Remove this ad
First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
Post Reply Design your own Sword Art Online avatar ~ ! Win AMAZING PRIZES.
25483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 8/26/12

Hiriko89 wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


ViperEagle wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:

This would be great except for the scan thing. Is it just me or am I the only one on here that does not have a scanner? I don't have a use for a scanner and excluding me from this contest because I don't have one is upsetting. For those who are about to say, "well this is a use for it" or something along those lines. I am not going to go out and buy a expensive piece of equipment to enter contests.


Do you have access to a camera? That would probably work just fine or you could draw it in a program like some of the others have done. I guess I don't understand what more could be done to "include" you?


yeah like I could win by drawing something in windows paint. No I don't have a digital camera I have a camera phone that does not hook up in any way to a computer or internet. The theme here is sword art online the contest is to promote the anime so more people will buy crunchyroll subscriptions. They could make it something like a fanfic contest where you have the option to make a short side story or post a picture like they are doing now. something that doesn't limit the contestants based on what they do or do not own. They are not putting any thought into the contest because all they care about is getting more people to watch it. Most likely the person who wins the subscription is going to be a non subscriber because they want to get the winner hooked on not watching the episodes with ads. I never am able to enter these contest because they either make it so you have to have knowledge of a anime I don't watch and I can't gain by just watching one episode or you have to have some type of equipment like this scanner thing or be a member of a third party site like facebook. Before anyone says anything about that I used to have a facebook but I deleted it for personal reasons and it's not that rumor about the security issue either of course I wouldn't doubt it. I am not explaining the personal reasons because it is too complicated to explain without experiencing it and no it isn't a feature it evolves people hence personal.No I couldn't adjust the settings to fix the issue without defeating the point of using a social networking site.


You sorta make it sound like everyone is out to get you.

Though, yes, I agree these contest may have other agendas, its mostly just for fun. Art contests are a really common thing and I can see why they would prefer art contests over say fanfic contests. Fanfic contests even limited to say 1 page of text would take forever to read every submission, unless CR has a contest department that spends all day sitting around debating about the creativity and structure of selected fanfics.
And lets be honest not everyone is skilled at everything(or have equal resources) so no matter what contest they throw out some people are going to be left out. And I would say a majority of submission for this contest were from people who just wanted to have some fun, they wanted to create a character or maybe show the public a character they had in mind.
Though maybe a few people in this contest are pouring blood and sweat to win, hey they have a chance even against the highly skilled artists. Its a design contest, you just have to design something interesting, which is totally possible on MS Paint.

I don't know what version of ms paint you use but mine worthless it terms of art I only use it for taking screenshots. Because it is not worth using for anything else. Also I said they should extend the contest into fanfic story telling and I meant short story not some never ending book type story. I meant it as a idea to extend the contest to people who can't upload their images. I don't mean to sound like everyone is out to get me and I don't think that either. That is what this is a advertising ploy. Just like how car dealers offer a car in drawings in outlet malls or a store offers a raffle over Facebook or twitter. It's not to give back it's to sell product. I don't mean to say it's not fun or not worth entering only that I never get a chance to enter because they make it so difficult by making you need facebook or to have watched a certain series or have someone kind of device such as a computer scanner. All I am saying is they need to make it more available to a wider audience. Don't make me out to be some oh poor me fellow because I'm not like that I just don't like being left out of this stuff because I'm not mainstream.
32069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Madison, Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 8/26/12 , edited 8/27/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:


Hiriko89 wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


ViperEagle wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:

This would be great except for the scan thing. Is it just me or am I the only one on here that does not have a scanner? I don't have a use for a scanner and excluding me from this contest because I don't have one is upsetting. For those who are about to say, "well this is a use for it" or something along those lines. I am not going to go out and buy a expensive piece of equipment to enter contests.


