First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12 , edited 8/22/12
back on topic I don't think a shorter (but still measured in years) lifespan would change people much at all. It is the proximity of death, the appreciation of mortality I think that leads to sentiments such as:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-Eosmk6oE

AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDkWBvxHEI


These sentiments wouldn't occur to a 15 year old even in a society that practiced euthanasia at age 21. but they might occur to a twenty something on the cusp of their birthday.


Years seem like forever, the more so, the younger you are. a year was an eternity when I was a teenager. Now I can be bemused at the way decades (emphasis on the plural) have slipped through my hands, some years lived well. others.. .not so much.


have death knocking on your door, and it's a different prospect.



75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12

DeliriumOxide wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:



heh... can't argue with that. Myself If I WERE a ghost I'd be tempted to emulate the Dark Horse comics super heroine named Ghost. An insubstantial mind game playing vigilante with a pair of blazing .45's



That's the spirit. As for me, considering I'm not a ghost, I'd work on learning and becoming conversationally versed in as many languages as I could, traveling as much as I could, raising my son right, enjoying time off from work or study with Anime, friends, family, what have you, so...pretty much what I've been doing. I could always get a couple .45s too...I wouldn't count that out. Protection and all.


Legally Owning handguns is a pain in the ass and not much use for self defense in my country. I sold off my Inglis Hi-power, Remington-Rand 1911A1, and S&W .38 a long time ago, when it was a choice between going to the range to stay legal or financing another class towards my nursing qualifications.

But target shooting was fun when I could afford it.

4507 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
Way back in time in the times of kings and queens the normal lifespan was around 30-50 before getting killed by some random disease. So I believe our times of regularly doing things would be accelerated like back in the old times. Getting married at like 16 being the usual instead of around 24-32. Having kids at a younger age.

Regardless of my hypothesis on the situation. I probably would still be exactly the same. Still watching anime and playing videogames, and still being bored half the time. Yeah almost nothing would change for me if that happened.

Excuse me if my history lesson at the beginning is completely wrong. I'm not a history expert I just remember stuff like that being said in history classes. Oh yeah and in movies
41282 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
Hmmm I would still like the same way as I do not. And just accept my fate when the time came
Posted 8/22/12 , edited 8/22/12
If the average lifespan was 40 years there would be some serious historical consequences. There probably be a lot less technological advances than we have now. Education would be limited, teachers hard to come by. New social and cultural differences would be adapted at faster rate due to the deaths of people who would hold more conservative ideas. History would be more distorted and even more prone to repeat itself. World leaders would be put in positions of power with even less experience. We would probably still be in the classical / medieval era. I don't know what I would be doing. I wouldn't be me. Crazy hypothetical question is crazy.

edit: I've been playing too much civ 5
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12

karmacide wrote:

If the average lifespan was 40 years there would be some serious historical consequences. There probably be a lot less technological advances than we have now. Education would be limited, teachers hard to come by. New social and cultural differences would be adapted at faster rate due to the deaths of people who would hold more conservative ideas. History would be more distorted and even more prone to repeat itself. World leaders would be put in positions of power with even less experience. We would probably still be in the classical / medieval era. I don't know what I would be doing. I wouldn't be me. Crazy hypothetical question is crazy.

edit: I've been playing too much civ 5


Actually the average human lifespan has been closer to 40 for a much longer time in history than it has been anywhere near the current average.

so um... No. there wouldn't have been.

Posted 8/22/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


karmacide wrote:

If the average lifespan was 40 years there would be some serious historical consequences. There probably be a lot less technological advances than we have now. Education would be limited, teachers hard to come by. New social and cultural differences would be adapted at faster rate due to the deaths of people who would hold more conservative ideas. History would be more distorted and even more prone to repeat itself. World leaders would be put in positions of power with even less experience. We would probably still be in the classical / medieval era. I don't know what I would be doing. I wouldn't be me. Crazy hypothetical question is crazy.

edit: I've been playing too much civ 5


Actually the average human lifespan has been closer to 40 for a much longer time in history than it has been anywhere near the current average.

so um... No. there wouldn't have been.



