.

2335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Places...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13

Conquistador0 wrote:

First, Brightskies4777 is speaking as this modern generation does: She is attempting to bridge what she sees as gaps with a Relativist approach. As long as everyone is sincere, what's the harm? Simplistic at best, such a philosophy dies at the first onslaught of real life, where presuppositions are required. After all, being sincere is exactly what every dead NPC or red-shirt character is before they get whacked.

I won't pretend to know truth of myself, because we are all limited by the spectacles we use. Rather, I will rely on the Bible for my source of truth, since God does not lie (yes, there are actual Jews and there really was a dude named Jesus who got crucified for claiming He was God).

I do not believe in the maybe-God, but in the Certain God. I do not have to convince anyone of God because they already know Him (Romans 1). Even your conscience bears witness that lying, stealing, and adultery are wrong...you don't need society to tell you being robbed is a crime...you know it is.
John 3:18-19 says they (well, everyone really) resist God because they loved the darkness rather than the light. You've heard a few people say they wouldn't honor Him even if they met Him. Exactly. There is none righteous, no not one, and the reason people seek religion is to atone for their regret...which is actually guilt from sin.

Nor should the reader think I am being proud when I say someone is a sinner, because if I see them about to walk off a cliff from wearing Blindfolds, should I not WARN them of the danger, and say wrong way?
If God has said in Ezekiel, "when I say to the unrighteous 'you shall die', you shall warn him...that he may turn and live.".... should I not also do the same?

We are talking about people's souls here, and that should be cause enough to be jealous for their righteousness, shouldn't it?
Hmm i wish you quoted the OP cause im kinda lost ha but that scripture in Romans 1:18-20 is a great one btw.

4061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13
I believe in the Gods, plural, Not singular..

Religion was the tool that was needed to unite a spread out people and band them together, gave them laws, morals and helped advance humanity socially and morally as a species... But i find the transition of Gods plural to God singular one of those fascinating moments of human history.. You see, To worship the gods is to worship Humanity (God for every human emotion/trait and for every aspect of life on earth that makes it possible, and teaches tolerance for other religions) and then to go to worshiping God which is to worship death (Your life defines your life after death. And since there is only one god, your god must be wrong mentality).

. I agree with what ever your religion is (What ever makes you happy.). But must admit, i dislike atheist that preach more then any religion in human history. And just yell 'science, Science, science" cause last i checked there is no scientifical evidence to prove or disprove god/gods. And with some religions being based solely on self betterment or the learning of humanity and trying to better it. How can they be against religion when some of them are nothing more then tools to better ones self? Their idiocy is mind boggling.
Kaixy 
13036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/29/13

cpblair83
Culture and life exists within our own imaginations, and there is no basis to determine what is inherent or objective.



Dude are you for real!? Culture and life exists outside of most people's imaginations because regardless of weather we're all brains in a jar living in the matrix, what I experience as culture and life pretty much resembles what other people around me are experiencing and I've come to understand this as reality. So to say we're all making this stuff up in our own minds is very hard to swallow. Sure maybe humans do or don't have a basis to determine what is inherent or objective initially but me living my life, I want to live life and help others around me suffer less, so I take it upon myself to make that a objective so the next generation can inherent those ideas.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13


"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Kaixy 
13036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 7/29/13

cpblair83 wrote:



"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein



lol okay bro
5058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/29/13


My friend Cpblair83, you have done exactly what Relativist s often do, in side stepping my carefully written essay to throw dirt where there is no insult. Instead of at least mulling over my comment from an intellectual point of view, you claim with certainty that I cannot be certain of anything.
Do you see the oxymoron here? Instead of offering at something tangible to this discussion, you seem content to throw your pride at me.
I could not be insulting you if I tell you your going off a cliff, even if I was wrong, because my concern was for your safety. Had I not cared, I wouls have let you go. Was I not careful to declare my empathy towards you? Even if you would not understand why you would, I would gladly give my life to protect you from harm, because being made in the image of God is worth.
I go back to the conscience because as it is written (Romans 10:17), "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of God." It is not really up to us to decide whether God is. We already know. You already know, my friend. Your ability to love unlike an animal is because God first loved us. (no lion will raise a reindeer to be like himself without devouring him, will he?) You know it is wrong to lust, and yet you (we actually :P) do so against your conscience.
You know, they don't call it guilty pleasures for nothing. and James 4 tells us that all quarrels, sin, come from not having what we want. So we lust, devour, destroy, and feel offended at others for violating our supposed rights.
This you know, my friend, that we all will be judged for our sins. I am merely crying out for man to repent and be saved by a gracious God, who will cleanse those that ask Him for forgiveness. 1 John 1 comes to mind.
4061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13

cpblair83
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein



You are using that quote wrong (wrong context).. If you're going to quote one of the greatest thinkers in recent history, at least use it properly..
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13
Kaixy wrote:


cpblair83 wrote:



"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein



*long drawn out sigh*

I do not think we are simply a brain living in a jar within a matrix. However, if you were to bother to research psychology, neuroscience, history, sociology, and many other fascinating topics you would realize how subjective the human experience actually is.

Even your eyes can't comprehend the entirety of what actually is. You can not even comprehend the full spectrum of color, nor is the color or the reality you're perceiving through your eyes even an accurate representation. Your eyes are a perfect example of your limited perception of reality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGguwYPC32I

We are not even able to perceive the 4th dimension and you believe that everything you're experiencing is objective reality? This is purely on a physical sense. I'm not even referring to how your brain actually works and operates, how the neurons and synapses form, and play a major role on how you perceive and operate within the world.

There are far more intelligent figures throughout history that have come to the simple conclusion in that the only thing they know for sure is that they know nothing at all.

Even your emotions are subjective. People do not react the same to every situation because we are a long history of events that make an equation of who we are and how we perceive the world. That is why it is hard to change people's minds. There is actual will, but if you are naive enough to believe in free will, the conversation ends here.

One simple chemical imbalance can completely shift the manner in which a person perceives their surroundings. This is psychology. I'm not spouting a matrix theory.



5058 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/29/13
Also, your comment about what the Bible and Jesus says cannot be true. Christ told many people they were sinners, and even angered the Jews by calling them whitewashed tombs!
Besides, how ELSE can you warn someone who is about to fall to their doom? Offering a back rub? Jesus even said that unles you hate (figuratively in the context) father or mother, you cannot be my disciple. Was that just cutesty talk about maybe kinda getting away from that bad stuff, and come to me so I can make your life happy?

My friend, I would strongly suggest you read the Bible for itself before you make any judgement. Because your conscience is bearing witness the lack of foundation you have....and that distresses me sincerely.
2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13


I'm not sidestepping your "carefully written essay". I'm pointing out that you're conclusions are dependent on you being correct and your imposition is all for naught if you're incorrect in your faith. In fact, you would simply have lived a life where you imposed your beliefs upon people. Beliefs that may or may not be true. You're assuming there is a cliff. You're assuming there is doom. You're assuming there is a hell. You're making the assumptions and you're imposing your assumptions.

I've read the bible and studied the bible, both in it's original language and form. I don't need to read it any further.

2843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Colorado Springs,...
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13



I understand the context of the quote just fine, but thanks for your concern.
4061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 7/29/13 , edited 7/29/13

cpblair83 wrote:




I understand the context of the quote just fine, but thanks for your concern.


That quote is in regard to paradoxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paradoxes
First  Prev  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.