Do you have access to a camera? That would probably work just fine or you could draw it in a program like some of the others have done. I guess I don't understand what more could be done to "include" you?


yeah like I could win by drawing something in windows paint. No I don't have a digital camera I have a camera phone that does not hook up in any way to a computer or internet. The theme here is sword art online the contest is to promote the anime so more people will buy crunchyroll subscriptions. They could make it something like a fanfic contest where you have the option to make a short side story or post a picture like they are doing now. something that doesn't limit the contestants based on what they do or do not own. They are not putting any thought into the contest because all they care about is getting more people to watch it. Most likely the person who wins the subscription is going to be a non subscriber because they want to get the winner hooked on not watching the episodes with ads. I never am able to enter these contest because they either make it so you have to have knowledge of a anime I don't watch and I can't gain by just watching one episode or you have to have some type of equipment like this scanner thing or be a member of a third party site like facebook. Before anyone says anything about that I used to have a facebook but I deleted it for personal reasons and it's not that rumor about the security issue either of course I wouldn't doubt it. I am not explaining the personal reasons because it is too complicated to explain without experiencing it and no it isn't a feature it evolves people hence personal.No I couldn't adjust the settings to fix the issue without defeating the point of using a social networking site.


You sorta make it sound like everyone is out to get you.

Though, yes, I agree these contest may have other agendas, its mostly just for fun. Art contests are a really common thing and I can see why they would prefer art contests over say fanfic contests. Fanfic contests even limited to say 1 page of text would take forever to read every submission, unless CR has a contest department that spends all day sitting around debating about the creativity and structure of selected fanfics.
And lets be honest not everyone is skilled at everything(or have equal resources) so no matter what contest they throw out some people are going to be left out. And I would say a majority of submission for this contest were from people who just wanted to have some fun, they wanted to create a character or maybe show the public a character they had in mind.
Though maybe a few people in this contest are pouring blood and sweat to win, hey they have a chance even against the highly skilled artists. Its a design contest, you just have to design something interesting, which is totally possible on MS Paint.

I don't know what version of ms paint you use but mine worthless it terms of art I only use it for taking screenshots. Because it is not worth using for anything else. Also I said they should extend the contest into fanfic story telling and I meant short story not some never ending book type story. I meant it as a idea to extend the contest to people who can't upload their images. I don't mean to sound like everyone is out to get me and I don't think that either. That is what this is a advertising ploy. Just like how car dealers offer a car in drawings in outlet malls or a store offers a raffle over Facebook or twitter. It's not to give back it's to sell product. I don't mean to say it's not fun or not worth entering only that I never get a chance to enter because they make it so difficult by making you need facebook or to have watched a certain series or have someone kind of device such as a computer scanner. All I am saying is they need to make it more available to a wider audience. Don't make me out to be some oh poor me fellow because I'm not like that I just don't like being left out of this stuff because I'm not mainstream.


I guess I still don't understand. Like people have said, there is free or trial software that is actually good that you can use. No one is telling you how you have to do it. It is up to you. It is not required to be scanned, they are not forcing you to use any particular method, or have certain software/hardware. I'm not sure how they could possibly open this contest up more. I'm not good at drawing so I don't enter but I enjoy seeing all the awesome stuff come out of our super talented community so I'm not worried about it.

Also your fanfic idea has the exact same issues. What if people just use their phones to browse and watch anime?

There is no way to make everyone happy and I don't feel like this contest in particular is unduly burdensome in terms of what is required. Like others have said. There is a way for you to enter. You may not feel it is optimal but that is your issue, not everyone else's.

Also I just want to say I'm not trying to be mean or argumentative or anything I just sincerely don't understand the point you are trying to make or rather it just seems facetious.
25483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 8/26/12

Hakuotter wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


ViperEagle wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:

This would be great except for the scan thing. Is it just me or am I the only one on here that does not have a scanner? I don't have a use for a scanner and excluding me from this contest because I don't have one is upsetting. For those who are about to say, "well this is a use for it" or something along those lines. I am not going to go out and buy a expensive piece of equipment to enter contests.


