First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
To be a teacher or not
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12
Basically this thread is about a teacher because well, more or less ten months from now I will become one.
But I want to ask all of you to not base your answers just because the thread starter is a would-be teacher.
Actually, i chose this profession because my mom is a teacher and almost everyone I know is a teacher, my grandma, my neighbor, my mom's friends
I like teaching though I still don't know if its my passion.
Besides, I've only been practicing teaching for what two months?

I have met a lot of people telling me even going as far as questioning my decision as to why I chose this profession
because apparently, as they said and i quote, "You won't get rich being a teacher"
Even my classmates when i asked most of them, they tell me truthfully that this course isn't their first choice.
They have just ended in here because it is a course which will easily land you a job.
Okay enough I'm deviating from the topic at hand.

In your opinion, is being a teacher a good career path? Is it worth the trouble to teach bratty kids or teens if your a high school mentor?

no worries, whatever you say. I will still be graduating
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 8/7/12
Like any job there are pros and cons to it, and it really depends on what your career priorities are.

True, you won't be making a lot of money, you will be dealing with children who will test your patience, and there isn't much room in terms of advancement unless you're planning on moving into administration.

But at the same time, you will be making a difference on a lot of lives. Helping build the foundation for the future engineers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, scientists, etc. who will end up making more money than you do, but wouldn't have gotten to where they are without you paving a part of the way.
70583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 8/7/12
I think it is a very noble career path but I have known 2 people who decided against doing that after interning at a school for a while.

I'm not sure what country you will be teaching in but one person I know (who had always wanted to be a teacher) interned at a high school and was so disillusioned at how the school basically forced you to "teach to the test" she decided to become a counselor instead. Not only that, but the political opinions of the parents was also a huge draw-back. Teaching anything that was anywhere near "liberal" would get the wrath of the parents limiting what could and what couldn't be taught. :(

Kudos to you though. All in all I would say teachers deserve mad respect.

The whole "getting paid good money" isn't really a problem for those with a passion to teach. I'd say it's more of a calling than a "make money" profession if that makes sense.
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

funnyginsan wrote:

I think it is a very noble career path but I have known 2 people who decided against doing that after interning at a school for a while.

I'm not sure what country you will be teaching in but one person I know (who had always wanted to be a teacher) interned at a high school and was so disillusioned at how the school basically forced you to "teach to the test" she decided to become a counselor instead. Not only that, but the political opinions of the parents was also a huge draw-back. Teaching anything that was anywhere near "liberal" would get the wrath of the parents limiting what could and what couldn't be taught. :(

Kudos to you though. All in all I would say teachers deserve mad respect.

The whole "getting paid good money" isn't really a problem for those with a passion to teach. I'd say it's more of a calling than a "make money" profession if that makes sense.



that definitely makes sense,
I'll hope for the better, I guess I have less then eight months to figure out my own answer
Posted 8/7/12
Head Teachers earn £50,000 a year (convert it to your money its quite a lot) but normal teachers not so much but its still an exciting career to go for. You take your job home with you though with marking papers and what not -__- I worked in a school for about 3 months and it was very stressful but at the same time eventful and fun!

Also kids can be really testing, when I teach kids Martial Arts you can see where there is a lack of discipline. You have to tell them straight and be strict because they will walk all over you. A boy of 9 answered me back when I asked him to do 30 clapping press-ups so I said "Fine, walk 30 steps to the door instead and don't come back." They know how strict I am but the ones who behave in my class get to see my fun side too and we have a real good laugh
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

Winterfells wrote:

Like any job there are pros and cons to it, and it really depends on what your career priorities are.

True, you won't be making a lot of money, you will be dealing with children who will test your patience, and there isn't much room in terms of advancement unless you're planning on moving into administration.

But at the same time, you will be making a difference on a lot of lives. Helping build the foundation for the future engineers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, scientists, etc. who will end up making more money than you do, but wouldn't have gotten to where they are without you paving a part of the way.


you sound like my teacher and I totally mean that in a good way...
I have already seen the kids who are really testing the patience of my classmates and I
I get a little scared since the first two weeks half of the class had already cried in front of our professor,
I don't want to see myself in that position
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

Rina-San wrote:

Head Teachers earn £50,000 a year (convert it to your money its quite a lot) but normal teachers not so much but its still an exciting career to go for. You take your job home with you though with marking papers and what not -__- I worked in a school for about 3 months and it was very stressful but at the same time eventful and fun!

Also kids can be really testing, when I teach kids Martial Arts you can see where there is a lack of discipline. You have to tell them straight and be strict because they will walk all over you. A boy of 9 answered me back when I asked him to do 30 clapping press-ups so I said "Fine, walk 30 steps to the door instead and don't come back." They know how strict I am but the ones who behave in my class get to see my fun side too and we have a real good laugh


Wow, you teach martial arts that's really cool, (I so wanted to learn that before)
I know how to be strict but then afterwards i get a note from my supervising teacher to inject humor when I teach,
that's the problem with me
11018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 8/7/12
For some reason, whenever I hear the word "teacher", I think of Onizuka Eikichi. Granted, he might not be the ideal, follow the book-type of teacher, but he did taught his student to set a straight path in life. I want to be a teacher as well, but it will take quite awhile before I graduate.
Posted 8/7/12

xhuizini wrote:


Rina-San wrote:

Head Teachers earn £50,000 a year (convert it to your money its quite a lot) but normal teachers not so much but its still an exciting career to go for. You take your job home with you though with marking papers and what not -__- I worked in a school for about 3 months and it was very stressful but at the same time eventful and fun!

