First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
Posted 8/22/12 , edited 8/22/12
As per usual, apologies if this thread, or one you deem similar, has been posted before.


If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
Posted 8/22/12
I already live my life to the fullest now, but, I would probably want to live it much "fuller." And enjoy my youth while it lasts. When I become an adult, I would probably work harder to accomplish my dreams, and spend as much time with my loved ones. I'd want to die happy. I might die at the age of 30 if 40 was the average.
58197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12 , edited 8/22/12
? There would be no difference. The average human life spam is around 70 years old, (obviously some genders,race, etc have a higher average). Even with this knowledge we don't really do anything special in our lives... In the past the reality was that 40 was the life expectancy, and most people lived normal lives. The age of "adulthood" came sooner and the age of marriage was a lot younger. THat would probably be the only difference
Posted 8/22/12

aragas711 wrote:

? There would be no difference. The average human life spam is around 70 years old, (obviously some genders,race, etc have a higher average). Even with this knowledge we don't really do anything special in our lives... In the past the reality was that 40 was the life expectancy, and most people lived normal lives. The age of "adulthood" came sooner and the age of marriage was a lot younger. THat would probably be the only difference


It's higher than 70, the average is much closer to 80 than 70, particularly in the case of females. If you're going to whip out statistics, at least make them accurate.
The difference between 40 and 80 is large and considering there are many elderly people exceeding the so called average it simply broadens the gap more. Even taking into consideration the lowest average of over 75 there is still a large gap, what you're stating "makes no difference" fills up a significant portion of your life span. This is simply a rhetorical question and more so looking into the psychological aspect of things.
Posted 8/22/12
human with 40 year life span might happen on the year 2100 because of chemicals and diabetes.
58197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
What did you want people to say? They would go to college? Spend more time with loved ones? Work towards being a better person? Wonderful aspirations but very unlikely.

Aside from difference in passage of adulthood and the age of marriage, what did you think was going to change? In our past the reality was that we would only live up to 40. Even lower. We weren't really thinking about how to live life to the fullest, We have double the time now, and the majority of the world still isn't considering how they could spend their time. It's the opposite, now that we have more time, we are becoming lazier, procrastinating, etc.

Statistics show that most people do not want to know exactly when they would die. Why? There can be many explanations. But think about it like this. A man who has lived 30 years of his life has suddenly discovered he has stage 4 brain cancer. He has been given 6 months to live. This man may try to change who he is, live out his life to the fullest. Now lets say we live in a society that only allowed us 30 years to live. This has been the reality of our society for generations. Just like now, some people may think, 30 years? That's a short amount of time, I need to live life to the fullest. But again, there are going to be people who just live out their lives in a very typical and normal fashion for someone who lives up to 30.

We have the luxury of wondering what the hell people do and think if they were only going to half the amount of time we have now. But the reality is, just because the average lifespan is around 75~80 years in age, we may not even see that.
Posted 8/22/12


Humans would have pushed themselves to accomplish a lot more things with only a 40 years life span. Even if it is 40 years that's still too much. Humans spend a lot of their time basking in their laziness and not enough time doing something significant.

A Lion lives at most 10-14 years in the wild and can accomplish all of it's life in that time. Some humans live to 70 haven't even done anything significant and die. A Lion goes out into the wild and hunt for it's pride so that they won't starve. A human goes into the shops and buys a bag of chips because their tummy is talking.

However I guess I can argue that rather than having physical battles in life, humans take a psychological side like love, friendship and the many choices we will make in life. Why? Because for normal average humans, the needs of food and shelter are easily accessed so we don't need to worry about those things. But what is psychological? To humans it is important, we spend a lot of our time 'thinking' about every aspect in order to reach some sort of happiness and fulfilment. We seek to find a purpose. What about an animal? Animals don't have those sort of privileges. They don't have the time to be thinking at every turn they make. Their lives is as simple as to hunt, reproduce and die because if they were to think about it, they would die before they knew what happened.

If our lives were to be shortened I wonder whether it will change the way we go things in life, or will most of still be spending most of our time sitting down rather than walking? What if we were to shorten it what a Lion lives? Would we even care about happiness and achieving fulfilment? No. Our lives would be as simple as to hunt, reproduce and die. We don't have to time to 'think'. Our lives have turned to a physical battle rather than psychological one.

There's so many ways to look at it and so many questions to span from it. Obviously these are only my opinions and theories, don't take them as correct. But, yeah. This is what I can think of at this time.
Posted 8/22/12
I'd probably be even more reckless than I currently am, if that's possible
Posted 8/22/12

aragas711 wrote:

What did you want people to say? They would go to college? Spend more time with loved ones? Work towards being a better person? Wonderful aspirations but very unlikely.