Do you have access to a camera? That would probably work just fine or you could draw it in a program like some of the others have done. I guess I don't understand what more could be done to "include" you?


yeah like I could win by drawing something in windows paint. No I don't have a digital camera I have a camera phone that does not hook up in any way to a computer or internet. The theme here is sword art online the contest is to promote the anime so more people will buy crunchyroll subscriptions. They could make it something like a fanfic contest where you have the option to make a short side story or post a picture like they are doing now. something that doesn't limit the contestants based on what they do or do not own. They are not putting any thought into the contest because all they care about is getting more people to watch it. Most likely the person who wins the subscription is going to be a non subscriber because they want to get the winner hooked on not watching the episodes with ads. I never am able to enter these contest because they either make it so you have to have knowledge of a anime I don't watch and I can't gain by just watching one episode or you have to have some type of equipment like this scanner thing or be a member of a third party site like facebook. Before anyone says anything about that I used to have a facebook but I deleted it for personal reasons and it's not that rumor about the security issue either of course I wouldn't doubt it. I am not explaining the personal reasons because it is too complicated to explain without experiencing it and no it isn't a feature it evolves people hence personal.No I couldn't adjust the settings to fix the issue without defeating the point of using a social networking site.


o-o Well, if you have so many complaints, instead of griping about it, just don't enter. Some people are here to win, others are here for fun. We all know it's a promotional thing, and that's not bad. A few people were introduced to a great anime and light novel series through this. It looks like you want the subscription too. Why else would you have clicked on a thread for an series you're not a fan of? And they do make contests with other guidelines, like the haiku one. And a fanfic contest wouldn't be practical more because of the length and number of entries, not ownership.
And yes you could win with ms paint. It's just a tool, like any other. The skill level of the user determines what the picture looks like. Absolutely nothing is prohibiting you from entering. Every computer comes with some sort of drawing/image program. There are several online for free as well, like GIMP. SAI, a widely used illustrating program, likely the same one the girl who drew the image that's been filling the last two pages used, is also online, with a free month long trial if I remember correctly.
And one last question - if you had a scanner, would you even enter?

I never said I'm not a fan of this anime I am a huge fan of sword art online I was talking about past contest where the entries didn't rely on facebook or scanners and I never said it was a bad thing that this is a advertising ploy only that is is a advertising ploy and that they don't care about how the contest is brought about as long as they sell product. It doesn't cost them anything to give away a few computer generated product codes to someone who doesn't already have a account and the top prize is most likely donated which I was hoping for but can't get either do to the scanner issue. As far as the free trail things go I am better with a pen then trying to draw with a mouse. I don't know anyone who can draw a straight line with a mouse. I could cut and paste images together and smooth the edges and change the color to form a whole new outfit but the face would still be a already used character and the outfit would be limited. I want to enter that is the whole problem that is why I am voicing my complaint. I can't write to customer service because there is no option for this stuff. When they judge the contest they will see this and hopefully they will not make contests in the future that are limited to people with certain equipment or belong to 3rd party sites. It is wrong to leave people out who don't belong to 3rd party groups or have certain stuff. Can you not see that. you are defending them either because you hope to gain brownie points in the contest or because you fail to see why I am am upset.
1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 8/26/12 , edited 8/26/12


Hakuottero-o Well, if you have so many complaints, instead of griping about it, just don't enter. Some people are here to win, others are here for fun. We all know it's a promotional thing, and that's not bad. A few people were introduced to a great anime and light novel series through this. It looks like you want the subscription too. Why else would you have clicked on a thread for an series you're not a fan of? And they do make contests with other guidelines, like the haiku one. And a fanfic contest wouldn't be practical more because of the length and number of entries, not ownership.
And yes you could win with ms paint. It's just a tool, like any other. The skill level of the user determines what the picture looks like. Absolutely nothing is prohibiting you from entering. Every computer comes with some sort of drawing/image program. There are several online for free as well, like GIMP. SAI, a widely used illustrating program, likely the same one the girl who drew the image that's been filling the last two pages used, is also online, with a free month long trial if I remember correctly.
And one last question - if you had a scanner, would you even enter?