I put like thirty seconds of thought into that post. If you want me to become a google expert on it real fast I will, but I don't really feel like it right now.
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/22/12

karmacide wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


karmacide wrote:

If the average lifespan was 40 years there would be some serious historical consequences. There probably be a lot less technological advances than we have now. Education would be limited, teachers hard to come by. New social and cultural differences would be adapted at faster rate due to the deaths of people who would hold more conservative ideas. History would be more distorted and even more prone to repeat itself. World leaders would be put in positions of power with even less experience. We would probably still be in the classical / medieval era. I don't know what I would be doing. I wouldn't be me. Crazy hypothetical question is crazy.

edit: I've been playing too much civ 5


Actually the average human lifespan has been closer to 40 for a much longer time in history than it has been anywhere near the current average.

so um... No. there wouldn't have been.



I put like thirty seconds of thought into that post. If you want me to become a google expert on it real fast I will, but I don't really feel like it right now.


It's okay. the logic is great but only if you assume the current lifespan is the the one we've had back to prehistoric times. and it's not. In certain times and places the average human lifespan was barely twenty years. we look at 65 as the age where we can begin to enjoy another twenty years of not having to work. but that arbitrary number was established barely two hundred years ago in a time an place with it was nearly 5 years older than the expected life span. in other words 'wow.. 65.. and still alive. take a break for the few minutes you've got left."



Posted 8/22/12

papagolfwhiskey wrote:


karmacide wrote:


papagolfwhiskey wrote:


karmacide wrote:

If the average lifespan was 40 years there would be some serious historical consequences. There probably be a lot less technological advances than we have now. Education would be limited, teachers hard to come by. New social and cultural differences would be adapted at faster rate due to the deaths of people who would hold more conservative ideas. History would be more distorted and even more prone to repeat itself. World leaders would be put in positions of power with even less experience. We would probably still be in the classical / medieval era. I don't know what I would be doing. I wouldn't be me. Crazy hypothetical question is crazy.

edit: I've been playing too much civ 5


Actually the average human lifespan has been closer to 40 for a much longer time in history than it has been anywhere near the current average.

so um... No. there wouldn't have been.



I put like thirty seconds of thought into that post. If you want me to become a google expert on it real fast I will, but I don't really feel like it right now.


It's okay. the logic is great but only if you assume the current lifespan is the the one we've had back to prehistoric times. and it's not. In certain times and places the average human lifespan was barely twenty years. we look at 65 as the age where we can begin to enjoy another twenty years of not having to work. but that arbitrary number was established barely two hundred years ago in a time an place with it was nearly 5 years older than the expected life span. in other words 'wow.. 65.. and still alive. take a break for the few minutes you've got left."



I wish you hadn't of said it, now I want to compare the average life span in time periods with the ages of the influential leaders, philosophers and scientists. I was happy with my baseless stoner rant. -_-
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
40 years? Damn! Uhhhhhh....... I think I will probably live my life the same way I have always been, a lax uneventful life. I may start blowing more stuff up though just for the thrill.
2780 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / F
Offline
Posted 8/22/12
YOLO!
8782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Gotham City
Offline
Posted 8/23/12
I would probably marry at 12 and have kids at 13.

And die of tuberculosis at 17.

Yeahhhhh.
4747 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/23/12
Spend more time with family and friends, finish school early, get married, have kids, raise kids, and eventually die happy after seeing and accomplishing everything I ever wanted to.
28158 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / university of cal...
Offline
Posted 8/23/12
i wouldnt get married ever if i was only going to live till 40
75430 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 8/24/12

Winterfells wrote:

I would probably marry at 12 and have kids at 13.

And die of tuberculosis at 17.

Yeahhhhh.


Oh like most of the world during the late renaissance early industrial era. Not counting the zillions of babies that died before they were five.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.