Aside from difference in passage of adulthood and the age of marriage, what did you think was going to change? In our past the reality was that we would only live up to 40. Even lower. We weren't really thinking about how to live life to the fullest, We have double the time now, and the majority of the world still isn't considering how they could spend their time. It's the opposite, now that we have more time, we are becoming lazier, procrastinating, etc.

Statistics show that most people do not want to know exactly when they would die. Why? There can be many explanations. But think about it like this. A man who has lived 30 years of his life has suddenly discovered he has stage 4 brain cancer. He has been given 6 months to live. This man may try to change who he is, live out his life to the fullest. Now lets say we live in a society that only allowed us 30 years to live. This has been the reality of our society for generations. Just like now, some people may think, 30 years? That's a short amount of time, I need to live life to the fullest. But again, there are going to be people who just live out their lives in a very typical and normal fashion for someone who lives up to 30.

We have the luxury of wondering what the hell people do and think if they were only going to half the amount of time we have now. But the reality is, just because the average lifespan is around 75~80 years in age, we may not even see that.


What I want people to say is what they think. We're all individual therefore different people will have different views on this topic. Of course the situation is different because in that time the average life span increased from what society was used to. Had the situation been the other way around, being used to a longer life span and then having it decrease dramatically, society as a whole would surely react but I digress. This discussion isn't about what man kind as a whole would do but you as an individual with your own current life experiences and so forth would do; although you raised agreeable points that surely would be of interest to further analyze.
Posted 8/22/12

Naicisum wrote:



Humans would have pushed themselves to accomplish a lot more things with only a 40 years life span. Even if it is 40 years that's still too much. Humans spend a lot of their time basking in their laziness and not enough time doing something significant.

A Lion lives at most 10-14 years in the wild and can accomplish all of it's life in that time. Some humans live to 70 haven't even done anything significant and die. A Lion goes out into the wild and hunt for it's pride so that they won't starve. A human goes into the shops and buys a bag of chips because their tummy is talking.

However I guess I can argue that rather than having physical battles in life, humans take a psychological side like love, friendship and the many choices we will make in life. Why? Because for normal average humans, the needs of food and shelter are easily accessed so we don't need to worry about those things. But what is psychological? To humans it is important, we spend a lot of our time 'thinking' about every aspect in order to reach some sort of happiness and fulfilment. We seek to find a purpose. What about an animal? Animals don't have those sort of privileges. They don't have the time to be thinking at every turn they make. Their lives is as simple as to hunt, reproduce and die because if they were to think about it, they would die before they knew what happened.

If our lives were to be shortened I wonder whether it will change the way we go things in life, or will most of still be spending most of our time sitting down rather than walking? What if we were to shorten it what a Lion lives? Would we even care about happiness and achieving fulfilment? No. Our lives would be as simple as to hunt, reproduce and die. We don't have to time to 'think'. Our lives have turned to a physical battle rather than psychological one.

There's so many ways to look at it and so many questions to span from it. Obviously these are only my opinions and theories, don't take them as correct. But, yeah. This is what I can think of at this time.


I find this an interesting comparison between mankind and beast. It truly depicts the qualities that we as humans have as opposed to beasts that cause us to live drastically different lives - aside from our capability to learn linguistics, to have a mind of our own and so forth. When it comes down to it psychological development occurs over a long period of time - in fact from the moment an individual is born to the moment they pass away. If the life span was drastically reduced, perhaps to that of a Lion's life span, then no doubt humanity would be forced into repeating these basic necessities for life until death pulls a veil over their life - for if we didn't, humans would become extinct. The theories and opinions you raised heavily remind me of Huxley's novel "Brave New World" where 'community' is established through sexual promiscuity and the abolishment of devoted relationships fueled by emotions with a single other individual. Surely man kind would lose their sense of intimacy and reproduce for the sake of being generative for future generations.
92 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / Mexico
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
I'll probably take more risks!
68544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
I would stop going to college now and just try my luck at the lottery lol
75432 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
I'd be a ghost for 5 years so I guess I'd be haunting and billowing out of cupboards and stuff.

Boo!
734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
No difference.

I plan on doing everything on my bucket list before 30 anyways.
toxxin 
43361 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / In my own little...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
I plan to off myself in a skydiving "accident" on my 40th birthday anyways so I wouldn't change a thing.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.