MaxmattsmithI never said I'm not a fan of this anime I am a huge fan of sword art online I was talking about past contest where the entries didn't rely on facebook or scanners and I never said it was a bad thing that this is a advertising ploy only that is is a advertising ploy and that they don't care about how the contest is brought about as long as they sell product. It doesn't cost them anything to give away a few computer generated product codes to someone who doesn't already have a account and the top prize is most likely donated which I was hoping for but can't get either do to the scanner issue. As far as the free trail things go I am better with a pen then trying to draw with a mouse. I don't know anyone who can draw a straight line with a mouse. I could cut and paste images together and smooth the edges and change the color to form a whole new outfit but the face would still be a already used character and the outfit would be limited. I want to enter that is the whole problem that is why I am voicing my complaint. I can't write to customer service because there is no option for this stuff. When they judge the contest they will see this and hopefully they will not make contests in the future that are limited to people with certain equipment or belong to 3rd party sites. It is wrong to leave people out who don't belong to 3rd party groups or have certain stuff. Can you not see that. you are defending them either because you hope to gain brownie points in the contest or because you fail to see why I am am upset.


P: The latter. Also, you could use a few more commas, I had a bit of trouble reading this.
I'm not sure that any mods will read your message. It would probably be more productive to mail an admin, or use the contact us option. I'm not entirely sure why you'd bring up a past competition either.
And yes, Crunchyroll's contests are sort of sloppy sometimes and they are trying to market something. But that's sort of the point. Why else would they host one? For fun, no prizes? No one would enter. It's not even aggressive, in your face marketing.
And if you don't have a scanner or camera, surely you have a friend you could borrow from? If not, libraries occasionally have them too. There are resources out there. Most drawing programs also have some sort of line tool as well, so drawing straight lines isn't a problem. Half of my lineart isn't hand drawn.
I think asking the thread for tips on how to draw digitally would have been far more productive than writing a rant.
25483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 8/27/12

ViperEagle wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


Hiriko89 wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:


ViperEagle wrote:


Maxmattsmith wrote:

This would be great except for the scan thing. Is it just me or am I the only one on here that does not have a scanner? I don't have a use for a scanner and excluding me from this contest because I don't have one is upsetting. For those who are about to say, "well this is a use for it" or something along those lines. I am not going to go out and buy a expensive piece of equipment to enter contests.


Do you have access to a camera? That would probably work just fine or you could draw it in a program like some of the others have done. I guess I don't understand what more could be done to "include" you?


yeah like I could win by drawing something in windows paint. No I don't have a digital camera I have a camera phone that does not hook up in any way to a computer or internet. The theme here is sword art online the contest is to promote the anime so more people will buy crunchyroll subscriptions. They could make it something like a fanfic contest where you have the option to make a short side story or post a picture like they are doing now. something that doesn't limit the contestants based on what they do or do not own. They are not putting any thought into the contest because all they care about is getting more people to watch it. Most likely the person who wins the subscription is going to be a non subscriber because they want to get the winner hooked on not watching the episodes with ads. I never am able to enter these contest because they either make it so you have to have knowledge of a anime I don't watch and I can't gain by just watching one episode or you have to have some type of equipment like this scanner thing or be a member of a third party site like facebook. Before anyone says anything about that I used to have a facebook but I deleted it for personal reasons and it's not that rumor about the security issue either of course I wouldn't doubt it. I am not explaining the personal reasons because it is too complicated to explain without experiencing it and no it isn't a feature it evolves people hence personal.No I couldn't adjust the settings to fix the issue without defeating the point of using a social networking site.


You sorta make it sound like everyone is out to get you.

Though, yes, I agree these contest may have other agendas, its mostly just for fun. Art contests are a really common thing and I can see why they would prefer art contests over say fanfic contests. Fanfic contests even limited to say 1 page of text would take forever to read every submission, unless CR has a contest department that spends all day sitting around debating about the creativity and structure of selected fanfics.
And lets be honest not everyone is skilled at everything(or have equal resources) so no matter what contest they throw out some people are going to be left out. And I would say a majority of submission for this contest were from people who just wanted to have some fun, they wanted to create a character or maybe show the public a character they had in mind.
Though maybe a few people in this contest are pouring blood and sweat to win, hey they have a chance even against the highly skilled artists. Its a design contest, you just have to design something interesting, which is totally possible on MS Paint.