Also kids can be really testing, when I teach kids Martial Arts you can see where there is a lack of discipline. You have to tell them straight and be strict because they will walk all over you. A boy of 9 answered me back when I asked him to do 30 clapping press-ups so I said "Fine, walk 30 steps to the door instead and don't come back." They know how strict I am but the ones who behave in my class get to see my fun side too and we have a real good laugh


Wow, you teach martial arts that's really cool, (I so wanted to learn that before)
I know how to be strict but then afterwards i get a note from my supervising teacher to inject humor when I teach,
that's the problem with me


Lol they tell you how to inject humor? That seems like he is gonna make you try too hard. Just be yourself and think of a favourite teacher you had in school and how they made you feel and learn. That's what you should inject into your teaching you can't force humor lol!
8802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

xhuizini wrote:

you sound like my teacher and I totally mean that in a good way...
I have already seen the kids who are really testing the patience of my classmates and I
I get a little scared since the first two weeks half of the class had already cried in front of our professor,
I don't want to see myself in that position


Haha, thanks. I did consider a teaching career at one point, but decided to do business instead. I really enjoy academics and especially the science disciplines, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience and willpower to teach highschoolers for 40+ years.

Kids will be kids, they don't know any better so it's up to you to teach them. It's not just intellectual material either, you have to teach them to be good people and how to survive in the real world. You have to be strong for their sake, even if on the inside you don't worried or scared.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Making a topic like this and asking this question shows that you are concerned, which means that you care. If you care about something, and worry about its well-being, that's already half the battle.
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

Rina-San wrote:


xhuizini wrote:


Rina-San wrote:

Head Teachers earn £50,000 a year (convert it to your money its quite a lot) but normal teachers not so much but its still an exciting career to go for. You take your job home with you though with marking papers and what not -__- I worked in a school for about 3 months and it was very stressful but at the same time eventful and fun!

Also kids can be really testing, when I teach kids Martial Arts you can see where there is a lack of discipline. You have to tell them straight and be strict because they will walk all over you. A boy of 9 answered me back when I asked him to do 30 clapping press-ups so I said "Fine, walk 30 steps to the door instead and don't come back." They know how strict I am but the ones who behave in my class get to see my fun side too and we have a real good laugh


Wow, you teach martial arts that's really cool, (I so wanted to learn that before)
I know how to be strict but then afterwards i get a note from my supervising teacher to inject humor when I teach,
that's the problem with me


Lol they tell you how to inject humor? That seems like he is gonna make you try too hard. Just be yourself and think of a favourite teacher you had in school and how they made you feel and learn. That's what you should inject into your teaching you can't force humor lol!


yup, believe me everyday I had notes with a plus sign and minus sign meaning positive and negative
first week, under negative (classroom management and discipline)
second week, under negative (humor during class)

well anyway there is positive (confidence)
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

Winterfells wrote:


xhuizini wrote:

you sound like my teacher and I totally mean that in a good way...
I have already seen the kids who are really testing the patience of my classmates and I
I get a little scared since the first two weeks half of the class had already cried in front of our professor,
I don't want to see myself in that position


Haha, thanks. I did consider a teaching career at one point, but decided to do business instead. I really enjoy academics and especially the science disciplines, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience and willpower to teach highschoolers for 40+ years.

Kids will be kids, they don't know any better so it's up to you to teach them. It's not just intellectual material either, you have to teach them to be good people and how to survive in the real world. You have to be strong for their sake, even if on the inside you don't worried or scared.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Making a topic like this and asking this question shows that you are concerned, which means that you care. If you care about something, and worry about its well-being, that's already half the battle.


thanks, actually I'm trying my best to be what our dean said, "Do not teach how you're worst teachers taught you"
and wow, science that's like one of my weakness alongside math but I do not hate it. Fact is, from tomorrow up till september I'll be handling science
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12

terry92126 wrote:

For some reason, whenever I hear the word "teacher", I think of Onizuka Eikichi. Granted, he might not be the ideal, follow the book-type of teacher, but he did taught his student to set a straight path in life. I want to be a teacher as well, but it will take quite awhile before I graduate.


yeah, he's a great teacher but most of what he does is not allowed in school
anyway, what year level are you?
70583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Irish/German - Am...
Offline
Posted 8/7/12


If it makes any difference I also think it matters which school you will be teaching in. My high school physics teacher made the class fun AND informative with his crazy experiments. I never pictured myself being that involved in physics till I took his class and now I still have an interest in it even though I'm not making a living out of it.

Anyways, maybe if it's a better high school nationally or a private school they will give more freedom to creative teaching methods? I really don't know.

No matter where you go I think you'll always have to deal with the with the kids and how to keep order in a room with 30+ (or 20+) teenagers seems like a minor miracle. :lol:

Best of luck and I hope things work out.
2071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Bulacan
Offline
Posted 8/7/12


Best of luck and I hope things work out.
Thanks I'm teaching in a private school who puts minor changes in the curriculum every five months, I really will need the best of all the lucks since I will be teaching not 20 not 30 but 43-- 12 year old kids, and my final grade depends on them...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.