I don't know what version of ms paint you use but mine worthless it terms of art I only use it for taking screenshots. Because it is not worth using for anything else. Also I said they should extend the contest into fanfic story telling and I meant short story not some never ending book type story. I meant it as a idea to extend the contest to people who can't upload their images. I don't mean to sound like everyone is out to get me and I don't think that either. That is what this is a advertising ploy. Just like how car dealers offer a car in drawings in outlet malls or a store offers a raffle over Facebook or twitter. It's not to give back it's to sell product. I don't mean to say it's not fun or not worth entering only that I never get a chance to enter because they make it so difficult by making you need facebook or to have watched a certain series or have someone kind of device such as a computer scanner. All I am saying is they need to make it more available to a wider audience. Don't make me out to be some oh poor me fellow because I'm not like that I just don't like being left out of this stuff because I'm not mainstream.


I guess I still don't understand. Like people have said, there is free or trial software that is actually good that you can use. No one is telling you how you have to do it. It is up to you. It is not required to be scanned, they are not forcing you to use any particular method of have certain software/hardware. I'm not sure how they could possibly open this contest up more. I'm not good at drawing so I don't enter but I enjoy seeing all the awesome stuff come out of our super talented community so I'm not worried about it.

Also your fanfic idea has the exact same issues. What if people just use their phones to browse and watch anime?

There is no way to make everyone happy and I don't feel like this contest in particular is unduly burdensome in terms of what is required. Like others have said. There is a way for you to enter. You may not feel it is optimal but that is your issue, not everyone else's.

Also I just want to say I'm not trying to be mean or argumentative or anything I just sincerely don't understand the point you are trying to make or rather it just seems facetious.

I have no idea what software that is free that you can make a drawing with a mouse without it looking like a stick figure. Also they said in the very beginning that it has to look like you and that they want you to scan it. It also has to be original. The advantage goes to the people with money to buy a scanner or already have a scanner and this contest is wrong for giving that advantage. I want to enter I love sword art online. But I can't enter I am upset because of the limitations forced on the entries. And you are making it worse by being oblivious to this and trying to defend this unfair contest that favors individuals with certain equipment. Contest are meant to be fun. But lets say you were 6 and in a tug of war contest 1v1 and your opponent was a 28 year old body builder you wouldn't have fun because you wouldn't stand a chance and you would know it and it would feel like you were bullied. Saying ,"well there is free trail software" is the same thing free trail software is limited and impossible to make a good drawing with. I am a great artist when a pen or pencil I can't do squat with a mouse. If I could send it in I would but they don't give you that option.
25483 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / New Hampshire
Offline
Posted 8/27/12

Hakuotter wrote:



Hakuottero-o Well, if you have so many complaints, instead of griping about it, just don't enter. Some people are here to win, others are here for fun. We all know it's a promotional thing, and that's not bad. A few people were introduced to a great anime and light novel series through this. It looks like you want the subscription too. Why else would you have clicked on a thread for an series you're not a fan of? And they do make contests with other guidelines, like the haiku one. And a fanfic contest wouldn't be practical more because of the length and number of entries, not ownership.
And yes you could win with ms paint. It's just a tool, like any other. The skill level of the user determines what the picture looks like. Absolutely nothing is prohibiting you from entering. Every computer comes with some sort of drawing/image program. There are several online for free as well, like GIMP. SAI, a widely used illustrating program, likely the same one the girl who drew the image that's been filling the last two pages used, is also online, with a free month long trial if I remember correctly.
And one last question - if you had a scanner, would you even enter?


MaxmattsmithI never said I'm not a fan of this anime I am a huge fan of sword art online I was talking about past contest where the entries didn't rely on facebook or scanners and I never said it was a bad thing that this is a advertising ploy only that is is a advertising ploy and that they don't care about how the contest is brought about as long as they sell product. It doesn't cost them anything to give away a few computer generated product codes to someone who doesn't already have a account and the top prize is most likely donated which I was hoping for but can't get either do to the scanner issue. As far as the free trail things go I am better with a pen then trying to draw with a mouse. I don't know anyone who can draw a straight line with a mouse. I could cut and paste images together and smooth the edges and change the color to form a whole new outfit but the face would still be a already used character and the outfit would be limited. I want to enter that is the whole problem that is why I am voicing my complaint. I can't write to customer service because there is no option for this stuff. When they judge the contest they will see this and hopefully they will not make contests in the future that are limited to people with certain equipment or belong to 3rd party sites. It is wrong to leave people out who don't belong to 3rd party groups or have certain stuff. Can you not see that. you are defending them either because you hope to gain brownie points in the contest or because you fail to see why I am am upset.


P: The latter. Also, you could use a few more commas, I had a bit of trouble reading this.
I'm not sure that any mods will read your message. It would probably be more productive to mail an admin, or use the contact us option. I'm not entirely sure why you'd bring up a past competition either.
And yes, Crunchyroll's contests are sort of sloppy sometimes and they are trying to market something. But that's sort of the point. Why else would they host one? For fun, no prizes? No one would enter. It's not even aggressive, in your face marketing.
And if you don't have a scanner or camera, surely you have a friend you could borrow from? If not, libraries occasionally have them too. There are resources out there. Most drawing programs also have some sort of line tool as well, so drawing straight lines isn't a problem. Half of my lineart isn't hand drawn.
I think asking the thread for tips on how to draw digitally would have been far more productive than writing a rant.


Yes my mom has one but I won't be able to see her for a few weeks the contest would be over by then. If I still lived in Florida the libraries would have them but I live in NH now and this hick state's libraries don't have squat. Hell they are hardly ever even open.
1168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19
Offline
Posted 8/27/12 , edited 8/27/12

I have no idea what software that is free that you can make a drawing with a mouse without it looking like a stick figure. Also they said in the very beginning that it has to look like you and that they want you to scan it. It also has to be original. The advantage goes to the people with money to buy a scanner or already have a scanner and this contest is wrong for giving that advantage. I want to enter I love sword art online. But I can't enter I am upset because of the limitations forced on the entries. And you are making it worse by being oblivious to this and trying to defend this unfair contest that favors individuals with certain equipment. Contest are meant to be fun. But lets say you were 6 and in a tug of war contest 1v1 and your opponent was a 28 year old body builder you wouldn't have fun because you wouldn't stand a chance and you would know it and it would feel like you were bullied. Saying ,"well there is free trail software" is the same thing free trail software is limited and impossible to make a good drawing with. I am a great artist when a pen or pencil I can't do squat with a mouse. If I could send it in I would but they don't give you that option.



Okay, this part is technically not my argument, but before I go to sleep I feel the need to point out that they specifically said it did not need to look like you. I've seen at least two boys so far draw female characters. Also it does not need to be scanned. Scanning was listed as an option, a suggestion.
Also, art free trail software is rarely limited in function, only in duration. As I have said before, SAI is free, and has full functionality for a month, has a line drawing tool that's very flexible and easy to use. Even better, when the month runs out, all they do is stop you from saving. You can still open it, create new files, all the pens and what not are completely functional. To save, all you need to do is take a screen shot of your work and if necessary, piece it together in paint or something afterwards.
That is exactly what I did for half a year until I bought the program.
Also you can draw with a mouse. I did it when I was twelve, four years before I got a tablet. It is, in fact possible to draw with a mouse.

EDIT:
D: Proof right here! It's crap because I was like, 14 and didn't know how to use SAI yet, but this was with an expired trial, no tablet. I can remember pretty specifically that I had no tablet because I had to use the line tool to write my name. If crappy artist 14 year old me can manage this much, so can you.
32069 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Madison, Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 8/27/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:


Hakuotter wrote:



Hakuottero-o Well, if you have so many complaints, instead of griping about it, just don't enter. Some people are here to win, others are here for fun. We all know it's a promotional thing, and that's not bad. A few people were introduced to a great anime and light novel series through this. It looks like you want the subscription too. Why else would you have clicked on a thread for an series you're not a fan of? And they do make contests with other guidelines, like the haiku one. And a fanfic contest wouldn't be practical more because of the length and number of entries, not ownership.
And yes you could win with ms paint. It's just a tool, like any other. The skill level of the user determines what the picture looks like. Absolutely nothing is prohibiting you from entering. Every computer comes with some sort of drawing/image program. There are several online for free as well, like GIMP. SAI, a widely used illustrating program, likely the same one the girl who drew the image that's been filling the last two pages used, is also online, with a free month long trial if I remember correctly.
And one last question - if you had a scanner, would you even enter?


MaxmattsmithI never said I'm not a fan of this anime I am a huge fan of sword art online I was talking about past contest where the entries didn't rely on facebook or scanners and I never said it was a bad thing that this is a advertising ploy only that is is a advertising ploy and that they don't care about how the contest is brought about as long as they sell product. It doesn't cost them anything to give away a few computer generated product codes to someone who doesn't already have a account and the top prize is most likely donated which I was hoping for but can't get either do to the scanner issue. As far as the free trail things go I am better with a pen then trying to draw with a mouse. I don't know anyone who can draw a straight line with a mouse. I could cut and paste images together and smooth the edges and change the color to form a whole new outfit but the face would still be a already used character and the outfit would be limited. I want to enter that is the whole problem that is why I am voicing my complaint. I can't write to customer service because there is no option for this stuff. When they judge the contest they will see this and hopefully they will not make contests in the future that are limited to people with certain equipment or belong to 3rd party sites. It is wrong to leave people out who don't belong to 3rd party groups or have certain stuff. Can you not see that. you are defending them either because you hope to gain brownie points in the contest or because you fail to see why I am am upset.


P: The latter. Also, you could use a few more commas, I had a bit of trouble reading this.
I'm not sure that any mods will read your message. It would probably be more productive to mail an admin, or use the contact us option. I'm not entirely sure why you'd bring up a past competition either.
And yes, Crunchyroll's contests are sort of sloppy sometimes and they are trying to market something. But that's sort of the point. Why else would they host one? For fun, no prizes? No one would enter. It's not even aggressive, in your face marketing.
And if you don't have a scanner or camera, surely you have a friend you could borrow from? If not, libraries occasionally have them too. There are resources out there. Most drawing programs also have some sort of line tool as well, so drawing straight lines isn't a problem. Half of my lineart isn't hand drawn.
I think asking the thread for tips on how to draw digitally would have been far more productive than writing a rant.


Yes my mom has one but I won't be able to see her for a few weeks the contest would be over by then. If I still lived in Florida the libraries would have them but I live in NH now and this hick state's libraries don't have squat. Hell they are hardly ever even open.


I don't think anyone is trying to pick on you or anything. You just aren't making a logical argument. So you want to draw it but you don't have a scanner and you don't have anywhere you can go to use a scanner in a week. Honestly, if you wanted to draw it and then mail it to me I'd be willing to scan it for you.

8182 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / -points to vi- <...
Offline
Posted 8/27/12 , edited 8/27/12

SonjaArashi wrote:
Crap, I think you beat me. That looks like actual character art there. Nicely done!

Thanks :D

ViperEagle wrote:
Haha love it!

xD Glad you enjoyed that random piece of randomness. Photobomb FTW :L

And @all the RO comments. WOOT! \o/



Don't look down on MS Paint just because you aren't planning to put in time and effort to use it. It has all the functions you need and if you work hard enough, its the same as any other program. And this -> http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/ <- you can download that for free no payment ever.

And if you hate advertising ploys, then don't be part of it, simple as that. Let those who want to enjoy it, enjoy it and don't make it such a big deal. Like for fanfic comps, its not fair for people who dont speak english or have horrible literacy skills. Tada, there's no such thing as equality in this world, learn to suck it up and ignore it or do something about it. There people out there who dont have a computer/laptop, internet, or have that illness where they're hands are constantly shaking and cant draw. You on the other hand have enough options, you just chose not to act on them. The organizers have every right to make the contest however they like. ViperEagle even offered you his help, so if you truly want to enter this competition, there is nothing stopping you at all.

JUST DO IT!
Do it!
-doit
-doit.. [off topic: anyone else reckon when Gin says that it sounds a bit like justaway o-o?]
65570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Colorado, USA
Offline
Posted 8/27/12
On the topic of free art programs, I'd like to remind people of the existence of DeviantArt's Muro web app. Having to download nothing should be appealing to some people. Also the program "records" the drawing and has a playback feature.
http://muro.deviantart.com/
2260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / on the chair
Offline
Posted 8/27/12 , edited 8/27/12

Maxmattsmith wrote:



Maxmattsmith wrote:This would be great except for the scan thing. Is it just me or am I the only one on here that does not have a scanner? I don't have a use for a scanner and excluding me from this contest because I don't have one is upsetting. For those who are about to say, "well this is a use for it" or something along those lines. I am not going to go out and buy a expensive piece of equipment to enter contests.






Hi,
about your scanner issue, I used my mobile phone in order to take a picture of my entry and connected it to my computer to upload the pencil'd image. Now, since your phone cannot do this, does it have the function to connect to the web? I suggest you sign into your email account or something on your phone and send the image to yourself as an attachment. That way you should be able to re-open it on a computer.

I'm currently overseas so I don't have access to a proper scanner either, but I'm trying, have uploaded my rough entry to this thread (page 11 i think) and am currently in the process of using my mouse to 'redraw' my image using the "pen tool" option (that i've just figured out how to use by following tutorials) in a portable version of photoshop cs3 (of which i searched on the web for and downloaded yesterday) so I can repost a coloured version. Please consider downloading this software as well so you can draw with your mouse without it looking like a stick figure too. We still have a few days in order to learn.

Anyway, on a lighter note, everyone's enthusiasm here on this thread is infectious
Posted 8/27/12
Sounds fun! I'm not good at drawing anime but I will try my best since I love drawing! ^_^
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Planet Vegeta
Offline
Posted 8/27/12
everyone is so good at drawing and colouring photoshop professionals!
50886 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30
Offline
Posted 8/27/12 , edited 8/27/12
@teenswagmaster: It doesn't have to be anime style. It can be whatever style you prefer as long as its fits the criteria of the contest.

@Maxmattsmith: Although I think the how "injustice" and "biasesness towards the technological stuff incline" (my words not yours) of the contest is kind of being blown out of proportion, I do see your point in how it still excludes some people from entering. But you do realize that in this day in age, its getting more and more rare for someone NOT to have a type of method for digital means of posting images and transferring physical media to digital one way or another. CR and most sites just go with what a good majority of what their fans have access to. Maybe CR needs to do a poll to get a real head count but you can't blame CR for assuming that most people with internet access and hardware strong enough for stream or the money to get a device that can stream in general, would also have some method to post digital whether it be a scanner or curde phone or digital camera photo. People who can't draw or just too embarrassed by their drawings are in the same spot you are. They are probably wishing the contest required something else. But hey, that is the general nature of contests at times: Requirements. Lately SailorBee just tends to reach out towards the fan artist community.

But if you want help here. Draw your image. Get a USB flash drive ($5 - $20), take your picture to a Wal-Mart or printing shop, have them copy the image and transfer it to your flash drive. IF somehow your laptop/computer doesn't even have a USB port then head to your local library or computer cafe and use their computers to post your image. If you REALLY want to enter then that's your only way right now short of buying a cheap printer/scanner for like $50 - 60.
5043 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 8/27/12


I made a second one listing the skills I would have. x__x
First  Prev  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.